April 29, 2024, 06:46:39 AM

Author Topic: Questions for the fans of perennially successful EPL teams..  (Read 5395 times)

Offline LondonTrini LFC

• El mejor...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Rafa is Magic
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for the fans of perennially successful EPL teams..
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:59 AM »
buh still

wha does it take for a small side (wid passion, skills and no money) to win de Title?...

huh?... wha?...

is it de system, chemistry, concentration?... tactics?... hours training on the pitch working on set pieces?...

because surely, dey cyah compete on de cyash front...
Shut up Sven...

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »
buh still

wha does it take for a small side (wid passion, skills and no money) to win de Title?...

huh?... wha?...

is it de system, chemistry, concentration?... tactics?... hours training on the pitch working on set pieces?...

because surely, dey cyah compete on de cyash front...

Before money became the over-riding factor, you had sides like Blackburn and Newcastle contending. Back in the 80s, Villa was up there.
Since then, you can compete for part of the season running on passion, skills and no money - but then you start falling off. Case in point: Hull City

The one issue that seems to stick is depth/ quality.
In a league that is as long, physical and demanding as the EPL & various Cups, teams need to be able to cope with injuries of crucial players for critical stretches of time. How they cope with that and fill the void effectively is intrinsically tied to their overall success.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »
a bit off topic, but in this age or mercenaries, i find this story to be heartwarming..

Podolski to return to Cologne

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9100848/Podolski-to-return-to-Cologne

BERLIN (AP) - Germany striker Lukas Podolski will return to FC Cologne from Bayern Munich next season.

Podolski will join Cologne on July 1 on a four-year contract, the club announced Monday. It said the two clubs had agreed not to disclose details of the deal.

Podolski moved to Bayern from Cologne after the 2006 World Cup but has been unable to establish himself as a starter with the defending Bundesliga champions.

"It's a milestone in the history of FC Cologne," coach Christoph Daum said.

Cologne Mayor Fritz Schramma said Podolski belonged to Cologne just "like the Cathedral belongs to Cologne."

The German media speculated that Podolski's return cost Cologne €10 million ($13.27 million), the same amount in euros it received from Bayern for his transfer.

The 23-year-old striker's future has been at the center of intense speculation in Germany over recent months. It was fueled further by Bayern's recent announcement that it would bring in Croatia forward Ivica Olic from Hamburger SV next season and by the signing on loan of United States striker Landon Donovan.

"I am glad that the decision about my sporting future has been made and the speculation about me has come to an end," the Polish-born Podolski said. "I am looking forward to the challenge. Until the summer, I will concentrate entirely on Bayern."

Newly promoted Cologne went into the 18-team Bundesliga's winter break in 11th place.

"(Podolski) followed his heart," Cologne president Wolfgang Overath said. "I am very glad that we, as a promoted team, were able to sign a Germany national player like Lukas Podolski."

Podolski has 60 games and 31 goals for Germany but he only scored 12 goals in 58 Bundesliga games for Bayern.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
I could never understand Donovan in front of Podolski.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »
a bit off topic, but in this age or mercenaries, i find this story to be heartwarming..

how is this heartwarming? he's not happy at his current club and went back home at the ripe old age of 23. I not blaming him or judging him..it may be the best move for his career. But it wasn't heartwarming when Landon Donavon couldn't cut it at Bayer and went home to LA. I know people will say Koln still in the Bundesliga..but it's essentially the same thing. Tail between legs...home time. I also haven't seen anything about what Cologne is paying him. The transfer fee is pretty much the same as when he left. WOuld it be heartwarming if Cologne is going to pay him the same amount or more than Bayern? I wish him the best and from what I understand...the fans there still adore him. But this isn't necessarily the case of a man who was lighting it up at Bayern, then at his peak decided to help out is home team. It's a youth who didn't like riding pine at his first real challenge at a world class club and returned to the same club he left when they got relegated...at 23, to resurrect his career..and probably move on if he ever gets the chance. Omar..you may very well be right..I'm just playing devil's advocate, cuz I haven't seen anything to suggest he doing it purely cuz he loves his home club.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:23:44 PM by Filho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »

how is this heartwarming? he's not happy at his current club and went back home at the ripe old age of 23. I not blaming him or judging him..it may be the best move for his career. But it wasn't heartwarming when Landon Donavon couldn't cut it at Bayer and went home to LA. I know people will say Koln still in the Bundesliga..but it's essentially the same thing. Tail between legs...home time. I also haven't seen anything about what Cologne is paying him. The transfer fee is pretty much the same as when he left. WOuld it be heartwarming if Cologne is going to pay him the same amount or more than Bayern? I wish him the best and from what I understand...the fans there still adore him. But this isn't necessarily the case of a man who was lighting it up at Bayern, then at his peak decided to help out is home team. It's a youth who didn't like riding pine at his first real challenge at a world class club and returned to the same club he left when they got relegated...at 23, to resurrect his career..and probably move on if he ever gets the chance. Omar..you may very well be right..I'm just playing devil's advocate, cuz I haven't seen anything to suggest he doing it purely cuz he loves his home club.

