April 27, 2024, 10:55:33 AM

Author Topic: Kanoute Palestine Support in the Copa del Rey  (Read 9832 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kanoute Palestine Support in the Copa del Rey
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
Toppa..Kicker..all dat and Real Madrid is still shi* :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
So leh me ask here ... Kaka does be gehhin fine every week when he buss a Jesus jersey?

I see the 'flaw' in my question buh ah go leh it ride ...  fuh now at least
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:12:05 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
So leh me ask here ... Kaka does be gehhin fine every week when he buss a Jesus jersey?

I see the 'flaw' in my question buh ah go leh it ride ...  fuh now at least

Was waiting for someone to ask this.

Although there's a difference it's a good question.... though I don't recall Kaka flashing his jesus jersey week in week out after scoring.  I remember him pulling it out after WC '02. and I've seen pics of him with it on... but never seen it as part of his Milan celebration. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:04:16 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 07:56:12 PM »
Kanoute can do what he pleases, ONCE it not in sighting a riot.
 Remember 1968 Olympics when US track and field stars protest black inequality by raising a black gloved fist.
If someone dictating when you eat,get water, bath, have electricity for years, and you have rockets, you'll fire the shit at them. Hamas won a democratic election and because US and Israel don't like it, so they blockade Gaza.
If US staving your family and say NO Carnival in 2009 in Trinidad you'll do the same. The bling bling we all buy in the Big Apple, the Israeli get them South Africa back in the days of apartheid and today in the Congo,and the rest of Africa.

Happy New Year fellas.

1. You can't really compare the gesture by Tommie Smith and John Carlos to this... the equivalent would have been a t-shirt saying "Peace in the Middle East" rather than a sign of solidarity with any one factor.

2. The rest of your post is a gross oversimplification of the situation between Palestine and Israel.  Gaza isn't blockaded.  Regardless as to their politics, the fact is that Hamas is a terrorist organization who owe their existence to Syria, much as Hezbollah does in Lebanon.  While Israel shares much of the blame for the current situation, by no means are they entirely at fault.  They certainly aren't the ones who broke the truce and instigated this current round of fighting.

3. Your statements regarding the jewellers is not only an ill fit for this conversation, but it also carries a thinly-veiled undercurrent of anti-semitism... positing as you will, the greed of a relatively handful of Jewish jewellers onto all the people of Israel.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
Well done, Freddie!!  I aplaud your black ass for making some kinda statement, doing it the way you felt was best because God knows, them jews and israelis have every other means of communicating their plight and having their story told, cornered.   For God knows how long, them Palestinians and them jews been fighting between themselves but there has been such a disproportionate shift in the balance of power to favor the jews since England and the usa decide to start siding with the jews that the Palestinians no longer exist any more..... dem is not people.  or so it seems.  dem Palestinian pelt two-tree big stone at dem, is tear gas and bullet in dey ass!  Hamas send two-tree rocket in sparsely populated areas: four people dead.....is all kinda technology and smart bomb to mash-up de place: 800+ gone dong de drain......Palestinians is not people, too?  Freddie musn't make NO KINDA gesture of solidarity with a people that is suffering?  Just because the laws of football say so?  Wasn't Cassius Clay Muhammed Ali eventually deified for what he was initially vilified for by making a political stand, refusing to go to vietnam?  Didn't the respective governing bodies see to it that he was stripped of his titles and/or disallowed from from plying his trade?  If they could get sport involved with politics then, why can't Freddie do it now?  israel could carry out ALL KINDA pre-emptive strike on any of its neighbours and nobody cyah say "boo."  Yuh say ANYTHING critical of a jew and yuh "anti semetic."  Man, haul dem moddah cont eh! They was trading arms with south africa and flourishing in the diamond industry all while Mandela was in jail and his people was suffering (and I eh want to hear no shit 'bout it being only a "handful of greedy jews" because one jew is for all and all is for one......and ALL AH DEM GREEDY!!).....yuh would think, the way they and the usa always crying "terrorism" that jewish people haven't been reigning terror on these Palestinians in their own way.  What Hamas and Hezbollah are doing against israel now aint no different from what the Haganah and the Irgun were doing against the "British Imperialists" sixty-something years ago. You GO, Freddie!!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
Well done, Freddie!!  I aplaud your black ass for making some kinda statement, doing it the way you felt was best because God knows, them jews and israelis have every other means of communicating their plight and having their story told, cornered.   For God knows how long, them Palestinians and them jews been fighting between themselves but there has been such a disproportionate shift in the balance of power to favor the jews since England and the usa decide to start siding with the jews that the Palestinians no longer exist any more..... dem is not people.  or so it seems.  dem Palestinian pelt two-tree big stone at dem, is tear gas and bullet in dey ass!  Hamas send two-tree rocket in sparsely populated areas: four people dead.....is all kinda technology and smart bomb to mash-up de place: 800+ gone dong de drain......Palestinians is not people, too?  Freddie musn't make NO KINDA gesture of solidarity with a people that is suffering?  Just because the laws of football say so?  Wasn't Cassius Clay Muhammed Ali eventually deified for what he was initially vilified for by making a political stand, refusing to go to vietnam?  Didn't the respective governing bodies see to it that he was stripped of his titles and/or disallowed from from plying his trade?  If they could get sport involved with politics then, why can't Freddie do it now?  israel could carry out ALL KINDA pre-emptive strike on any of its neighbours and nobody cyah say "boo."  Yuh say ANYTHING critical of a jew and yuh "anti semetic."  Man, haul dem moddah cont eh! They was trading arms with south africa and flourishing in the diamond industry all while Mandela was in jail and his people was suffering (and I eh want to hear no shit 'bout it being only a "handful of greedy jews" because one jew is for all and all is for one......and ALL AH DEM GREEDY!!).....yuh would think, the way they and the usa always crying "terrorism" that jewish people haven't been reigning terror on these Palestinians in their own way.  What Hamas and Hezbollah are doing against israel now aint no different from what the Haganah and the Irgun were doing against the "British Imperialists" sixty-something years ago. You GO, Freddie!!

