April 28, 2024, 06:02:14 AM

Author Topic: Sad News (Giselle Salandy)  (Read 38923 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Giselle Salandy (Accident)
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »
we talk about personal responsibility but if you don't enforce road laws you encourage an environment that allows for the madness that goes on our roads. Its human psychology, you walk past an unkept house with broken windows and yuh feel its ok to pelt some stones.

I will admit it, i drove home semi drunk last night right past that area a mere 2 hours before this happened and when i got that news this morning i really pinch myself and ask what i was doing.. It was a stupid thing to do, but after the fete all man jack drinking and no designated driver but we have to reach home.

My point is I'm sure if I knew that there was a really functioning highway patrol or visible police presence I would have thought twice. I feel no inclination to buckle up driving here.. I don't glance the speedometer when i go over 100kph. It not causing me any undue duress if i take ah ting on de bus route or if i drive without my licence.

They need to enforce the road laws, they need to computerize licensing office and implement some kinda points system so that there are tangible consequences for errant drivers. They need to enact legislation to make the process of ticketing and road offences punishment quick. Make man know they could lose dey licence in a one.

They could deploy a fleet of unmarked traffic patrol vehicles with the police lights in the dash for one month and stop and ticket as much drivers as possible to establish a presence. Let people know that they could get pull over at any time instead of this stupidness about setting up a road block which i seeing from 10 miles away, or having a man with a speed gun hiding in the same place every day.

Like everything else in this society there needs to be recourse and consequences. The madness on the roads is just an extension of the madness in the country, and people not going to wake up one day and decide to police themselves. You would hope that a tragedy like this could be a turning point, but people forgetting that tomorrrow.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »
People 4get dat ah ready. Fire fete dis wk. As 4 unmark vehicles peeps always feel it eh go happen 2 me so dey go take d chance. U cyah have d police everywhere as 4 bein responsible dis generation done lost. Leh we try 4 d next 1.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »
Fyzabad mourns a boxing queen
Anika Gumbs-Sandiford | 10:23 pm
Published: January 4th, 2009

Hailed as the “boxing queen”, Fyzabad villagers yesterday struggled to accept the shocking news of the death of their village heroine—Jizelle Salandy. Shock waves rocked the birth place of the boxing champion at Hickling Village, as news spread that the 21-year-old Salandy had succumbed to her injuries at the Port-of-Spain General Hospital (POSGH), following an early morning vehicular accident. She would have turned 22, on January 25.Salandy, police said, was driving a rented Toyota Yaris in the vicinity of Sea Lots, when tragedy struck around 7 am.

The boxing star, who only on Boxing Night at Jean Pierre Complex in Port-of-Spain, emerged victorious after beating Dominican Republic, Yahada Hernandez, reportedly lost control and crashed into a concrete pillar. Local female footballer Tamara Watson was in the company of Salandy when the accident occurred. She has been listed in critical condition at the POSGH.

Only days ago the nation was given a scare when double Olympic silver medalist Richard Thompson was involved in a vehicular accident. Horrified family, friends and neighbours stood outside Salandy’s home in disbelief yesterday not wanting to accept the tragic news. Grieving neighbours described Salandy as the “boxing queen” who will always be remembered as the young girl who made the village proud. “We are aching in pain. This is very sad. Jizelle was our champion, she was our baby,” villager Angela Flery said. Family members, however, did not want to comment on her death and closed their doors on the media. Only a photograph of Salandy posing with various champion belts was placed in the gallery. When stepfather Simon Baptiste, arrived at the house, the distraught man said he believed his daughter may have had an early premonition of her death.

Regretting not attending his daughter’s last boxing match on Boxing night, Baptiste said: “When I heard what happened to my daughter, my mind immediately remembered what she said on Boxing Night. It was like she knew something was going to happen but we did not know. Jizelle said that her sister (Josanne) had a baby boy and he would be another boxer in the family. She gave us the message...but we did not understand it until now.” Holding back the tears, Baptiste continued: “I never missed one of my daughter’s fights. Boxing Night was the first time I missed her fight because circumstances prevented me from attending. This is really hard...Jizelle was my baby...this is not easy at all, but the Father know best.”

Salandy’s adopted grandmother Dolly Jaipaul, who lives next door sat in her gallery and wept uncontrollably yesterday. Jaipaul said she learnt of the “bad news” from her daughter Alicia Joseph, who had legally adopted Salandy several years ago. Wiping tears from her eyes, the elderly Jaipaul said the accident brought back memories from six years ago when her son Kenrick Baboolal was kidnapped in Guyana. “The same feeling come back. My heart paining me. Since my daughter get the call this morning I crying. Jizelle was my granddaughter. I cook, wash and iron her clothes. We adopted her to keep her on the right track and was expecting her to get married to someone respectful....we do not know why this happen.”

