March 28, 2024, 06:23:12 AM

Author Topic: Kanoute Palestine Support in the Copa del Rey  (Read 9720 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kanoute Palestine Support in the Copa del Rey
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »
i say do yuh thing freddie.

big up!

Sevilla's French-born Malian international striker Frederic Kanoute displayed a t-shirt with the word "Palestine" in various languages during his side's 2-1 Spanish Cup over Deportivo Coruna in the Copa del Rey / Spanish Cup.

http://digg.com/soccer/Sevilla_s_Freddie_Kanoute_Shows_Support_for_Palestine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrA3rq0H_HA

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kanoute Palestine Support in the Copa del Rey
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:57:53 AM »
I think Freddie should keep his politics to himself, and just play football.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:40:55 AM »
ah man is ah man...so if brudda man feel de need too so be it, nobody forcin him n it en hurtin no one
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:08 AM »
the brother knows that it is an effective way to make his statement.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »
ah man is ah man...so if brudda man feel de need too so be it, nobody forcin him n it en hurtin no one

that's not necessarily true. he should keep those beliefs away from sport, especially in Europe where antisemitism is a real problem and on the rise. he is a public figure and a de facto role model, and there are youths who will feel violent acts against Spain's jews are more legit when someone like Fredi wears a shirt that reads Palestine without clarifying his exact position on the affair.

A spanish player wearing a shirt with a swastika could just be showing his beliefs, and without saying a word he is not directly hurting anyone. But there is a danger in that it gives the far right a public voice, a legitimate 'spokesperson' and for the real yahoos..just a lil more brass to go out and do something stupid. Fredi's actions could feel the same way to some jews in Europe

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:33:24 PM »

that's not necessarily true. he should keep those beliefs away from sport, especially in Europe where antisemitism is a real problem and on the rise. he is a public figure and a de facto role model, and there are youths who will feel violent acts against Spain's jews are more legit when someone like Fredi wears a shirt that reads Palestine without clarifying his exact position on the affair.

A spanish player wearing a shirt with a swastika could just be showing his beliefs, and without saying a word he is not directly hurting anyone. But there is a danger in that it gives the far right a public voice, a legitimate 'spokesperson' and for the real yahoos..just a lil more brass to go out and do something stupid. Fredi's actions could feel the same way to some jews in Europe

i dont think anti-semitism is a problem in europe. what is described as anti-semitism is usually anti-israeli sentiment.

If Kanoute is against hundreds of innocents being bombed he is entitled to have his say. Thats not comparable to wearing a swastika

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »

i dont think anti-semitism is a problem in europe. what is described as anti-semitism is usually anti-israeli sentiment.

If Kanoute is against hundreds of innocents being bombed he is entitled to have his say. Thats not comparable to wearing a swastika

not that I think the issue in Palestine is as simple as innocent people being bombed, but I agree...wearing a swastika is not comparable.....to most sensible people, which is exactly my point..I didn't mean for it to seem like a direct comparison. Notice who I mentioned would misinterpret his shirt..far right idiots and yahoos. and maybe misguided kids. I also think Jews will obviously have a more sensitive point of view on the subject, since they would feel most directly affected.

i also think anti-semitism is a big problem in Europe and on the rise....besides..lots of Europeans will tell you racism is not a big problem in Europe as well.

peace
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:28:39 PM by Filho »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »

He is expressing his support for the plight of the Palestinians. Nothing else. Hats off to him. If someone were to read 'anti-semetic' sentiments into his T-Shirt then that person is an idiot.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 04:22:01 PM »

Exactly.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »

He is expressing his support for the plight of the Palestinians. Nothing else. Hats off to him. If someone were to read 'anti-semetic' sentiments into his T-Shirt then that person is an idiot.

yeah Toppa. seen. dat is my point though. the world is full of idiots and I think Kanoute has a responsibility to not encourage them. I'd rather he held a press conference and spoke his mind and put his feeling into words to make things clear and not something that the yahoos out there could interpret in whatever way makes them feel empowered to be the true idiots they are.

But this is not a forum to really discuss this intelligently. Somthing will always be missing in what we want to say, or at least what i want to say.

So respect to you and Ryan.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »

Exactly.[/b]

Well then Freddy should wear a shirt showing support for Israel also. They were being bombed everyday and not a fool spoke before. Its amazing how the retards are out in numbers now.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
respect man...yuh cant leave it to the UN
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline LondonTrini LFC

• El mejor...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Rafa is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 04:40:08 PM »
Shut up Sven...

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 06:58:48 PM »

Exactly.[/b]

Well then Freddy should wear a shirt showing support for Israel also. They were being bombed everyday and not a fool spoke before. Its amazing how the retards are out in numbers now.

yeah they were bombed and pelted with rocks everyday from an area that has been under seige by the said Israelis for years now.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »
Kanoute can do what he pleases, ONCE it not in sighting a riot.
 Remember 1968 Olympics when US track and field stars protest black inequality by raising a black gloved fist.
If someone dictating when you eat,get water, bath, have electricity for years, and you have rockets, you'll fire the shit at them. Hamas won a democratic election and because US and Israel don't like it, so they blockade Gaza.
If US staving your family and say NO Carnival in 2009 in Trinidad you'll do the same. The bling bling we all buy in the Big Apple, the Israeli get them South Africa back in the days of apartheid and today in the Congo,and the rest of Africa.

