March 28, 2024, 10:28:49 AM

Author Topic: Sbragia scuppers Jones' Tottenham move  (Read 14720 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: KJ linked with Spurs again
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »
I give Redknapp real praise when he start at Spurs. they look good for about a month but he is an ass.

All he doing is criticizing the squad as if he didn't know where what he was getting. Plus the way he call out Bent was shitty. The man miss a header but it wasn't that bad.

Spurs no more likely to stay up than Sunderland right now.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2009, 02:38:24 AM »
I haven't got a massive problem with Kenwyne going at the reported money, especially if he wants to go and I have previously said, but I expect a bigger price yet as the window nears its end and especially if Spurs don't win their midweek game. If the money isn't right then the simple fact is the club should do what Spurs did with Berbatov and Keane and just wait until the summer.

The problem is it just means we a different option of playing style, but as I have said on many occasions our real problems lie in missing a good CM and a poor defence.  Sort the defence we will be OK.  The timing of the deal is the main worry.

If the deal involves Bent and £6 Million I would be OK with it, in reality that would mean we have swapped Kenwyne for Bent, Malbranque (probably our best player this season) and Tianio, you have to be happy with that from a team perspective.  If he goes he will go with nothing but my best wishes and thanks for keeping us up last season. 

Redknapp as I said on another thread is losing his shine with his tricks at the minute and a few of the press are having a dig.  If it does happen be warned Redknapp takes no prisoners when it comes to players.  I have pointed out for weeks what Redknapp always does with transfers and the Villa link was never a Villa link, these stories are always started by the same paper group Mail, I wonder why that is or is it just a coincidence.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/column...5875-21067120/

Harry Redknapp can't blame the players as he looks anything but classy

Brian Reade 24/01/2009

I watched an old fella suffer badly the other night.

My 71-year-old father-in-law has followed Burnley since he was a boy and as he saw his Wembley dream snatched away I felt his pain. So did our dog, and half the street.

But he quickly calmed down, reflected on how the Clarets had done their fans proud, and said: "Eh, that's football".

I then watched another old fella suffer. A 61-year-old twitching at the Sky cameras like Kevin Keegan in head-explosion mode, slagging off his players and announcing he would send out his weakest team in the up-coming FA Cup tie.

Surely that's not 'Appy 'Arry Redknapp, ace motivator and English patriot, who attacks anyone who doesn't give Her Majesty's FA Cup the respect its history demands? Could you imagine the stick a foreign manager would take if he'd said he was throwing an FA Cup tie at Old Trafford?

Particularly if he continued to refuse to speak to Her Majesty's BBC?

Imagine if he'd weaseled out of all blame for his side's poor display by publicly roasting his players and the previous management?

What would have happened if he'd humiliated a reserve goalkeeper, days after slaughtering a confidence-sapped striker?

He would have been accused of insulting British institutions and not having the character or bottle to succeed in English football, that's what.

"This is a team put together by I don't know who and I don't know how. It's scary," is Redknapp's new mantra. Yet this wasn't his tune when he took over at Spurs, drew with Arsenal and twice beat Liverpool. "We have a lot of good players," he said in October.

Now it seems he's working in a talent-free zone. His whine is not without truth. Spurs' squad is unbalanced and lacks leaders.

But with the likes of Modric, Pavlyuchenko, Lennon, Bentley, Woodgate, King, Bale and Jenas, plus the £30million he's just been allowed to spend, most coaches in Europe would willingly swap places.

So why, as his players suffer a dip in form, and they need confidence boosting does he put the boot in on them? It's because their form brings his managerial skills into question, and Harry can never let that happen.

He's got previous. When he failed to keep Southampton in the Premier League he blamed the mess he'd been left. And only this week he was reminding everyone that the players Alain Perrin bequeathed him at Portsmouth were "useless".

Redknapp's top priority is convincing the outside world that he's a class act who's been prevented from running a big club (and his country) by foreigners. Well he doesn't look too classy right now.

