April 29, 2024, 06:44:53 AM

Author Topic: Jones to Villa??  (Read 5240 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones to Villa??
« on: January 04, 2009, 05:21:42 AM »
Lets just hope it's villa capree they talking bout, and not the other Villa BC if it is then i think he'll defo rot on the bench.

if yuh know what's good for yuh KJ you'll stay @ the SOL, it spells more playing time, plus it's better to be ah big fish in ah small pond. http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=378487
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Jones to Villa??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:51:13 AM »
Bench for who? I think thaqt is a great move. Carew and Oneill have problems but Oniell want the target man with the speedy fellas around him, like how Chelsea used to play when they had Robben. Carew was never a big scoreer either and Oneill belive in investing in youth. He have a very good chance to make Villa a contender with that move.

I believe Kenwyne could start at Spurs or Villa among the big sides. Jones and Defoe over Bent and Palychenko, anyday. Especialluy cause Harry was the first man to spot his potential.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »
i was going to start a thread asking which team in world football is the best fit for Kenwyne (no disrespect to that staunch sunderland fans on the forum).

By best fit, I mean a team which suits his game and which he can get a regular run,  where his game can develop and where he has a chance to actually win silverware.

In my opinion, Aston Villa would be an excellent move!

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:04:57 AM »
Bench for who? I think thaqt is a great move.

In my opinion, Aston Villa would be an excellent move!
Agreed and Agreed

Martin Oneill needs another goalscorer to give the side depth to be able to compete in all the competitions; Carling Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup, and the League. People keep talking about Villa as breaking into the established top 4. I believe they can maintain their position but require a larger squad; a benefit which the traditional big 4 have.

Villa have been relatively lucky in terms of injuries this season, but that could change at any point; especially in terms of how many games the same guys are being asked to play.

Agbonlahor is clinical finisher, with foot and head; brilliant turn, brilliant speed, but he is the only recognised striker that Villa have starting regularly.

Ashley Young is a wide man,, who contributes goals, but is not a recognised striker and

Harewood and Carew out of favour and the other striker they have Nathan Delfouneso is talented, but very inexperienced at 18.

Kenwyne would be perfect for the all black attack at Villa and I would be the first man sporting a Jones Villa Kit WHEN he gets signed  ;D
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:55:55 AM »
Bench for who? I think thaqt is a great move. Carew and Oneill have problems but Oniell want the target man with the speedy fellas around him, like how Chelsea used to play when they had Robben. Carew was never a big scoreer either and Oneill belive in investing in youth. He have a very good chance to make Villa a contender with that move.

I believe Kenwyne could start at Spurs or Villa among the big sides. Jones and Defoe over Bent and Palychenko, anyday. Especialluy cause Harry was the first man to spot his potential.

I would be more than happy to swap Bent for Kenwyn

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
Forget about whether Villa want KJ or not.......truth is they are a club that has to be worried about their attack. Big clubs watching Agbonlahor and Ashley Young hard. Villa will do well to hold on to those two next season...Qualifying for the CL would go a long way. Seems like Carew doing his usual ting and self imploding at yet another club after a promising start. So Villa will be on the lookout for strikers. Even if they do hold on to Agbonlahor and Young, and qualify for the CL they'll need more in attack to handle top European competition in addition to the domestic stuff. So I not buying yet another KJ rumor until he sign on the dotted line, but Villa probably on a serious lookout for attacking replacements/additions

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Aston Villa want to tempt Kenwyne Jones away from Sunderland
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:29:19 AM »
Aston Villa want to tempt Kenwyne Jones away from Sunderland
By Alan Nixon (mirror.co.uk)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill will try to tempt Sunderland to sell star sriker Kenwyne Jones - but must go to around £12 million to get his hit man.

O'Neill has now put the big Trinidad and Tobago forward on the top of his wish list after missing out on Jermain Defoe, Craig Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz and Emile Heskey.

The Villa chief sent top scout Ian Storey-Moore to watch Jones put on a powerful show against Middlesbrough on Saturday and that confirms his status as their current first-choice target.

Sunderland do not want to sell Jones and have already let Chelsea know he is unavailable - but Villa have the money and the need to land Jones for their bid to make the top four in the Premier League.

Jones is settled at Sunderland but O'Neill could try to change that with an offer that would test the resolve of Sunderland and their heirarchy who have curbed the free spending of the Roy Keane days.

O'Neill knows he may not get much out of John Carew this season and badly needs a physical presence in his attack.

Villa fear Heskey is bound for Liverpool and know that Santa Cruz is too expensive, leaving Jones as the only domestic target available. O'Neill may have to go abroad if he fails - and he prefers to buy people with Premier experience.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 06:47:54 AM »
Hmmm, this would be a very interesting move.............