Happy New Year fellas.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »

Wearing a T-shirt with the word Palestine is more of an advertisement of political affiliation than support for anything.  What he did does nothing for the plight of Palestinians.  It won't stop the violence, it doesn't soothe the pain of mourning families, it won't mend any of the ill-feelings between the warring factions, and it doesn't simplify what is a complicated situation in Gazza- all it does is imply a political affiliation which without explanation probably serves more to fuel ill feelings on the other side of the fence, than it does to lend support to anyone.... What if he didn't score? Where would the "support" be?

All Kanoute did was exploit a public forum to advertise a political affiliation in a time and place where it was unnecessary, and could easily be misinterpreted.... 

To each his own of course, and my guess is that his gesture was well-intended, but my view is that there is a time and place for everything and there's no room for that oversimplified partisan political advertisment in football....none.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »

Wearing a T-shirt with the word Palestine is more of an advertisement of political affiliation than support for anything.  What he did does nothing for the plight of Palestinians.  It won't stop the violence,....

is there really a difference between expressing political solidarity and showing support?

Speaking out on the matter has to be considered an action in itself.  Only a handful of people have the ability to have their actions directly influence the the ebb and flow of the violence and it's side-effects so I don't know if that's really a good criterion for 'supporting'.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »

Wearing a T-shirt with the word Palestine is more of an advertisement of political affiliation than support for anything.  What he did does nothing for the plight of Palestinians.  It won't stop the violence,....

is there really a difference between expressing political solidarity and showing support?

Speaking out on the matter has to be considered an action in itself.  Only a handful of people have the ability to have their actions directly influence the the ebb and flow of the violence and it's side-effects so I don't know if that's really a good criterion for 'supporting'.

yeah I agree it's his way of showing support, and of course he's relatively powerless to real tangible support (I was just making a point).....because to me at the end of the day, while I recognize his gesture was most likely well intended, my point was that what he may have effectively done more of, is fuel ill feelings on the other side of the fence by what is effectively nothing more than a political advertisement....rather than a rendering of any real support.

end of day I don't think it's a huge deal, I just prefer to see football free of politics- what if Yossi Benayoun was on the other side of the half-line? what would that say about Freddie's sportsmanship?.....my point: leave the divides of race, religion and politics off the field- the only divide is the the line in the middle and the only colour is that of your uniform....in spite of that, I can understand why some are cool with it...what I don't understand is how it's impossible for those who agree with his gesture to see the flip side.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 09:32:14 PM by kicker »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 09:51:54 PM »

Wearing a T-shirt with the word Palestine is more of an advertisement of political affiliation than support for anything.  What he did does nothing for the plight of Palestinians.  It won't stop the violence, it doesn't soothe the pain of mourning families, it won't mend any of the ill-feelings between the warring factions, and it doesn't simplify what is a complicated situation in Gazza- all it does is imply a political affiliation which without explanation probably serves more to fuel ill feelings on the other side of the fence, than it does to lend support to anyone.... What if he didn't score? Where would the "support" be?

All Kanoute did was exploit a public forum to advertise a political affiliation in a time and place where it was unnecessary, and could easily be misinterpreted.... 

To each his own of course, and my guess is that his gesture was well-intended, but my view is that there is a time and place for everything and there's no room for that oversimplified partisan political advertisment in football....none.

Oh puh-lease. If during the Rwanda genocide a footballer had the words Rwanda written on his T-shirt would that have been a show of political affiliation? Or would it have been a means of highlighting what was going on there?

If he had the word Hamas written on his shirt then that would have been a show of political affiliation.

The man is just trying to draw attention to the massacre of the Palestinians. I applaud him.

F*ck politics. People dying.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 09:54:22 PM by Toppa »
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 10:17:08 PM »

Oh puh-lease. If during the Rwanda genocide a footballer had the words Rwanda written on his T-shirt would that have been a show of political affiliation? Or would it have been a means of highlighting what was going on there?

If he had the word Hamas written on his shirt then that would have been a show of political affiliation.

The man is just trying to draw attention to the massacre of the Palestinians. I applaud him.

...and I applaud you.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 06:36:51 AM »

...and I applaud you.