Jaipaul said she last saw Salandy hours before her match on Boxing Day when she came to visit family. “Her family had a get together and she was there looking nice as usual. Before she left she came here and told me that she had a fight. I wished her well and she left...I cannot believe my granddaughter gone.” Yesterday, Guardian’s south office was bombarded with telephone calls by persons who wanted to confirm Salandy’s untimely passing. Among them was athlete Rubert Graham who used to train with Salandy. An emotional Graham, who received a scholarship to the Jackson State University in Mississippi said: “I cannot believe what I heard so I wanted to call and confirm. Jizelle was such a pleasant girl...... I cannot believe she is gone.”

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2009, 10:51:46 PM »
we talk about personal responsibility but if you don't enforce road laws you encourage an environment that allows for the madness that goes on our roads. Its human psychology, you walk past an unkept house with broken windows and yuh feel its ok to pelt some stones.

I will admit it, i drove home semi drunk last night right past that area a mere 2 hours before this happened and when i got that news this morning i really pinch myself and ask what i was doing.. It was a stupid thing to do, but after the fete all man jack drinking and no designated driver but we have to reach home.

My point is I'm sure if I knew that there was a really functioning highway patrol or visible police presence I would have thought twice. I feel no inclination to buckle up driving here.. I don't glance the speedometer when i go over 100kph. It not causing me any undue duress if i take ah ting on de bus route or if i drive without my licence.

They need to enforce the road laws, they need to computerize licensing office and implement some kinda points system so that there are tangible consequences for errant drivers. They need to enact legislation to make the process of ticketing and road offences punishment quick. Make man know they could lose dey licence in a one.

They could deploy a fleet of unmarked traffic patrol vehicles with the police lights in the dash for one month and stop and ticket as much drivers as possible to establish a presence. Let people know that they could get pull over at any time instead of this stupidness about setting up a road block which i seeing from 10 miles away, or having a man with a speed gun hiding in the same place every day.

Like everything else in this society there needs to be recourse and consequences. The madness on the roads is just an extension of the madness in the country, and people not going to wake up one day and decide to police themselves. You would hope that a tragedy like this could be a turning point, but people forgetting that tomorrrow.

In other words...dey need to protect you & by extension others from yuhself because you not takin de necessary responsibility.

Doh get meh wrong...I eh lecturin yuh per se...because I know I is one guilty of it in de past too.  De point is....we shouldn't have to depend on others to be responsible fuh WE actions.  De first area of responsibility lies with SELF.  We mightn't want to hear it but is gospel.

It also unfortunate dat sometimes fuss ting people does say when dese tragedies occur is speed and dey goin too fast etc.  Ting is...while dat might very well be de case, is not necessarily so.  Ms Salandy coulda well be within de speed limit and get a tire blow out, or a bad drive, or pick up a skid....anyting so....someting completely outta she control and pay de ultimate consequence.  Leh we doh rush to chastise....especially without possession of de FACTS.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 12:01:26 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »
Omar dis tragedy eh go b no turning point........when Onika did get kill people was sad.......take ah drink fuh she......and back tuh d regular program

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2009, 11:23:20 PM »
Omar dis tragedy eh go b no turning point........when Onika did get kill people was sad.......take ah drink fuh she......and back tuh d regular program
[/quote

They even say dat d song all is yours refered 2 she givin she all 2 God.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2009, 11:29:33 PM »
R.I.P

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2009, 11:52:05 PM »

Your real point is that you don't feel the need to be responsible for your own actions... unless you have someone sitting over your shoulder like a grade-school teacher correcting you every time you color outside the lines.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2009, 12:11:56 AM »
Boxing Day fight Highlights
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2009, 01:04:54 AM »

In other words...dey need to protect you & by extension others from yuhself because you not takin de necessary responsibility.

Doh get meh wrong...I eh lecturin yuh per se...because I know I is one guilty of it in de past too.  De point is....we shouldn't have to depend on others to be responsible fuh WE actions.  De first area of responsibility lies with SELF.  We mightn't want to hear it but is gospel.

It also unfortunate dat sometimes fuss ting people does say when dese tragedies occur is speed and dey goin too fast etc.  Ting is...while dat might very well be de case, is not necessarily so.  Ms Salandy coulda well be within de speed limit and get a tire blow out, or a bad drive, or pick up a skid....anyting so....someting completely outta she control and pay de ultimate consequence.  Leh we doh rush to chastise....especially without possession of de FACTS.

i agree with you 100% and I can guarantee you I'm much more individually responsible than the next man.

