April 19, 2024, 03:38:54 AM

Author Topic: Sad News (Giselle Salandy)  (Read 38668 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Giselle Salandy (Accident)
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »
Come on people...

No excuses. People, we have to take responsilbity for our actions.
Like every other accident, the viewers always speculate - nobody knows what happened seconds before the accident inside that car. As a driver and passenger, well all have a part to play.

Simple!

Last year around this same time or closer to Carnival season, this soca artiste Onika was involved in an accident on the Eastern Main Road, which was also fatal. Anybody remember that ???

Come next week, new headline...never fails :-\

It hurting my heart knowing this girl had a very promising future in her sporting field, but when your number call right ???

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2009, 05:05:42 PM »
My friend in Trinidad told me that she fell asleep at the wheel.
wow. how he know that? Did the other girl survive say so?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »
truly sad! First Richard Thompson (luckily he survived) now Jizzelle our boxing hero.  Who next? 

RIP Jizelle

its the Modern cars on 1950's roads. Plus they need more laws and law enforcements

But oh lord spell the girl first name right people. lend her a lil respect

1950s roads? really?

VB

More like 1960s roads, but he basically correck.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »
Cana yuh right about one thing...everyone speeding...but one small correction. The speed limit is not even 100kph...it is 80..That is too damn slow for any highway anywhere in de world...Personally i eh go lie i used to drive as fast as possible and probably pretty much like a jackass...Never was one to use de shoulder or any of that madness but was cuttin in and out.
Now my van is a lil older vehicle have no turbo or nuttin. So I give up on de speed thing and calm down alot. A couple of small accidents and one road rage incident that ended up in a fight outside elerslie plaza ended all dat nonsense with me.
I still cant understand why we cant get a couple radar guns for police to use. The tings easy to get. And go ketch pple speeding real easy.
Back in Trini...

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »
R.I.P Champ.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Re: Sad News (Giselle Salandy)
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2009, 05:26:46 PM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hUDL0agLA1StBk58IedC98EGzXRg

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad — Trinidadian boxing champion Giselle Salandy died Sunday from injuries sustained in a car crash on the outskirts of the Caribbean country's capital. She was 21.

Salandy died at Port-of-Spain General Hospital on Sunday morning shortly after the dawn crash, according to Information Minister Neil Parsanlal. He said Salandy's car ran off a highway and smashed into a concrete column after she had brought a friend to Piarco International Airport.

Salandy, known for her quick feet and fast jabs, was the title holder for several international female boxing groups, including the Women's International Boxing Association and the World Boxing Council.

Earlier this year, she defended her WBC belt in her last fight against the Dominican Republic's Yahaira Hernandez. That victory took her unblemished professional record in the ring to 17-0.

"The sport fraternity has suffered a tremendous loss and Trinidad and Tobago has lost an icon," Sports Minister Gary Hunt said. "Giselle was a role model for young people, especially females."

Travelling in the car with Salandy was national soccer player Tamer Watson. She was listed in critical condition Sunday at the Port-of-Spain hospital, according to Hunt.

Salandy, who began boxing at age 11, earned the women's welterweight title in 2002 when she was just 16. She outpointed 23-year-old Colombian Paula Rojas during the Curacao bout to take the WIBA welterweight belt.

At the time, she had stirred controversy in her native Trinidad because at 16 she was still two years younger than the minimum age for professional fights in her homeland.

At a news conference on Sunday, the chairman of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board was visibly shocked by the star boxer's death at such a young age.

"I cannot express in words the enormity of the loss for this country," Brian Lewis told reporters, his voice choked with emotion.

There were no announcements about funeral arrangements.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »
truly sad! First Richard Thompson (luckily he survived) now Jizzelle our boxing hero.  Who next? 

RIP Jizelle

its the Modern cars on 1950's roads. Plus they need more laws and law enforcements

1950s roads? really?