You seriously trying to compare Kanoute with Muhammad Ali?  :rotfl: :rotfl:

I've officially seen it all in dis thread yes, lol

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »

England may be why Israel exists in the first place, but England currently does not back Israel relentlessly like the US. Most Brits "support" Palestine, not Israel; the British Prime Minister wouldnt dare come out in favour of Israel, the way that Bush & Co do.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »

Seriously Chow? One jew is for all and all for one? All Jews Greedy?
ok  :'(

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »

England may be why Israel exists in the first place, but England currently does not back Israel relentlessly like the US. Most Brits "support" Palestine, not Israel; the British Prime Minister wouldnt dare come out in favour of Israel, the way that Bush & Co do.

What I'm referring to, Ryan, was England's attempt at transplanting a number of European jews early on in the 20th century in Palestine and they (transplants) wreaked havoc on them Palestinians.  I would imagine now that the Brits would not have forgotten how Menachem Begin and them terrorized them, the Arabs and blew the British army out of Jerusalem in 1946.  It was Harry Truman, under the pressured lobbying of one of his aides (jewish, of course) that set the ball rolling through the UN for establishing Israel as a recognized state.

Filho, you really think I talking about every single living jewish person as being down for their own cause and vice versa?  Come nah man, Jed, I KNOW you smarter than that.

Bake and Shark.........you really take what I wrote to mean that I am comparing Freddie Kanoute to Muhammed Ali?!?!  Aren't you supposed to be smarter than that man?  See why I does tell yuh yuh is a educated fool?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »
Bake and Shark.........you really take what I wrote to mean that I am comparing Freddie Kanoute to Muhammed Ali?!?!  Aren't you supposed to be smarter than that man?  See why I does tell yuh yuh is a educated fool?

I'm talking about your comparison of their actions you simpleton, not a personal comparison of each man... didn't think I needed to spell that out for you.  Muhammad Ali wasn't protesting nor was he showing sign of solidarity with anyone or anything.  Muhammad Ali was a conscientious objector, meaning that he objected to being drafted for the war in Vietnam, his opposition wasn't to the war itself, he was personally caught up, and just didn't want any part of it.

Kanoute on the other hand from all appearances isn't personally affected by the situation in Palestine, he's making what can best be considered a political show of solidarity with the Palestinian people... could even easily be termed a protest.  One is political the other was personal.  One is a symbolic gesture, the other was premeditated act of personal defiance made with due consideration of the legal consequences.  Kanoute risked a token fine (relative to his salary), Muhammad Ali made his decision knowing full well it would cost him his freedom.  Kanoute likely won't miss any playing time... Muhammad Ali lost his titles and the right to ply his trade for 3 yrs.