He didn't last year, when England scraped a draw with the Czech Republic and he put the boot in on Fabio Capello. "They're not the same players we see in the Premier League. What's happened to them?" he told TV viewers. The implication being that this foreigner can't handle our boys.

But as Capello has proved, big coaches don't waste time cosying up to the media or slagging off their players. They quietly work out how to get the best out of the talent before them.

Harry's finally achieved his ambition of managing a big team.

But he's finding it takes a bit more than wheeler-dealing, pats on backs, and a wink at the cameras.
It takes broad shoulders to carry the blame, a cool brain to work out how to put things right, and an indifference to currying favour with your critics.

The question is: Has Harry got what it takes, or is he cracking up under pressure?

end

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2009, 07:09:05 AM »
Redknapp is ah kinda ass or what? Wha he want with Kenwyne and he no/poor-first-touch, average-pace self?

That deal buss now. I sure Redknapp will withdraw the offer after reading that.
SW.net strikes again!

lol....me eh even study dat yuh know (ah was being sarcastic) but if it get redknapp to leave KJ alone, well my work here is done.

p.s i realy doh mind KJ going to spurs and playing with better midfielders.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2009, 07:15:56 AM »
KJ keep yuh tail where yuh is...Last time you and Harry were together...Southampton get relegated...and d main reason I felt Southampton got relegated iz because Harry only played u for a couple games and sent u out on loan.....dont be an ass...stay where u are .....Sunderland will up yuh salary this week to about 50,000 quid ah week.....

yuh gettin more money
yuh gettin play time...
yuh get to do d wheel

what else yuh want BLOOD...steups.....stay right dey....and thank god yuh getting back to yuh best because Sunderland take care of yuh
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2009, 08:55:38 AM »
Agree with potato roti. Say right dey KJ and put yuh foot dong. Redknapp is an unstable nomad and never stays anywhere for any length of time.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
i ent like the vibes around this move, tottenham just too unstable.  'arry might stay for a while and then leave and then leave poor KJ in limbo.  i feel he good where he is, he settled, he have the trini boys to ole talk with, he and cisse starting to gel, and the fans adore him. 

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
...  'arry might stay for a while ... 

might is the operative word, lol.

'arry doh stay anywhere for too long.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »
I give Redknapp real praise when he start at Spurs. they look good for about a month but he is an ass.

All he doing is criticizing the squad as if he didn't know where what he was getting. Plus the way he call out Bent was shitty. The man miss a header but it wasn't that bad.

:applause: well-said. Harry is ah ASS!

Personally I would prefer someone like Tevez at Spurs than KJ.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 01:38:30 PM »

Neither Tevez nor KJ fancy life in the Championship Division bro.  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2009, 03:03:01 PM »

Neither Tevez nor KJ fancy life in the Championship Division bro.  8)

:flamethrower:

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
I don't know about KJ, but Chimbonda is signing for them tomorrow, I thought he would go but must admit didn't see that one coming.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »
I don't know about KJ, but Chimbonda is signing for them tomorrow, I thought he would go but must admit didn't see that one coming.

well if that's true - then it's a shrewd move for one of the sides.
Either TH has to pay more to get Chimbonda back, or they will be paying less.
Either way one of the sides is going to pocket some money.

I don't see the hash over KJ. I say let him go to TH - and when Spurs go down, Sunderland can buy him back at a bargain too.

If they both go down .... crapaud smoke dey pipe.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »
I think it will probably be about even if I'm honest Spurs need a defender and he has been hassle (as I expected), can't see the club taking a loss when not a good time to sell.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
Kev, is there a feeling from within the Sunderland camp that Kenwyne wants to leave?
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 02:27:00 AM »
Kev, is there a feeling from within the Sunderland camp that Kenwyne wants to leave?

There is no feeling 1 way or the other tbh Andre.

Kenwyne has always been careful what he says about his future in any interviews that I have seen, which to me is fair enough.

