April 25, 2024, 11:21:22 AM

Author Topic: Maturana meets 'Magician'  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Maturana meets 'Magician'
« on: January 11, 2009, 06:41:16 AM »
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Latapy joins staff tomorrow

Trinidad and Tobago national football team head coach Francisco Maturana and his assistant Russell Latapy will have their first meeting as co-employees tomorrow in the Technical Development Office at the Kantac Plaza, Arouca.

The get-together is set to be chaired by team manager David Muhammad and will be followed by a fitness test for the national squad from 4 p.m. at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva. The media is not invited to tomorrow's work-out, according to press officer Shaun Fuentes, although they are free to observe the team's sessions from Tuesday.

The "Soca Warriors" travel to Argentina on January 21 for a live-in camp designed primarily to maintain the condition of the Pro League and United States-based players, whose respective leagues closed late last year, before their 2010 World Cup qualifier away to El Salvador on February 11. But it is arguably just as important that Maturana and Latapy have an extended period to get better acquainted as fellow coaches.

Latapy was named as player/ assistant coach when he ended his international retirement to join the Warriors last October but he found that his terms of reference changed when he landed in Piarco. At the time, Maturana made it clear that he was happy with his present technical staff and did not want another coach.

"This is my staff here," Maturana told the Express, as he gestured towards his co-workers including assistant coach Anton Corneal. "I want to see Latapy on the field."

Three months later, it appears that the two-time Colombia World Cup coach has little choice in the matter.

FIFA vice-president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) special adviser Jack Warner said, on December 27, 2008, that Latapy's role "would not be cosmetic" and "he will have a very authoritative role in the team".

Corneal will not travel to Argentina with the senior team and remains in Trinidad to command the national under-17 team. The TTFF are yet to say whether Latapy's inclusion might make Corneal's reassignment permanent.

Maturana, who worked alongside Corneal's dad, Alvin Corneal, on the FIFA technical committee before he moved to Trinidad last February, is unlikely to be impressed by his assistant's absence.

The Colombian might also be interested in an explanation from Latapy regarding his remarks on the present senior team.

"I think that in the last round, anybody who saw the team would have seen we had a lot of talent," Latapy told the TTFF last month, "but I think there was a lack of organization and cohesiveness in the team... We have to do our homework and know what the other team's strengths and weaknesses (are) but at the same time we have to know what are our own strengths and weaknesses and build on it."

Whatever the merits of Latapy's assessment, Maturana might feel uneasy about his supposed deputy being publicly critical about his squad.

There has been much rumour about Latapy replacing Maturana at the technical helm since the "Little Magician" returned to the fold last October. But, unless Latapy's promotion is calculated to provoke a resignation letter from the head coach, it seems that the pair must plot Trinidad and Tobago's World Cup qualifying success together. Tomorrow's meeting represents the first step.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana meets 'Magician'
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »
Ah!!!  Oh yes the drama goes on
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago national football team head coach Francisco Maturana and his assistant Russell Latapy will have their first meeting as co-employees tomorrow in the Technical Development Office at the Kantac Plaza, Arouca.
That is the rub. Lets see if the arrogant dentist is a man or mouse. All the horse talk he had before lets see if he is man enuff to ride out.(pun intended)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:44:56 AM by Tallman »

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:43:59 AM »

Corneal will not travel to Argentina with the senior team and remains in Trinidad to command the national under-17 team. The TTFF are yet to say whether Latapy's inclusion might make Corneal's reassignment permanent.

Well Corneal, you fight and fight to get rid off Wim and his staff? Hold the faith! lol 

My assumption is that the TTFF will eventually fire Maturana during the World Cup final round of qualifiers (more so if there are any more coaching blunders) and give Latapy the head coach position.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »

Well Corneal, you fight and fight to get rid off Wim and his staff? Hold the faith! lol 

My assumption is that the TTFF will eventually fire Maturana during the World Cup final round of qualifiers (more so if there are any more coaching blunders) and give Latapy the head coach position.

Kingman

I willing to even go as far to say after a first defeat/draw
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »
My take on this....I know alot  want Maturana to leave and that understandable...but i hope Lata and Maturana could put one head together so the local whoever they may be and the oversea player....play at a very high international standard to meet the challenges they face ahead come February...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »
so whos the translator? :o

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »

don't speak either language but with a little effort, the Portuguese latas knows should help him deal with spanish effectively enough...........um I hope, those two languages don't "seem" to far apart
I pity the fool....

