April 28, 2024, 06:23:21 AM

Author Topic: The January Transfer Window Thread  (Read 7865 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Prem League extends transfer window due to global warming
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
i suppose this means that the much-anticipated Bradford v Darlington clash for tonight is cancelled.

sigh.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The January Transfer Window Thread
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »
http://www.4thegame.com/transfer-rumours/

Youssouf Mulumbu
Where is he? - Paris St Germain
Who is he linked with? - West Bromwich Albion

West Bromwich Albion boss Tony Mowbray has made the Paris St Germain midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu his third signing of the January transfer window. The 22-year-old moves to The Hawthorns on loan until the end of the season - with a view to a permanent deal. The DR Congo international has been with PSG since 2004, signing his first professional contract with the club in November 2006. He has made 68 appearances for the side form the French capital and also featured in 23 matches for Amiens last term on a season-long loan at the Ligue Two side. Mowbray has said of Mulumbu: "He's a young player with potential, who won't instantly impact on our first team."

Olivier Dacourt
Where is he? - Internazionale
Who is he linked with? - Fulham

With just minutes of the January transfer window left, Fulham have completed the signing of Internazionale midfielder Olivier Dacourt on loan for the rest of the season. The 34-year-old has a wealth of Premier League experience having played for Everton and Leeds United before joining AS Roma and then Inter in the summer of 2006. He has made 44 appearances for the Serie A side but has struggled to earn a starting spot in Jose Mourinho's team this term. Meanwhile, Danny Murphy has signed a new one-year extension to his current contract. The former Liverpool midfielder will now remain at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2010.

Andrei Arshavin
Where is he? - Zenit St Petersburg
Who is he linked with? - Arsenal

Arsenal's bid to sign Andrei Arshavin appears to be close to succeeding, according to reports that suggest he has already passed a medical at the club, with terms having been agreed with Zenit St Petersburg. The Russian midfielder travelled to London on Sunday evening in anticipation of a move to the Emirates Stadium. However, reports claimed on Monday morning that the 27-year-old playmaker had begun the journey back to Russia after failing to agree personal terms over his long-running switch to Arsenal. That now appears to have not been the case.

Robbie Keane
Where is he? - Liverpool
Who is he linked with? - Tottenham Hotspur

Liverpool have announced that they have reached agreement to sell Robbie Keane back to Tottenham Hotspur. A spokesperson from Anfield said: "Liverpool Football Club have reached agreement with Tottenham Hotspur for the sale of Robbie Keane." The Republic of Ireland international has failed to establish himself as a regular starter at Liverpool following his 20million move from Spurs last summer. Keane was left out of the Reds squad for Sunday's 2-0 victory over Chelsea amid growing speculation of a return to the north London club. After the game, Reds boss Rafael Benitez suggested the striker was highly likely to remain at Anfield as he was an important part of his squad. However, reports claim Spurs have seen a bid for their former captain accepted by the Merseyside club and that Keane is on his way to the capital to discuss terms. Liverpool are thought to have been interested in signing Spurs winger Aaron Lennon as part of any transfer. But the deal for Keane is believed to be cash only and involve no others players swapping clubs. The 28-year-old has scored seven goals in 28 appearances since swapping White Hart Lane for Anfield back in August.

Joao Alves Jo
Where is he? - Manchester City
Who is he linked with? - Everton

Everton have ended their lengthy search for a new striker by completing the signing of Manchester City's Jo on loan. The Brazil international has joined the Toffees on loan until the end of the season. The 21-year-old forward was brought to the City of Manchester Stadium last summer from CSKA Moscow in an 18million deal. However, he has been allowed to move on after failing to impress City boss Mark Hughes. Jo has scored three times in 18 appearances in all competitions, but has started only six Premier League games for the Citizens.

Henri Camara
Where is he? - Wigan Athletic
Who is he linked with? - Stoke City

Stoke City have bolstered their strikeforce on the final day of the transfer window by snapping up striker Henri Camara on loan. The 31-year-old Senegal international has joined the Potters until the end of the season from Wigan Athletic. Camara will join four other Senegal stars - Abdoulaye Faye, Amady Faye, Ibrahima Sonko and Salif Diao - at the Britannia Stadium. The former Wolves, Celtic and Southampton forward has been a fringe player for the majority of his four-year spell with the Latics. He has started just three Premier League games for Steve Bruce's side this season and was loaned out to West Ham United during the last campaign.

