April 18, 2024, 09:07:54 PM

Author Topic: 2009 australian open  (Read 8343 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
2009 australian open
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:36:38 PM »
Defending champ Sharapova to miss Aussie OpenUpdated: January 11, 2009, 1:26 AM SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Defending champion Maria Sharapova has been forced to withdraw from the Australian Open due to her slower than expected recovery to full fitness following a shoulder injury.
Sharapova advised tournament officials on Sunday that she would not be able to defend her title at Melbourne Park beginning Jan. 19.

Her Australian Open triumph started an 18-match winning streak last season, enabling the Russian to briefly reclaim her No. 1 ranking in May.

But the shoulder injury hampered her progress in the second half of the year, forcing her out of the Beijing Olympics and the U.S. Open and ending her season.

"I am very sorry to announce that I am not going to be able to defend my title at this year's Australian Open," Sharapova said in a statement.

"My shoulder is doing great, but I just started training a few weeks ago and I am just not near the level I need to be to compete at the highest levels."

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said he was disappointed for Sharapova, who beat Ana Ivanovic of Serbia in the 2008 final.

"She played some amazing tennis on Rod Laver Arena last year and has a massive legion of fans in Australia," Tiley said. "I know she has been working around the clock to try and get back from the shoulder injury. In the end, time beat her this year."

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 australian open
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
Murray wallops Roddick to win Qatar OpenUpdated: January 11, 2009, 12:48 AM DOHA, Qatar (AP) - Andy Murray downplayed talk that he's the favorite heading into the Australian Open after his successful defense of the Qatar Open title.

The fourth-ranked Murray defeated No. 8 Andy Roddick 6-4, 6-2 Saturday to win his first ATP title of the year, and ninth overall.

En route to the title, the Scotsman beat Roger Federer in the semifinals. He also defeated Federer and top-ranked Rafael Nadal last week in an exhibition in Abu Dhabi.
With the Australian Open starting in Melbourne on Jan. 19, Murray heads into the first major of 2009 in fine form.

"I feel good going into the Australian Open but after what happened last year, I don't want to get too carried away," Murray said. "I am one of the top guys, but I don't know if I am the favorite at the Australian Open. There is Roger, Rafa and Novak (Djokovic), who won last year."

A year ago, Murray lost in the first round to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who eventually reached the final.

He travels to Australia after a convincing win against Roddick.

Murray broke Roddick to go up 3-2 in the opening set, and used two more breaks in the second to take a 4-1 lead. Roddick's only break-point chance came with Murray serving for the match, but the Scotsman saved it with an ace and clinched the title with a backhand winner down the line.

"He's in top form right now," Roddick said. "I think he is capable of winning the big ones."

Murray wasn't broken in the semifinals or final, and showed no sign of the back injury which bothered him against Federer.

"I am not close to my best tennis," Murray said. "But if I play my best tennis, then I can beat the top players."

Roddick was impressed with Murray, and seemed satisfied with his week in Qatar.

"He was hitting great balls," Roddick said. "But I am happy with my form. I made him beat me. I didn't give it away so easily. It was a successful week for me."

look out fuh him he on fire.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:10:08 AM »
Federer surprised Murray's the favorite MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Roger Federer isn't going to give Andy Murray too much street cred until the young Scot has earned it.
Federer had trouble containing an incredulous laugh this week when he heard that British bookmakers had made 21-year-old Murray the favorite, or at least equal favorite, to win the Australian Open.

As if it wasn't bad enough that Rafael Nadal had ended the Swiss star's five-year Wimbledon reign last season and his record 237-week reign at No. 1. Or that Novak Djokovic had beaten him in the last Australian Open - the only one of the last 15 Grand Slam tournaments not won by either Federer or Nadal.

Murray "has never won a Slam. Novak is the defending champion here. Rafa had an incredible season last year," said Federer, who is bidding to equal Pete Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slam singles titles. "I won the last Slam of last season. It's surprising to hear."

Murray has only twice been beyond the fourth round at a major, his best run being a runner-up finish to Federer at the last U.S. Open.

But British hopes of a first men's Grand Slam title since 1936 rose sharply when Murray beat Federer in an exhibition match at Abu Dhabi and in the semifinals of the Qatar Open at Doha last week.

For Federer, the two losses this month to Murray were a whole lot easier to take than his confidence-denting preparation for the last Australian Open.

"I didn't quite know where my game was," Federer said during the Kooyong exhibition tournament this week, thinking back 12 months to when he had a bout with mononucleosis before the first Grand Slam event of the season. " ... that is kind of what shook me up a bit."

Federer entered 2008 as a strong contender to win all four majors and ended with just one, increasing his career haul to 13.

The mononucleosis forced him to withdraw from all tournaments before the last Australian Open, where he was defending champion, and he went in cold. He said he genuinely feared a first-round exit.

He lost to Djokovic in the semifinals and his aura of invincibility seemed to be gone. Suddenly the sublime backhand winners weren't routinely kissing the lines. The almost ethereal court movement started to appear, ever-so-slightly, labored.

He lost the French Open and Wimbledon finals and No. 1 ranking to Nadal, who also won the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics.

But he thinks he regained momentum by winning the U.S. Open.

"It is a good feeling to enter a Grand Slam if you have won the last one," he said.

Serena Williams can identify with that feeling.

She enters the Australian Open as the women's No. 2 seed and as the reigning U.S. Open champion.

Defending Australian champion Maria Sharapova is sidelined with an injured right shoulder and fifth-seeded Ana Ivanovic, runner-up here last year before she won the French Open, is seemingly out of form and without a coach.

While Jelena Jankovic of Serbia and Russians Dinara Safina and Elena Dementieva are ranked Nos. 1, 3 and 4, none has won a major.

Williams' elder sister, Venus, looms as the other leading contender.

Venus won the Williams derby in last year's Wimbledon final to claim her fifth title there and rounded off the year by winning the WTA Championship.