Sbragia has come out this morning and said there is simply no way he is going anywhere and had another whinge about Spurs tactics. 

My own thoughts are its a bit of a no win situation if somebody doesn't say anything, one way or the other. Just guess work, but there was always going to be contract talks with Kenwyne in the summer regardless of any approach so the club could gauge whether to keep or sell him and Kenwyne could decide whether he wanted to extend his stay.  The timing of his injury was unlucky as no doubt if that hadn't of happened talks about his contract and wages would of taken place last summer and players being brought in are on higher wages, but not knowing how long he was out for etc it made them pointless.  If Kenwyne wants to leave my view is to sell him for as much as we can get with Bent in exchange, simply because that would only leave us Cisse up front with little back up, increasing his money etc is a pointless exercise as if he wants to go he will leave anyway in the summer if a decent offer comes in.  Its the rule rather than the exception that once a player gets itchy feet his performances suffer, its just human nature. 

At the start I said its no win unless somebody from Kenwyne's side says something, simply because if he stays and doesn't put in the performances we all know he is capable of some of the fans will take the view he is just going through the motions because he wanted to move and the likelyhood the mood will change against him.  Less relevant is if he goes and starts putting in the performances (which he should start doing because he is near enough fit) fans will say he wasn't really trying as he wanted to move.  Fans will have a dig whichever way it goes now, if Kenwyne wants to go the club would be much better saying the deal was too good to turn down rather than saying Kenwyne's heart wasn't in it. imho the club shouldn't be saying anything until they have really sorted out what Kenwyne wants.

I understand why he is coy about his future but the club need to sit down with him and find out what he wants and act accordingly, interestly I don't think this would of been allowed to get so far down track if Keane had of still been in charge.  Personally I could well understand if Kenwyne wants to move, more money, London, better exposure etc so I haven't got a big problem with it as long as the club doesn't suffer from it.  I think we would miss him, but its manageable, the deal in my view would be totally unacceptable without Bent.   

Sorry it was a rambling reply

Update

There was just a news conference (game) asked about Kenwyne, Sbragia said Kenwyne was "Cooled and Chilled" about the speculation, he is happy and he is not for sale. Read into that what you will, still don't think it is the end of it, I suspect it will run until the deadline, will KJ still be a Sunderland player next month, I haven't got a clue.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:40:29 AM by kev »

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:34 AM »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4850649,00.html

Sbragia - Jones is happy
Black Cats boss says club will not sell to relegation rivals

Jones: Bright and positive

Ricky Sbragia is confident Kenwyne Jones is happy to stay at Sunderland following interest from Tottenham Hotspur.

Sunderland have rejected a bid from Spurs for the Trinidad & Tobago striker, with Sbragia unhappy with the Carling Cup finalists' methods.

He insists there is no chance of the Black Cats selling the former Southampton youngster to another club fighting against relegation.

And Sbragia also believes that, following talks with Jones, the forward has no problems in staying at the Stadium of Light.
Bright and positive

"They are still coming back and doing it again," said Sbragia regarding Spurs' interest. "They're trying to get into the player's head and maybe trying to work the agent a bit more.

"On many occasions we've said no to Spurs. We spoke to Kenwyne on Friday and he's happy here.

"We asked him if the situation had been a problem and he said no. He has never shown once that he doesn't want to be here.

"Niall (Quinn, chairman) was there when I spoke to him. Kenwyne was bright and positive.

"But there's been a lot of pressure put on him which I think is completely wrong. Well, he won't be going. No way.

"I could understand if it was a top-four club, or maybe even Villa and Everton, but I can't understand the Spurs thing. I can't see why we should sell players to clubs in the same situation as ours."

end

Yet happy to sell them Chimbonda, it gets stranger by the day and Sbragia is out of his depth.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2009, 06:40:20 AM »
I was just going to comment on the chimbonda situation because i think Sbragia made himself into an ass based on what he said about the kenwyne situation.

