April 25, 2024, 12:45:20 AM

Author Topic: Sbragia scuppers Jones' Tottenham move  (Read 14823 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sbragia scuppers Jones' Tottenham move
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:39:40 AM »
Sbragia scuppers Jones' Tottenham move
By Damian Spellman (The Independent)

Sunderland boss Ricky Sbragia has told Tottenham they have no chance of pushing through a £15m deal for striker Kenwyne Jones.

Reports today suggested Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has tabled a massive bid for the 24-year-old, with whom he worked briefly at Southampton, as he attempts to spend his way out of the Barclays Premier League drop zone.

However, Sbragia has told him to forget about it after seeing the Trinidad and Tobago international return to top form following the knee injury he suffered during the summer.

The Scot said: "There's no way I will be selling my best players, it's as simple as that. I have always said that.

"I don't care what Spurs do, at the end of the day, he won't be going anywhere."

Jones, a £6m signing from the Saints during the summer of 2007, has been a big hit on Wearside since and has also been linked with Saturday's opponents Aston Villa.

However, Sbragia is determined to keep Jones and strike partner Djibril Cisse together, with the Frenchman having admitted earlier this week that he is keen to make his loan move from Marseille permanent at the end of the season.

Sbragia said: "He [Cisse] has been excellent for me. He has come into the club, he has nested in well, he likes the area, and what he has done, he is scoring goals and that's what he is paid to do.

"He and Kenwyne are making a good partnership, so I can't see the point in breaking it - and I can't understand why we would want to sell our best players to teams around us.

"That I can't quite understand. There are no circumstances in which any of my players will be leaving."

There was a similar answer too for Hull counterpart Phil Brown, who revealed after last night's FA Cup third-round replay victory at Newcastle that he had made an offer for Black Cats captain Dean Whitehead.

Sbragia, who contacted Brown yesterday to recall defender Paul McShane from his loan spell at the KC Stadium, said: "I spoke to Phil yesterday and he never mentioned it.

"I see he mentioned it after the game last night, but that's how it goes, I gather.

"At the end of the day, I spoke to him about Paul yesterday and that was as far as it went.

"Dean won't be going anywhere, it's as simple as that."

Meanwhile, Sbragia, whose search for defensive reinforcements is continuing despite McShane's return, confirmed that midfielder Liam Miller is expected to join QPR on loan for the rest of the season later today.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline LondonTrini LFC

• El mejor...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Rafa is Magic
    • View Profile
Re: Sbragia scuppers Jones' Tottenham move
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:03:34 AM »
sad... but still, ah could see why...
Shut up Sven...

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:09:45 AM »
I fed up with Jones news.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
More of the same: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/7830465.stm

Sunderland warn Spurs off Jones

Sunderland manager Ricky Sbragia has insisted that Tottenham have no chance of signing striker Kenwyne Jones.

Reports on Thursday suggested Spurs had tabled a £15m bid for the 24-year-old, but Sbragia said he will not be letting Jones leave the Stadium of Light.

"There's no way I'm selling my best players, I've always said that. It's that simple," he said.

"I don't care what Spurs do, because at the end of the day, Kenwyne will not be going anywhere."

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is a known admirer of the Trinidad and Tobago international, who he worked with during the pair's time at Southampton.

Jones left Saints to join Sunderland in 2007 for £6m and after recovering from a knee injury last summer, he has formed a good partnership in recent weeks with Djibril Cisse.

"Cisse has been excellent for me," added Sbragia. "He has come into the club, he has settled in well and he likes the area.

"What he has done, he is scoring goals and that's what he is paid to do.

"He and Kenwyne are making a good partnership, so I can't see the point in breaking it up - and I can't understand why we would want to sell our best players to teams around us."