Serena's win at the U.S. Open made her only the sixth woman to win nine or more Grand Slam singles titles.

She also returned to the No. 1 ranking for four weeks in '08, five years and a month after previously holding it. And a recent trend points to another title - she has won the Australian title every alternate year since 2003, when she beat Venus in the final.

In 2005, she saved three match points in a semifinal win over Sharapova and then beat Lindsay Davenport for the title.

In 2007, she was unseeded and ranked No. 81 when she beat five seeds before a 6-2, 6-1 rout of Sharapova in the final. But she's not relying on it just being a matter of sequence.

"It'd be great to win it again. I'm not really superstitious," she said. "Obviously I would like to win in 2009. To be honest I really wanted to win in 2008 but it didn't quite work out."

She got in some good practice in Sydney this week, fending off three match points in a quarterfinal win over Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark before losing to Olympic champion Dementieva in the semis.

"I made a lot of errors and made her look like a champ, really. I just pretty much gave her the match," Williams said. But, "it was good to have a few matches under my belt getting ready for Melbourne.

"I feel like I'm going to play a lot better than what I did this week."

While Federer and Williams know what it's like to enter a tournament underprepared, Nadal is going to have to learn.

Tendinitis in his right knee forced him out of the Paris Masters, the Masters Cup and Spain's win in the Davis Cup final at the end of last year. The 22-year-old lefty has played three official matches this year, and also lost to Murray in the Abu Dhabi exhibition tournament.

Federer doesn't think Murray will benefit from the bookmakers' prognostications, thinking expectations could weigh him down.

He thought pressure might also tell on Djokovic, the 21-year-old Serbian defending a Grand Slam title for the first time.

Taking himself out of the equation, he picked Nadal to have the best chance of the others. Nadal lost to Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the Muhammad Ali lookalike, in the semifinals last season.

Murray "put himself in a position, but winning a Grand Slam is a different animal," Federer said. "Not many guys have been able to win a Grand Slam in the last few years. Rafa and me took a lot of them. ... They don't come easily."

Djokovic lost his opening match at the Brisbane International last week, his first tournament with a new racket sponsor. He accepted a wild-card entry for Sydney, where he reached the semifinals late Thursday.

"I'm aware of the pressure and expectations that are behind me as the defending champion," Djokovic said. "But look, on the brighter side, I will have a big challenge in front of me.

"I have to get used to that if I want to stay in the top of men's tennis. Hopefully I'm going to be a couple of times in this situation as a defending champion."

Murray thinks he'll get that experience, too, now that he's overcome the nerves and is 5-2 in his career against Federer.

"It doesn't make any difference whether people expect you to win or not. It doesn't change my mentality," he said. "The more matches you play, you realize what the bookies are saying doesn't make any difference once you get on court, whether they are saying good things or bad things."

Murray said he had no fear of Federer.

"The more you play against him the less fearful you are, you're not scared to win the match," he said. "Now when I play him I don't get nervous and if I play my best tennis I can beat him.

"I'm going to enjoy being one of the favorites and give it my best. I've got a lot more Grand Slams to play. I'm really chilled out."

Federer is thinking along similar lines, and isn't ruling out becoming the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win all four majors in a calendar year.

On the eve of Friday's draw, he was asked how many more Grand Slam events he was capable of winning. His answer, delivered in his matter-of-fact manner: "Plenty."

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Federer needs to focus on his game and stop worrying about what the tennis pundits are saying. Murray has been in great form and definitely has the game to win the Australian, but Federer has the greater experience in terms of slam finals.

I know that he is trying to get inside Murray's head, but that tactic may actually backfire.

He needs to take it one round at a time.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »
Hewitt is out! 5-7, 6-2, 6-2, 3-6 & 6-3 to Gonzales. I love it! Nadal, Tsonga, Murray, Blake, Haas, Monfils, Federer and Roddick to name a few bigger names are all through.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
Federer-Safin up next in the 3rd round.  looking forward to it.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »

Big match dat.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:19 AM »
Serena survives, Venus falls in second round
Updated: January 22, 2009, 7:05 AM EST 6 comments MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Venus Williams squandered a match point before losing 2-6, 6-3, 7-5 Thursday to 46th-ranked Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain in the biggest upset so far at the Australian Open.

Williams hardly looked like the reigning Wimbledon champion against the 20-year-old Suarez Navarro, whose best showing in three previous Grand Slams was reaching last year's French Open quarterfinals.

Usually the aggressor with her powerful shots, sixth-seeded Williams was sluggish as she was broken while serving for the match and dropped the last five games with the crowd cheering loudly for Suarez to finish off the victory.

"She was super consistent and aggressive and just went for her shots," said Williams, who has seven Grand Slam titles and now will have to hope for a doubles crown here with sister Serena. "Probably one of her best matches she's ever played.

"I wasn't in control of the points. I'm definitely used to dictating the points a little bit more. It was kind of a pattern that wasn't the best for me."

Suarez Navarro, overmatched at first, broke twice in the second set as Williams let a number of reachable shots fly past. She saved a match point while serving at 4-5 in the deciding set and broke Williams in the next game, aided by a double-fault from the 28-year-old American.

Suarez Navarro squandered one match point while serving at 40-15 in the next game before Williams netted a forehand for her 37th enforced error.

Williams' sister Serena struggled earlier and headed straight to the practice courts for a extra work after a 6-3, 7-5 win over Argentina's Gisela Dulko. She gave her performance a "D-minus at best" as 45th-ranked Dulko matched her shot for shot.

The second-seeded Williams' 6-3, 7-5 victory was far from easy.

Williams, hoping to extend a sequence of winning the Australian title every alternate year since 2003, had to fend off six set points in the ninth game of the second set to prevent the match going to a third. That game went to a dozen deuces before Williams broke to get back on serve.

She had a brace removed from her left ankle in the changeover and, although grimacing with pain, held and then broke Dulko again - this game going to deuce a half-dozen times - to get her chance to serve it out.

