April 25, 2024, 04:50:20 AM

Author Topic: Viking's Herrara, T&T native gets US citizenship  (Read 2366 times)

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Viking's Herrara, T&T native gets US citizenship
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »
American citizenship not something Vikings' Herrera takes for granted
Peter King's Mailbag (SI.com)

Anthony Herrera (left) started 12 games at right guard for the Vikings last season.
Harry How/Getty Images

We interrupt draft fever for a few paragraphs on a story reported well by Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star Tribune on Sunday -- Vikings guard Anthony Herrera, a native of Trinidad and Tobago, becoming an American citizen in March and being incredibly grateful for it. A good story, especially because the only witness of Herrera becoming naturalized in St. Paul on March 26, was his head coach, Brad Childress, who attended when he found out Herrera's family, in Mississippi, was unable to attend.

I'll have time to answer your questions, but at this time in our country's history, I think the Herrera story is too good, and too important, to ignore. You can hear it in his voice: He's not taking anything in his life for granted -- not starting at right guard for the Vikings' dominant running game, not trying to improve life for his extended family, and not voting for the president in November.

"Who will you vote for for president?'' I asked Herrera on Sunday night.

"That's a tough one,'' he said. "It's been Republican the last two terms, and look at the economy. We're almost in a recession. Then again, as an athlete, we're probably going to get the best tax breaks with a Republican in office. Tough call.''

And one he wasn't going to spill. But whether he goes Republican or Democrat, he made it clear he was just happy to have the choice. "Growing up in the islands,'' Herrera said, "I got used to drinking sugar water for breakfast. Now I'm a citizen in the greatest country in the world. You talk about a rags-to-riches story. I'm just trying to get a better life for me and my family. That's what America's all about.''

Herrera was brought to America by his grandmother and uncle at 13 to live in Florida, and his mother worked tirelessly to help the family achieve a better life. He first played football in high school, and he played well enough to earn a scholarship to Tennessee, which paved the way for him to get a shot in the NFL as a marginal offensive lineman with the Vikings. And when Childress took over the coaching job, he liked the quick feet and power of Herrera, who took over the starting right guard job five games into last season. Childress found out the day Herrera was going for his citizenship that no one was going with him. "It's draft time now,'' said Herrera, "and I'm pretty sure coach has a lot on his plate. But he insisted. That was really nice of him.''

A good story all around.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Viking's Herrara, T&T native gets US citizenship
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »
Odder dan de sugar water chupidness..ah glad fuh de man
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
Any Trinis in d NHL?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »
5 pickney he has been busy.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »
he could afford.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:38:46 AM »

is that in the story?

1]; } ?>