April 28, 2024, 11:47:19 AM

Author Topic: Brighton boss wary over signing Birchall  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brighton boss wary over signing Birchall
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:40:17 AM »
Adams wary over signing World Cup midfielder
By Andy Naylor (The Argus)

Albion's interest in signing trialist Chris Birchall has been clouded by a potential club versus country clash.

Boss Micky Adams is keen to land the 24-year-old midfielder but is also wary of his international commitments with Trinidad and Tobago.

It could cool the Seagulls’ interest in Birchall as they digest losing out to League One rivals Carlisle in their bid to re-sign loan winger Joe Anyinsah from Preston permanently.

Albion had agreed a free transfer with Preston but the Championship club have now agreed an undisclosed fee with Carlisle, where Anyinsah was also on loan two years ago, and he is heading to Brunton Park instead.

Birchall is likely to be involved with Trinidad and Tobago in World Cup qualifiers away to El Salvador in February, at home to Honduras in March and in the USA in April.

Adams experienced the negative impact of the club v country conflict with Birchall after buying him for Coventry from Port Vale three years ago.

“What you have got to remember about the Trinidad and Tobago boys is that they play international football at weird times,” Adams said.

“When they go away and come back they are often jet-lagged. Chris at that time was back and forward from Trinidad to England and that really affects your body clock, so there were times when he didn’t start games.

“That has to come into the equation. It's no use signing somebody for the second half of the season and him being away three times. I don't see the benefit of that but he's an honest, hard-working player.

"I think any team would welcome him at this level. I bought him, I know what he is like, I know what he is capable of, I know what character he is. It didn't work out at Coventry for him after I left."

Birchall has been lined up by Adams to play in next Tuesday's rearranged reserve team game against Reading at Lancing (7pm).

Meanwhile, Adams has played down Albion's interest in Southampton's former Plymouth captain and midfielder Paul Wotton.

"Paul is not training with us at the moment," he said. "He's had a calf injury and there is a doubt about his level of fitness.

"That is not a definite thing anyway, he was coming in here to train."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brighton boss wary over signing Birchall
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:54:04 AM »
mama...eh...Keep going Birch....something will give soon
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:57:25 AM »
Adams is a facking clown too... Didnt he deal with the club vs country isuue,  when stern was under his charge  ???
STEUPESSSSSSSSS
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:43:20 AM »

“What you have got to remember about the Trinidad and Tobago boys is that they play international football at weird times,” Adams said.

What assness this man talking, we only play friendlies with Birchall on FIFA match dates. As far as I know all countries play on those dates..... buchacrap

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:48:08 AM »
Steups....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »
wanted: looking for players of international quality...but who don't actually play internationals

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:02:16 AM »
Translation.  Managers will readily sign International players who they believe will give them a real chance to win.

Average, decent, hard working, good character players are not normally international players so why sign them for the 2nd half of the season when they won't be available (or he won't pick them) each time they come back from international duty?

Contrast Birchy with somebody like Stern or Carlos....who add much more value to their respective clubs in the "helping us to win" department.

At the end of the day, Birchall is more essential to his country (T&T) than he is ever likely to be for his club.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:14:49 AM »
Translation.  Managers will readily sign International players who they believe will give them a real chance to win.

Average, decent, hard working, good character players are not normally international players so why sign them for the 2nd half of the season when they won't be available (or he won't pick them) each time they come back from international duty?

Contrast Birchy with somebody like Stern or Carlos....who add much more value to their respective clubs in the "helping us to win" department.

At the end of the day, Birchall is more essential to his country (T&T) than he is ever likely to be for his club.

I doh understand how dis man stock drop so

is JUST de odder day de man leave port vale and the he was wearin shades for the future...he young and he doh lapse on de pitch..when this tailspin start to happen?? de man fightin for ah wukk like sancho now?
Some one ah dem gyal from Zen put some blight in he rice or wha?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:19:03 AM »

I doh understand how dis man stock drop so

is JUST de odder day de man leave port vale and the he was wearin shades for the future...he young and he doh lapse on de pitch..when this tailspin start to happen?? de man fightin for ah wukk like sancho now?
Some one ah dem gyal from Zen put some blight in he rice or wha?
Players like him a dime a dozen over there. He important to us because we lacking in hustle. Also, I don't know if he's recognized as a defensive mid in England or if he's still viewed as a right winger.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:20:34 AM by Gillie Face »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
wanted: looking for players of international quality...but who don't actually play internationals

lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »
Steupssssssssssssssssss hang in there Chris.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 10:44:36 PM »
All Chris have to do is buss the neat for we a couple more times again and thing go be fix for him.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

1]; } ?>