After all that, the nine-time Grand Slam winner finished with ace on her first match point, advancing in 1 hour, 50 minutes.

"It was a very tough second set, she started playing unbelievable, hitting winners left and right," Williams said. "She had a couple of opportunities but I always felt I wasn't going to lose.

Williams converted only four of her 18 break chances against the 23-year-old Argentine. Dulko was successful on both of hers.

"She definitely isn't known for the game she played today," Williams said. "But I'm used to people really playing and taking it to me now.

"It definitely helps you to get match tough and be ready for the next person that's, you know, obviously going to take it to me."

Olympic champion Elena Dementieva improved her 2009 winning streak to 12 matches with 6-4, 6-1 win over Iveta Benesova.

Dementieva, who won titles at Auckland and Sydney before the season's first major, struggled with her serve early but recovered to finish the match in 72 minutes.

The 27-year-old Dementieva reached the French Open and U.S. Open finals in 2004, beaten both times by fellow Russians, and has not returned to the championship of a Grand Slam tournament since.

Her highlight last year was a win over fellow Russian Dinara Safina in the gold medal match at the Beijing Olympics. She was ousted in the semifinals at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 2008 and has never advanced beyond the fourth round at Melbourne Park.

Amelie Mauresmo, who won here and at Wimbledon in 2006, rallied for a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Britain's Elena Baltacha. Mauresmo, a former No. 1 now seeded 20th after an injury-plagued 2008, advanced when Baltacha double-faulted on match point.

Fellow Frenchwoman Virginie Razzano ousted No. 14 Patty Schnyder of Switzerland 6-3, 6-1.

Other women advancing included No. 12 Flavia Pennetta of Italy, No. 13 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, No. 18 Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia, No. 21 Anabel Medina Garrigues of Spain and China's Zheng Jie, seeded 22nd.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:03 PM »
Venus oh gosh man.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 06:52:26 AM »

Federer won in straight sets. He looked really good imo and moved about better than at any point last year. He's getting close to 100% and based on how he played he should be the favorite the rest of the way

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »
damn vex i missing these games...great tennis to watch right now with federer, murray and nadal...great for tennis fans
Back in Trini...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »
Murray, Nadal dominate to reach fourth round
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal dominated their third-round matches Saturday at the Australian Open to move closer to a possible semifinal showdown.

The fourth-seeded Murray, seeking his first Grand Slam title, ran off 11 straight games while overwhelming Jurgen Melzer 7-5, 6-0, 6-3. The 21-year-old Scot had only 10 unforced errors and next plays No. 14 Fernando Verdasco.

"I hope I can keep this form up," Murray said. "I'm going to have to play my best every match to have a chance."

Top-ranked Nadal did have to work hard against Germany's Tommy Haas, getting broken for the first time in the tournament, but showed no weakness in ripping 53 winners to only eight unforced errors in a 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 victory.

"I think I played one of my best matches here at the Australian Open," said Nadal, making his fifth appearance at Melbourne Park.

He will face 13th-seeded Fernando Gonzalez of Chile, the 2007 runnerup here, who needed more than four hours to beat France's Richard Gasquet with a 12-10 fifth set.

With Haas playing at the top of his game, Nadal fell behind 2-0 in the first set, then never faced another breakpoint. He lost only 13 points in 12 service games and committed only one unforced error in the 43-minute second set and two in the third.

The crowd favorite for Murray's match was clear, with Scottish flags and tartan hats scattered about on a cool night.

Constantly confounded by Murray's blend of power, speed and spin, Melzer did get a huge ovation when he held while down 3-0 in the third set to end Murray's streak of 11 games.

Melzer broke as Murray served for the match at 5-1 and fended off double match point in the next game. But Murray finished it off with his eighth ace, getting one step closer to becoming the first British man to win a major since 1936.

Sometimes sprinting to his chair during changeovers, Murray has raced through his first three matches in a combined 4 hours and 15 minutes - just six minutes longer than Gonzalez and Gasquet were on court Saturday - thanks in part to a 45-minute effort when Andrei Pavel retired in the first round with a bad back.

The mood seemed almost subdued as play got under way at Melbourne Park, a day after the streaker and a violent clash between Serbian and Bosnian fans kept security guards busy. A chair-flinging skirmish after defending champion Novak Djokovic of Serbia beat Bosnian-born American Amer Delic left a woman injured, three men charged with riotous behavior and 30 people ejected by police.

No. 14 Fernando Verdasco of Spain beat No. 22 Radek Stepanek to advance along with three Frenchmen Saturday.

Among them was fifth-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the runner-up here last year, who beat Israeli Dudi Sela and next meets No. 9 James Blake, who became the second American to reach the final 16, joining Andy Roddick.

Gael Monfils, a French Open semifinalist last year, beat No. 17 Nicolas Almagro of Spain and will face No. 6 Gilles Simon, who ousted No. 19 Mario Ancic of Croatia.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 09:58:02 PM »
Top-seeded Jankovic falls to Bartoli MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Top-seeded Jelena Jankovic was knocked out in the fourth round of the Australian Open, and will have to search elsewhere for her first Grand Slam title.

Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli, the 2007 Wimbledon finalist, broke Jankovic's serve twice in the first set en route to a 6-1, 6-4 win Sunday and a place in the quarterfinals.

"I tried to not think about it for the whole match," Bartoli said of Jankovic's No. 1 ranking. "This is my first time playing in Rod Laver Arena. I think I just played amazingly today and I'm so glad to put on a good performance."

The 16th-seeded Bartoli had not been past the second round in seven previous trips to Melbourne Park.

Critics questioned whether Jankovic could convert her numeric ranking into a victory in the championship match at a major. She was a semifinalist at the Australian Open and French Opens last year before losing the U.S. Open final to Serena Williams.

When Bartoli turned up the pressure Sunday, Jankovic tightened up again.

