March 28, 2024, 05:20:29 PM

Author Topic: Human Trafficking.  (Read 40579 times)

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
Re: Developing Story - Container of children found
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2009, 05:01:38 PM »
hmmm hmmm  >:(
ah bringing this back up....

these days because of the summit dey country quiet. but the 'rumors' spreading like jesus and dey 2 fish and 7 loaves ah bread.

latest talk, me ain't know if it's rumor/ole talk/fact or what, but latest is the children they found shaved are held up in some house in mt hope. is not 75 ah dem as dey say, more like 25. fishermen in cedros saying this happening years now, that they 'always' seeing boat taking out children and young people from the country.

my question to that is.....nobody dial 911 ?

anyhoo, how it have big big names in this 'human traffiking' that is why, nobody in the high places wanna talk.

now doh gimme no lip, ah giving allyuh how ah getting it.
whether ya believe it or not, me ain't give ah shit. ah juss saying that like Karen and she bank accounts, dis one ain't getting sweep under dey carpet juss so.

My take on something like that is alot of people dont trust the popo and other "enforcement" officials. SO if something like that were happening, alot of people would look the other way for fear of what might happen to them if they open their mouth.

It is a wonder that we have any children left in T&T today1

my goodness.

Of the six hundred and eight (608) persons reported missing for the year 2008, five hundred and seventy three (573) or 94.2% of them were accounted for, while thirty-five (35) cases remain outstanding.

Dispute these FACTS!

Good lord loosen your girdle! She post something, I respond and like you looking for a fight one time? Nobody say we talking bout facts, she specifically say is the latest talk, nobody asking you to believe it. Nobody trying to debate you. Calm down and go take a valium or something.
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

truetrini

« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »
stop posting shit then!  I am not looking for a fight,

Why wuld someone turn they face to people tiefing chirren, when yuh could make phone calls without yuh name and even blocking yuh number?  Steups.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:08:55 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2009, 05:59:57 PM »
I don't know. I on the fence with this. Those people who said they SAW the children ie the port workers the nurses....where them today ? Were they fired for spreading the rumors or they still working. What about the first set of reporters who rushed down to the port with their cameras rolling. If they took snaps and visual recording...where dem or it ? 

What have me scratching meh head is not ONE port worker saw it....it was several that said so.
Everybody and dey fadda have a cellphone that does take snaps. Nobody had enough common sense to take something ? And if they did, were their cell phones taken away by the police ???  Were people threatened ???

Again I on the fence and to me the more you hear people talking, is the more believable it sounds. Again, I not home to know, I just going by hearsay.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:06:36 PM by TriniCana »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
stop posting shit then!  I am not looking for a fight,

Why wuld someone turn they face to people tiefing chirren, when yuh could make phone calls without yuh name and even blocking yuh number?  Steups.

I guess the same way you can turn your face while someone is being murdered, or robbed or beat down.
Fair for your life........ :-\

dunno nah steupse, I wont leave nothing pass the authorities in TnT. Its just too much talk happening.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:05:37 PM by TriniCana »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
I don't know. I on the fence with this. Those people who said they SAW the children ie the port workers the nurses....where them today ? Were they fired for spreading the rumors or they still working. What about the first set of reporters who rushed down to the port with their cameras rolling. If they took snaps and visual recording...where dem or it ? 

What have me scratching meh head is not ONE port worker saw it....it was several that said so.
Everybody and dey fadda have a cellphone that does take snaps. Nobody had enough common sense to take something ? And if they did, were their cell phones taken away by the police ???  Were people threatened ???

Again I on the fence and to me the more you hear people talking, is the more believable it sounds. Again, I not home to know, I just going by hearsay.

Meh fadda in law does work right on the port (Maritime) and he said it had nothing of the sort (actually he said it in more colorful terms).
Also I have a friend who is a customs officer attached to shed 6 (I believe) and she said it was all rumors.

I mean this cover up is area 51 cover up level we talking about here.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »
Sombody Called
Get yor HOT chill pills here
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »

Meh fadda in law does work right on the port (Maritime) and he said it had nothing of the sort (actually he said it in more colorful terms).
Also I have a friend who is a customs officer attached to shed 6 (I believe) and she said it was all rumors.

I mean this cover up is area 51 cover up level we talking about here.

But elan, dry so somebody get up ah morning and say lemme cause some ruction today, and see how fast it could make it's rounds around the country ?
Nah I ain't saying your family lie eh, is juss too much feedback boy....

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »
Sombody Called
Get yor HOT chill pills here

huh???

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »
Of the six hundred and eight (608) persons reported missing for the year 2008, five hundred and seventy three (573) or 94.2% of them were accounted for, while thirty-five (35) cases remain outstanding.

Dispute these FACTS!

So 25 of them held up in Mt Hope...now is just 10 left unaccounted for!!!   :devil:
This is our modern day Lagabless and Dwen stories alyuh eh recognize.

truetrini

« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »
de rest in Couva.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 23, 2009, 03:09:00 AM »
hmmm hmmm  >:(
ah bringing this back up....

these days because of the summit dey country quiet. but the 'rumors' spreading like jesus and dey 2 fish and 7 loaves ah bread.

latest talk, me ain't know if it's rumor/ole talk/fact or what, but latest is the children they found shaved are held up in some house in mt hope. is not 75 ah dem as dey say, more like 25. fishermen in cedros saying this happening years now, that they 'always' seeing boat taking out children and young people from the country.

my question to that is.....nobody dial 911 ?

anyhoo, how it have big big names in this 'human traffiking' that is why, nobody in the high places wanna talk.

now doh gimme no lip, ah giving allyuh how ah getting it.
whether ya believe it or not, me ain't give ah shit. ah juss saying that like Karen and she bank accounts, dis one ain't getting sweep under dey carpet juss so.