But maybe Chimbonda made it clear that he wanted to go, and he probably had that sort of clause in his contract.

Harry-mainia is over at Tottenham and we are beginning to see how badly off Tottenham really are.  It would be not in Kenwyne's best interests for him to go there. 

As the paper said, maybe a top four club or one of the high flying top 6ers like Everton or Aston Villa, but not that troublesome place in London.

Interestingly enough, i am curious to know how much impact his family will have on his decision since London appears to be the be all and end all of going to England.....

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2009, 07:48:14 AM »
Not mentioned the Chimbonda situation on here because no one is interested, but he has just been working his ticket even when Keane was here hence being dropped etc, his agent has been trying to get a move, he was linked with Lyon last month and came out with a statement that he would walk there to play.  Its really strange because he needed shifting as he is a trouble maker and I suppose its a sign of how desperate Spurs are that they were willing to take him back, not many / any other  willing takers. 

As for London, I suppose its great if you are single but not the best place to bring up a family, it really depends what Kenwyne and his family prefer, there are pro's and con's to all places to live.  I just never really gained the impression from the way Kenwyne conducts himself that he is particularly bothered about things that tend to switch people onto London, nightlife, in crowd, shops etc.

It comes across as the b all and end all of everything in terms of football, because of the number of clubs and press bias tbh.  Especially for foriegn players because I think there are more foriegn people in London than English so I suppose they always have some people around somewhere from their native country, which is probably not the case in lots of places in the UK.

Snippet from the press conference re KJ

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/video.aspx?VideoPath=SEJJ/ricky%20on%20kenwyne.wmv&VideoID=30924&ArticleID=4913594
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:36:05 AM by kev »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sbragia scuppers Jones' Tottenham move
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
HARRY IS AT IT AGAIN......

www.skysports.com

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp admits he would be a 'liar' if he said he would not like to see Robbie Keane return to White Hart Lane.

The £20million Liverpool striker has flopped at Anfield since swapping North London for Merseyside in the summer and rumour is rife that he could be sold in January.

Keane was left out of Rafa Benitez's squad for Sunday's FA Cup draw with Everton, increasing speculation that the Reds boss is ready to cut his loses.

The Republic of Ireland international has been strongly linked with a move back to Tottenham, who are also chasing Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones, and Spurs boss Redknapp admits he would be interested if Keane was for sale.

"I wouldn't sit here and say I wouldn't like to have Robbie Keane at my football club, I'd be a liar, but he belongs to Liverpool so it is not an option unfortunately," Redknapp said.

"As a player and a person I have a lot of time for Robbie Keane. I think he's fantastic."

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 12:49:56 PM »
nah.. no Keane.

Truly test times as a facking fan.

arry needs to keep he c**t quiet. Chasing players and making remarks (maybe it's just the press). The players Spurs have eh no less good as any of the teams below the top 5 teams in the league. And I would even venture to say that some are just as good as the top teams. arry get ah lil success when he juss reach and he have no idea what to do now to get some results.

he's just a coach that looks ordinary now and have no clue what to do next. Spurs need someone like Stuart Pearce.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »
The comments attributed to Harry may be the quotes that are published by the newspaper because it carries the most weight ..... but it's the UK press we're talking about - the masters of gossip. You have to speculate how much of this is drawn up and circulated by the players' agents.

Also, it's the transfer window - so Harry having a wishlist of players he thinks will improve TH chances of surviving relegation would be in his best interest. Harry isn't going about courting players any differently from the team that currently sits on top of the EPL.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
Harry isn't going about courting players any differently from the team that currently sits on top of the EPL.
:o
heavens, now you have hit de maribunta manubunta nest head on :devil:
quick, grab this
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:48:09 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »
The comments attributed to Harry may be the quotes that are published by the newspaper because it carries the most weight ..... but it's the UK press we're talking about - the masters of gossip. You have to speculate how much of this is drawn up and circulated by the players' agents.