In light of the penalty each man knew they would be facing, the bravery shown by Ali cannot be compared with Kanoute's actions.  In light of the penalty paid by each man in the end... the sacrifice shown by Ali cannot be compared to Kanoute's actions.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »

I'm talking about your comparison of their actions you simpleton, not a personal comparison of each man... didn't think I needed to spell that out for you.  Muhammad Ali wasn't protesting nor was he showing sign of solidarity with anyone or anything.  Muhammad Ali was a conscientious objector, meaning that he objected to being drafted for the war in Vietnam, his opposition wasn't to the war itself, he was personally caught up, and just didn't want any part of it.

Kanoute on the other hand from all appearances isn't personally affected by the situation in Palestine, he's making what can best be considered a political show of solidarity with the Palestinian people... could even easily be termed a protest.  One is political the other was personal.  One is a symbolic gesture, the other was premeditated act of personal defiance made with due consideration of the legal consequences.  Kanoute risked a token fine (relative to his salary), Muhammad Ali made his decision knowing full well it would cost him his freedom.  Kanoute likely won't miss any playing time... Muhammad Ali lost his titles and the right to ply his trade for 3 yrs.

In light of the penalty each man knew they would be facing, the bravery shown by Ali cannot be compared with Kanoute's actions.  In light of the penalty paid by each man in the end... the sacrifice shown by Ali cannot be compared to Kanoute's actions.

Again, Jackass, I was not comparing any aspect of the two of them whether it be their actions, political views, symbolic gestures OR token acts of solidarity.   What I was comparing was people's/authorities'/governing bodies' assertion that Athletes should not use their athletic platform to get "involved" with politics (or personal gestures of solidarity or whatever) but governing bodies of sports don't necessarily stay within their own bounds when acting on an athlete's actions, as was the case with Muhammed Ali.  I was in no way, shape or form, comparing Freddie Kanoute to him, but the high-flying, complex, all-anal, idiotic critic that you are, you would chose to see it that I was.  Once again, that is why I call you an educated fool.   

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »
Well he was fined by the Committee but a lot of fans lauded the gesture.

The Palentinian embassy in Spain sent their thanks and the Israeli embassy saw nothing wrong with it, saying it would not incite violence.

So there!

Of course the Palestinian embassy would say thanks...and of course the Israeli embassy would remain diplomatic...

And as expected he was fined, not for his gesture... but for the point being made all along- wrong platform!! There's even a rule against- that I didn't even know of before:

According to goal.com:

"The Malian striker lifted his top to reveal a t-shirt with the word Palestine across the front, as well as words in Arabic, and has been found worthy of a punishment under article 120.The rule prohibits players from revealing messages of a religious or political nature on the pitch, and hence Kanouté has been fined €3,000, according to AS."

According to you Kanoute's gesture had nothing to do with politics though right?   :heehee:

All feel some people miss dis post so ah bring it up again .... like some people want another lap top issue again ... It against de rules ..he get fine ..case closed !

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »

Again, Jackass, I was not comparing any aspect of the two of them whether it be their actions, political views, symbolic gestures OR token acts of solidarity.   What I was comparing was people's/authorities'/governing bodies' assertion that Athletes should not use their athletic platform to get "involved" with politics (or personal gestures of solidarity or whatever) but governing bodies of sports don't necessarily stay within their own bounds when acting on an athlete's actions, as was the case with Muhammed Ali.  I was in no way, shape or form, comparing Freddie Kanoute to him, but the high-flying, complex, all-anal, idiotic critic that you are, you would chose to see it that I was.  Once again, that is why I call you an educated fool.   

Oh my bad... silly me for seeing you mention Muhammad Ali's situation and Freddy Kanoute's situation in the same breath Gand thinking that yuh was making ah comparison between both ah dem situation.  Given your intellectual deficits, you calling me ah "educated fool" can only be construed as a compliment.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 09:05:48 PM »

I don't think this move by the league has anything to do with a "disproportionate shift in the balance of power to favor the jews since England and the usa decide to start siding with the jews" as you put it, nor does it have anything to do with anyone's view on Freddy's solidarity with Palestine.  I think if Freddy flaunted a shirt with "Israel" on it, he'd receive the same treatment....

I think the idea behind FIFA/UEFA/La liga establishing rules of this sort is to:

1) Make a statement that the field of play is one where religious and political differences are put aside.

2) Disclaim themselves as an organization from any one political affiliation or the other, as a neutral multi-national body.  Sorta like how TV stations disclaim the views of callers on live talk shows...(whereas you can't really control callers on a live show), you can set rules for players plying their trade under your governing body. I think it's totally fair and reasonable.