My take on something like that is alot of people dont trust the popo and other "enforcement" officials. SO if something like that were happening, alot of people would look the other way for fear of what might happen to them if they open their mouth.

It is a wonder that we have any children left in T&T today1

my goodness.

Dispute these FACTS!

Good lord loosen your girdle! She post something, I respond and like you looking for a fight one time? Nobody say we talking bout facts, she specifically say is the latest talk, nobody asking you to believe it. Nobody trying to debate you. Calm down and go take a valium or something.
How yuh go say the big man does wear a g....e! like ah little birdie does visit yuh from time tuh time or what! :devil: :devil:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2009, 07:35:52 PM »
Running with the rumours

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161458618

Darryl Heeralal Investigative Desk dheeralal@trinidadexpress.com

Sunday, March 29th 2009

PEOPLE are panicked, the country is on edge and any crime story, no matter how fantastic-sounding, is believable.

There are still those who hold as true rumours of children found in a container; that a child was abducted at Trincity Mall and her head shaved by her kidnappers before police found her; and the latest rumour that missing schoolgirls are being prostituted out to expatriates at the Gulf City Shopping Complex.

"There are so many things happening in terms of crime, almost anything can become believable," Dr Christiana Abraham, lecturer in communication studies at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine campus, reasons.

Abraham was asked about her views on what could have prompted the near-hysteria over rumours, fuelled by news reports, that 75 children, whose heads were shaved, were found in a container bound for Cuba at Shed 4 at the Port of Port of Spain on March 3.

"It reflects the state of Trinidad and Tobago. People are panicked, we are on edge. In the context of a crime-ridden society, people have become absorbed with these kind of stories and then it takes on a life of its own."

Abraham believes that had it been in another Caribbean island not faced with similar problems, such a rumour would not have "picked up in that way".

Rumours of the children in the container first hit the airwaves around 10.45 a.m. on March 3, when a man called in to Isha Wells's The Breakfast Show on Soca 91.9FM.

The programme was, at the time, dealing with the disappearance of Leah Lammy, the primary school girl who was reportedly kidnapped soon after leaving school to get a taxi to go home.

The caller asked Wells if she had heard about the children "they" had just found at the port.

Wells said she advised the man to call 555 or 800-TIPS with the information.

About 15 minutes later, a woman called and said she could confirm what the man had said, but gave a different story.

She said her cousin was a soldier and that he had opened the container and found the children, but it was not at the Port of Port of Spain but somewhere close to the army's base in Chaguaramas.

Wells said other people called with similar stories and she said she also heard it on other radio stations.

Someone who was listening to Wells's programme telephoned Marcia Henville just after 11 a.m. while she was hosting her show on Power 102FM.

The person telephoned Henville off-air.

Henville then announced on air that there were rumours of children being found in a container at the port.

Several people also called other media houses-both print and electronic-with similar stories.

However, none of the callers said they actually saw the children, but that they knew someone or had a friend who knew someone who saw the children.

Reporters also called other reporters to find out if they had heard the rumour.

By 11.15 a.m., several calls had already been made to the Commissioner of Police, James Philbert, the Assistant Commissioner of Police Crime and Operations, Raymond Craig, and the police public relations unit.

By midday, the rumour was run as a news story by several radio stations and a few television stations.

Less than an hour and a half after the first call went out to Soca 91.9FM, most of the country was aware of the rumour, with many swearing that it was true based on third- and fourth-hand information.

Other media houses ran the story later as a denial from the Police Service when Philbert sent out a release that the rumours were untrue.

The following day two daily newspapers, including the Express, ran the story on the front pages.

Around the same time that calls were made to the police and the radio stations, people called the port.

Police, Customs and Excise, firemen and port security checked and came up with nothing.

By the following day, an e-mail was circulating, purportedly from a nurse who said she had attended to the children in two different hospitals.

However, the "nurse's" story failed to check out.

The nurse said in the e-mail that she worked at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, during the day and at the Port of Spain General Hospital at night, which, under the present structure of the Regional Health Authorities, is not possible.

Several people interviewed for this story also could not produce anyone who actually saw the children, but could only say that they heard it from someone who told them they could confirm the rumour.

Up to last week, there were callers to radio stations who still believe that children were found at the port, but when asked for evidence they could produce none.

The latest incarnation of the rumour is that the children were not local but were actually "Spanish"-looking and that all 75 are still being treated at the Port of Spain General Hospital for dehydration in a cordoned off area, which the NWRHA says is not true.

"The media has a very important social function, which, in this modern era, can become dysfunctional. The media has become one of our most important social institutions and it is on our reliance on the medium for information the media can become dysfunctional," Abraham said.

"It is in a certain kind of context the media has led the way with its robust coverage of the crime situation that can play a function in this kind of social panic."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Human Trafficking.
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2010, 04:17:01 AM »
PM: We’ll deal with human trafficking
By ANDRE BAGOO Friday, September 3 2010

GOVERNMENT will move to table legislation to deal with human trafficking, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced yesterday as her Minister of National Security Brigadier John Sandy disclosed that he is certain human trafficking is occurring in this country.

“Statistical anecdotal data indicates that the offence of trafficking in persons is evolving in Trinidad and Tobago at an uncomfortable rate,” Sandy said at a post-Cabinet press briefing held at the Coco Reef Resort and Spa at Store Bay, Tobago. He noted that international bodies have given this country second-tier ratings on the issue.

“The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and the United States Department of State both report that TT is a country of transit and of destination and may well be a country of origin,” he said. “There have also been numerous reports circulating throughout foreign media concerning the trafficking of their nationals in Trinidad and Tobago.”