But why yuh think the same people who does break lights, drive reckless, drive in the shoulder and flaunt the law in every other manner does be the first to buckle up and fall in line as soon as they get behind the wheel in the USA? Or even closer to home, you ever drive in Barbados? As soon as you sit down in somebody car, first thing they will tell you is to buckle yuh seatbelt and they dont drive anywhere near as reckless as here (except the maxi men).

Why is the culture so different there and why are they so much more aware of their personal responsibilities? It is because they know that the laws are enforced and they are aware of the consequences of their actions. They know that they can get pulled over and justice and be administered efficiently. It is that very presence of the "grade-school teacher" (as our resident dilbert chooses to label it) that keeps it in check.

Take the visible police presence and traffic enforcement away from the American roads and I guarantee it will become just as reckless as here. Awareness of personal responsibilities can be shaped by enforcement of the law. Funny thing this sociology eh?

Listen palos.. How much longer yuh think singing this same tune will change anything here? I thought the accident at the Curepe junction years ago when a taxi with 6 passengers broke the lights and got flattened by a truck would have been the one to make our nation sit up and clean up their act. I remember how a nation waited with baited breath to find out who were the occupants in the vehicles involved in that horrific crash since where it happened could have been someone that anyone could know. I honestly thought that would have been the one to hit home.

It has only gotten worse since. You could sit around and wait for everyone to adhere to their individual responsibility, but i telling you it will never happen. This place to frigging lawless.

This government need to get serious and aggressive about taking back the streets. But honestly though, when a sitting minister can stand up in Parliament during a discussion on the breathalyzer bill and exclaim in response to a 3 beer limit for a positive test,

"3 beers?? 3 beers is when i now start to drink!!!",

then I hold little hope for change.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2009, 01:11:55 AM »
I telling alyah ,I stand up watching my street ,a few months ago ,where I use to play small goal everyday .Now..you have to be ah ah mad man to even step out there ,they go flatten you.
Wonder where kids ride there bikes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:25:07 AM by Compre »

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2009, 05:36:37 AM »
The Nations roads needs some serious Blessings... too much unrested souls roaming the highways.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2009, 05:48:27 AM »
The last article I read about Giselle Salandy was how she beat her opponent in the ring on Boxing Night then took her to Maracas the following day to soak up some Trini culture. I didn't know the girl, nor did I know very much about the girl, but it is SUCH a waste of a life...

Isn't it strange/amazing/terrible how immune we have become to things like kidnapping, murder, accidents and things like that? That photo of the car was absolutely shocking, yet didn't phase me one bit...

Is abolishment of "free drinks" worth exploring?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2009, 05:52:35 AM »
The last article I read about Giselle Salandy was how she beat her opponent in the ring on Boxing Night then took her to Maracas the following day to soak up some Trini culture. I didn't know the girl, nor did I know very much about the girl, but it is SUCH a waste of a life...

Isn't it strange/amazing/terrible how immune we have become to things like kidnapping, murder, accidents and things like that? That photo of the car was absolutely shocking, yet didn't phase me one bit...

Is abolishment of "free drinks" worth exploring?

No because it does have cooler fete.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2009, 06:04:43 AM »
In Trinidad, I drive home drunk all the time...

And yuh admitting de foolishness too??!!....ssstteeeuuupppsss!!!...

Oh lord Omar, not you too.... :banginghead: :banginghead: :frustrated: :frustrated:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:14:03 AM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2009, 06:54:49 AM »
look at this shit.

steups

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2009, 07:10:44 AM »
look at this shit.

steups

I now watch the Guardian and say that too.

I know sensationalism sells, but that headline bordering on cruel.

Més que un club.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2009, 07:13:23 AM »
They were dicussing that on Red 96.7 this morning.....that is disgusting....steups...that's all they could come up with??... >:(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2009, 07:19:31 AM »
Is not like peeps eh know d story and dey tryin 2 get dey papers sell.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »
More sad news coming out of TT when will God smile on our people.I was in your corner in your last fight and I am sure you will always be a champion up there. :'(

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2009, 08:33:24 AM »
More sad news coming out of TT when will God smile on our people.I was in your corner in your last fight and I am sure you will always be a champion up there. :'(

He smiles on us more than we seem to give him credit for. It is we the people who need to appreciate ourselves and each other more.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2009, 09:03:18 AM »

I understand what yuh saying but I actually find this counter-intuitive.