Angelos Basinas
Where is he? - AEK Athens
Who is he linked with? - Portsmouth

Portsmouth have signed their second Greece international of the transfer window after landing midfielder Angelos Basinas. The 33-year-old follows fellow countryman Theofanis Gekas into Fratton Park after agreeing an 18-month contract with the south coast club. Pompey boss Tony Adams landed striker Gekas from Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday before setting his sights on Greece international captain Basinas. Basinas has joined from AEK Athens and will bring experience to the Pompey midfield after winning 97 international caps. The former Panathinaikos and Real Mallorca midfielder was also the skipper of the Greece side which won the European Championship in 2004. "He's exactly what we need in the situation we're in," executive chairman Peter Storrie told the club's official website. "He's a player that Tony (Adams) was keen to bring in. He desperately wanted to come here and we have the option to sign him for a further year after the 18 months." Meanwhile, Pompey have turned down a fresh approach - believed to be from Bolton Wanderers - for midfielder Sean Davis.

Tal Ben-Haim
Where is he? - Manchester City
Who is he linked with? - Sunderland

Sunderland have completed the loan signing of Manchester City's Israel international centre-back Tal Ben Haim. The 26-year-old has worked with Black Cats boss Ricky Sbragia at Bolton Wanderers, having moved to England in the summer of 2004 from Maccabi Tel Aviv. Ben Haim spent three years with the Trotters before heading to Chelsea in June 2007, but has was on the move within a year, linking up with the Citizens last summer. However, the stopper has struggled to make a first-team impact with City and has opted to head to the Stadium of Light for the next few months. Sbragia told his club's official website: "It's a position we have been short in, so I'm delighted that Tal has joined us. I know all about him from his days at Bolton. He's got a lot of top-flight experience and he will be a great addition to our squad."

Theofanis Gekas
Where is he? - Bayer Leverkusen
Who is he linked with? - Portsmouth

Portsmouth have strengthened their squad with the signing of Greece striker Theofanis Gekas on loan from German club Bayer Leverkusen. The 28-year-old moves to Fratton Park until the end of the season, with the option of a permanent deal if he impresses. Gekas was the top-scorer in the Bundesliga in the 2006-07 season, scoring 21 times in 31 games for Bochum. That form earned him a move to Leverkusen, but he has struggled to hold down a regular starting spot, despite netting 15 goals in 53 appearances - half of which have come as a substitute. Pompey boss Tony Adams told the club's official website: "His goalscoring record is fantastic and he's always looking to score goals. He plays for the Greek national team and recently came on against Italy and scored. A couple of years ago he was the highest scorer in the Bundesliga. The Bundesliga is a fantastic league, so that's not an easy feat. He's a player that I think can come in and do really well straight away. He's certainly hungry to do well and hopefully he can hit the ground running."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:36:17 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
Wenger - I would abolish transfer window
By Chris Harris
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-would-abolish-transfer-window

Arsène Wenger's dislike for the January transfer window is well-documented.

Not only does the Frenchman tire of the endless speculation which greets every New Year, he also believes the system is flawed because it handicaps those who cannot compete with the richest clubs in the land.

Wenger believes the Premier League has the power to revamp its own transfer rules and he would prefer an 'all or nothing' solution in which the transfer window is open - or closed - for the entire season.

"[If the transfer window was closed all season] at least you know if you make a mistake during the summer you are punished and you have to stand up for it during the whole season," he said.

"I speak completely open because I do not want you to think I am having a go at Man City, but Man City are in a position where they fight against relegation. But they have so many financial resources that of course they will not fight against relegation. They will fight maybe for European places.

"So the other clubs who fight with them, not to be relegated, have a big handicap because they do not have the same resources in the middle of the season. But everybody could understand at the start of the season you have exactly what you have then.

"Of course [the Premier League can change it]. I don't think that Uefa and Fifa will be against that. You could still buy a player and play him abroad, but not be capable to play him in your championship."

"I'm not a fanatic for it [the system I propose] but, if you ask me what is my preference I say 'Yes, completely closed or completely open'."

Wenger has long argued the case for clubs to operate within their natural resources instead of living beyond their means. But he admits that his preferred system is little more than a pipedream in the modern age.