Bartoli was the aggressor, repeatedly sending Jankovic serves back faster than they came over and standing two steps inside the baseline for second serves.

Bartoli hits two-fisted, flat and hard from both sides, and she peppered the lines and corners. Jankovic, repeatedly covering her face or looking to her mother for support and guidance, seemed shellshocked after falling behind 5-0 in the first set despite shouts of "Let's go JJ!" from the crowd.

Jankovic fended off two set points while serving at 1-5, but Bartoli easily held in the next game, finishing off the set with a deft drop shot that caught Jankovic behind the baseline.

Increasingly tentative and bewildered, Jankovic twice lost points early in the second set by stopping play on Bartoli shots that she thought were long but replays showed caught the line. She used up her last challenge of the set in the sixth game.

Bartoli broke to pull ahead 5-4 in a game that went to deuce six times, with Jankovic netting a backhand on breakpoint.

Jankovic wanted to challenge Bartoli's winner in the next game but couldn't. The Frenchwoman went on to hold despite a twitchy double fault at 40-15, whacking a forehand winner down the line and raising her arms in jubilation.

Last Saturday night, men's No. 1 Rafael Nadal ripped 53 winners in a 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 victory against Tommy Haas.

Nadal kept his unforced errors to a frugal eight - and to just one in the 43-minute second set.

"I played one of my best matches here at the Australian Open," said Nadal, who has improved by one round in each of his five trips to Australia. To continue that sequence, he'll have to make the final.

Andy Murray won 11 straight games during a 7-5, 6-0, 6-3 win over Austrian Jurgen Melzer.

And the 21-year-old Murray thought he'd been miserly with his 10 mistakes against No. 31 Melzer.

He was broken when serving for the match at 5-1 and wasted two match points in the subsequent game before finishing off with an ace.

Right now, fourth-seeded Murray isn't Nadal's major concern.

He's got 2007 Australian Open finalist Fernando Gonzalez next. The 28-year-old Chilean rallied from two-sets down and saved match point en route to a 3-6, 3-6, 7-6 (10), 6-2, 12-10 win over Richard Gasquet of France.
Fifth-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, losing finalist last year, joined fellow Frenchmen Gael Monfils and No. 6 Gilles Simon in the fourth round. He next faces No. 9 James Blake, the second American to reach the final 16 after Andy Roddick.

No. 7 Roddick has a match against Spaniard Tommy Robredo on Sunday night.

Roger Federer's quest for a record-equaling 14th major continues when he plays 20th-seeded Tomas Berdych in an afternoon match on Rod Laver Arena.

Defending champion Novak Djokovic has the closing match on center court.

On the other side of the women's draw, Serena Williams had 6-1, 6-4 win over China's Peng Shuai on Saturday, moving closer to a 10th Grand Slam title.

Williams next faces No. 13 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, who ousted 2006 Australian Open and Wimbledon champion Amelie Mauresmo.

Olympic gold medalist Elena Dementieva extended her women's winning streak to 13 matches, coming back from 2-5 in the first set to oust Australia's Samantha Stosur.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »
Federer rallies from 2 sets down for 4th-round win MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - For two sets it looked as if Roger Federer's run at a record 14th Grand Slam title was going to be derailed by Tomas Berdych at the Australian Open.

Then the 6-foot-5 Czech had a meltdown, and Federer swooped, recovering for a 4-6, 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 victory Sunday — only his fourth career comeback from two sets down - to reach the quarterfinals.

"You've got to hang in there, there's no other solution," Federer said. "... Tried to weather the storm. He was hitting the ball so heavy and so hard. He pushed me to the limit."

A massive upset result loomed in the late afternoon when 20th-seeded Berdych was on top for the first two sets, working Federer around with powerful forehands to keep the Swiss star on the defensive. He consistently targeted Federer's backhand with his powerful, kicking serve.

But Federer started finding his range and rallied in the third set and the momentum, already shifting toward him as Berdych's errors mounted, really shifted his way at the start of the fourth set.

Berdych recovered from double breakpoint to deuce, and Federer got another breakpoint on a close line call. Berdych wanted to challenge, but no replay was available due to a technical glitch, so the call stood. Berdych argued with the chair umpire to no avail with the crowd breaking out in jeers, then netted a forehand to fall behind for the only break of the set.

Federer led 4-0 in the fifth but, serving at 5-2, nervously squandered double match point then double-faulted to give Berdych a break chance.

He forced deuce, fired back-to-back aces — the last was No. 20 for the match - then leapt in the air with a big "Yes!"

"I enjoy those kind of fights. It doesn't happen all the time. It's always special," Federer said. "I hope it's a good omen. I feel like I could play a couple more sets, so that's a good sign."

Federer has won 13 Grand Slam singles titles, one short of Pete Sampras' record.

Federer will face No. 8 Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina, a 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 winner over No. 19 Marin Cilic of Croatia.
The last time he rallied from 0-2 to win in five was against Rafael Nadal at Miami in 2005.

Federer, who held the No. 1 ranking for 237 consecutive weeks until losing it to Nadal last August, rarely has needed to come back from two sets.

He has done it twice in majors, against Armenia's Sargis Sargsian in the second round at the 2001 French Open and Dutchman Peter Wessels at the 2000 U.S. Open.

Federer beat Berdych in the corresponding round here last year - after he'd been pushed to 10-8 in the fifth set against Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic. He lost to another Serb, Novak Djokovic, in the semifinals.

Djokovic, who went on to win his first major by beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in last year's final, defeated 2006 runner-up Marcos Baghdatis in four sets in Sunday's night match.

Djokovic will play seventh-seeded Andy Roddick, who ousted No. 21 Tommy Robredo 7-5, 6-1, 6-3.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
seems like I pick the wrong match to miss.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
seems like I pick the wrong match to miss.
saw de first 2 sets,was too sleepy,knew roger would come back.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 11:00:58 PM »
Federer pays tribute to retiring Safin, Santoro MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - His much-touted rematch at the Australian Open against Marat Safin a dud, Roger Federer decided to talk less about his own stellar play and more about two guys who will soon put away their rackets.