Noone disagrees that Fredi should show support. Noone disagrees that everyone should be aware of what is going on in Palestine. Some of just disagree on how he chose to show it. Lewwe doh argue about a serious and complicated topic like that on a football forum nah. Truss meh, the misunderstanding done already start and we will just end up feeling like we on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. Watch how one word on a t-shirt could fuel about 10 pages of heated discussion between educated people...and it go get heated and everyone will soon forget what the initial differences were. It go end up being who 'for' Palestine, and who 'for' Israel. Watch and see. I eh worried about kicker ad Toppa tho' ..dem does butt heads regular than kiss and make up when Real Madrid win on de weekend. Altho' the way Barca playing dey mite be under a lil stress :devil: But seriously, I think the discussion really is..should he have worn that t-shirt at a football game and what was the desired effect and could there be unwanted consequences.  At least let us stick to football and talk Palestine and Israel on the general topics board.

Just ah humble suggestion.

Cheers to all
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:50:59 AM by Filho »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:57 AM »
Like Bolt's chest beating  ..what may have been a simple action , can be interpreted by others n many other more complex ways. I dont think football wants to get sucked in to that family feud that has gone on since Ishmael was sidelined by Issac.
The UN are having trouble resolving the situation and an all out war could result soon ...it will come eventually though ..and the best we can hope for now is that it does not come now.
Sport has walked the thin line before and we have seen instances where politics have sidelined the Olympic competition ....we want to go South Africa to see T&T and the World Cup ...not to be bombarded by propanganda statements !
If kanoute's action goes unpunished , the ball would not be the only thing that will be kicked around. Could you imagine if jews start walking with T shirts  marked Israel  and palestinians the same,, to football games all over the world ? You could forget taking your wife and children to any game anywhere !!
No freddy ..ill advised and Spain must tell yolu that ...just like the did at the olympics with bolt...
We dont want that here !!!!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 08:31:39 AM »

puuuuuuuuuuuh-leeeeeeeeeease  ;D  What's going on in Gaza and genocide in Rwanda are quite different... Even so, like I say leave politics off the field.  In the case of Rwanda, I'd say the same... To me it's not about the cause, it's about the platform...The football field is not a political platform, nor is it a platform for anything else other than football- that's my overarching point...sorry if you can't see it.

See? right there- there will be differences in interpretation....

If yuh had a clue what you were talking about you'd know that what is going on is alot more complex than a "massacre of Palestinians"... but as Filho said, this ain't the message board for this topic....

I understand your point... I think mine is as easily understandable... what does that say about your level of understanding?  :devil:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:33:21 AM by kicker »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »

puuuuuuuuuuuh-leeeeeeeeeease  ;D  What's going on in Gaza and genocide in Rwanda are quite different... Even so, like I say leave politics off the field.  In the case of Rwanda, I'd say the same... To me it's not about the cause, it's about the platform...The football field is not a political platform, nor is it a platform for anything else other than football- that's my overarching point...sorry if you can't see it.

See? right there- there will be differences in interpretation....

If yuh had a clue what you were talking about you'd know that what is going on is alot more complex than a "massacre of Palestinians"... but as Filho said, this ain't the message board for this topic....

I understand your point... I think mine is as easily understandable... what does that say about your level of understanding?  :devil:

Understanding and rejecting.

But as Filho asked, I'd gladly end the discussion before it gets into a whole Palestine v Israel because that's where it'll head.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »
Symbolism need not be accompanied by an explanation. It has never required substantiation, and never will ... hence the notion.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »
Well he was fined by the Committee but a lot of fans lauded the gesture.

The Palentinian embassy in Spain sent their thanks and the Israeli embassy saw nothing wrong with it, saying it would not incite violence.

So there!
www.westindiantube.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »

The Palentinian embassy in Spain sent their thanks and the Israeli embassy saw nothing wrong with it, saying it would not incite violence.

So there!

Of course the Palestinian embassy would say thanks...and of course the Israeli embassy would remain diplomatic...

And as expected he was fined, not for his gesture... but for the point being made all along- wrong platform!! There's even a rule against- that I didn't even know of before:

According to goal.com:

"The Malian striker lifted his top to reveal a t-shirt with the word Palestine across the front, as well as words in Arabic, and has been found worthy of a punishment under article 120.The rule prohibits players from revealing messages of a religious or political nature on the pitch, and hence Kanouté has been fined €3,000, according to AS."

According to you Kanoute's gesture had nothing to do with politics though right?   :heehee:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:17:15 PM by kicker »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »

So there!

Of course the Palestinian embassy would say thanks...and of course the Israeli embassy would remain diplomatic...

And as expected he was fined, not for his gesture... but for the point being made all along- wrong platform!! There's even a rule against- that I didn't even know of before:

According to goal.com:

"The Malian striker lifted his top to reveal a t-shirt with the word Palestine across the front, as well as words in Arabic, and has been found worthy of a punishment under article 120.The rule prohibits players from revealing messages of a religious or political nature on the pitch, and hence Kanouté has been fined €3,000, according to AS."

According to you Kanoute's gesture had nothing to do with politics though right?   :heehee:

No, I said f*ck politics. I also said that he did it because of the humanitian crisis right now, not because of any political affiliation. While the politicians squabble and dilly dally people dying.

Anyway, if you want to continue arguing, do it with yourself or someone else.

Big up Kanoute.

www.westindiantube.com

1]; } ?>