I don't think UEFA/La liga per se has an objection to Freddy's view or what he stands for (my guess is that individually there are probably alot of people in the front office who share his view), but whether you agree or not, it is a political stance, and it is being taken on their platform which the governing body chooses to maintain as a politically neutral one...

I think the emotion triggered by the surrounding events taking place in Palestine, is clouding what is really at play here regarding Freddy's sanction...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »

I don't think this move by the league has anything to do with a "disproportionate shift in the balance of power to favor the jews since England and the usa decide to start siding with the jews" as you put it, nor does it have anything to do with anyone's view on Freddy's solidarity with Palestine.  I think if Freddy flaunted a shirt with "Israel" on it, he'd receive the same treatment....

I think the idea behind FIFA/UEFA/La liga establishing rules of this sort is to:

1) Make a statement that the field of play is one where religious and political differences are put aside.

2) Disclaim themselves as an organization from any one political affiliation or the other, as a neutral multi-national body.  Sorta like how TV stations disclaim the views of callers on live talk shows...(whereas you can't really control callers on a live show), you can set rules for players plying their trade under your governing body. I think it's totally fair and reasonable.

I don't think UEFA/La liga per se has an objection to Freddy's view or what he stands for (my guess is that individually there are probably alot of people in the front office who share his view), but whether you agree or not, it is a political stance, and it is being taken on their platform which the governing body chooses to maintain as a politically neutral one...

I think the emotion triggered by the surrounding events taking place in Palestine, is clouding what is really at play here regarding Freddy's sanction...

I am looking at it from a broader view than just that of UEFA/La Liga and the bottom line is, that no matter how much people claim that sports and politics do not mix, in reality there are always going to be crossroads where the two meet.  Freddie is defying whatever constraints are being placed on him as a footballer to express his sentiment, whether it be a political stand, a personal view or a sympathetic gesture.  Many people are going to have opinions on his stand, his action and even his actual sentiments, whether that be for or against.  Likewise, people are going to have an opinion on the israeli-Palestinian situation as well, be it in favour of one side or another or neither.  The shift in the balance of power that I refereed to had nothing to do with sport, Kicker.  Not as I see it. 

Oh my bad... silly me for seeing you mention Muhammad Ali's situation and Freddy Kanoute's situation in the same breath Gand thinking that yuh was making ah comparison between both ah dem situation.  Given your intellectual deficits, you calling me ah "educated fool" can only be construed as a compliment.

Construe it how you want, it's the truth.  I would gladly take my intellectual deficits over being what you are. 

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »

Kanoute on the other hand from all appearances isn't personally affected by the situation in Palestine,

Believe me, it is personal to every muslim who practices his religion.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 11:03:05 PM »
      Construe it how you want, it's the truth.  I would gladly take my intellectual deficits over being what you are. 

In your wildest of dreams you couldn't be what I am fella... you still have some evolving to do.

How is Kanoute personally affected the the situation in Gaza?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »

In your wildest of dreams you couldn't be what I am fella... you still have some evolving to do.

How is Kanoute personally affected the the situation in Gaza?

:sleepy:  I have news for you, bredda:  Contrary to how grand or important you may think you are, no one is spending their time aspiring to be the asshole that you are, no matter how wild the dream or how much evolution you may think it takes.  I actually know people on death row that would absolutely refuse to trade places with you if given a chance.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:03:54 AM by Mango Chow! »

truetrini

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 11:59:07 PM »
ah man is ah man...so if brudda man feel de need too so be it, nobody forcin him n it en hurtin no one

that's not necessarily true. he should keep those beliefs away from sport, especially in Europe where antisemitism is a real problem and on the rise. he is a public figure and a de facto role model, and there are youths who will feel violent acts against Spain's jews are more legit when someone like Fredi wears a shirt that reads Palestine without clarifying his exact position on the affair.

A spanish player wearing a shirt with a swastika could just be showing his beliefs, and without saying a word he is not directly hurting anyone. But there is a danger in that it gives the far right a public voice, a legitimate 'spokesperson' and for the real yahoos..just a lil more brass to go out and do something stupid. Fredi's actions could feel the same way to some jews in Europe

i dont think anti-semitism is a problem in europe. what is described as anti-semitism is usually anti-israeli sentiment.

