April 19, 2024, 06:49:02 AM

Author Topic: Why do some people have all the luck while others are perpetually unlucky?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
Why do some people have all the luck while others are perpetually unlucky? Professor Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire was determined to get to the scientific bottom of the phenomenon of luck, and what he discovered may surprise you:

I placed advertisements in national newspapers asking for people who felt consistently lucky or unlucky to contact me.

Hundreds of extraordinary men and women volunteered for my research and over the years, have been interviewed by me. I have monitored their lives and had them take part in experiments. The results reveal that although these people have almost no insight into the causes of their luck, their thoughts and behaviour are responsible for much of their good and bad fortune. Take the case of seemingly chance opportunities. Lucky people consistently encounter such opportunities, whereas unlucky people do not.

I carried out a simple experiment to discover whether this was due to differences in their ability to spot such opportunities. I gave both lucky and unlucky people a newspaper, and asked them to look through it and tell me how many photographs were inside. I had secretly placed a large message halfway through the newspaper saying: 'Tell the experimenter you have seen this and win $50'.

This message took up half of the page and was written in type that was more than two inches high. It was staring everyone straight in the face, but the unlucky people tended to miss it and the lucky people tended to spot it.

Unlucky people are generally more tense than lucky people, and this anxiety disrupts their ability to notice the unexpected.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I say is some Malcolm Gladwell yuh dropping ...

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So lucky to have met you Rancid... ;D
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
steups. It's all in the mindset of the individual. Some people see an opportunity and think about ways to make it work while others see the same thing and think about how it could go wrong. I am sure the unlucky people see  the ad and write it off before it even occurred to them to take advantage of it.

I worked with a woman who swear she was unlucky and used to gripe bout nothing good ever happening to her. The woman was such a negative person that I could only spend a few minutes around her before I had to move. I was never surprised when anything bad happened because it was like she subconsciously sabotaged everything she did and tried to get negative outcomes so she could justify her negative outlook. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
here here grimm.. :beermug:

1]; } ?>