Federer avenged his 2005 Australian Open semifinal defeat to Safin with an overpowering 6-3, 6-2, 7-6 (5) win at Rod Laver Arena, keeping him on track for a 14th Grand Slam singles title that would tie him with Pete Sampras for career majors.

Told after his match that Safin has said this will be his final year on tour, and that retiring French veteran Fabrice Santoro was commemorated on court after his loss Friday, Federer expressed how much he'd miss them both.

In the case of two-time Grand Slam champion Safin, it's not hard to figure — the win Friday gave Federer a 10-2 career record against the temperamental Russian.

"He brings something different to the tennis world with his character, the way he is on the court and the way he is off the court," Federer said. "He's larger than life.

"I respect him for what a competitor he is. I hope it's not the last one tonight."

Sampras once called Santoro "The Magician" after the deft Frenchman beat him in a three-setter in 2002.

The 36-year-old Santoro, who plays double-handed forehand and backhand and is a master of spin, has never gone past the quarterfinals in singles in 66 Grand Slam events.

Federer echoed Sampras' comment after Santoro made his 18th appearance at the Australian Open.

"I guess he's one of those magicians that's going to leave the game," Federer said. "His game is not very easy to play at this stage. Players are getting stronger and faster and more powerful.

"I was fortunate enough to learn things from him, because he's quite a tricky player to play against. He teaches you how to treat a tennis ball ... not to go crazy about it."

Federer had all the answers on court against Safin on Friday, but was stumped when questioned about how he might retire.

"That's a tough call," Federer said. "I guess saying it one year in advance it's kind of tough, too. Everywhere you go they make a big deal about it."

"If you just say, like (Andre) Agassi, for instance, he did it at Wimbledon (in 2006). The U.S. Open (and) it was all done. It's a shorter period. Maybe less pressure to play, and then that's it."

"Some people just do it at their last match," he said. "Bang, that's it. I don't know what type of guy I am. I'm not thinking about it."

A guy who is — Safin — said the player he'll miss most is Federer. They gave each other a big hug at the net at the end of Friday's match.

"We've known each other since '94," Safin said. "We had some great matches. We grew up together. I respect him as a tennis player, as a person. Let's put it this way: He's a very close colleague of mine."

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 05:38:04 AM »
well i see murray get knocked out...
Back in Trini...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 08:20:15 AM »
Verdasco dumps Murray, Nadal wins in Melbourne MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Being a favorite with the British bookmakers worked against Andy Murray at the Australian Open.

Fernando Verdasco took out No. 4 Andy Murray in five sets Monday. (Mark Kolbe / Getty Images)
No. 14 Fernando Verdasco of Spain rallied to beat the 21-year-old Scot 2-6, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 on Monday to reach the quarterfinals at the season's first major.

The fourth-seeded Murray saved two match points after falling behind 40-0 in the last game but wasn't able to fend off a third, dumping a backhand into the net.

Murray, who lost in the U.S. Open final last year to Roger Federer, was attempting to become the first British man since 1936 to win a Grand Slam singles title.

After recent wins over No. 1-ranked Rafael Nadal and No. 2 Federer, Murray had become a favorite to beat them both for the Australian title.

"I don't know if I'll be the favorite for a Slam in the next year or so after today," Murray said, responding to questions about the extra pressure of expectations. "But it doesn't really bother me.

"If I'm the favorite to win, whatever, I play the same as I am when I'm the underdog."

Verdasco, a key player in Spain's Davis Cup final triumph in Argentina, next plays 2008 runner-up Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who beat American James Blake 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 (3) in the late match.

Verdasco saved two break points in the pivotal sixth game of the fifth set, firing aces when he needed them and forcing errors from the other side. He broke Murray in the subsequent game to compound the advantage.

"I was feeling confident and fit," Verdasco said. "I just tried to play my game."

Earlier, Nadal ousted 2007 runner-up Fernando Gonzalez 6-3, 6-2, 6-4.

Nadal ran off 12 of the first 13 points and broke Gonzalez twice in the first set en route to his third quarterfinal appearance at Melbourne Park in his last three trips.

The 22-year-old Spaniard went down a break in the third set but rallied to win five straight games and six of the last seven.

Gonzalez, who beat Nadal here in the quarterfinals en route to the final two years ago, had a difficult third-round win. He had to come back from two sets down to beat Richard Gasquet of France 12-10 in the fifth.

Nadal, the reigning French Open and Wimbledon champion, is bidding to reach his first Australian Open final. He next plays No. 6 Gilles Simon.

Simon advanced to the Australian Open quarterfinals Monday when fellow Frenchman and longtime friend Gael Monfils retired after three sets.
Sixth-seeded Simon was leading 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 when No. 12 Monfils withdrew with what appeared to be an injured right hand or arm.

Monfils, a semifinalist at the French Open last year, had treatment in the previous set and, after going to the baseline following the change of ends, walked to the net and told Simon he could not continue.

The pair hugged at the net and kissed each other's cheek. Despite being close in age — Simon is 24, Monfils is 22 — it was their first match at tour level.

"It's very hard, because we're very close," Simon said in an on-court interview. "I didn't want to win like this. Sorry everybody, that's not the way you want to win."

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
Being a favorite with the British bookmakers worked against Andy Murray at the Australian Open.

He suffered from the Blight of the British Bookmakers!  :rotfl:

Shit for days!  :beermug:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »
Roddick reaches semis after Djokovic overheats MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Defending champion Novak Djokovic struggled in the heat Tuesday before retiring from his Australian Open quarterfinal against American Andy Roddick.

Roddick advanced 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-2, 2-1, maintaining a sequence of semifinal appearances at Melbourne Park every alternate year since 2003.

Third-seeded Djokovic had just had his service broken to go down 2-1 in the fourth set when he went to the side of the court and told umpire Carlos Ramos he could not continue.