He added, “we in Trinidad and Tobago have recognised, within recent times, the disappearance in particular, of young people and women. And as such we thought that we should do something in respect of organising legislation in that respect.” “The IOM, because of our inability to enact legislation, have graded us tier II and we need to do some improvement. As a consequence we have decided at Cabinet today to make efforts to enact that legislation.”

Accordingly, Cabinet yesterday approved the acceptance of a policy framework to give effect to the United Nations Protocol to prevent, suppress and punish trafficking of persons, especially women and children 2000, he said.

“The Ministry of the Attorney General was detailed to prepare the necessary legislation,” he added. Persad-Bissessar revealed that she had met with US Ambassador Beatrice Wellington-Welters on the issue which has attracted low ratings for this country with international human trafficking trade tracking bodies.

“Trinidad and Tobago could be a transshipment location,” she said at yesterday’s briefing. “We are so well poised, we are so well positioned. They asked us in what way they can assist us.

We met and we were discussing ways in which we could get some assistance on that.” The Minister of National Security said US and Venezuelan officials have evidence “that will prove that there is trafficking in humans, particularly females and young children.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:52 AM »
4,000 students ‘missing’
By ANNA-LISA PAUL Thursday, January 13 2011

FAST on the heel of shocking revelations earlier this week that dozens of school teachers are facing sex charges for molestation, buggery and for sending pornographic texts to students, came another bombshell yesterday by Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh who disclosed that 4,000 registered secondary students have gone, “missing”.

Speaking at an impromptu press conference in the lobby of Police Administration Building in Port-of-Spain, shortly after meeting with Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs, Gopeesingh said of the 86,000 registered secondary students, 4,000 are presently unaccounted for.

As a result, he said memos will be sent to principals of these schools asking them to account for their students. Gopeesingh said he wants to know the whereabouts of these 4,000 missing students especially as he believes that in some instances, “this is where the crime might he emanating from.”

“Some students are not going to school. Some students have gone their devious pathway and it is incumbent on us to trace the pathway for these 4,000 to determine where they are,” Gopeesingh said.

Describing yesterday’s hour-long meeting with Gibbs as “fruitful”, Gopeesingh said he requested the assistance of the Police Commissioner to prevent violence and indiscipline among some students when classes are dismissed.

Identifying 38 high-risk schools and promising that measures would have been implemented with immediate effect from yesterday, Gopeesingh said Gibbs assured him that mobile police patrols will be introduced around these schools when classes end.

Warning gang leaders that their actions to “infiltrate the school system” and entice students will no longer be tolerated, the minister added, “They will be dealt with by the police service quite shortly.”

President of the National Parent Teacher Association, Zena Ramatali echoed the minister’s concern regarding the 4,000 “missing” students and added: “We must not only look at secondary schools but primary schools as well.”

Claiming that more often than not, it was these missing students that ended up in gangs and with female students getting pregnant and/or contracting diseases, Ramatali said the NPTA is seeking a meeting with Gopeesingh to discuss these and other issues.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »
4,000 students ‘missing’
By ANNA-LISA PAUL Thursday, January 13 2011

FAST on the heel of shocking revelations earlier this week that dozens of school teachers are facing sex charges for molestation, buggery and for sending pornographic texts to students, came another bombshell yesterday by Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh who disclosed that 4,000 registered secondary students have gone, “missing”.

Speaking at an impromptu press conference in the lobby of Police Administration Building in Port-of-Spain, shortly after meeting with Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs, Gopeesingh said of the 86,000 registered secondary students, 4,000 are presently unaccounted for.

As a result, he said memos will be sent to principals of these schools asking them to account for their students. Gopeesingh said he wants to know the whereabouts of these 4,000 missing students especially as he believes that in some instances, “this is where the crime might he emanating from.”

“Some students are not going to school. Some students have gone their devious pathway and it is incumbent on us to trace the pathway for these 4,000 to determine where they are,” Gopeesingh said.

Describing yesterday’s hour-long meeting with Gibbs as “fruitful”, Gopeesingh said he requested the assistance of the Police Commissioner to prevent violence and indiscipline among some students when classes are dismissed.

Identifying 38 high-risk schools and promising that measures would have been implemented with immediate effect from yesterday, Gopeesingh said Gibbs assured him that mobile police patrols will be introduced around these schools when classes end.

Warning gang leaders that their actions to “infiltrate the school system” and entice students will no longer be tolerated, the minister added, “They will be dealt with by the police service quite shortly.”

President of the National Parent Teacher Association, Zena Ramatali echoed the minister’s concern regarding the 4,000 “missing” students and added: “We must not only look at secondary schools but primary schools as well.”

Claiming that more often than not, it was these missing students that ended up in gangs and with female students getting pregnant and/or contracting diseases, Ramatali said the NPTA is seeking a meeting with Gopeesingh to discuss these and other issues.

Dey missing from school they eh missing totally. I want to know where the parents in all of this? if children drop out of school is the Principal wuk 2 get dem back in school? yes it have some teachers/principals who does cause chirren to drop out and parents who have dey chirren wukin instead of goin 2 school but y is the Principal who have 2 account?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2013, 04:38:42 AM »
New human trafficking law nets cop
COLOMBIAN CONNECTION
By Sascha Wilson (Guardian).

A police constable with 25 years’ service was denied bail yesterday after appearing in court on ten human-trafficking charges involving three Colombian women. It is alleged that PC Valentino Eastman, 52, who was last assigned to the Mon Repos Police Station, brought the women into the country and harboured them for the purpose of prostitution.

Eastman is the first person in T&T to be charged under the Trafficking in Persons Act of 2011. He appeared before Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington in the San Fernando First Court where the prosecution objected to bail. Eastman was arrested last Thursday after the women were detained and handed over to the Anti-Human Trafficking Unit which launched an investigation into allegations made by the women.