VB

You can improve road safety but it only goes so far. Rumble strips on the shoulders to wake your ass up, raised reflective buttons and reflective paint along the lines, angled guard rails at the median that 'guide' cars back onto the road, sand/water filled containers to soften impact at flyover pillars and other obstacles. I don't think there is any of that in T&T, but many US states missing those things also.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
R I P .....J

Everyday is just a little more madness and then comes sadness
There still is a lot of details to this story that is not yet available
Personal responsibility people....it begins with you

The beat goes on

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
Eman d states dat missin dem ting what is d accident rate?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sad News (Giselle Salandy)
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »
Funeral is wed at d catholic church Harris Promenade I eh hear d time. All yuh try not 2 turn it into a circus.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »
it have certain "hotspots" in trini where these accidents ALWAYS happen......checkpoints and speed enforcement needs to be placed at these strategic locations.........personal responsibility is also needed where yuh know yuh tired or was drinking then hire a driver.......its like clockwork.......weekends, holidays and carnival season.........chances are somebody going to die.......prevention is better dan cure.....on a sidenote i was home for the holidays and up until news years morning i saw ZERO police presence to help prevent certain conditions......but yes it goes back to person responsibility

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2009, 06:43:15 PM »
It is with deep sadness that I read of this. Is it up to us to ask why? or how could such a tragedy occur? At a time like this I simply feel and share in the loss of  a national hero.

With apologies to John Dryden , the poet.

For whom the bell tolls a poem
(No man is an island) by John Donne

No individual is an island,
Entire of themself.
Each is a piece of this rock,
A part of the main TNT.
If one passes away,
Trinidad and Tobago is the less.
As well as if a promontory was.
As well as if a manner of  my own
Or of my friend's were.
Each individuals's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:24 PM »
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »
It is a miracle dat d other person survive dat crash.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »
ah read somwhere else it was suppose to be a Toyota Yaris.......dat car look more like a Accord.....never seen an accord fold up so b4 if it is 1

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2009, 07:20:26 PM »
T&T's undefeated boxer Jizelle Salandy, dead in vehicular accident
January 4th, 2009
CTNTWorld

Police say she hit a concrete cylinder lying at the side of the road and went approximately 143 feet airborne. The vehicle then dropped and hit the pillar of the flyover.

She had won all of her 17 professional bouts.

How in the world could they know that her body went so high in the air? Who are these witnesses?

Police physicists of course  :P ... extrapolating on the trajectory of prior accidents

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »

Did she confess as much before she died?  Police in Trinidad can't figure out they own shadows but we suppose to accept this conclusion even before the investigation has been concluded?

Trinidadians good yes.

Last year around this same time or closer to Carnival season, this soca artiste Onika was involved in an accident on the Eastern Main Road, which was also fatal. Anybody remember that ???

Not Onika Bostic (Burning Flames)?  She died under similar circumstances, but 4 yrs ago.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:37:41 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »

Did she confess as much before she died?  Police in Trinidad can't figure out they own shadows but we suppose to accept this conclusion even before the investigation has been concluded?

Trinidadians good yes.

What the hell is your problem?
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
What the hell is your problem?

I have no idea what on earth you're talking about... maybe you can elaborate on what you find 'problematic'.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »

Trinidadians good yes.

Not Onika Bostic (Burning Flames)?  She died under similar circumstances, but 4 yrs ago.

Yes you are correct. Wow 4 years already.

Allyuh look at the state of that car. Lord have mercy. Where is the front of the car ?
Look lemme just go eh. Too depressing :(

The sad thing about this is, that picture would be on the front of every newspaper in Trinidad and Tobago in the morning, but yet people will still continue to speed, drink, over take on the shoulder, text message, use cell phone while they on the roads - because we have the mentality that it will never happen to us.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:09:29 PM by TriniCana »

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
RIP champ  :( people please be careful on the roads take your time!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »

RIP Jizelle

1950s roads? really?

VB

You can improve road safety but it only goes so far. Rumble strips on the shoulders to wake your ass up, raised reflective buttons and reflective paint along the lines, angled guard rails at the median that 'guide' cars back onto the road, sand/water filled containers to soften impact at flyover pillars and other obstacles. I don't think there is any of that in T&T, but many US states missing those things also.

it have certain "hotspots" in trini where these accidents ALWAYS happen......checkpoints and speed enforcement needs to be placed at these strategic locations.........personal responsibility is also needed where yuh know yuh tired or was drinking then hire a driver.......its like clockwork.......weekends, holidays and carnival season.........chances are somebody going to die.......prevention is better dan cure.....on a sidenote i was home for the holidays and up until news years morning i saw ZERO police presence to help prevent certain conditions......but yes it goes back to person responsibility

Great detailed points. hope there are works in place for these. this is 2009 and road safety prevents are not secret.  Even folks like us know it.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2009, 08:24:36 PM »
condolences to the family, this is a serious loss for her community and for the nation on the whole.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2009, 08:43:39 PM »

Trinidadians good yes.

