April 19, 2024, 11:02:59 PM

Author Topic: Julio Baptista...Football's biggest enigma?  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Julio Baptista...Football's biggest enigma?
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
Is Julio Baptista the biggest enigma in world football today? Here is a footballer who sometimes looks like he has the first touch of an elephant. Yet he is a mainstay in the Brazilian national team...big teams in Europe want him. Started his career as a defensive midfielder and then became one of the most feared strikers in La Liga. Only to be hot and cold at Madrid and Arsenal. Yet..when he find a groove..the Beast is simply unplayable. Those who watched the most recent Copa America will know that he was Brazil's mvp in the knockout phase..and right now for Roma, he is balling like an absolute flecking general.

What is allyuh opinion on this player? and what other players have an equally perplexing profile?

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Julio Baptista...Football's biggest enigma?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:48:26 PM »
the only thing that can explain such ups  and downs is a lack of confidence.  i think anelka up there with him, but like baptista he start off d season hot.

a next thing is some players will only play best if they are the go to men on the team. when they are not the star of the squad then comes the great inconsistencies
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:50:05 PM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
as we on this topic what happened to portillio and savviola ? they promised so so much
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »
this man score a hatrick against liverpool in the fa cup for arsenal... and the bad thing as he could have made more (missed a penalty i think) but arsenal fans lambasted him for his poor first touch (both for an arsenal player and for a brazilian)... he does have touches, is fearless and seems to have a good attitude but, like most ballers, needs confidence. he is not a sulker like anelka though.  

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »
Technically he often looks kinda raw, but athletically he's second to none. 

I think he's enjoying his football at Roma- noticed it recently- he's found a groove and playing very well....After Vucinic I think he's been Roma's best player this season so far.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
well ...is football.. only football knows
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
Yea i think that the world has come to expect all brazilian attacking players be requisted with skill and finesse regardless of other attributes, hence why players like Baptista and to some extent Adroano seemed to be not as highly rated but if fitted into the right system can be very effective...

This is beauty of the game to me, the ability to harbour the strengths of individual players to create a team effort. I think its one of the nuances of the game still underexploited today especially at the youth levels.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:34:34 PM »
Julio Baptista is jus another example of how funny d game of football is or sport in general.A player will be playing great football 4 a small club and make a big money move to a bigger club and their careers just go in reverse.They sometime show flashes of brilliance,but neva totally d same.
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:43:37 PM »
this man score a hatrick against liverpool in the fa cup for arsenal... and the bad thing as he could have made more (missed a penalty i think) but arsenal fans lambasted him for his poor first touch (both for an arsenal player and for a brazilian)... he does have touches, is fearless and seems to have a good attitude but, like most ballers, needs confidence. he is not a sulker like anelka though.  

Yeah bredrin, ah NOT feeling freakazoid even mentioning Anelka in de same sentence.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Allyuh see he Golaso today fuh Roma against Torino?   In 90th min stoppage time to boot!  PRESSHA!!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5AZFkhJ9-ks" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5AZFkhJ9-ks</a>
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
He wearing ah nice #19 tshirt... ;D

Like he borrow dat from Dwight
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
I think we need to start a goal of the week thread ..... I real like Messi goal ... but Julio Baptista might beat him out in style points, and degree of difficulty.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 06:39:23 AM »
I think we need to start a goal of the week thread ..... I real like Messi goal ... but Julio Baptista might beat him out in style points, and degree of difficulty.

Julio Baptista scores some amazing goals. Goal for goal..his highlight reels are second to none. When de man strike..is usually a piece of niceness.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 06:44:29 AM »
Yea i think that the world has come to expect all brazilian attacking players be requisted with skill and finesse regardless of other attributes, hence why players like Baptista and to some extent Adroano seemed to be not as highly rated but if fitted into the right system can be very effective...

This is beauty of the game to me, the ability to harbour the strengths of individual players to create a team effort. I think its one of the nuances of the game still underexploited today especially at the youth levels.

g. you have a very good point. but imo Julio is one of the most versatile players out there who fits into just about any system and can play attacking mid, wide mid, or as an out and out striker. Also seen him play well as a defensive mid in his early days. I actually highly rate Adriano....and really starting to rate Julio. Despite their obvious strength and speed, I find them to be technically gifted as well. I just find few players have the wide range of performance as he does. When Julio playing at his best..he is unplayable..nobody can take the ball off him. And if you see touches, beat, vision and eh frighten to pelt a frame. BUt when he off..is like he cyah even trap the ball (slight exaggeration ;))
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:49:07 AM by Filho »

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
Allyuh see he Golaso today fuh Roma against Torino?   In 90th min stoppage time to boot!  PRESSHA!!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5AZFkhJ9-ks" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5AZFkhJ9-ks</a>

wayyyyy boy

I not hear bout the goal, I now watch it for the first time

Right before he slap it he hear the ESPN tunnnuuunnnuuuhtt tuhhhnuuuhnuuuut.

Més que un club.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 07:25:38 AM »
I think we  have to be fair to him. at Real and Arsenal he seldom played enough to find his groove. This is especially true of strikers, they need to play more consistently and as was reported, he is not a natural striker, he learned to play the position late.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 09:14:43 AM »
I think we  have to be fair to him. at Real and Arsenal he seldom played enough to find his groove. This is especially true of strikers, they need to play more consistently and as was reported, he is not a natural striker, he learned to play the position late.

good piont. by his 3rd season at Real (2nd when you count he was at Arsenal in the 2nd year of his contract)..he really rounded into form and he became a regular starter by middle of the season. and this after Real Madrid said they didn't want him and were trying hard to sell him in the pre-season. can't forget how he poison Barca at Camp Nou  :-\

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 09:16:46 AM »
what a goal..

Julio Baptista is the biggest enigma in football after Hardest.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 09:32:40 AM »

WOW!!

If Totti could get healthy....Mirko, Totti & Baptista would be a tough train to stop when at full pelt...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »
what a goal..

How Hardest is ah enigma??

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
what a goal..

How Hardest is ah enigma??

Because he's a footballing nobody who on this message board, gets the attention of a star player.....

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »

Because he's a footballing nobody who on this message board, gets the attention of a star player.....

I would say he is more an anomaly than an enigma.

Hardest eh hard to figure out. He like rum, he doh like to train and he full ah excuses.

Més que un club.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »

I would say he is more an anomaly than an enigma.

Hardest eh hard to figure out. He like rum, he doh like to train and he full ah excuses.
u just describe half a T & T there
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 04:05:23 AM »

WOW!!

If Totti could get healthy....Mirko, Totti & Baptista would be a tough train to stop when at full pelt...

yeah i worried for arsenal playing off against roma in champs league,tough draw

1]; } ?>