Eastman, of St Julien Village, Princes Town, was slapped with ten charges, including transporting the women to Vistabella for the purpose of exploiting them for prostitution and receiving the women into the country or transporting or harbouring them for the purpose of exploitation. When Eastman appeared yesterday, the magistrate cleared the courtroom of members of the public and press after prosecutor Ramdath Phillip brought to his attention Section 34 of the act which says matters must be heard in camera.

It also says the identities of the victims and their families are to be kept confidential and any breach may lead to a $100,000 fine. Phillip objected to bail for two reasons. Deeming Eastman a flight risk, he said the police had information that he could leave the country by means other than his passport. He also expressed concern that if released on bail Eastman might interfere with prosecution witnesses.

Noting that this was the first such case in the country and possibly in the Caribbean, Phillip asked the magistrate to consider the nature and seriousness of the offences. However, Eastman’s attorney Subhas Panday countered that it was a bailable offence and the prosecution must produce evidence to substantiate the suspicion of witness interference.

He argued that Eastman has strong roots in the country, being a serving member of the protective services and the father of six and grandfather of two. He said Eastman also surrendered his passport and had a fixed place of abode. However, the magistrate upheld the prosecution’s objection and denied bail.

Eastman, who was not called upon to plead, was charged by PC Ramlogan. The matter was adjourned to April 15. Eastman’s attorney will be applying to a judge in the High Court for bail. One of the charges carries a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison for a serving member of the protective services.

PC Valentino Eastman

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »
I am glad that they caught this man but I find it hard to believe that this pipsqueek, former SRP have the resources to singlehandedly find these Colombian women wherever they were, get them from there to Trinidad, maintain them and manage their pimping. If the police had him under surveillance surely they could hold his business partners, corrupt immigration people, other police, etc.

Is this another case of holding the small fry while the big fish gets away?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:09:11 PM by grimm01 »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 10, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »
I am glad that they caught this man but I find it hard to believe that this pipsqueek, former SRP have the resources to singlehandedly find these Colombian women wherever they were, get them from there to Trinidad, maintain them and manage their pimping. If the police had him under surveillance surely they could hold his business partners, corrupt immigration people, other police, etc.

yuh mean like finding 10 million in cocaine in ah house an' eh see nobody come or go, for d length of the surveillance
I pity the fool....

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 10, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »

yuh mean like finding 10 million in cocaine in ah house an' eh see nobody come or go, for d length of the surveillance
lol
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 10, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »

this man is the fall guy...hadda be...them big papi and them is the ones in charge of that racket

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2013, 06:42:11 AM »
is trinidad police we speaking about...... we have to be glad that someone got caught at all
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2013, 01:53:38 AM »
T&T on US human trafficking watch list
By Richard Lord (Guardian).

T&T has been put on a human-trafficking watch list by the US State Department in its June 2013 Trafficking in Persons report. The report listed T&T as “a destination and transit country for adults and children subjected to sex trafficking and adults subjected to forced labour.” Released this week, the report ranked T&T at position 44 in the world.

It said the T&T Government had failed to do enough to address the issue of human trafficking during the 12-month reporting period and “does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking” but was trying. “The Government did not demonstrate evidence of overall increasing efforts to address human trafficking over the previous reporting period; therefore T&T is placed on Tier 2 Watch List,” the State Department said.

The report puts nations in one of three tiers, with Tier One being states with most compliance. It said the Government made progress by proclaiming its anti-trafficking law and establishing a counter-trafficking unit, but those efforts were overshadowed by the Government’s “failure to properly screen and protect hundreds of potential trafficking victims, including the almost 200 victims in a significant forced-labour case involving five fishing vessels stranded off the country’s coast for the majority of the reporting period.”

It said after the anti-trafficking legislation was proclaimed and the counter-trafficking unit established, in March 2013 the authorities raided and arrested 75 foreign women. It noted that despite having the infrastructure in place to screen the women, law enforcement charged the women with solicitation and did not screen them for trafficking indicators or refer them for care and assistance.

It also said experts reported that “trafficking-related complicity of public officials significantly hampered the Government’s ability to effectively address the trafficking problem in T&T.”

While the 2011 law mandates the ministerial task force to monitor and evaluate the government’s anti-trafficking efforts, no such reporting was evident as of April 2013, said the report, and the T&T Government did not undertake measures to reduce the demand for commercial sex acts, such as an awareness campaign targeted at clients of the sex trade.” In addition, the authorities “did not consider child sex tourism to be a problem in T&T and no such cases were identified, investigated, or prosecuted during the reporting period.”

The report recommends that T&T implement the 2011 Trafficking in Persons Act fully to vigorously investigate and prosecute trafficking offences, and convict and sentence trafficking offenders. The act prohibits sex trafficking and forced labour, contains extensive victim protections and prescribes penalties of 15 years to life imprisonment with fines.

The US report said the T&T Government “took inadequate steps to proactively identify and protect trafficking victims during the majority of the reporting period,” and consequently few victims were able to benefit from the extensive victim provisions codified in the country’s anti-trafficking law. The trafficking law “explicitly protects victims from punishment for crimes committed as a direct result of a trafficking situation, but police failed to proactively screen women detained.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2014, 02:14:34 AM »
Human trafficking expert: Boom in child porn in T&T
Published: Wednesday, April 9, 2014
By Yvonne Baboolal (Guardian)

A child could be trafficked and still go home and sleep in his/her bed every night, says Adrian Alexander, president of the Caribbean Umbrella Body for Restorative Behaviour (CURB). Alexander says there is a boom in child sex tourism in T&T. He revealed a side of human trafficking different from the Hollywood movie Taken, which is closer to home. Explaining how it works, he said, “The smart phone your child has, or even the laptop the Government gave him, is the portal through which this is being done.