Quality crosses from Young and Milner.............hmmm

12 million pounds...........Hmmm

I think Sunderland will go down if they sell kenwyne and dont get a proper replacement!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
The real question...

Could Villa signing Kenwyne Jones make them serious contenders for the EPL title?

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
The real question...

Could Villa signing Kenwyne Jones make them serious contenders for the EPL title?

maybe not this year but i think there goal ths year is to qualify for next years CL. with jones adding to wat they already have, they stand a great chance of that happening.  :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 09:08:50 AM »
wait nah is Chelsea I see in that article...
Although it would not be a good move for him I would not mind seeing him in Chelsea's colours....
Send Kalou to Sunderland and let them send Kenwyne with some cash....
That being said I know that would not be in the best interest of KJ..

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 09:17:41 AM »
The real question...

Not really, but if they add another quality winger (another option besides young and milner), and maybe a defender, then i think that might stand a chance.  I would also think that they would need to sign a quality replacement for agbonlahor.

Their central midfield is already strong (petrov, sidwell, barry, reo-coker).

ah love it!!

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »
Although it would not be a good move for him I would not mind seeing him in Chelsea's colours....

wrong way round - do you even watch football ::)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
wrong way round - do you even watch football

LOL... u know what I mean't... I think he should stay at Sunderland, almost guaranteed playing time.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
The real question...

Not really, but if they add another quality winger (another option besides young and milner), and maybe a defender, then i think that might stand a chance.  I would also think that they would need to sign a quality replacement for agbonlahor.

ah love it!!

May be wrong here..but hasn't Reo-Coker been playing right back this season. Haven't seen him the the midfield at all.although I know that is his preferred position. Is he just covering for an injured player, or is has he been 'converted' by Martin O'Neil?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
The real question...

ah love it!!

May be wrong here..but hasn't Reo-Coker been playing right back this season. Haven't seen him the the midfield at all.although I know that is his preferred position. Is he just covering for an injured player, or is has he been 'converted' by Martin O'Neil?

Yeah, they running reo coker at right back because the normal right back (Luke Young) covering at left back.

They bought Shorey to play LB but like that eh working out, so until they find a better one or Bouma returns, Reo Coker covering.. don't think he's been converted altogether.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:28 AM »
reo-coker is playing at right back, holding on for injuries to bouma and to cover for the lack of form from nicky shorey.  Luke Young is on the left.

But he is a central midfielder by trade.  Martin Oneil has seen qualities in him that makes him a good right back.  Plus it is one of the ways that he could be guaranteed playing time.  

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »
Omar, Andre..thanks. He captained Engalnd Under 21s as a midfielder and I know him from his West Ham and early Villa days as a hard running, hard tackling central midfielder. So I was curious what the scene was, since I find he was holding it down in the few games I've seen him at RB.

Cheers :beermug:

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 02:02:43 PM »
The real question...

ah love it!!

I disagree. Half the season gone and Villa are 5 points off the top...they ready to compete for the title now.

Villa has something that none of the top four have and that is a truly balanced team. Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea lack true width and although United has good width they don't have that driving central midfielder like Gerrard, Lampard, Fabregas or Barry. Player for player Villa's players are not big names but Villa are making the most of their players' strengths and they play well-defined roles.

They not as deep but as long as they don't get injured for long spells it won't matter.

Villa's big problem and major drawback is that their defence is weaker than the others. Their wingbacks just can't rank with the players at Liverpool, Chelsea and United and they have a habit of giving up very soft goals. So in games when they try to keep it tight the whole team defends and they have a hard time scoring.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 02:22:40 PM »

that would be tragic. When last a player improve at chelsea?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »

Drogba, Joe Cole, Lampard, Terry? i understand that "improvement" is all subjective, but that statement is pure assness!
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »

yuh could say that again, some ppl does talk real $hit....no wonder maturana is the coach, apparently $hit is equivalent to trinidad.
Drogba, Joe Cole, Lampard, Terry? i understand that "improvement" is all subjective, but that statement is pure assness!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »
The real question...

ah love it!!

I disagree. Half the season gone and Villa are 5 points off the top...they ready to compete for the title now.

Villa has something that none of the top four have and that is a truly balanced team. Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea lack true width and although United has good width they don't have that driving central midfielder like Gerrard, Lampard, Fabregas or Barry. Player for player Villa's players are not big names but Villa are making the most of their players' strengths and they play well-defined roles.

They not as deep but as long as they don't get injured for long spells it won't matter.