He shook hands with Roddick before leaving Rod Laver Arena, with outside temperatures reaching 35 Celsius (95 Fahrenheit).

Djokovic had a medical timeout after recovering a service break to lead 2-1 in the third set and complained of heat-related problems.

Roddick, the 2003 U.S. Open champion, won the next five games to finish off the third set, taking the last 11 points.

Djokovic, who beat Roddick in the quarterfinals at last year's U.S. Open, finally held the opening game of the fourth set after nine minutes but was visibly slowing down and irritated.

"To be honest I didn't know (he was sick) until he called for help there. That's disappointing," Roddick said. "I feel bad for Novak right now.

"He worked so hard for this last year. To not get a fair chance to defend his title, that's too bad."

Roddick had only lost two points in five service games in the second set and, growing up in Florida, there was no question of his stamina. As Djokovic wilted in the heat, draping towels packed with ice around his neck during changeovers, and lingering in the shade behind the baselines as long as possible, Roddick ran to the side of the court.

"It was really difficult, conditions were extreme," Djokovic said.

The 21-year-old Serb said he'd requested a night match because his fourth-round win over 2006 runner-up Marcos Baghdatis didn't end until 2:26 a.m. Monday and he didn't get to sleep until 6 a.m., so he was unable to practice.

Djokovic beat Roger Federer in the 2008 semifinals and collected his first major title by beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the final.

That was the only Grand Slam title in the last 15 not won by either Federer or No. 1-ranked Rafael Nadal.

Djokovic went out in the semifinals at the French and U.S. Opens and the second round at Wimbledon last year, before finishing off by winning the season-ending Masters Cup.

The 21-year-old Serb has a history of retiring in big matches at the majors. He failed to finish his quarterfinal against Nadal at the 2006 French Open and his semifinal against the Spaniard at Wimbledon in 2007.

Roddick will next play either No. 2 Roger Federer or No. 8 Juan Martin del Potro, who were to meet in a night match.

Federer is seeking a record-equaling 14th Grand Slam singles title.

Djokovic was the fourth player in two days to retire from a big singles match at Melbourne Park.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
does djokovic drive anyone else mad? he like a spoilt brat...go rather murray (altho he done out), fed or nadal winning a tourney over him anyday
Back in Trini...

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 05:00:50 PM »
does djokovic drive anyone else mad? he like a spoilt brat...go rather murray (altho he done out), fed or nadal winning a tourney over him anyday

i feel the same way. and in fact they say that djokovic used to be well liked initially but he eventually started rubbing people the wrong way with his cockiness and his parents and coaching staff equally if not more annoying and cocky. apparently he is one of the least liked on the circuit now. my boy fed dont like him at all

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »
Serena, Dementieva advance to Aussie semis MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - After struggling under a searing sun, Serena Williams found her rhythm when the Rod Laver Arena roof was closed Wednesday and advanced to the Australian Open semifinals.

Williams, a three-time Australian champion, was only one game away from a quarterfinal exit before recovering to beat Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova 5-7, 7-5, 6-1.

Williams, who has nine Grand Slam singles titles, was thankful that the roof was closed over the court after she'd dropped the first set.

The temperature had risen to 107 degrees F by then. When the air conditioning finally kicked in, so did Williams' performance.

Until then, she said, "I was in like an out-of-body experience."

"I felt I was watching someone play in a blue dress, and it wasn't me, because it was so hot out there," she said. "And I kept trying to tell myself that it's not hot, you know.

"But it got hotter ...."

Down a set and a break and with Kuznetsova serving for the match, Williams broke back to get even at 5-5 when Kuznetsova missed an open-court volley that turned the match.

Williams held and then broke Kuznetsova's serve again, pulling to a set apiece with a forehand winner down the line.

The American broke to lead 3-1 in the third and then, after saving two break points with a pair of forehand winners, the result was never in doubt.

After beating the Russian, she joins three others in the semifinals.

"Me against the Russians, I guess," she said.

Williams next plays Olympic gold medalist Elena Dementieva, who ousted Carla Suarez Navarro 6-2, 6-2 in Wednesday's earlier match.

Olympic silver medalist Dinara Safina and No. 7-seeded Vera Zvonareva meet in Thursday's other semifinal.

Dementieva questioned the wisdom of leaving the stadium open for her match as temperatures reached 104 degrees F.

The roof stayed open for the first set of the Williams-Kuznetsova match, but the tournament's Extreme Heat Policy was put into effect at the break between sets — giving the players time to refresh and organizers time to close the retractable roof. Williams also got her rackets restrung in the break.

"I finally started playing a little better in the end of the second set," she said. "I felt like I was really, really off before."

Kuznetsova, the 2004 U.S. Open champion and only other major winner in the quarterfinals, said she was angry the roof was closed.

"It gave her more chances," Kuznetsova said. "Definitely it was a big change. I was very comfortable playing outside.

"She has big serve. She was using it very good when the roof was closed. I guess it was in her favor very much. Definitely angry. Why should I not be?"

The temperature rose to 109 degrees F degrees as the afternoon progressed, the start of a heatwave predicted in and around Melbourne through Saturday.

Williams has won the Australian title in 2003, 2005 and 2007. She's two wins from continuing the odd-numbered sequence.

"I just have to keep playing well and just go for two more," she said.

Dementieva made a fast start against 20-year-old Suarez Navarro of Spain, who upset Venus Williams in the second round, winning 16 of the first 18 points for a 4-0 lead.

She raced through the first five games in 22 minutes and, after eventually holding serve in a sixth game that went to deuce 11 times and lasted 17 minutes, finished off in 1 hour, 35 minutes.

"You can work so hard trying to get ready for the weather conditions, but when you have to face 40 (104 Fahrenheit) or 41 (106), there is no way you can get used to it," Dementieva said. "The best way is to play as quick as possible and just get away from the court. I mean, there is no way to adjust with the heat here."

