April 25, 2024, 12:26:39 AM

Author Topic: Disscuss: Zidane tops Gerrard as Worlds best....  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
Disscuss: Zidane tops Gerrard as Worlds best....
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=627484&cc=5901

..and gives just dues to Claude Makalele and what his presence did for Real Madrid during his tenure.

Zidane names Gerrard as best player in the world

March 13, 2009
Comment
 Email
 Print
 Zinedine Zidane believes Steven Gerrard is the best player in the world.

The legendary former Real Madrid playmaker saw his old club dismantled by Gerrard's Liverpool on Tuesday night, when the Reds ran out 4-0 winners at Anfield, 5-0 on aggregate.

England's midfield star scored two of the goals and ahead of tomorrow's crucial trip to Old Trafford, Zidane has claimed he is a better all-round player than Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo, the current holder of the Ballon d'Or.

"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of (Lionel) Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be,'' the former France captain said.

"If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team.

"When we were winning league titles and European Cups at Real, I always said Claude Makelele was our most important player.

"There is no way myself, (Luis) Figo or Raul would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard.''

Zidane added: "He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief.

"You can't learn that - players like him are just born with that presence.''
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline TRUwarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Disscuss: Zidane tops Gerrard as Worlds best....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
gerrard ...maybe, Makalele in dem days...yea :beermug:

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:36:59 AM »
Agreed !!!!!!!!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:07:44 AM »
Gerrard is rel tears, boy. I doh think he gets the recognition he dersrves.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »

i totally endorse this!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »

I think he's highly regarded by many as the best English player in the game today... It's commonly accepted that he is the heart & soul of Liverpool....and I think there has been talk of Madrid & Barca being interested in him at different points along the way-  That sounds like apt recognition to me.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:07:12 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »

I think he's highly regarded by many as the best English player in the game today... It's commonly accepted that he is the heart & sould of Liverpool....and I think there has been talk of Madrid & Barca being interested in him at different points along the way-  That sounds like apt recognition to me.

Recognition maybe from "those in the know"... I think the reference was made in regards to the average fan... as is usually the case.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »

I think he's highly regarded by many as the best English player in the game today... It's commonly accepted that he is the heart & soul of Liverpool....and I think there has been talk of Madrid & Barca being interested in him at different points along the way-  That sounds like apt recognition to me.

Recognition maybe from "those in the know"... I think the reference was made in regards to the average fan... as is usually the case.

Yeah I suppose the "average" fan is more likely to recognize the spectacular... and while Gerrard is a very good player, other than some memorable long range efforts it's tough to describe his game as spectacular....It's more solid, consistent & workmanlike...not the kinda game that would get you the Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Messi type of recognition from the average fan I suppose. 

When it comes to Liverpool, I think Javier Mascherano is relatively more underappreciated than S. Gerrard though...even to the average fan. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:14:45 AM by kicker »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 11:48:35 AM »
 ::)

Zidane has now joined the ranks of Pele.

Remember...Pele once called Nicky Butt the best player in the world.

He also predicted Colombia would win the World Cup in 1994.

Oh well
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:04:25 PM »

Yeah I suppose the "average" fan is more likely to recognize the spectacular... and while Gerrard is a very good player, other than some memorable long range efforts it's tough to describe his game as spectacular....It's more solid, consistent & workmanlike...not the kinda game that would get you the Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Messi type of recognition from the average fan I suppose. 

When it comes to Liverpool, I think Javier Mascherano is relatively more underappreciated than S. Gerrard though...even to the average fan. 

Gerrad is a superb, dynamic player who is extremely consistent. That said, it's impossible to say how much recognition a player 'deserves'. Not sure how you measure how well he is regarded by the average fan, or how you define the average fan. But one thing I'm pretty sure of, is that his profile could not be any higher..even to the so-called average fan. Just about everyone knows who he is, what club and country he represents, roughly what he has achieved in the game, and that he is arguably the best player for both club and country. In fact, I'd argue his profile is as high as it can get for any player who is more or less in his class.

For those who think he should be regarded even higher than he is by the 'average fan'...one thing to consider is that on some level the average fan probably ties a player's achievements to his club's and country's achievements. For better pr for worse, the living legends of the game are the guys winning stuff at all levels. That Gerrard has not lit up (far less won) a major international tournament, nor has Liverpool won any domestic league titles probably means he is not as well regarded as his actual individual performances merit (even with that Champion's league winner's medal and 2 final appearances under his belt)....so I could see where BNS and Cocorite coming from. BUt I agree with Kicker...the average fan probably rates Gerrard as highly as one should expect..any higher and he'd be thought of in the same regard as the frenchman bigging him up in this article..and he eh there yet( again...just my opinion :beermug:)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:17 PM »
Zidane suffer head trauma from the head butt he put on that man or what.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »
buh ent he geh ah spanner??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »
Ah still doh like him.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »
::)

Zidane has now joined the ranks of Pele.