I would think that knowing how bad the other drivers are out there (because everybody thinks that they are a "good driver", "can handle they liqour" etc.) would be added impetus to buckle up and have your wits about you when you on the road because you have to drive for the other person. The situation in TnT is not new and bad driving is the status quo so it kinda hard to place the burden of protecting yourself on the Police now.

It takes two hands to clap, but people cannot wait for the police to get their shit together when there are very basic, simple disciplines that can save your own life.

Everybody takes or has taken chances as drivers. Even driving at or 5mph above the speed limit your chances of surviving an accident are greatly reduced compared to driving 20 mph below. It hard to find the common ground between Safety, speed and convenience. In a case like yours waking somebody out of bed to come meet you is an option, sleeping off the alco is another. Both are inconvenient and slow compared to driving tipsy, but by far the most safe.

We take chances because 99,999 times out of 100,000 the gamble will pay off and everybody lives to play the game again, but the one time it doesn't pay off, it could be game over for good.

My personal poison is driving while sleepy. I lost count of how many times I drift across a lane line at home and abroad yet by the grace of God I never hit a piece of pavement, median etc. I does move with a bottle of water in the to splash my face and stop frequently for soda and food because the sugar perks me up but I still find my self too often just deciding to fight through because it is the fastest and most convenient course. I also take the slow lane so I have a better chance of hitting a rumble strip.

That being said knowing that I driving at home and reacquainting myself with driving on the left side of some crazy roads I can't be as cavalier
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »

He smiles on us more than we seem to give him credit for. It is we the people who need to appreciate ourselves and each other more.

Agree with that. I think that there is a thread in the General section that laments how bad we have it too.

But as bad as things are, and as good as it is for us to wish for better, we have plenty blessings. Things could be much worse.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2009, 10:05:24 AM »
The company I work for currently, does red light and speed enforcement and collision avoidance across the US and Canada.. I always tell them this should be done in T&T... The amount of accidents that occur daily is phenomenal and speed is usally the factor, cell phone usage is pretty high in some cities, but not all cities require we track this..
The mobile speed van we use in some cities would work well in T&T and require only one person to operate.
Basically the van is parked at the side of the road and they just capture cars that are over the speed limit. A citation is sent in the mail, with the pic of your car and the speed it was going... Cities make a lot of money doing this, but the trend is within a 3 year period there is a huge decline in speedsters.
In California if you are caught breaking a red light in some cities the fine is 400.00...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:47:51 PM by samo »

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »
The company I work for currently, does red light and speed enforcement and collision avoidance across the US and Canada.. I always tell them this should be done in T&T... The amount of accidents that occur daily is phenomenal and speed is usally the factor, cell phone usage is pretty high in some cities, but not all cities require we track this..
The mobile speed van we use in some cities would work well in T&T and require only one person to operate.
Basically the van is parked at the side of the road and they just capture cars that are over the speed limit. A citation is sent in the mail, with the pic of your car and the speed it was going... Cities make a lot of money doing this, but the trend is within a 3 year period there is a huge decline in speedsters.
In California if you are caught breaking a red light in some cities the fine is 400.00...

i agree with your statements. to add to this, how many companies in trinidad and tobago that have drivers on the road conducts random drug and alcohol testing on their employees? i work for a company that does this i we have clients that operate commercial airlines and semi truck drivers and u wud be surprised the kinda shit these people does test positive for....far less for people back home who can jump out of their car on the Eastern Main Road, run in a bar, buy a stag, jump back in their car and drive off!!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2009, 03:19:46 PM »
look at this shit.

steups

everybody all over the place (including internet blogs and ppl on facebook) talking bout this chuppidness..
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »
Ah now see it and ah shame for de Guardian.

The Editor should be embarrassed.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »
my cousin called me yesterday to tell me about that. That was a shocker. Just like Onika. But when is your time, is your time. God Bless. Condolences to her family. About the Guardian headline.     !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2009, 05:10:12 PM »
is like some jumbie interferin wid d sport's fraternity.  is marvin phillip, is thompson an cabral, dat footballer dat passed last month, now salandy????

WTF goin in dis place?
dis country really need some deliverance oui.

bless!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »

I have to disagree with you...
How many times have we all survived ah 'almost' accident and almost dead?
How many times have we been part of an accident and survived with a broken limb???
How many times did we drive home drunk or was a passenger in ah car driven by a drunk/semi drunk person. We all reach home, but next day on the news somebody didn't make it home. He smiling on we all.

But next week we'll be spiting in his face all over again and he will still be smiling on we...

Evening eh!!

1]; } ?>