Both players were soon draping towels packed with ice around their necks during changeovers and sought shade as long as possible behind the baselines between points.

Dementieva was having particular problems with her high service toss as she looked straight up into the sun, double-faulting four times in that long game. She finished with 10 double-faults.

She blamed that on the harsh sun.

"Usually when you're playing at 11 a.m., it's not that strong. But today it was a very dangerous sun and very strong," she said.

Even local wildlife was struggling in the heat, with moths fluttering onto the court and stopping.

"It was hot for everyone, you know," Dementieva said. "They were like ready to die; not to survive a day like that."

Fourth-seeded Dementieva had never gone past the fourth round in 10 previous trips to Australia. Now she's only one win from reaching a third Grand Slam final. The 27-year-old Russian lost the French and U.S. Open finals in 2004.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 06:26:32 PM »
Keep goin Serena.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »
Federer advances to Aussie final; Serena to face Safina for women

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Roger Federer moved within one victory of his 14th Grand Slam title with another dominating victory, ousting Andy Roddick 6-2, 7-5, 7-5 Thursday to reach the Australian Open final.

Roddick, who undertook a rigorous offseason training regime designed to help him beat Federer and top-ranked Rafael Nadal, was in good form.

But the second-ranked Federer outplayed him in every phase of the game. Ripping winners from all over the court and usually forcing Roddick to hit more than one good shot to win a point, he even had more aces than the hard-serving American, 16-8.

"I served well in the first set and that gave me a lot of confidence," Federer said. "I was moving well and getting a lot of balls back and making it difficult for Andy to get the upper hand from the baseline. That was kind of what I was hoping for."

Federer, seeking his fourth Australian title, will face the winner of Friday's semifinal between Nadal and fellow Spanish left-hander Fernando Verdasco.

"I don't have to wait to see who wins, I can start preparing for a leftie tonight," Federer said.

The women's final matchup was set earlier in the day. Serena Williams was calm, collected and cool -- with the Rod Laver Arena roof closed to keep out Melbourne's oppressive heat wave -- to end Olympic champion Elena Dementieva's 15-match winning streak with a 6-3, 6-4 victory.

All that stands between her and a 10th Grand Slam title is third-seeded Dinara Safina, who is hungry to take home her first major trophy to go along with the two that brother Marat Safin has earned. Safina ousted fellow Russian Vera Zvonareva 6-3, 7-6 (4) in the other semifinal. The winner Saturday also will rise to the No. 1 ranking.

By the time Federer and Roddick were on court in the evening, temperatures had dropped to 91 degrees from 112 in the afternoon -- news reports called it Melbourne's hottest January day since 1939 -- so the retractable roof was open.

That would seem to have given Roddick, who grew up in the heat of Texas and Florida, an edge. Against a hot Federer, it didn't matter. A behind-the-back hit right to the ballboy after a Roddick fault in the first game was a dead giveaway.

Although Roddick won their last meeting, Federer held a 15-2 edge over him coming into the match.

"The last time I lost, so coming into this match there was a bit of pressure," Federer said.

It didn't show. Instead, this one played out like many of the Swiss star's previous victories.

Blunting Roddick's blistering serves, Federer broke twice in the first set. Adding to Roddick's frustration was a call that went against him as Federer served at 4-1.

A Federer shot was called out, but he successfully challenged. Chair umpire Enric Molina ruled that Roddick couldn't have gotten to the ball and gave the point to Federer. Roddick argued he stopped running when he heard the "out" call, and he had a running dialogue with Molina during several changeovers.

With both players holding easily in the second set, a tiebreaker loomed with Roddick serving at 5-5. Federer broke at love, then easily held with Roddick failing to get a serve return back in play.

"Let's not kid ourselves," Roddick said. "You're down two sets to him and scraping, trying to survive. I hit the ball pretty well. He just came up with shots when he needed to. That's what he does."

Roddick had 38 winners, only 18 unforced errors and two double faults.

After serving a double-fault at 2-2 in the third set, Roddick got a warning for an audible obscenity and told Molina: "I take back the apology."

Roddick served again at 5-5 in the third set, and Federer -- who seems to come up with his best tennis under pressure -- broke again. He easily held, finishing off the match with a forehand down the line -- his 51st winner to just 15 unforced errors.

"Towards the end of the tournament, I think this is where you should judge a great player," Federer said.

Williams has a history of winning the Australian Open in odd-numbered years -- 2003, 2005 and 2007 -- but there was nothing odd about her victory in the semis.

She followed her traditional pattern of playing her way into form after struggling in earlier matches. She benefited from fourth-round opponent Victoria Azarenka retiring sick after winning the first set, and got a chance to recuperate when the roof was closed due to the heat Wednesday after she'd lost the first set in the quarterfinals against Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova.

"I'm excited that I'm playing really consistent," said Williams, the reigning U.S. Open champion. "This whole Australia swing, I was just really struggling with my form, for whatever reason, 'cause I definitely put in the time, but it just didn't come together."

It certainly did against Dementieva, who beat her in their last three meetings and was coming off consecutive titles at two warm-up tournaments.

"I think she was very powerful today," the fourth-seeded Russian said. "I think I was maybe not aggressive enough and maybe I was playing not deep enough, which allowed her to be very aggressive and dictate the game."

Williams later was back on court to partner with sister Venus in a women's doubles match. Seeking their eighth Grand Slam title together, the sisters routed Australia's Casey Dellacqua and Italian Francesca Schiavone 6-0, 6-2 to reach the final.

Safina has yet to win a major, losing the 2008 French Open final to Ana Ivanovic in her best previous run. She lost to Williams in last year's U.S. Open semifinals.

Her older brother won the Australian title in 2005, the day after Williams beat then-No. 1 Lindsay Davenport in the women's final.

Safina was looking forward to giving him a belated birthday present. Safin turned 29 on Tuesday.