“A foreigner can stay in his home or office and (through the Internet) have a child disrobe and perform sexual acts on himself or herself, perhaps even paying for it.” Alexander said that was linked to organised crime and told how he and CURB volunteers were threatened, followed and had their telephones monitored for their awareness campaign. He said, “There is a boom in child porn in T&T. Videos are being done by children and circulated.

“It’s not always a case of a badly behaved child. These young people could be victims of human trafficking. “It’s happening in secondary and primary schools. The Education Ministry is aware there has been an increase in sexual activity among children at a younger age. It’s happening, it’s a reality. It’s not a figment of our imaginations.” He said under the act, transporting a person under 18 or recruiting him/her for the purpose of making child pornography, is a crime.

Alexander spoke to the Guardian as CURB, this week, launched a smart phone mobile app to assist in the prevention of human trafficking in T&T and the Caribbean. CURB was part of a Cabinet-appointed multi-sectoral task force that helped shape the Trafficking in Persons Act proclaimed in January 2013. The International Organisation on Migration partnered with the Government to initiate the political action, which fell under the Ministry of National Security.

The group, an umbrella body of various civil society organisations, including Vision on Mission, New Hope Prison Ministry, Transformed Life Ministry and Woman Thou Art Loosed Foundation, has embarked on a training programme for teachers and parents about this little-known aspect of human trafficking. An online article by PRWEB in New York on Monday reported that the free globally available anti-human trafficking mobile application empowers victims and communities to safely report cases.

There is a section directed to young people, as well as job seekers and migrants from outside T&T who can be informed about the risks of human trafficking. “The Counter-Trafficking Unit has rescued a number of child and adult victims from sex and labour exploitation and domestic servitude. “The 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Trafficking in Persons Report from the US State Department identified T&T as a source country for trafficked persons.”

“T&T was placed on a human trafficking watch list last year by the US State Department and listed as a destination and transit country for adults and children subjected to sex trafficking and adults subjected to forced labour.” The report said unconfirmed findings of the National Security Ministry states victims of trafficking between June 2009 and August 2012 were 39 per cent Venezuelan, 31 per cent Colombian, eight per cent Guyanese and 22 per cent from the Dominican Republic.

About the APP

The app is titled “Trafficking in Trinbago” and educates users on the extent of human trafficking in the region and tells how to identify, prevent and report it. The online report said the CURB team uses links, downloads and videos within the app to help users recognise signs of the crime, reasons why it might occur and how, including targeted information on work permits and due diligence specific to local youth, migrants and job-seekers.

“Perhaps it most important feature is the Report It button, which gives the option of immediately connecting the user’s iPhone or Android Smartphone with relevant law enforcement agencies, including the local police, Child Line and 800-TIPS, and directly emailing the Counter Trafficking Unit to report suspected cases.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2015, 03:58:40 AM »
Ramona struggles with drug blocks, brothels, human trafficking.
By Rhondor Dowlat (Guardian).

Hundreds of millions of dollars have already been spent in the Couva North constituency in infrastructural development, water projects, and street lighting programmes. But according to MP for the area Ramona Ramdial, in spite of all the developmental works and improvement, she has been facing challenges with brothels, drug blocks, human trafficking, the slow disbursement of allocations to her constituency from various ministries, and even the attitude of some of the residents themselves.

Ramdial, also Minister in the Ministry of Water Resources and the Environment, was speaking with the Sunday Guardian when she said: “We have challenges with the residents themselves. Sometimes we go in to do a project and they claiming state property are theirs and it hinders the whole process. “With crime, I have had challenges with the brothels, drug blocks and human trafficking, but I am working closely with Snr Supt Johnny Abraham.”

The Sunday Guardian, in its pre-election constituency watch, went to the Couva North constituency to speak with residents and hear their thoughts and feelings about the work done or not done in their area, and the performance of their MP to date. Harry Bhagwandeen, 77, of Roopsingh Road, Carapichaima, said he believes that things only got worse in the country compared to long ago.

“Long time people got jobs easily and they were able to save their money and set an inheritance for their children and grandchildren.” Sitting on a chair by the roadside under the hot blazing sun, Bhagwandeen further explained: “Nowadays, people only working to pay bills and cannot save because the cost of living is too high, and the Government not doing anything to help out the situation. “The youths struggling to get jobs and when they do get something, it’s for small money.”

Cassava Street, Carapichaima resident Vandyke Jack, 64, complained of a drain which the relevant authorities failed to refurbish. He claimed he was promised a box drain as the present drain would overflow and cause flooding when it rains. John Singh, 50, of Jagbir Street, Korea Village, reminisced when the village was adopted by Oma Panday, wife of former Couva North MP and former prime minister Basdeo Panday.

Singh said the Pandays frequented the village in those years, so everyone knew them well. “They know what they looked like. They came and made sure the people in the village were okay. I wouldn’t lie eh, she (Ramdial) must be come in the village about three times. That is not enough,” Singh said. He, however, admitted though that a lot of infrastructural works were done by this present administration. “Ramdial really work hard because we have box drains. We have electricity including street lights and most importantly, pipe-borne water,” Singh said.

Another resident of Korea Village, Kishoor Mohan, 47, lamented the absence of box drains close to Jagbir Street Extension and the deplorable roads. Mohan, a father of five, also said there was need for more job opportunities for people like himself and others throughout the village. Mohan, who is unemployed, struggles to make ends meet by doing odd jobs including getting an end at a scrapyard.