Villa's big problem and major drawback is that their defence is weaker than the others. Their wingbacks just can't rank with the players at Liverpool, Chelsea and United and they have a habit of giving up very soft goals. So in games when they try to keep it tight the whole team defends and they have a hard time scoring.

But Juma, as you quite rightly said, only half the season done.  the premier league is a tough league that requires replacement players.  After A. Young and Milner, there is no one to play wide on the right or left.  You only mentioned injuries, but wear and tear and loss of form will also factor during a long season.

Statistics also show that Aston Villa has made the fewest sbustitutions and used the fewest number of players (18) of all the teams in the league.  That just goes to show how strong Oneil thinks his bench is. 

I think that they are okay in the middle of the park and in the CB positions, but if Agbonlahor gets injured, what is their position up front?

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »
But Juma, as you quite rightly said, only half the season done.  the premier league is a tough league that requires replacement players.  After A. Young and Milner, there is no one to play wide on the right or left.  You only mentioned injuries, but wear and tear and loss of form will also factor during a long season.

Statistics also show that Aston Villa has made the fewest sbustitutions and used the fewest number of players (18) of all the teams in the league.  That just goes to show how strong Oneil thinks his bench is. 

I think that they are okay in the middle of the park and in the CB positions, but if Agbonlahor gets injured, what is their position up front?

Them is what ifs? Until players actually get injured and/or lose form you cannot write them off.

On the other hand the flaws in their competitors are plain to see. You talk about Young and Milner but Liverpool and Chelsea don't even have wide players as good as those two to begin with.

It is no secret that Villa squad is small but small squads have come through before. Not saying that they will win it but if the question is "can they challenge?" then for me the answer is "yes".
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »

The stats of the top 4 teams support your observations about the defense. Villa have given up 23 goals so far, while ManU, Chelsea and Liverpool have only given up 10,12 and 13 goals respectively.

But in attack, of the top 4 teams, only Manu has scored more goals at home (23 vs. 18) At home Liverpool and Chelsea have scored 16 and 17, respectively. On the road, Villa has scored 17 goals..only 2 less than Liverpool and 4 less than Chelsea, but 8 more than ManU.

Anyway..stats do not tell the whole story. For instance...it does not say how many chances were made, or how many chances missed. But interesting sidenote nonetheless..(at least to me :))

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »
Dis yute when he is healthy, fit and in form, he get attention from some of de real big name clubs out there. When I read articles like dis, it puts a huge smile on my face and completely make me forget about de small vibes on dis forum.  All de best on dat big money move meh boi, ah does always support ah big pay day. Wid nuff respect and love for Sunderland, cuz 3 of our bois making a living at the club. However, we all know dat football/soccer is a business, so u have to take dat pay day when it come, even if it mean training an extra 2-4 hours a day, on your own, to make sure u stay in de rotation and get playing time at dat particular club. HIGHLY BLESSED.

On a different note, true my fellowship, my love for Allah, family and myself, I promised not to back to wicked and bad ways. But guess what, some ah all yuh making meh really think about being wicked again. Hear meh nah, ah not preaching no bad man thing, but dis is not a game people, ah just telling some of you all, is just a few of you, be careful how all deal wid dis massive. Ah have nuff love and respect for my fellow human being, ah does always mention dat tuh all yuh, but doh get meh KROSS, cuz it cud get very ugly round here. As Morvant once said in one ah meh post, he said "line dem up", well ah like dat Morvant, large up yuh self where ever you might stand yute.Well ah will just line all yuh up one by one. Member meh told yuh. KROSS, KROSS, KROSS.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:09:33 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »
Don't think he is exactly skint, just bought himself a new Bentley Continental.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
I would like to see Jones at the best team in the world... Manchester United....

Would love to see TnT players at Villa again...

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 10:01:29 AM »
And as if by magic what appears in the paper today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/4224465/Harry-Redknapp-fights-deep-flaws-in-Tottenhams-make-up.html

Jones in sight

Tottenham are pursuing Kenywne Jones, the Sunderland striker, as Harry Redknapp attempts to recruit an imposing target man. The manager believes that Jones could act as a useful sidekick for £16 million-man Jermain Defoe, but Sunderland are understood to be unwilling to sell to a club they regard as relegation rivals.

Redknapp is also focusing on Middlesbrough’s Stewart Downing in an effort to inject more pace and creativity in midfield – while the winger has had a transfer request turned down, Tottenham should secure their second major signing of the window for around £12 million

big surprise

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
Setanta said Spurs makes bid sfor jones to the tune of 14million pounds. The Daily Star in England is said to be reporting same.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>