If Kanoute is against hundreds of innocents being bombed he is entitled to have his say. Thats not comparable to wearing a swastika

THER IS NO SEPARATION OF ISRAEL FROM SEMITISM..NONE!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
   :sleepy:  I have news for you, bredda:  Contrary to how grand or important you may think you are, no one is spending their time aspiring to be the asshole that you are, no matter how wild the dream or how much evolution you may think it takes.  I actually know people on death row that would absolutely refuse to trade places with you if given a chance.

You have me pegged wrong fella... I am neither 'grand' nor 'important'... and I'm certainly not anywhere the asshole you are.  I'm happy for you that you have personal experience with yuh fellas behind bars, I'm sure you spent nuff time working with them on your asshole skills.  Good for you.

Your fifteen minutes of fame is up... time to move on.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2009, 02:05:46 AM »
Mango, there are those on this forum who does put so much "spin" on things that they would actually make a Carousel think that it standing still  ;D
AND they also believe what they are typing :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2009, 04:49:26 AM »

i dont think anti-semitism is a problem in europe.

French Jewish cemetery attacked

Rabbi stabbed at Paris synagogue

New attack on Paris synagogue

Anti-Semitism has been a problem in Europe for millennia. In fact, if it hadn't been for European Anti-Semitism then the modern state of Israel would never have been established in the first place.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2009, 05:09:37 AM »

Anti-Semitism has been a problem in Europe for millennia. In fact, if it hadn't been for European Anti-Semitism then the modern state of Israel would never have been established in the first place.
zeppo allyuh like thing eh...i thought de thread was dying, now you come wid dis ;)
dis could be turn into a 4/5-pager of entertainment of de highest order...and we getting ah two-for-one deal too, politics and religion combined!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2009, 05:25:45 AM »

Was waiting for someone to ask this.

Although there's a difference it's a good question.... though I don't recall Kaka flashing his jesus jersey week in week out after scoring.  I remember him pulling it out after WC '02. and I've seen pics of him with it on... but never seen it as part of his Milan celebration. 

Anyway, regarding the rule you quoted that prohibits players from "revealing messages of a religious or political nature on the pitch", is that a rule for the Spanish league or all of FIFA?

If so, I also wonder whether it was applied to Juventus defender Nicola Legrottaglie when he displayed his Jesus t-shirt after scoring during a recent game.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/593/juventus/2008/12/24/1026675/legrottaglie-jesus-changed-me
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:28:56 AM by Zeppo »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2009, 05:30:41 AM »

There will always be some examples of anti-semitism, just as there are examples of every form of bigotry. IMO, while I agre that things can always be improved the situation now is incomparable to the situation at the time when Israel was formed.

Also, the current situation is largely fueled by unfair reprisal attacks on Jews due to Israel's attitude towards Palestine.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2009, 05:31:51 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7822656.stm

UK Jews demand Israeli ceasefire  

Feelings ran high at a pro-Palestinian rally in London and arrests were made 
A number of prominent British Jews have written an open letter calling on the Israeli government to halt its military operations in Gaza immediately.

The letter, published in the Observer, warns the military action, far from improving security, will strengthen extremism and destabilise the region.

The signatories, who declare themselves "passionate supporters of Israel", include several rabbis.

The first major rally in support of Israel in the UK will take place later.

Prominent rabbis, academics and political figures supported the open letter, including Rabbi Dr Tony Bayfield, head of the Movement for Reform Judaism; Sir Jeremy Beecham, former chairman of the Labour party; Professor Shalom Lappin of the University of London and Baroness Julia Neuberger.

Pro-Israeli rally

They write: "We look upon the increasing loss of life on both sides of the Gaza conflict with horror.

"We have no doubt that rocket attacks into southern Israel, by Hamas and other militant Palestinian groups, are war crimes against Israel.

"No sovereign state should, or would, tolerate continued attacks and the deliberate targeting of civilians. 
Israel has warned its may intensify its two-week-old offensive

"Israel had a right to respond and we support the Israeli government's decision to make stopping the rocket attacks an urgent priority.

"However, we believe that now only negotiations can secure long-term security for Israel and the region."

Earlier Jewish officials reacted angrily after a hoax e-mail claimed a rally planned to take place in London on Sunday had been cancelled.

The event at Trafalgar Square is expected to draw thousands of people - it will be the first major rally organised by the Jewish community in the UK over Israel's offensive against Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip.

The e-mail purported to come from the UK's Jewish communal leadership, the Board of Deputies (BoD).

A rally is also being held in Manchester.