Sunderland are 13th in the Premier League, five places and three points above Tottenham.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »
for the right money, any player expendable...even kaka.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:26:02 AM »
Jones not going anywhere until the summer.  Sunderland trying to stay up, and he along with Cisse will be critical in the second part of the season.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 10:34:08 AM »
I eh blame sbragia and personally i think this is better for jones right now

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »

How could a move to a club like Tottenham not be in Jones' best interests?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »

For one thing, they're currently in relegation form.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »

Tottenham is a poorly managed club.

They have Redknapp now and he will work with them but over the years their transfer policy has been crazy.

They will buy fifteen midfielders, each as average/good as the next and build up a big squad and not know what their best team is.

I thought it would have changed with Redknapp but even now they have Huddlestone, Jenas, Bentley, Modric, Zokora, Lennon, O'Hara but they chasing Downing and Palacios - good players but not offering that much that is different.

It looks like they don't know what they want up front either. Just buy Pavluchenko and Defoe, have Bent, now chasing Jones. It could be that Redknapp does not rate Bent or Pavluchenko but in general Spurs is very hit or miss.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »

The 2 years under Jol were the exception not the rule. 

Anybody who thinks there are not in serious threat of relegation needs to think again, unless their form improves quite a lot.  They have a lot of hard games towards the end of the season.  Redknapp  is not a manager to trust, if you are in with him fine if not your in trouble, he is responsible for the link to Villa, not Villa.  Spurs sack managers with all too frequent regularity and at a whim, the same with players sales.  Not a club I would be that comfortable for Kenwyne to go to, somewhere like Villa would be much better imho.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Spurs admit defeat over Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »
Spurs admit defeat over Kenwyne Jones
Northampton Chronicle

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has admitted defeat in his bid to take Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones to White Hart Lane.

Spurs offered £14m for the Trinidad and Tobago hitman, but Sunderland refused to sell and boss Ricky Sbragia said he would walk out if his best players were sold.

"The chairman made an offer for Kenwyne Jones," said Redknapp. "They don't want to sell him, so that is the end of that one," Redknapp said.

"There is nothing more you can do. He spoke to Niall Quinn.

"But they decided he is not for sale, and that is their decision."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
KJ linked with Spurs again
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 03:21:08 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1127091/EXCLUSIVE-Spurs-offer-striker-Bent-plus-6m-bait-Sunderland-hitman-Jones.html?ITO=1490

EXCLUSIVE: Spurs offer striker Bent plus £6m as bait for Sunderland hitman Jones

By Simon Jones
Last updated at 12:53 AM on 24th January 2009

Sunderland are in talks to sell Kenwyne Jones to Tottenham and receive £6million cash plus Darren Bent.

The deal has been mooted before but Tottenham were unwilling to match Sunderland’s £15m valuation of Jones and Bent was unsure if it was in his best interests to move to the North-East.

But the deal has been revived, with Spurs offering cash and Bent keen to make a fresh start after stinging criticism from manager Harry Redknapp.

Spurs will offer Sunderland £6million plus Darren Bent (left) for striker Kenwyne Jones

Sunderland boss Ricky Sbragia is reluctant to lose Jones, 24, but the offer of cash plus an England striker is tempting, particularly as Bent was on their summer wish-list.

It would also represent a huge profit on a player Sunderland bought for £6m from Southampton 18 months ago.

Bent, 24, started the season with 12 goals but has failed to score in his last seven games and realises he will not be first choice under Redknapp.

He was also upset when Redknapp claimed his wife could have scored a header the striker missed against Portsmouth. 

end

As I said last week not seen the last of this.  The only difference in the last couple of days is Sbragia gave an interview which he was going on about he was not sure whether a player had his head turned with all the speculation and he would have to wait and see.  He obviously didn't name the player and the only ones linked with bids are Kenwyne, Diouf, Richardson and Chimbonda.  I am sorry can't find the interview at the minute and I am paraphrasing it a bit but that was the general gist, the general feeling is that it was Kenwyne he was speaking about. 