Residents of Wyaby, Carapichaima, praised Ramdial for her involvement in getting, for the first time, a pipe-borne supply of water, electricity, box drains and paved roads. Raffick Mohammed, 77, his relative, Zorina, 54, and their neighbour, Audrey Spencer pleaded with the Government to give them Deeds of Comfort for the state lands they have been occupying for more than 40 years. “We cannot do anything to our wooden houses until we get regularised. The lots are overlapping too,” Raffick said.

Waterloo fisherman Lal Ramrattan, 64, said the only thing he was disappointed with was the failure to have a proper slipway constructed to facilitate the fishermen in the area. “Some years ago, we backfilled the area and tried our hand on the slipway but now we need the intervention to have a proper one because here is where the boats are repaired and refurbished,” Ramrattan said. The Waterloo Bay is located next to the Waterloo Cremation Site and the Temple in the Sea.

Residents also noted the lack of maintenance and beautification of the area given the fact that it is a major tourist attraction and people from all over the world frequent the area on a daily basis. Residents of Ragoonanan Road West, Perseverance Road (Chandernagore), complained of a broken bridge that links to the Perseverance Road. One resident, who wished not to be identified, said for years they have begged and pleaded with former MP Panday and now, the present MP Ramdial to have the bridge restored.

A Chandernagore businesswoman, who did not want her name to be used, said there was a high spate of robberies in the area. “Because of the heavy traffic flow in the back here plenty motorists are held up and robbed,” the businesswoman said. The Perseverance Road links Chaguanas to Orange Field Road, Chase Village, and is used as an alternative to avoid traffic backup during peak hours along the Old Southern Main Road. The businesswoman said that the Perseverance Road (Chandenagore) is in dire need of widening and being paved.

more info

Progress report of work done by Ramdial
Infrastructural projects—60 per cent completed
Water projects—95 per cent completed
Alleviation of flooding—60 per cent completed
Street lighting programmes—work in progress

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2019, 12:30:58 AM »
Villagers—Land grabbing, drug, human trafficking in Carapichaima
By Rhondor Dowlat-Rostant (Guardian).

There is said to be an “in­va­sion” of Colom­bians and Venezue­lans at Brick­field in Cara­pichaima which are caus­ing grave con­cerns by vil­lagers who are claim­ing that il­le­gal ac­tiv­i­ties are on a ram­pant in­crease in­clud­ing State land grab­bing, drug traf­fick­ing, guns and am­mu­ni­tion traf­fick­ing and hu­man traf­fick­ing.

The vil­lagers are now call­ing on Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er Gary Grif­fith and oth­er rel­e­vant au­thor­i­ties to in­ter­vene and “clean up the area” in an at­tempt to re­store peace, law and or­der.

They claim that their nu­mer­ous re­ports to a near­by po­lice sta­tion have fall­en on “deaf ears and blind eyes” main­ly be­cause they be­lieve that there is an al­leged re­la­tion­ship be­tween a se­nior po­lice of­fi­cer at the sta­tion and a fe­male Colom­bian woman.

It is al­leged that the woman is the moth­er of a young Colom­bian man who is de­scribed as the “mas­ter­mind” be­hind many of the il­le­gal ac­tiv­i­ties in the area.

It is al­leged that the Colom­bian young man is in­volved in back­fill­ing swamp lands at Tem­ple Road and block­ing off lots of land with steel posts and wire fenc­ing and sell­ing it be­tween $10,000 to $15,000.

Guardian Me­dia went to the area and cap­tured sev­er­al im­ages of the land de­vel­op­ment. When ap­proached sev­er­al squat­ters de­nied to di­vulge any in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing how they end­ed up liv­ing in their re­spec­tive spots. Some, who al­leged­ly pur­chased land from the Colom­bian al­so re­fused to di­vulge any in­for­ma­tion, how­ev­er, point­ed out a small wood­en house that is al­leged­ly owned and oc­cu­pied by the young man. No one was at the house at the time of Guardian Me­dia’s vis­it.

One vil­lager, who wished not to be iden­ti­fied for fear of his life, said vil­lagers are threat­ened to “keep their mouths shut.”

“Many times our re­ports to the sta­tion are not be­ing tak­en. If our calls are an­swered we are be­ing told that there is no po­lice car avail­able...most times the sta­tion’s phones ring out...no an­swer,” the vil­lager said.

“We need our vil­lage back! We have guns point­ed to our faces, we are robbed and bul­lied by the Venezue­lans and Colom­bians. We see the trans­port ve­hi­cles com­ing in and go­ing out with drugs and guns in­clud­ing pri­vate cars, po­lice ve­hi­cles and am­bu­lances be­cause who re­al­ly go­ing to stop an am­bu­lance or po­lice car?” the vil­lager added.

There are al­so sev­er­al bars op­er­at­ing in the area that have hired the Colom­bian and Venezue­lan women to work 24/7, some of whom are be­ing de­scribed as “slaves” by the vil­lagers who claim that they strong­ly be­lieve that their pass­port are be­ing tak­en away by the bar own­ers and there­fore they have no oth­er choice but to work in the bars and “fol­low what­ev­er in­struc­tions they are al­leged­ly giv­en.”

At least four pri­vate cars have been ob­served and iden­ti­fied as “trans­porter ve­hi­cles” one of which is seen be­ing dri­ven by the Colom­bian man.

When con­tact­ed yes­ter­day for com­ment Cou­va North Mem­ber of Par­lia­ment Ra­mona Ram­di­al con­firmed State land grab­bing is­sues over the years since the Peo­ple’s Part­ner­ship gov­ern­ment but ad­mit­ted that in the last year there has been an in­crease in squat­ters in the Tem­ple Road, Bay Road and an area re­ferred to as Mon­tano Farms.

Ram­di­al, whilst not be­ing able to di­vulge the iden­ti­ties of the peo­ple in­volved in the il­le­gal land de­vel­op­ment and sale of the lands said that she wouldn’t put it pass the in­volve­ment of the Colom­bians.