Remember...Pele once called Nicky Butt the best player in the world.

He also predicted Colombia would win the World Cup in 1994.

Oh well

Zidane is lined up to be Real Madrid's football ambassador/director under the incoming Florentino Perez.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just to make the Madridista and Zidane feel better that they were eliminated by Liverpool.

Who knows it was probably unconscious, when yuh side get beat 5-0 on aggregate yuh probably want to believe that is the best player in the world that do it.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 03:03:18 PM »

Zidane is lined up to be Real Madrid's football ambassador/director under the incoming Florentino Perez.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just to make the Madridista and Zidane feel better that they were eliminated by Liverpool.

Who knows it was probably unconscious, when yuh side get beat 5-0 on aggregate yuh probably want to believe that is the best player in the world that do it.

So we should expect someone from Man U to come out singing Gerrard's praises within the next couple days then.....  :-\
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:05:59 PM by kicker »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Zidane names Gerrard as best player in the world
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 06:29:07 AM »
March 13, 2009  soccernet.com

Zinedine Zidane believes Steven Gerrard is the best player in the world.

The legendary former Real Madrid playmaker saw his old club dismantled by Gerrard's Liverpool on Tuesday night, when the Reds ran out 4-0 winners at Anfield, 5-0 on aggregate.

England's midfield star scored two of the goals and ahead of tomorrow's crucial trip to Old Trafford, Zidane has claimed he is a better all-round player than Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo, the current holder of the Ballon d'Or.

"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of (Lionel) Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be,'' the former France captain said.

"If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team.

"When we were winning league titles and European Cups at Real, I always said Claude Makelele was our most important player.

"There is no way myself, (Luis) Figo or Raul would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard.''

Zidane added: "He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief.

"You can't learn that - players like him are just born with that presence.''
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:32:54 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Zidane names Gerrard as best player in the world
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 07:02:13 AM »
wait nuh, Zidane bounce he head or wha :devil:............ya ent kno? :D
I would choose Shrek any day over steveOH
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »

Wholly agreed with both components of your post.  I myself have been slow to give Mascherano his due... always saw him as a gritty dogged player... but he's an underrated offensive threat from long range and set pieces, and man does he ever fight.  Love it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 10:14:52 AM »
Gerrad is a superb, dynamic player who is extremely consistent. That said, it's impossible to say how much recognition a player 'deserves'. Not sure how you measure how well he is regarded by the average fan, or how you define the average fan. But one thing I'm pretty sure of, is that his profile could not be any higher..even to the so-called average fan. Just about everyone knows who he is, what club and country he represents, roughly what he has achieved in the game, and that he is arguably the best player for both club and country. In fact, I'd argue his profile is as high as it can get for any player who is more or less in his class.

For those who think he should be regarded even higher than he is by the 'average fan'...one thing to consider is that on some level the average fan probably ties a player's achievements to his club's and country's achievements. For better pr for worse, the living legends of the game are the guys winning stuff at all levels. That Gerrard has not lit up (far less won) a major international tournament, nor has Liverpool won any domestic league titles probably means he is not as well regarded as his actual individual performances merit (even with that Champion's league winner's medal and 2 final appearances under his belt)....so I could see where BNS and Cocorite coming from. BUt I agree with Kicker...the average fan probably rates Gerrard as highly as one should expect..any higher and he'd be thought of in the same regard as the frenchman bigging him up in this article..and he eh there yet( again...just my opinion :beermug:)

Filho... I don't think exposure or a high profile are factors in the discussion as it relates to appreciation.  People often don't appreciate that which they are most familiar with, so even though his profile is as high as it can possibly get, that doesn't mean that he isn't still being underrated.

To be sure who deserves greater appreciation and who is the average fan etc. are highly subjective issues and not ones that we may ever achieve consensus on.  However for purposes of the discussion I don't even think we need explore those issues in any greater detail.  Suffice to say that despite familiarity with Gerrard's game, mane 'average fans' may still underrate him for silly reasons.  Many will deliberately downplay his worth because they 'hate' him because of the club or country he plays for... few are able to objective appreciate... and even further, acknowledge his game.  The football 'experts' are often better able to set asie such pettiness and biases.

I can say this because even me myself, as objective as I like to think I am... have a hard time thinking of Maradona as anything but a fat sniveling dog, lol

1]; } ?>