April 20, 2024, 12:11:14 AM

Author Topic: After Ghana Snub, Nigeria Turns to Reggae Boyz  (Read 17610 times)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
After Ghana Snub, Nigeria Turns to Reggae Boyz
« on: December 31, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
After Ghana Snub, Nigeria Turns to Reggae Boyz

Nigeria has turned to old foes Jamaica for an international friendly after West African rivals Ghana opted to play Egypt. “Ghana have decided for reasons of their own to play Egypt instead of us after negotiations had reached advanced stages,” a disappointed Super Eagles head coach Shaibu Amodu said yesterday.

“So now we are looking at Jamaica, but we will only know for sure in the new year."

The Super Eagles coach explained that the choice of Jamaica was a forced hand as attempts to arrange games with other African countries are proving difficult. “Most of these countries already have games lined up, and it seems as if others just don’t want to play us,” he adds.

Amodu added that he was especially disappointed at the Ghana snub because an almost certain game against Namibia was jettisoned to make room for the Black Stars.

“We had a game against Namibia lined up, but we decided to pick Ghana because we felt it is always better for us to play against strong African sides. And now that option is no longer available because the Ghanaians left it so late, and then went on to take Egypt.

“But we will hopefully get Jamaica in London. The important thing is for us to get together as a group, keep ourselves busy and talk to each other as a team before we face our first game.”
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) in its bid to beat time is shopping for other countries after Ghana dramatically shunned a friendly match with the Super Eagles billed for February 11, a FIFA free day.

NFF spokesman Ademola Olajire had told THISDAYSports Monday night that talks were on with Zambia, Sudan and the third country understood to be Mali, to help knock the Eagles in shape for their South Africa 2010 Group B trip to Mozambique, after discussions was stalled with the Ghana Football Association (GFA). Now, the Jamaica friendly appears last resort so as not to waste the FIFA free day.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Re: After Ghana Snub, Nigeria Turns to Reggae Boyz
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »
Might just be a facking SLAP-FEST amongst dem yardies when dey all get together........ :rotfl:
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
ghana opt for some real competition.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:20:34 AM by capodetutticapi »
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:18:32 AM »
I guess they could not find anyone better.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:33:11 AM »
I guess they could not find anyone better.

de_redman, you are absolutely correct. Like the article pointed out, Nigeria wanted Ghana, but Ghana blanked them for Egypt. With most countries involved in World cup qualifying on Feb 11th, Jamaica might very well be their best available option. If you check the games Jamaica have played Nigeria over the years..you will realise that the games have been closely matched...2-1 , 1-1 the last 2...Jamaica beat them in Kingston some years ago.

Hope it comes off though. When you are dealing with Nigeraia, you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »
how much for a Nigerian shin pad ??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:04:42 AM »
how much for a Nigerian shin pad ??

Jamaica vs Nigeria over the years

Nigeria 1:0 (0:0) Jamaica
18/05/2002 London Friendly

Nigeria 0:0 Jamaica
20/11/2002 Lagos Friendly

Jamaica 3:2 (2:0) Nigeria
25/05/2003 Kingston Friendly

Nigeria 2:0 (1:0) Jamaica
31/05/2004 London Friendly

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:52:15 AM »
I find it funny when grown men have to resort to posting cartoon pictures to get their message accross. ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »
All yuh gettin betta keep it up in 09.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »
should be a decent game

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »
I find it really funny how the Nigerian coach groaning about how Ghana blank them after advanced negotiations.......and then talking about how they self blank Namibia after advanced negotiations.

Maybe Ghana thought they couldn't trust those non-committal Nigerians. See how the Namibia game fall through..Steeups. Lewwe play Egypt and get a sure sweat oui  ;D

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »
I find it funny when grown men have to resort to posting cartoon pictures to get their message accross. ;D

Well! Knowing what a scorefest would have happened if T&T had ever played Nigeria. You should understand why. ;)
jjbrown

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 01:51:36 PM »
I find it really funny how the Nigerian coach groaning about how Ghana blank them after advanced negotiations.......and then talking about how they self blank Namibia after advanced negotiations.

Maybe Ghana thought they couldn't trust those non-committal Nigerians. See how the Namibia game fall through..Steeups. Lewwe play Egypt and get a sure sweat oui  ;D

Isnt Jack Warner looking to secure a friendly game vs Nigeria to make up for T&T's absence at the Gold cup?
I could also see teams like the USA etc using Jamaica as warm up games for T&T...wonder how that would go down with Jack Arner. We all remember the Bahrain vs Jamaica debacle.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:03 PM »

Isnt Jack Warner looking to secure a friendly game vs Nigeria to make up for T&T's absence at the Gold cup?
I could also see teams like the USA etc using Jamaica as warm up games for T&T...wonder how that would go down with Jack Arner. We all remember the Bahrain vs Jamaica debacle.