Also, it's the transfer window - so Harry having a wishlist of players he thinks will improve TH chances of surviving relegation would be in his best interest. Harry isn't going about courting players any differently from the team that currently sits on top of the EPL.

The comments are taking from the pre match press conference and are on video.  His usual response is he is answering a question, but it changes on who asks the question, which player and club is involved and whether he wants it public knowledge or not.  Last week after some stick it was unfair of him to comment on other teams players, can't have it always.  In reality the press and clubs/ managers are hand in hand it would be no shock to find out a manager or Redknapp if you prefer had asked a reporter to ask him about a particular player in a press conference, maybe me just being cynical, but surely that would never happen would it. ::)

There is only one way to stop this tapping up and that is to bar the managers / clubs from commenting either way on speculation, this problem increases every transfer window and clubs are getting fed up with it so I suspect its only a matter of time.   Big fine or even point deduction would stop it dead in its tracks.  It still wouldn't stop the players, managers, agents and press doing what they are doing now, but would stop the blatant stuff in press conferences.

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »
Hmmm, I have been watching this drama unfold with interest. As far as I know, KJ is happy where he is. He has ambitions like anybody else, but he is smart enough to know what is best in the long run.

As for London life, KJ comes down to London and party when he feels to. When Sunderland play in London he may or may not take the opportunity to stay over that night and hang out. His family is happy and settled, and friends often go up to the north east to hang out.

I usually get the 'tory long before the media break de news. lol And so far, there hasn't been a word on this. Just amusement at the interest and media hype, and maybe a bit of growing annoyance. lol
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
somehow ah find the rejection coming eh forthright enough from the Sunderland board and we eh hearing nutten from KJ himself.. he and all sounding kinda lukewarm about the whole scene..

i for one find this would be a shit move. Its not like he leaving for better right now, that Spurs ship sinking. I believe he would have much better options on the table at the end of the season.

All i looking to hear is a, "i'm not going anywhere, i'm happy here" from KJ, or a "he is not for sale!" from Quinn. We all no it doh matter what Sbragia say.

i hope this doh turn into a midnight deadline day deal.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
somehow ah find the rejection coming eh forthright enough from the Sunderland board and we eh hearing nutten from KJ himself.. he and all sounding kinda lukewarm about the whole scene..

i for one find this would be a shit move. Its not like he leaving for better right now, that Spurs ship sinking. I believe he would have much better options on the table at the end of the season.

All i looking to hear is a, "i'm not going anywhere, i'm happy here" from KJ, or a "he is not for sale!" from Quinn. We all no it doh matter what Sbragia say.

remember the last time he moved he did not play a game
well if he does not play against Fulham the rumour mill will be going stronger imho
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »
omarldinho  don't think its the end of it, interesting what redtrinigirl has said and as I have been saying for weeks about generating rumours.  The only thing KJ has reportedly said is in the video clip above which Sbragia says Quinn has spoken to Kenwyne about it, whether you care to believe it, its really upto you.

You really have to give it to Redknapp, he must smell the pressure heading his way after the Keane comments, and this is laughable, apparently despite hawking Bent inferring we are unsettling him :rotfl:

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfer_clockwatch/0,23710,14896,00.html?reloaded

Monday Transfer Clockwatch

Last updated: 26th January 2009

22.36 Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has reacted to accusations of deliberately unsettling Kenwyne Jones by suggesting Sunderland have targeted Darren Bent.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2009, 04:59:45 PM »

remember the last time he moved he did not play a game
well if he does not play against Fulham the rumour mill will be going stronger imho

he will play, don't think it makes any difference Chimbonda played on Saturday and he's gone, Leadbetter was captain and he looks like going this week (although understandable given the circumstances)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »
Sorry but this just appeared so you takes your choice on which version you believe, personally having seen Redknapp for a number of years do this it isn't him for me.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/tottenham/article5594062.ece

Harry Redknapp angered by Sunderland tactics

Tottenham Hotspur manager accuses the Wearside club of double standards over their bid to sign striker Darren Bent

Harry Redknapp accused Sunderland of double standards last night over their attempts to sign Darren Bent. The Tottenham Hotspur manager reacted angrily to Sunderland's charge that the North London club had led a concerted attempt to unsettle Kenwyne Jones by alleging that the Wearside club had pursued their interest in Bent without Spurs' knowledge and approval.