"Basically you could judge really the managers if you say to the 20 clubs in the league 'You have £20million, show me what you can do, everybody.'," said Wenger.

"Then you can judge. Give everybody the same resources, go out in the world, make your team, come back and show me who is the best. But it will never happen."

[Friday, January 30, 2009]

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »
today action so far.

PREMIER LEAGUE TRANSFER TRACKER:
In: Everton (Jo), Fulham (Dacourt, Gray), Newcastle (Taylor), Portsmouth (Basinas), Stoke (Camara), Tottenham (Keane), West Brom (Menseguez, Mulumbu), Wigan (N'Zogbia)

Out: Fulham (Leijer,Teymourian), Liverpool (Gulacsi, Hamill, Keane), Man City (Jo), Man Utd (Chester), Newcastle (N'Zogbia), Portsmouth (Hyland), Sunderland (Chopra), Wigan (Camara, Taylor)

1517: Portsmouth's 19-year-old Trinidad & Tobago defensive midfielder Khaleem Hyland has signed on a six-month loan for Belgian club Zulte Waregem. How can you be a defensive midfielder at only 19? That's borderline farcical. Maybe he'll learn how to play in a normal midfield position while he's in Belgium.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:53:17 PM by Andre »

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »
Spuds only need Jol, Malbranque Tianio and Berbatov back and they are were they were 2 years ago ;D

I wonder what Levy is thinking

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
I'm happy for Robbie Keane....Rafa is a c**t...The Liverpool fans on skysportsnews are absolutely disgusted with Liverpool and Rafa for not giving the lad a good chance and are even more pissed that they didnt bring in a replacement...

I hope he buries them when next they play

As for Arshavin....everything seemed done...but..news coming in from Zenit is the deal has collapsed... i feel it for Arshavin as he is a brilliant player and I would have loved if Utd could have bought him...but maybe a summer bid if the deal really has collapsed.... Skysportsnews said an announcement would be made in an hour

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »
Spuds only need Jol, Malbranque Tianio and Berbatov back and they are were they were 2 years ago ;D

I wonder what Levy is thinking

Probably wondering exactly how much more money he can launder before people catch on :D

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »
1856: Transfer snap: Chelsea have signed Portuguese winger Ricardo Quaresma on loan from Italian giants Inter Milan until the end of the season.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 01:12:04 PM »
Spurs just summed up why they are they way they are. I cannot believe the fans have not demanded the resignation of the Board.

On another note I was speaking with friend who just returned from the Chec Rep and he said that the big discussions on TV is Rosiky career is over due to injury. That is a pity if it is true, because I liked him as a player. I remember when something similar happened to Van Basten (at 28yrs), I felt football missed out on something special.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »
1856: Transfer snap: Chelsea have signed Portuguese winger Ricardo Quaresma on loan from Italian giants Inter Milan until the end of the season.
This is a player I would have loved to see at Man.U playing on the left side with CR7 on the right

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 02:04:58 PM »
Arshavin joins Arsenal till 2012: club sources
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h7yyVwzTNInUMhTB1o3IYhbCl0Ew

48 minutes ago

LONDON (AFP) — Russia international midfielder Andrei Arshavin of Zenit St Petersburg has joined Arsenal till June 2012 for 12 million pounds (13.3 million euros), sources at the Premiership club said on Monday.

The Gunners are now merely waiting on the Premier League to sign all the necessary paperwork for the deal to be made official.

The fee was far from the initial asking price the reigning UEFA Cup winners wanted of 20 million pounds, but included a substantial performance-linked bonus.

Conflicting signals had been emerging from Arsenal's Emirates stadium and Russia throughout the day as the 1700GMT deadline came and went and a Zenit club spokesman had even said the deal had fallen through.

The deal apparently hit a last minute snag when Zenit demanded a portion of Arshavin's signing on fee.

But other Russia news agencies were reporting that a deal had been struck on a three-and-a half year contract.

Gazeta.ru site announced that Arshavin, one of the stars at Euro 2008, had passed his medical and was now an Arsenal player, inheriting the Gunners' number 13 shirt.

He will probably not make his debut for the Gunners for a few weeks because he will have to work on physical conditioning to adapt to the rigours of the English game.

The 27-year-old was a major revelation at the Euro 2008 tournament when Russia reached the semi-finals, losing to eventual champions Spain.

Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger has on many occasions spoken of his admiration for the player.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 02:11:26 PM »
This is a player I would have loved to see at Man.U playing on the left side with CR7 on the right

Look at Quaresma at Barcelona and Quaresma at Inter and then reassess whether you really want to see him at United.

Admittedly those are two sides that didn't play him as a true winger but he still didn't do the biz at the big clubs.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
Spurs just summed up why they are they way they are. I cannot believe the fans have not demanded the resignation of the Board.

I have to agree.. this is total BS! Keane was NEVER a team player at Spurs and I was happy when he rotted at Liv. Lets see if he show some humility now and not kerry orn like the bitch he is when he's subbed.

Save the environment..recycle!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
well spurs now have 4 bonafide strikers and frazier campbell. that excuse done.

arshavin to arsenal deal done. now all he have to do is learn french.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 02:57:20 PM »
well spurs now have 4 bonafide strikers and frazier campbell. that excuse done.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »

French eh enough to save him. Homeboy is done 27 .... that is prime retirement age at Arsenal.
Unless he on that Benjamin Button sh!t, he go have to retire by the end of the season.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »

French eh enough to save him. Homeboy is done 27 .... that is prime retirement age at Arsenal.
Unless he on that Benjamin Button sh!t, he go have to retire by the end of the season.

well he could be using Arsenal as a stepping stone to a bigger club like villa  ;D
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »
so let me get this straight..

spurs board sell chimbonda, defoe and keane in the summer and then turn around and buy them right back in january??? 

this hadda be unprecedented bullshit.

also i see sunderland buy calum davenport.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 05:32:39 PM »
so let me get this straight..

spurs board sell chimbonda, defoe and keane in the summer and then turn around and buy them right back in january??? 

this hadda be unprecedented bullshit.

also i see sunderland buy calum davenport.

haha they sent Keane out for 6 months and got back 5+ million pounds ... not bad

Defoe is out for up to 10 weeks....massive blow for them... would have been nice to see both of them lead the attack when they destroy the gunners on Sunday

Pava will have to step it up until Jermaine returns...I like Pava though... good player and now finding his feet... will be deadly alongside Keane

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »

Look at Quaresma at Barcelona and Quaresma at Inter and then reassess whether you really want to see him at United.

Admittedly those are two sides that didn't play him as a true winger but he still didn't do the biz at the big clubs.
I see what yuh saying, but in my opinion I think he would have done well working with a coach like Fergie and the type of players Man.U got.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Benitez re: Keane Departure
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 08:42:24 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7867439.stm

5 goals in 19 games with limited opportunities means the man could not settle?  Steups.  Anyway Keane heself wanted to leave instead of stay and meet the challenge.  I feel dat Keane realize dat Benitez is a bamsee.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:31:19 PM by Savannah boy »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 02:18:49 PM »

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
how come Sunderland spend no money?

Don't you have to pay a fee when a player is loaned to you?
Tal Ben Haim come over on a free loan?
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »

With a loan, no transfer fee is paid.....Sunderland is only responsible for paying Ben Haim's wages while he's at the club.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 09:40:03 AM »

With a loan, no transfer fee is paid.....Sunderland is only responsible for paying Ben Haim's wages while he's at the club.

That is true for most loans.

With other loans, the minority, clubs actually pay for the right to loan the player. Zaki is an example, and of course Tevez.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Trini boi

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »
so hyland already signed up with Portsmouth!??!! wow, didn't even kno that....and now he on loan with da belgian side...at least he getting some playing time...can't wait to see him in the EPL tho...soon enuff mih boi  ;)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 02:34:01 PM »

I think you will find unless it is a youngster that a lot of the loans in the Premiership are paid loans and not free.  I doubt Simspon from Arsenal has a loan fee attached but Zyaratte (sp) would have before it became permanent.  Some have the arrangement where the loan fee is taken off the final fee if the player is bought after the loan period by the club. 

Sunderland didn't spend anything simply because I think there is something up with the ownership of the club possibly changing and also the point with the strange managers appointment.  Its just a guess but I suppose we will have to wait until the summer to find out.
That is true for most loans.

With other loans, the minority, clubs actually pay for the right to loan the player. Zaki is an example, and of course Tevez.

1]; } ?>