Yes you are correct. Wow 4 years already.

Allyuh look at the state of that car. Lord have mercy. Where is the front of the car ?
Look lemme just go eh. Too depressing :(

The sad thing about this is, that picture would be on the front of every newspaper in Trinidad and Tobago in the morning, but yet people will still continue to speed, drink, over take on the shoulder, text message, use cell phone while they on the roads - because we have the mentality that it will never happen to us.

U does just pass and see an accident and they does continue drivin like some idiot. D picture will have zero effect.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »
I always wonder how dem cars in Trinidad does look so "mash up" when dey get into an accident.Could somebody explain dat? Almost every serious accident you see the top off or "ben up" like rubber or paper.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:36:42 PM by royal »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »
Boxing champion Salandy killed in crash
Geisha Kowlessar | 8:37 pm
Published: January 4th, 2009

Boxing champion Jizelle Salandy had a promising future. But, as fate would have it, Salandy met a tragic demise when she succumbed to massive head and internal injuries, after an accident early on Sunday morning. Salandy, who held several international boxing titles, would have turned 22 on January 25. National footballer Tamara Watson, who was in the front passenger seat of Salandy’s car, was up to late yesterday listed in critical condition at the Port-of-Spain General Hospital.

Salandy’s death came on the heels of a collision involving Olympic double silver medallist Richard Thompson. The 100-metre runner-up and Monique Cabral, a member of the T&T team in Beijing, were involved in a collision on New Year’s Day. Salandy, a Fyzabad lass, may have fallen asleep at the wheel, police believe. They said Salandy had just dropped off a friend at Piarco and was heading back to her camp in north Trinidad around 6.53 am. According to Assistant Police Commissioner (ACP Traffic) Fitzroy Frederick, the sporting star was driving a black Toyota Yaris, PCH 6169.

Frederick said that upon reaching vicinity of the NP overpass at Sea Lots, Port-of-Spain, Salandy hit a culvert and smashed head-on into a concrete pillar, dubbed the killer pillar. People who fell victims to that pillar in the past included Ram Kirpalani and chief immigration officer Joseph Bodkyn. Members of the Emergency Health Services (EHS) arrived promptly and pulled out a bloodied Salandy who was still conscious. She was taken to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital, but died around 8.29 am, while undergoing emergency surgery.

Watson suffered two broken legs and internal injuries, hospital sources said. Frederick said there was no indication that alcohol might have been a factor in the accident. “There was nothing to suggest she (Salandy) collided with anything before crashing into the pillar,” he said. “There was also nothing to suggest she may have been drinking. “There is the probability she fell asleep or she lost control of the vehicle,” Frederick said. Commenting that Salandy’s death had brought the road fatality figure to two for the year to date, the senior cop issued another appeal to motorist to be vigilant.

“It would seem our national heroes need to re-evaluate their safety and control while on the nation’s roads, so that the society can benefit from their talent and ability,” Frederick said. He also extended condolences on behalf of acting Police Commissioner James Philbert. “Our greatest appeal for the new year is for drivers to reduce their speed, particularly with young people,” he added. Visiting the scene were officers of the Besson Street Police Station, headed by Sgt Sahadeo Singh.

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »
Somehow I had never heard of her before. Apparently she was a national hero, so RIP.

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »
SRY to hear....RIP and to all others pls exercise caution on the roads...we have to drive for us and everyone else on the roads..... PLEASE

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
I always wonder how dem cars in Trinidad does look some "mash up" when dey get into an accident.Could somebody explain dat? Almost every serious accident you see the top off or "ben up" like rubber or paper.

like the clothing, electronics and other merchandise.......I always suspect is sub-standard vehicles they selling people fuh above standard prices down dey.........things does just mash up way too fast and easy

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2009, 09:30:45 PM »
I always wonder how dem cars in Trinidad does look some "mash up" when dey get into an accident.Could somebody explain dat? Almost every serious accident you see the top off or "ben up" like rubber or paper.

Sometimes they're photographed after the vehicle has been torn apart ('jaws of life') to extract the victims/occupants.

1]; } ?>