April 28, 2024, 07:15:57 PM

Author Topic: Record 1,424 matches played in 2008 –FIFA .  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Record 1,424 matches played in 2008 –FIFA .
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
Record 1,424 matches played in 2008 –FIFA
By Everest Onyewuchi

A record 1,424 international matches were played all over the world last year, according to a release from the world soccer governing body, FIFA.

In an e-mail sent to our correspondent on Friday, FIFA said that a total of 1,060 grade A men‘s games were played, while women played 364 matches.

Once again, a new record was set for international matches in 2008, with 1,060 meetings in the men‘s game and 364 in the women‘s. Indeed, the men‘s total fell just short of the record of 1,065 matches set in 2004.

These impressive figures were boosted both by the start of the qualifying matches for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa around the world (425 matches) and also the many friendly matches played by the men‘s (533) and women‘s teams (192), FIFA said.

It said that the worldwide spread of the fixtures was encouraging: of the 208 FIFA member associations, 196 teams played at least one international in men‘s football last year, more than ever before, while in the women‘s game, 94 teams played at least one match.

The USA women‘s team played the most matches last year (36), followed by China PR (29) and Canada (24).

In the men‘s game, Trinidad & Tobago were the busiest team (28 matches), followed by Qatar (24) and Oman (23). The average number of matches per team outstripped the previous-year total, with 10.8 in men‘s football and 7.7 in women‘s.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Record 1,424 matches played in 2008 –FIFA .
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »
In the men‘s game, Trinidad & Tobago were the busiest team (28 matches), followed by Qatar (24) and Oman (23). The average number of matches per team outstripped the previous-year total, with 10.8 in men‘s football and 7.7 in women‘s.

Yah don't say ... :notlistening:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »

D amt ah time we play Guyana me not shock or surprise.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

we play them so much yuh soundin like one  :P
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 07:27:20 AM »
Why do I have 30?

http://caribbeanfootballdatabase.com/trinidadandtobago/results.html

I am wondering if the game against Dom Rep was considered a full international.  I almost sure the one of the games against Guyana was not considered a fulll international.  I think that game was played on the AB training field as a practice game for both teams.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Bamboo Prince

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »
i real surprised to hear dat seein it was ah olympic year too...real corbeaux sweat take place in de dark!  :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
Not countin d practice match we play dem bout 3 times.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »

...and the Guyana link only showing two games against T&T.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »

Dat include d digicup?

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:38:44 PM »

Dat include d digicup?

Yep

Offline LondonTrini LFC

• El mejor...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Rafa is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Shut up Sven...

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
Why do I have 30?

http://caribbeanfootballdatabase.com/trinidadandtobago/results.html

I am wondering if the game against Dom Rep was considered a full international.  I almost sure the one of the games against Guyana was not considered a fulll international.  I think that game was played on the AB training field as a practice game for both teams.

the list has a game against Guadeloupe which I don't think would count.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »
If we are to go with the FIFA website it says that the first Guyana match was not official (T&T used 7 subs and only 6 are allowed in friendlies) and the Guadeloupe match was not official.  This makes me wonder if it is possible to get a cap against Guadeloupe, even in something like the Gold Cup semi-final.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »
If we are to go with the FIFA website it says that the first Guyana match was not official (T&T used 7 subs and only 6 are allowed in friendlies) and the Guadeloupe match was not official.  This makes me wonder if it is possible to get a cap against Guadeloupe, even in something like the Gold Cup semi-final.

during the Digicel Cup we played under Wim, our game against Martinique didn't even show up on the fifa site whereas all the other games on that day as well as all our other games.  Neither did that game get counted in our ranking.  So I would guess not in the eyes of FIFA.

seems appropriate since the players from Martinique and Guadeloupe retain their eligibility to represent France.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 02:03:48 AM »

during the Digicel Cup we played under Wim, our game against Martinique didn't even show up on the fifa site whereas all the other games on that day as well as all our other games.  Neither did that game get counted in our ranking.  So I would guess not in the eyes of FIFA.

seems appropriate since the players from Martinique and Guadeloupe retain their eligibility to represent France.
They not showing up on the site doesn't surprise me, but the not getting counted in the ranking does.  Of course official caps don't have any real bearing on anything but statistics.  I read that if Guadeloupe had won the Gold Cup and thus technically made it to the Confederations Cup, the loser would have gone anyway.  Honestly, its somewhat rediculous that if someone were to make their debut in the Gold Cup Final and they were playing Guadeloupe and they scored in that game it would be as if they had never actually played internationally.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »

They not showing up on the site doesn't surprise me, but the not getting counted in the ranking does.  Of course official caps don't have any real bearing on anything but statistics.  I read that if Guadeloupe had won the Gold Cup and thus technically made it to the Confederations Cup, the loser would have gone anyway.  Honestly, its somewhat rediculous that if someone were to make their debut in the Gold Cup Final and they were playing Guadeloupe and they scored in that game it would be as if they had never actually played internationally.

They're not listed as official games, hence they can't be counted in the ranking. For all intents and purposes, it come like France playing a Catalan 11...

And yes...it would be like if they never played internationally. Same goes for the men who represent their island nuff times and never make France A team...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>