“State lands be­ing tak­en and sold over by squat­ters and crim­i­nal el­e­ments is in fact true. I know peo­ple have got­ten shot over land that was sold to them and be­fore they knew it the land was resold to some­one else. The is­sue of squat­ting has been a very volatile is­sue in Brick­field for many years, “ Ram­di­al said.

She, how­ev­er, not­ed that some squat­ters have been giv­en let­ters of com­fort be­cause of the length of time they have been oc­cu­py­ing the lands but added that even they are now the tar­gets of the in­creas­ing im­mi­grant pop­u­la­tion in the area.

“I would want to be­lieve that the Colom­bians may be in­volved be­cause of some sto­ries I have heard that are amaz­ing,” Ram­di­al said.

The mem­ber of par­lia­ment al­so said that the Brick­field area is a very vi­able area to ex­plore for tourist pur­pos­es be­cause years ago peo­ple would go there be­cause of the swamp and for bird watch­ing, “What is al­so brew­ing is that lo­cals squat­ting on a por­tion of state lands called Mon­tano Farms by the fish­ing de­pot which was giv­en for aqua cul­ture where shrimp farm­ing was done but that didn’t work out so the land was left aban­doned...now be­cause of the squat­ters a mas­sive steel struc­ture has been erect­ed block­ing off the coast­line dis­rupt­ing fish­er­men, oys­ter and crab catch­ers from ply­ing their trade. Their ac­cess is blocked off.”

Ram­di­al said she has sub­mit­ted re­ports to the Min­is­ter of Agricul­tre Clarence Ramb­harat and the Plan­ning Min­is­ter Camille Robin­son-Reg­is. She added that pos­i­tive feed­back was giv­en by both min­is­ters to ad­dress the is­sues.

CoP Grif­fith is in re­ceipt of the in­for­ma­tion and will in­ter­vene.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2020, 03:58:29 AM »
Cop, V'zuelan denied bail for human trafficking
BY SEETA PERSAD (NEWSDAY).

A police officer attached to Central Division Police and a Venezuelan appeared in the Chaguanas Magistrate Court on Friday charged with human trafficking. The two appeared before senior magistrate Rajendra Rambachan. The two were not jointly charged. They were denied bail pending further investigations and are now in police custody.

Central police said that the officer would re-appear in court on Monday.

Attorney Aaron Levi Daniel Smith, who represented the Venezuelan, said his client would remain in police custody for two weeks.

“The police has already made an application for tracing of my client through Interpol's database and this will be done within two weeks.”

The Venezuelan is scheduled to return to court on February 27.

According to a police report, the Western Division and the Defence Force carried out an early-morning exercise at Big Yard, Carenage, on Monday which led to the discovery of Venezuelan migrants.

Among them were ten men, six women, a 15-year-old boy and a two-month-old girl. The police officer and Venezuelan were arrested and taken to the Four Roads police station where they were interviewed by members of the Counter Trafficking Unit.

The migrants were handed over to the Immigration Division.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2020, 06:12:27 AM »
Three Police Officers held on suspicion of trafficking in minors
T&T Guardian Reports.

Three po­lice of­fi­cers and a civil­ian were ar­rest­ed ear­ly this morn­ing on sus­pi­cion of be­ing gang mem­bers as well as traf­fick­ing in per­sons.

The homes and the lock­ers of the three po­lice­men were searched, and among the items seized were cell phones. The of­fi­cers are at­tached to the Cen­tral Di­vi­sion.

Dur­ing the ex­er­cise, one of the po­lice of­fi­cers com­plained of chest pains and was tak­en to hos­pi­tal for treat­ment.

The three po­lice of­fi­cers and the civil­ian held to­day are be­ing ques­tioned about the traf­fick­ing of per­sons, main­ly mi­nors, from Venezuela.

The ex­er­cise was car­ried out by the Counter Traf­fick­ing Unit (CTU), with the sup­port of the In­ter-Agency Task Force (IATF) and the Spe­cial Op­er­a­tions Re­sponse Team (SORT).

To­day’s ar­rests fol­low a sim­i­lar ex­er­cise on Mon­day 10th Feb­ru­ary 2020, in which one po­lice­man and a Venezue­lan na­tion­al were ar­rest­ed and lat­er charged with var­i­ous of­fences.

In­ves­ti­ga­tions are on­go­ing.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:35 AM »
Two cops held for human trafficking
BY JADA LOUTOO (NEWSDAY).

Two police officers are among three people charged with trafficking of a child for the purpose of exploitation.

Acting Insp Rajesh Gokool, 47, and acting Sgt Richard Lalbeharry, 43, both of whom were assigned to the Central Division, were also charged with receiving a benefit knowing it resulted from the offence of trafficking of a child, supporting a gang in the commission of gang-related activity and misbehavior in public office.

Gookool was also charged with sexual penetration of a child.

Also charged was Matthew Ross, 39, a bar manager of Freeport. He was charged with supporting a gang in the commission of gang-related activity.

The three men are expected to appear before a Chaguanas magistrate on Wednesday. They were charged on Monday.

They were among four suspects arrested by officers of a special task force put together by the Commissioner of Police, in conjunction with the Counter-Trafficking Unit, during an anti-crime exercise conducted in the Central Division on Friday.

The special task force was assisted by officers of the Special Operations Response Team and the Inter-Agency Task Force.

Police said investigations into the suspected trafficking in persons, mainly minors, from Venezuela, are ongoing.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »
Senior cops charged with trafficking V'zuelan minor
AZARD ALI (NEWSDAY).

TWO senior police officers from the Chaguanas Police Station were on Wednesday granted $1.3 million bail on charges of trafficking a child of Venezuelan nationality.