"Maybe now I have some money to buy him a present," she joked. "It's great that I can follow his steps. He was my idol. He's still my idol."

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 11:31:13 AM »
Little Sisters in Final in Australia

MELBOURNE, Australia — The Australian Open women’s final will be a match between Serena Williams and Dinara Safina for the trophy and the No. 1 ranking in the world.

Saturday’s final will also be a contest between little sisters who have made good. Serena grew up in the shadow of her older sister Venus and now has won more Grand Slam singles titles than her sibling. (They could win another title together here in the doubles final.)

Safina, who grew up in awe of her older brother Marat Safin, the 2005 Australian Open champion,, now finds herself on the verge of joining him as a major champion and world No. 1.

“It would be amazing to have the same trophy as my brother,” she said. “It’ll be a dream come true.”

That dream is still far from realized, however, even after the third-seeded Safina’s 6-3, 7-6 (4) victory over her less decisive Russian compatriot Vera Zvonareva in Thursday’s semifinals.

The second-seeded Williams has a 5-1 edge over Safina and has made an odd habit of winning in Melbourne: taking the singles title in 2003, 2005 and 2007. Though the overall level of her tennis has been below her highest standard, she has played and served convincingly in patches here, saving some of her greenest patches for her match with Elena Dementieva on Thursday.

Playing indoors, as she has in the last two matches, has certainly helped Williams find her service rhythm. The roof was closed for both women’s semifinals on Thursday, as outside, in the unusually empty streets and parks of Melbourne, temperatures were spiking to 111 Fahrenheit.

“It was the right decision to play indoor,” Dementieva said. “We couldn’t survive outside.”

Dementieva, a longtime member of the Williams sister chase pack, had been in peak form early this season: winning 15 matches in a row with her remarkable groundstrokes and improved serve. But Williams, in trouble in the last two rounds, has long had a gift for rising to the biggest tennis occasions, and she lifted her game again: proving the steadier, stronger force in a 6-3, 6-4 victory.

Her poised, opportunistic — if far from spotless — performance snapped a three-match losing streak against the fourth-seeded Dementieva and put her in position to win her 10th Grand Slam singles title.

“It would be cool,” she said. “Maybe I’ll get the special 10-plus bonus mail. I’m sure that people who have 10 plus Grand Slams get special letters. I’ll be part of a really elite club.”

The motivations of the Williams sisters are sometimes hard to discern. But Dementieva, the tall, elegant blond from Moscow would have been delighted with just one major title. Her fine attacking baseline game has long been restrained by her shaky serve. Many a qualified consultant has failed to help her overcome the weakness, including former Wimbledon men’s champion Richard Krajicek, whose smooth, textbook serve was a delight to behold.

But Dementieva has continued to search for solutions and has worked most recently with Harold Solomon at his Florida academy and with her new traveling coach, former Russian professional Andrei Olhovskiy.

Her serve has become less of a liability and even an occasional strength, as last year’s emotional gold medal at the Olympics in Bejing confirmed. But late-round pressure in Grand Slam events remains the truest test of any shot, and though Dementieva’s big groundstrokes were certainly a match for Williams’s, her serve betrayed her once more at critical phases of this intense match in which games routinely dragged to multiple deuces.

Dementieva would finish with eight double faults, all coming in the second set. Three of them came in the critical fifth game, when she served with a 3-1 lead and appeared to have regained the momentum.

She had saved a break point by wrong-footing Williams, who fell hard to the blue court in her blue dress, legs splayed. Dementieva lifted her hand and apologized, even though she had nothing to apologize for. She had, after all, just ripped a terrific forehand crosscourt.

But back at deuce with Williams looking flustered, Dementieva double faulted on the next two points to lose the game and was soon shrieking even louder than usual at herself in the next game. She would never hold serve again as Williams broke her to go up 4-3 and then broke her back after losing her own serve to go up 5-4.

The last point of that game was decided by one of many extended, eye-catching rallies in this match: many of them punctuated by Dementieva’s screams and Williams’s growls. The American prevailed with a backhand winner moving forward and then served out the match, slamming her 10th ace to get to match point and then pounding an overhead and jumping repeatedly with delight.

Dementieva grinned as she shook Williams’s hand at the net, but it could not have been a reflection of her deeper thoughts. She was in the form of her life this Australian summer and had put herself in range of her career goals by winning warm-up tournaments in Auckland and Sydney, allowing Williams just four games in a straight-set victory in the Sydney semifinals.

But though she had also beaten Williams on a hardcourt in last year’s Olympics, she has yet to beat her in a Grand Slam tournament.

“I think she was moving better today, and her first serve percentage was quite high,” Dementieva said.

Actually it wasn’t. It was just barely over 50 percent, but she did serve and play better on the critical points. So did Safina, who like her still more famous older brother, can sometimes experience massive mood swings in the course of a match.

She reached her first major final at last year’s French Open after saving match points in two different matches. She has been on another wild ride here: saving two match points against Alize Cornet of France in the fourth round and flirting with more big trouble against sentimental favorite Jelena Dokic of France in a three-set quarterfinal.

But she kept it simpler against Zvonareva, and now in the same year that her brother bid farewell to the Australian Open in what he insists is his last season on tour, Safina is now just one more victory from the sort of family double the Williamses consider routine.

“I’ve been watching my brother on TV winning this tournament,” Safina said. “Even if I think about it now, I still have tears in my eyes. It’s great I can follow on his steps, because he was my idol, and he’s still my idol.”

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 02:35:50 PM »
I watched Serena's semifinal. She's looking good, but I can't help thinking that Safina is playing the better tennis. It always seems like the opponent has a chance against Serena.

Federer looked awesome against Roddick. It was my first time seeing him for the Open.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »
great to see Fed oust Roddick...want him to equal Sampras record now!
altho if nadal win i eh go be vex
Back in Trini...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
Venus oh gosh man.

never fails

They take turns in competitions, but always play to win the US open. Always happens.

1]; } ?>