Tottenham, who entertain Stoke City at White Hart Lane tonight, had offered Bent in part exchange for Jones, the Trinidad & Tobago striker, during discussions between the clubs two weeks ago, but the deal appeared to have died when Sunderland insisted that Jones was not for sale. However, Redknapp claimed that Sunderland have been speaking to Bent's representatives about a possible transfer, after being told so by the forward.

“Darren came to see me to say, ‘I hear Sunderland want me, what do you know?'” Redknapp said. “I said, ‘I haven't spoken to anyone and if they are interested they will have to ring the chairman.' He said, ‘Well, my agent says they want me.' So someone is talking to someone. I could say they [Sunderland] have done the same thing to Darren Bent because his agent has obviously been talking to someone at Sunderland to know they are interested. So if they are mentioning Darren Bent, why are they mentioning Darren Bent? Is someone upsetting Darren Bent?”

The wrangle will strain further Redknapp's relationship with Bent, who was angered when his manager joked that his wife could have scored with the kind of free header that the striker missed against Portsmouth nine days ago.

Redknapp said that the club were encouraged to show interest in Jones because Sunderland had sent out mixed signals about the player's future. Tottenham were reported to have been prepared to pay £15 million for the player, who had moved from Southampton to Sunderland for £6million at the beginning of last season, but that deal appears to be dead. “Last night he [Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman] thought that Jones had signed a new contract at Sunderland, so I think the deal's off,” Redknapp said.

Responding to suggestions that Spurs had sought to unsettle Jones, Redknapp said that there had been discussions about a deal between the two chairmen. “I don't know why Niall Quinn is talking to Daniel if they don't want to sell him,” Redknapp said. “Why do you talk to someone if you don't want to sell someone?”

Jones is among a number of forwards whom Tottenham have tried unsuccessfully to sign, with the club drawing a blank in their efforts to lure Carlton Cole and Craig Bellamy to White Hart Lane.

Redknapp remains keen on Fred, the Brazil striker, whose agents have claimed that Tottenham have offered the player a 4-year contract worth £50,000 a week to sign from Lyons. The French side hope to receive £8million, with clubs in Spain interested, despite him being out of contract this summer.

Tottenham have, however, signed Pascal Chimbonda, the full back, from Sunderland and Carlo Cudicini, the goalkeeper, on a free transfer from Chelsea yesterday. Cudicini could make his debut against Stoke this evening because Heurelho Gomes is a doubt with a thigh injury. Chimbonda was not registered in time to play and Wilson Palacios, the midfield player who joined from Wigan Athletic last week, is suspended.

Stoke have used a four-day training camp in Dubai to integrate James Beattie, the forward, and Matthew Etherington, the former Tottenham left winger, who were signed this month. Both clubs are among the five teams languishing on 21 points at the foot of the table.

Tottenham Hotspur (possible; 4-4-2): C Cudicini — V Corluka, M Dawson, J Woodgate, B Assou-Ekotto — A Lennon, T Huddlestone, D Zokora, L Modric — J Defoe, R Pavlyuchenko.

Stoke City (possible; 4-4-2): T Sorensen — A Wilkinson, R Shawcross, Abdoulaye Faye, D Higginbotham — R Delap, G Whelan, Amdy Faye, M Etherington — R Cresswell, J Beattie.

Referee: M Riley.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »
I have frequently wondered why 'Arry ALWAYS has a "Stale Drunk" look :devil:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>