My thoughts haven't really changed, if Kenwyne wants to go the club should let him providing the price is right simply because you are unsure what you are going to get for the rest of the season, some players shrug their shoulders and get on with it without any noticeable difference others just go through the motions.  I am not suggesting Kenwyne would do that I am just saying I don't know.  It would leave the club with only 1 way of playing given Cisse and Bent are similar types and no time for a replacement.  The Bent plus cash is no doubt to make up the additional cost of Bents wages over Kenwyne's to the club, not sure but just a guess and I still think Spurs would be the wrong choice for him. 

In a different paper Bent is being swapped with Carlton Cole so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Offline Father Abraham

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: KJ linked with Spurs again
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 08:31:47 AM »
tottenham is a big club with big ambitions even though they have been so disappointing this season. kenwyn and defoe would compliment each other perfectly. this would be a great switch, bigger pay check, more goals.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
and maybe back to the championship
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 08:45:57 AM »
Sunderland is just as likely as Spurs, if not more so to be relegated.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:17 AM »
looks so to me
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »
looks so to me
nah man sunderland stayin up.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
looks so to me
nah man sunderland stayin up.
I hope you are right
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »
Both Sky Sports News and ITV (another big network, like BBC) are mentioning this Spurs rumour now, seems like something might happen  :thinking:

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
Both Sky Sports News and ITV (another big network, like BBC) are mentioning this Spurs rumour now, seems like something might happen  :thinking:
Do it KJ.  If you on a ship that's sinking, its obvious to jump off to save your life and swim to sailing one. :devil:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »
Do it KJ.  If you on a ship that's sinking, its obvious to jump off to save your life and swim to sailing one. :devil:

sarcasm perhaps?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »
Harry Redknapp Confirms Tottenham Enquiry For Kenwyne Jones
The Spurs boss has revealed the North-London club have asked Sunderland about the availability of their star-striker...
Recent reports in the British press had claimed that Tottenham Hotspur were ready to offer Sunderland £6 million plus Darren Bent in exchange for Kenwyne Jones.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp has since confirmed that the North-London based outfit have made an enquiry for the Trinidad & Tobago international.

"We have made an enquiry for Jones," Redknapp revealed.

"I have no idea how far the chairman has got with it or even whether Sunderland want to do a deal."

He continued: "We are short in one or two areas.

"I had to put Heurelho Gomes on the bench (for the FA Cup tie with Manchester United) even though he is injured because the alternative goalkeeper is a 16-year-old.

"I have brought Palacios in from Wigan to give us a bit of drive and energy in midfield. When we get Jermaine Jenas and Aaron Lennon back, it will give us a bit more pace as well."

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
they wouldve won today if they had KJ in the side.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 04:48:35 PM »
they wouldve won today if they had KJ in the side.
:rotfl:

Not finished yet, never fails old Harry, last week when getting stick said it was dead, now they lose again and he drops it in again. 

The nearer it gets to closing the more Kenwyne will be worth to Spurs, should be an interesting week, see if they get to the magic number. 

Nearly all transfers are paid for over a number of years now, so Sunderland will still owe them money for the players bought in the summer from then, so any cash won't mean Spurs shelling out it will only be cancelling future expected revenue.   

Babalawo

You obviously don't watch Spurs much or the way they stroll around the pitch especially away from home, have a look at their remaining fixtures and count up how many points you think they will get.  There is also the small matter of the Carling Cup Final, which will mean the players will be trying desperately hard not to get injured. 

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 05:31:10 PM »
It would be great to have one of my countrymen play for Spurs.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »
Redknapp is ah kinda ass or what? Wha he want with Kenwyne and he no/poor-first-touch, average-pace self?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 09:45:07 PM »
Redknapp is ah kinda ass or what? Wha he want with Kenwyne and he no/poor-first-touch, average-pace self?
Fyzo, who you talkin bout there?
'arry or KJ  :devil:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »

That deal buss now. I sure Redknapp will withdraw the offer after reading that.
SW.net strikes again!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 11:30:25 PM »

I was thinking the same thing, and Sunderland should be happy, Bent and 6 million pounds.???

1]; } ?>