good points..

heartwarming might be a stretch, but imo with things not working out at Bayern, Podolski has been in demand from some mid table to top tier EPL clubs and probably had other excellent options around Europe. He couldve probably gone somewhere else for more money, more prestige and a different challenge but instead he decided to return to his hometown club. The fact that Bayern accepted nothing more than they paid for a player that, given his age and reputation, is probably worth at least double what they paid for him is also noble in my eyes.

And for heaven's sake Filho, lets not call shitong Donovan's name in the same sentence as Podolski. Chalk and cheese. Unlike Podolski, Donovan is a player who was not rated and not wanted on the biggest stage and cried off to go back to a vastly inferior league. Podolski's pedigree is not in doubt.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
I could never understand Donovan in front of Podolski.

My take on it is that Donavan was never really going to get a sweat in front of Podolski...Bayern brought in Podolski as a 21 year old to fight for places with Klose and Toni. His success with the national team meant he felt entitled to start....while most strikers his age would probably have seen it as a learning experience and realized that he had to put his head down and take his chances. Once Podolski started to whine to the press..Bayern started to look elsewhere. It didn't help that Uli Hoeness is a press loving, arrogant loudmouth he handled the situation poorly and bad-mouthed Podolski to the German media as well. But Bayern gave up on Podolski before they started to make moves for Donovan. In all seriousness..I'm just surprised Donavan is at bayern period..But I think he is Klinsmann's pet project.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »
..I'm just surprised Donavan is at bayern period..But I think he is Klinsmann's pet project.

lol. Maybe just returning the favour for Donovan house-sitting for him in Cali.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »

And for heaven's sake Filho, lets not call shitong Donovan's name in the same sentence as Podolski. Chalk and cheese. Unlike Podolski, Donovan is a player who was not rated and not wanted on the biggest stage and cried off to go back to a vastly inferior league. Podolski's pedigree is not in doubt.

Omar..you and I both know that was not the parallel I was making when I mentioned Donavan. Donavan went back home when he couldn't handled riding pine at Bayer. It's not a stretch to say Podolski is doing the same.

I also would question whather any better offers were made. I would guess that Bayern would have been hesitant to sell him to a Bundesliga club, for fear of him coming back to poison them. I think if they could have gotten more money from a team outside Germany, they would have seriously considered it. I've only read of other German teams that wanted him. I've also read that Cologne made all the moves..I don't think Podolski ever issued a come and get me from his old club. Plus Podolski is leaving cuz he not playing, so I don't think he interested in any 'challenges', especially with WC 2010 around the corner...I would guess Cologne is the one place he could come close to a guarantee of starting and be constantly in front of Lowe.

I don't have the details though..that's why I made it clear I just playing devil's advocate.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:46:18 PM by Filho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »

Omar..you and I both know that was not the parrallel I was making when I mentioned Donavan. Donavan went back home when he couldn't handled riding pine at Bayer. It's not a stretch to say Podolski is doing the same. I don't have the details though..that's why I made it clear I just playing devil's advocate

cool scene... ah just have ah personal with donavan..

shitong.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 01:47:01 PM »

Omar..you and I both know that was not the parrallel I was making when I mentioned Donavan. Donavan went back home when he couldn't handled riding pine at Bayer. It's not a stretch to say Podolski is doing the same. I don't have the details though..that's why I made it clear I just playing devil's advocate

shitong.

cool ting..check meh edits..yuh respond before I could finish

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »

shitong.

cool ting..check meh edits..yuh respond before I could finish

yeah well word was that Man City and Spurs wanted him and I would hazard a guess that he wouldn't go for less than 15 mil pounds in the market. Also rumors of interest from AC Milan.

Was just kinda unfortunate for him how the whole scene play off at Bayern, being behind Toni and Klose in the pecking order. But i would like to see him back ripping on a week to week basis.

1]; } ?>