Think he wants the Nigeria friendly as a warm up for our World Cup qualifiers.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 02:07:34 PM »
I remember the England Vs Jamaica game too  :rotfl: :rotfl:
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 02:18:03 PM »
I remember the England Vs Jamaica game too  :rotfl: :rotfl:

I bet you dont remeber the Ja 6 - 0 T&T game played some years ago  ;)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »

Reggae fan..I made a comment criticising the irony of the Nigerianian coach whining about Ghana given the treatment of Namibia. Your reponse must have been meant for someone else who actually had something negative to say about JA. Unless you just enjoy being a troll

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »

Considering that you wnt be able to assemble your full strength squad between now and Feb 11, you will be well advised not to play Nigeria or any decent intl team. Nigeria aint no Grenada.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »

Considering that you wnt be able to assemble your full strength squad between now and Feb 11, you will be well advised not to play Nigeria or any decent intl team. Nigeria aint no Grenada.

should we play Jamaica then  ;)

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »
Good for reggae boyz. Cant knock them. I want to know why Trini dont get any offers to play African teams? The truth is that more teams will line up to play JA than Trini. Not because they might beat them but because JA is just taken more serious for some reason(even after the 6-0 England game).  

I always reading threads about big teams wanting to play JA but Trini aint getting any offers. Trini and JA in the same level of competition. But if the top 50 teams in the world were asked who they would rather play or who would give them a better match, I think the majority will probably choose JA.

Man to man soca warriors is better than reggae boyz(hands down). The top soca warrior will outclass the top reggae boy. But reggae boyz is probably considered as more  serious competition by big teams. Most of all reggae boyz name is out there more or more established than soca warriors.

Big teams are more interested in playing JA instead of Trini. And it has nothing to do fearing the soca warriors.
No one can argue that. And yes I support soca warriors 100%.

btw Who is our next friendly against?

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »
should we play Jamaica then  ;)

sure...by all means. We are looking for games actually, and will always relish a game vs our little brothers from down south.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »
Reggae fan..I made a comment criticising the irony of the Nigerianian coach whining about Ghana given the treatment of Namibia. Your reponse must have been meant for someone else who actually had something negative to say about JA. Unless you just enjoy being a troll

UYeah, that was supposed to be response to the post above yours.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:31:48 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »

I think you talking bout the other RF, this fella reggea-fan is actually ah decent guy that just wants to talk football , the other RF on the other hand does spell him name reggeafan and he's ah hero warrior with 5 stars as opposed to this reggea-fan who is ah full warrior with three stars. two differant ppl with defferant dispositions.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »
just cool

Doh take that chain up...is the same poster.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 06:49:14 PM »
just cool
Doh take that chain up...is the same poster.

True. I had to "re-register" when the forum changed last year.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 07:10:23 PM »
Good for reggae boyz. Cant knock them. I want to know why Trini dont get any offers to play African teams? The truth is that more teams will line up to play JA than Trini. Not because they might beat them but because JA is just taken more serious for some reason(even after the 6-0 England game). 

I always reading threads about big teams wanting to play JA but Trini aint getting any offers. Trini and JA in the same level of competition. But if the top 50 teams in the world were asked who they would rather play or who would give them a better match, I think the majority will probably choose JA.

Man to man soca warriors is better than reggae boyz(hands down). The top soca warrior will outclass the top reggae boy. But reggae boyz is probably considered as more  serious competition by big teams. Most of all reggae boyz name is out there more or more established than soca warriors.

Big teams are more interested in playing JA instead of Trini. And it has nothing to do fearing the soca warriors.
No one can argue that. And yes I support soca warriors 100%.

btw Who is our next friendly against?

Let me attempt to  break it down for you. "Jamaica" is a world reknowned brand (reggae-music, sports, tourism). many will also tell you that we leave our mark on the world in a rather negative way as well (gangs etc). We produce world class athletes, music, and our culture is very much sought after all over the world.

Ask anybody who Bob Marly is or Usain Bolt.

Our football has held its own since we qualified for France'98. We havent been spectatuclar, but we have held our own. The fact that we have played the likes of Nigeria, Ghana, Bulgaria, norway, Brazil, england etc in friendly international games speaks to the level of respect we get in internatrional football.

Maybe when Jack Warner disappers from the scene T&T football will get beter respect.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:26:24 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »

Our football has held its own since we qualified for France'98. We havent been spectatuclar, but we have held our own.

and may your team continue to hold their own through 2010 World Cup qualifying. :beermug:

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

Our football has held its own since we qualified for France'98. We havent been spectatuclar, but we have held our own.

and may your team continue to hold their own through 2010 World Cup qualifying. :beermug:

And most Jamaicans are generally please with the exploits in the recently concluded WCQ games. Back to back to back wins against Mexico, Honduras and Canada is nothing to be ashamed of.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »
Reggae fan still fighting the good fight ..fight on brotha lol

1]; } ?>