'8,000 rockets'

BoD chief executive John Benjamin said despite support for Israel's position, the events are primarily a call for peace.

He said: "Certainly I think the people who will be there will understand that Israel has felt it necessary to take action to stop the many thousands of rockets that have been launched from Gaza in the last several years.

"We're not just talking about the last two weeks but over the course of years I think there have been something like 8,000 rockets.

"So, there is an understanding of that position but it's not a rally that is either commending exactly what's going on on day by day, or even, as British Jews and British Christians and others who are coming together, making a statement about the military action - it's a call for peace." 
Pro-Palestinian protesters have already been out in force

On Saturday thousands of pro-Palestinian demonstrators marched through London to call for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

The protest started peacefully but there were confrontations as police tried to move demonstrators away from the gates of the Israeli embassy.

Protests also took place in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Belfast, Newcastle and Southampton.

In Gaza three Palestinians have been killed and dozens more injured by new Israeli tank fire and air strikes, according to medical sources.

Reports of the deaths came hours after Israel dropped leaflets warning Gazans to stay away from areas used by Hamas, saying its operation would escalate.

Some 820 Gazans and 13 Israelis have reportedly died in 14 days of fighting.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
ah man is ah man...so if brudda man feel de need too so be it, nobody forcin him n it en hurtin no one

that's not necessarily true. he should keep those beliefs away from sport, especially in Europe where antisemitism is a real problem and on the rise. he is a public figure and a de facto role model, and there are youths who will feel violent acts against Spain's jews are more legit when someone like Fredi wears a shirt that reads Palestine without clarifying his exact position on the affair.

A spanish player wearing a shirt with a swastika could just be showing his beliefs, and without saying a word he is not directly hurting anyone. But there is a danger in that it gives the far right a public voice, a legitimate 'spokesperson' and for the real yahoos..just a lil more brass to go out and do something stupid. Fredi's actions could feel the same way to some jews in Europe

i dont think anti-semitism is a problem in europe. what is described as anti-semitism is usually anti-israeli sentiment.

If Kanoute is against hundreds of innocents being bombed he is entitled to have his say. Thats not comparable to wearing a swastika

Exactly.[/b]

Well then Freddy should wear a shirt showing support for Israel also. They were being bombed everyday and not a fool spoke before. Its amazing how the retards are out in numbers now.

yeah they were bombed and pelted with rocks everyday from an area that has been under seige by the said Israelis for years now.

Which freddy are you guys referring to.....

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2009, 07:36:21 AM »

He is expressing his support for the plight of the Palestinians. Nothing else. Hats off to him. If someone were to read 'anti-semetic' sentiments into his T-Shirt then that person is an idiot.

Wearing a T-shirt with the word Palestine is more of an advertisement of political affiliation than support for anything.  What he did does nothing for the plight of Palestinians.  It won't stop the violence, it doesn't soothe the pain of mourning families, it won't mend any of the ill-feelings between the warring factions, and it doesn't simplify what is a complicated situation in Gazza- all it does is imply a political affiliation which without explanation probably serves more to fuel ill feelings on the other side of the fence, than it does to lend support to anyone.... What if he didn't score? Where would the "support" be?

All Kanoute did was exploit a public forum to advertise a political affiliation in a time and place where it was unnecessary, and could easily be misinterpreted.... 

To each his own of course, and my guess is that his gesture was well-intended, but my view is that there is a time and place for everything and there's no room for that oversimplified partisan political advertisment in football....none.

Well kicker your opinion is yours to keep,but besides wearing a t-shirt he could actively be involved in many other ways to stop the bloodshed we won't know,but I've news for you, politics is involved in all that we do good or bad it influences everything.......   

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2009, 08:25:50 AM »

Filho, you really think I talking about every single living jewish person as being down for their own cause and vice versa?  Come nah man, Jed, I KNOW you smarter than that.

Cool bredda. No scene. Hard to know sometimes on this forum, especially when man get heated. I only asked cuz I too believed you were smarter dan dat.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
How come no one talks about antisemitism when referring to the Arabs?  They are Semitic peoples as well right?

The Jews and Arabs are both descendants of Abraham who was a descendant of Shem (Noah's son), which is where the term Semite or Semitic comes from.  The Jews are the the descendants of Isaac and the Arabs descendants of Ishmael (two sons of Abraham).

Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me or correct me if I wrong.  When did the term Semitic become a term referring exclusively to Jews?

1]; } ?>