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »
My view is that Maturana should not stay their and wait for them to fire him,the writing is on the wall,no Coach of that stature should subject themselves to that kind of treatment,i could understand Anton hanging in there what else he going to do.

I don't feel Latas and Mats could work together judging from what Latas said,for Latas to be effective he has to stamp his authority on the players and they both have different views on the directions T&T Football should take.

What's happening here is going to make an already chaotic situation even worst unless it's made clear to all parties concerned who is in charge/who calls the shots/who has the final say,the Football Federation have to let the Technical staff do it's job and just take care of manageing all affairs outside of the game itself,as we stand all it's going to take is for us to lose just one game for fingers to start pointing and the usual name calling.

Like everything else organisation is the key,we have to put our house in order before the hex starts,we should know by now who our core players going to be and concentrate on those players.  

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »

don't speak either language but with a little effort, the Portuguese latas knows should help him deal with spanish effectively enough...........um I hope, those two languages don't "seem" to far apart

Correct, dey very close, ah had ah encounter wid a Brazilian ting overseas one time, we communicated easily wid she speakin portuguese and me speaking spanish, in de convo she tell meh she know FF and Ben eye  :rotfl: aye, is a kix ah gehin doh geh no horrors
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »
ah hope de colombian take in de advice from latapy. ;D
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »
"This is my staff here," Maturana told the Express, as he gestured towards his co-workers including assistant coach Anton Corneal. "I want to see Latapy on the field."

Leh we make it clear Mr. crapo, you have no staff! Loose de frist game and I will bet my whole pay check, you would see him in your position not on de field.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:39:25 PM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
Jack warner could make this very simple, but being the tunnel vision dunce that he is, drama is allways the first option. stuueepppssss.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »
So Fuentes what happen in d meetin?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »
So who giving us an account of the meeting? And ah don't want Fuentes version! Ah waiting for all the gossip and more
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »
Be careful what you ask for........
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 09:24:32 PM »
This wasn't in Sunday's paper?  So the meeting is yet to be held?  eh eh

steups

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »

Kingman

Kingman with all due respect I hope your assumption don't play out. The reason is simple, for them to fire Maturana during the qualifiers means that the team (our team) would not be doing well and that is something I would not want nor wish for despite what I feel for the coach. I am sure you would agree...I want us to win our games and for once show the type of calibre and potential we are capable of.

Latas will get his chance in due course, and his statement criticising the team was IMO coming from the player in him point of view, as he is now on board officially I believe he would be more intune to the coach's plan, format, expectations and role of players, as well as the complete vision the head coach has for the team. If after a couple months Latas still shares this type of view then I would have to look at the edvidence in detail and hopefully not by the style nor results of the team.

I wish the team good luck and I truly hope we could win all our games, let the chips fall where they may.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »
BEST CASE SCENARIO!!

We win all our games & qualify for World Cup with a game in hand!

We go to South Africa in 2010 with BIG expectations with Maturana in charge & Latas as assistant!

We get pass first round but sack Maturana after World Cup for not getting us pass the second round and fulfilling our World Cup expectations!

Latas takes over as head coach with Dwight as his assistant and they take us to the next World Cup in 2016!

T&T makes history in becoming the first Caribbean nation "The Warrior Nation" to go to 3 World Cups in a row!

The Soca Warriors become a hit brand and respected world power in football and blank games with likes of USA & Mexico in preference for games with the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France & Italy! We even start blanking England asking them when last have you won a World Cup?  ;)

Folks start complaining that T&T needs to be placed in a stronger region as we regularly win by 3 or  4 goal margins against the likes of Jamaica, Mexico & USA in competitive games that mean something!!
In friendlies we only beat them by 1 or 2 goals and sometimes even lose or draw because we always use our under-21 teams in those unimportant fete matches!! ;D

I have a dream, I have a dream... and Obama is soon to be the first black president of the USA so doh believe my dream is impossible!!  :mackdaddy:

Also I almost forgot, Maturana gets hired by Jamaica to try to take them to World Cup in 2016 with Barnes as his assistant! They find out the hard way that it was really Latas & York doing the coaching & they should of left Barnes in charge as he is half-Trini!  ;D

You guys can add anything else I may have overlooked that is bound to come true once we get our act together!! :angel:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:15:19 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
how common is it for the head coach not to choose his assistants?

1]; } ?>