April 18, 2024, 08:15:35 PM

Author Topic: FUNERAL DRAMA-Mad rush as mourners demand to see Jizelle's body in cemetery  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
THEY were not letting their heroine leave just like that. No way.

So villagers of Siparia, who did not attend the funeral service for fallen boxing hero Jizelle Salandy at the St Benedict's Roman Catholic Church, La Romaine, yesterday, converged on the hearse as it arrived at the Siparia Public Cemetery and demanded that the coffin be opened.

Not even the police were able to control the hundreds who waited in the blazing sun, some taking up vantage positions, to say farewell to their daughter of the soil.

Several attempts were made to have the pathway cleared for the hearse to pass but the shouts for the coffin to be opened grew even louder. Unable to go further, the decision was made to give the mourners an opportunity to view Salandy's body.

Caution tape, placed earlier by the police, was torn down and a mad dash was made towards the coffin. Police moved in, in an attempt to bring some order to the madness.

At the graveside, where her mother was also laid to rest, Salandy's family and friends held on to each other and wailed openly while final rites, by members of a Baptist church, were being performed.

Hundreds also turned up at the church in La Romaine to pay their respects to Salandy who succumbed to injuries suffered when the car she was driving crashed on the Beetham Highway, Port of Spain on Sunday.

Former national U-20 footballer Tamar Watson, who was with Salandy in the car, remained a patient at the Port of Spain General Hospital, where she is being treated for several broken bones.

The parade of dignitaries at the funeral service included President George Maxwell Richards and his wife Dr Jean Ramjohn-Richards, Sports Minister Gary Hunt, Culture Minister Marlene McDonald, San Fernando West Member of Parliament Junia Regrello, San Fernando Mayor Kenneth Ferguson, Legal Affairs Minister Peter Taylor; Opposition MPs Jack Warner and Winston Peters; Ambassador Joan Yuille-Williams and double Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson.

Thompson and fellow Olympic sprinter Monique Cabral were also involved in an early morning accident on New Year's Day, moments after leaving the 51 Degrees nightclub and lounge on Cipriani Boulevard, Port of Spain.

Also present were Salandy's promoter, Boxu Potts, her manager Harry Ragoonanan and his wife, Senior Magistrate Lucina Cardenas-Ragoonanan, and calypsonian SuperBlue.

Salandy, a Chaconia Gold Medal recipient, who would have turned 22 on January 25, was decked out in a boxing robe and a pair of red, white and black boxing gloves.

In his eulogy, Fr David Khan said Salandy's death should not be looked at as a disaster but as the work of God.

"Jizelle left this world as the greatest world champion, so let not your heart be troubled," Khan said.

His words seemed to bring little comfort to the bereaved.

"Imagine she left this world as the greatest world champion. That is how she will go down in history and God took her at that point. God took her after her last success.

"We have heard from so many (who have said) that they love Jizelle. I say to all of you who said you love Jizelle, you are to become, not as good as her, but better.

"The people of this nation, if we really loved this young woman, we should even excel beyond her so we can say 'I am the person I am today because of Jizelle 'Magic' Salandy'."

Saying his words might be viewed as a sore point, Khan said every driver knew how dangerous it was to speed on the road but some just would not learn.

"It is a point which should hit home in our hearts. We know the things that are dangerous for us."

Potts, who delivered the eulogy, said Salandy would go down in history as the most decorated boxer of all time and praised her humble nature.

Hunt also addressed the congregation saying God chose the sport of boxing as an avenue for Salandy to serve her country.

"Jizelle won the hearts and minds of many citizens by the way she conducted herself in and out of the ring," Hunt said.

Musical tribute was paid to Salandy by members of the Southernaires Choir, Digicel Rising Star winner Kay Alleyne, Natasha Babwah and calypsonian The Original Defosto Himself.

-with reporting by Stephen Doobay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqE2XR-1oMM

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ridiculous.

This is why I say the funeral should have been private instead that his pappyshow affair.  They could always hold a memorial two weeks or a month later for the public to pay their respects and reflect on her life.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
dem people wanted to see "THEIR" Champ one more time oui
"Salandy, a Chaconia Gold Medal recipient, who would have turned 22 on January 25, was decked out in a boxing robe and a pair of red, white and black boxing gloves. "
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
That stampede must have been upsetting for the family.

I remember when my Uncle was getting buried. Ppl from nearby was elbowing the family to macco de coffin as it was lowered in the ground.

No respect for ppl in their time of mourning.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Funerals in TNT is a social event it was only a circus if it was in town it would have been a 3 ring circus.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
that is trini fuh yuh.we unique.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
well them should of gone to the viewing on coffee st earlier this week if the wanted to see her.  Organize and centralize your self TnT people

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
well them should of gone to the viewing on coffee st earlier this week if the wanted to see her.  Organize and centralize your self TnT people

Viewin eh part ah we culture pushin by d graveside is oui ting.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I remember when my Uncle was getting buried. Ppl from nearby was elbowing the family to macco de coffin as it was lowered in the ground.

who was yuh uncle?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile

who was yuh uncle?
he is not mano benjamin family. ;D
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>