Senior magistrate Rajendra Rambachan in the Chaguanas magistrates' court, ordered Ag Inspector Rajesh Gokool, 47, of Southern Main Road, La Romaine and Sgt Richard Lalbeharry, of Chase Village, Carapichaima, to surrender their passports. Appearing alongside with the top cops who were stationed at Chaguanas Police Station, was bar manager Mathew Ross, of Freeport.

Rambachan read two charges to Gokool that between October 1 and November 26, 2019, he recruited, transported, transferred and harboured a child for the purpose of exploitation. A third charge alleged that between the same dates, he sexually penetrated the child. And a fourth alleged that between the same dates, Gokool obtained a financial benefit knowing that it resulted from trafficking a child.

A fifth charge against Gokool read by Rambachan alleged that between the same dates, he wilfully misconducted himself in office by transporting and harbouring a child for the purpose of exploitation.

Attorney Kevin Ratiram who represented Gokool, pleaded for bail on the indictable charges, saying that the police inspector had been in the service for the past 27 years. Rambachan granted him $700,000 bail with a cash alternative of $70,000.

He ordered that Gokool surrender his passport and that he not leave TT without permission of the court.

Rambachan then read a charge to Lalbeharry, that between the same dates, he obtained a financial benefit from the trafficking of a child. A second charge alleged that he received and harboured a child for the purpose of exploitation. And a third and fourth alleged that he provided support for a gang leader by transporting and harbouring a child for exploitation and being holder of public office, he misconducted himself.

Attorney John Heath who pleaded for bail, said that Lalbeharry had been a police officer for the past 23 years. The magistrate granted him $600,000 bail or $60,00 deposit.

Rambachan then read to Ross, 39, who was represented by attorney Keith Beckles, a charge that he knowingly provided support to a gang leader by receiving, transporting and harbouring a child for exploitation. Beckles pleaded for bail saying that Ross would adhere to whatever reporting conditions the court imposed.

Rambachan granted $500,000 bail and ordered Ross to report to the Freeport Police Station every Thursday before 10 am.

The arrest and charges of the three stemmed from investigations by the Counter Trafficking Unit Special Task Force, Port of Spain. The child in question is under 18 years old and cannot be identified.

The three are to reappear on March 25.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »
Young disturbed by local human traffickers
RADHICA DE SILVA (GUARDIAN).

Minister of National Security Stuart Young says he is disturbed by the number of locals involved in human trafficking rings between T&T and Venezuela.

In an interview with Guardian Media yesterday, Young said all available assets including the 24-hour radar were being used to monitor the coasts.

This has resulted in the recent arrests of several boatloads of Venezuelan nationals and locals believed to have been hired to transport the Venezuelans to several locations inland.

A source disclosed that on July 16, a total of 46 Venezuelans was intercepted and detained by the Coast Guard and taken to the Cedros Security Complex.

A further 12 Venezuelan migrants were arrested at the Palo Seco Beach a day later during a sting operation while eight more were arrested in Siparia en route to a safe house on July 16.
In photographs obtained by Guardian Media, about a dozen of the nationals detained at the Cedros Security Complex were children, some less than two-years-old. The Venezuelan mothers sat on the concrete floor under a car park shed outside the Complex, hugging their children close while the men were separated and placed on another part of the complex. 

Young said the Coast Guard has continued to do its best to protect T&T's maritime borders. 

"We are using all available assets, including the coastal radar system. There have been a number of successful interceptions of boats attempting to bring illegal immigrants into Trinidad within recent times. Some of these vessels are escorted back to Venezuela and some depending on the circumstances are escorted to Trinidad," Young revealed. 

He added, "What is disturbing is the number of Trinidadians involved in these human trafficking schemes."

Asked what was being done to prevent the possible spread of diseases including COVID-19, Young said, "In keeping with the COVID 19 Health protocols, the illegal immigrants are quarantined before arrangements are made for their return to Venezuela."

He added, "We have set up a special quarantine facility at the Heliport in Chaguaramas where they are quarantined and monitored until return to Venezuela."

Young said he has asked the T&T Police Service to institute investigations and charges of the Trinidadian individuals who are involved and caught in these operations.

"The T&T Defence Force, TTPS and Immigration will continue to do their best to protect our borders," Young added.

Meanwhile, councillor for Cedros Shankar Teelucksingh said migrants were entering T&T's waters in the offtime when officers leave patrols to change shifts. He recommended that shifts be changed at sea.

Last Sunday, Guardian Media's Joshua Seemungal exposed the findings of a 2019 Caricom Human Trafficking study which showed that corrupt law enforcement officers were involved in human trafficking between Venezuela and T&T.

A source told Guardian Media that some Venezuelans pay as much as US$2,000 to ensure safe travel from Venezuela to T&T. The monies are used to pay to corrupt officers from Venezuela's military as well as local law enforcement personnel who have links with traffickers operating brothels. Many of the women brought in are forced to work as sex slaves and prostitutes, according to the Caricom report.

The report carried out by researcher Dr C Justine Pierre, and assisted by Nayrobis Rodriguez, gathered information from traffickers, smugglers, victims, law enforcement officers, as well as from anti-human trafficking organizations in more than 32 countries.

One Venezuelan trafficker indicated that through his connection with elements in the T&T Police Service, he has been assured of protection by officers who advise him where to enter the country.

He also claimed that the officers provide security for the safe-houses where the women are kept before they are transported to specific in trucks, cars, maxi-taxis, and vans.

Some of the Venezuelan migrants arrested on July 16 by TT Coast Guard sit outside the Cedros Security Complex.

Another group of Venezuelan migrants arrested on July 16 by TT Coast Guard sit outside the Cedros Security Complex.

1]; } ?>