April 28, 2024, 02:10:32 AM

Author Topic: Squad Selection  (Read 1709 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Squad Selection
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »
I for one criticise Gally on this forum and lay the blame solely on him for us not qualify for WC '90. However I've always praised him for two things 1. he was a great motivator and 2.he had a B squad training and playing international games albeit in the Caribbean.
 I personally think we need a second squad so that the coaches can get a better feel for the players and for the players to raise their standard/level and know what is expected at the next level.
I say these things because in picking the final squad there are always players left out that puzzle us the fans. Another view is that the the Head Coach explain his picks at a media conference as is done in some countries and has now been adopted by the WICBC .
What do you'll think?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Squad Selection
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:33:58 AM »
I for one criticise Gally on this forum and lay the blame solely on him for us not qualify for WC '90. However I've always praised him for two things 1. he was a great motivator and 2.he had a B squad training and playing international games albeit in the Caribbean.
 I personally think we need a second squad so that the coaches can get a better feel for the players and for the players to raise their standard/level and know what is expected at the next level.
I say these things because in picking the final squad there are always players left out that puzzle us the fans. Another view is that the the Head Coach explain his picks at a media conference as is done in some countries and has now been adopted by the WICBC .
What do you'll think?

Were there any players left out of the Strike Squad that puzzled you as a fan?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:36:59 AM »
What do you'll think?

As I said I've criticise Gally on numerous occasions on this forum and as mention all coaches have their favorites.One of the criticism that I had personally was leaving out foreign base players except Alibey.Nakhid,Haynes to name two.However it is the concept I'm talking about. I guess having a B squad play international games will have no benefits.

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:15 AM »
What do you'll think?

As I said I've criticise Gally on numerous occasions on this forum and as mention all coaches have their favorites.One of the criticism that I had personally was leaving out foreign base players except Alibey.Nakhid,Haynes to name two.However it is the concept I'm talking about. I guess having a B squad play international games will have no benefits.

Except for the name, we do have a B squad and they recently toured Argentina. Conceptually, this is what all national coaches have had to do because the core and majority of the team have been foreign based for some time.

In Gally's day, we only had about four foreign based (Nakhid, Alibey, Haynes,and Yorke) and only called on two.

I think given the up coming opposition, and the availability of our foreign players, the Argentina tour was adequate, come February 11 we will see if that is in fact the case.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »
The B squad was in Argentina and played in the Digicel and had we not fussed they were Maturana's A team

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
What do you'll think?

Except for the name, we do have a B squad and they recently toured Argentina. Conceptually, this is what all national coaches have had to do because the core and majority of the team have been foreign based for some time.

In Gally's day, we only had about four foreign based (Nakhid, Alibey, Haynes,and Yorke) and only called on two.

I think given the up coming opposition, and the availability of our foreign players, the Argentina tour was adequate, come February 11 we will see if that is in fact the case.

Yorke was not a foreign based player in 89.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
What do you'll think?

AND  granville
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 03:39:51 PM »
What do you'll think?

I might be wrong but i think these players were called,Richard Chinapoo,Ronald Simmonds,Veron Skinner.

1]; } ?>