April 28, 2024, 03:11:45 PM

Author Topic: Biggest Rivalry in Football?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest Rivalry in Football?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »
3. Again, if we talking 'biggest'... how do you measure that if not by history, scope and intensity?  ???

I hear yuh breds

One thing you are forgetting is scale - sheer number of fans who are abnormally moved by the rivalry. That can add to the intensity and the spectacle. And in that measure, Rangers vs Celtic is dwarfed by quite a few rivalries.

History is important, but, like I said, some of the most poisonous rivalries come from nothing serious enough to warrant the animosity. It hard to measure these things. Everyone will have a different answer and not necessarily wrong. My only point is that there are club rivalries that match Celtci V Rangers and Real vs Barca. and there's not always simple math behind it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »
3. Again, if we talking 'biggest'... how do you measure that if not by history, scope and intensity?  ???

I hear yuh breds

One thing you are forgetting is scale - sheer number of fans who are abnormally moved by the rivalry. That can add to the intensity and the spectacle. And in that measure, Rangers vs Celtic is dwarfed by quite a few rivalries.

History is important, but, like I said, some of the most poisonous rivalries come from nothing serious enough to warrant the animosity. It hard to measure these things. Everyone will have a different answer and not necessarily wrong. My only point is that there are club rivalries that match Celtci V Rangers and Real vs Barca. and there's not always simple math behind it.

That's definitely true... agreed also that often is small trivial matters that feed the hostilities.

I seriously doubt we see the same type of fervour in other sports that we see with these football rivalries .... doesn't seem as intense.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 02:50:55 PM »

Yeah Celtic-Rangers is up there, above Real-Barca in my opinion but I would put River-Boca above both of them.

Celtic Rangers has waned in intensity a lot in the past 20 years.

I doh feel the rivalry is less intense off the pitch..but on the pitch maybe you have more foreign players who play a less 'scottish style'. dunno. Seems like everyone still gets up for the game and the tacxkles come fast and hard..but maybe it's a little different now that it's not just 11 catholics vs 11 protestants from Glasgow (and the two Irelands)

Nah, it has cooled down alot off the pitch...the religious element of it is less intense. People used to get stab up and killed, both in Glasgow and even moreso in Northern Ireland. Football was just a medium to express religious hatred.

Things eh really too bad in Glasgow anymore. The Rangers headquarters in Belfast still looks like a war bunker tho, lol.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:59 PM »

Yeah Celtic-Rangers is up there, above Real-Barca in my opinion but I would put River-Boca above both of them.

Celtic Rangers has waned in intensity a lot in the past 20 years.

I doh feel the rivalry is less intense off the pitch..but on the pitch maybe you have more foreign players who play a less 'scottish style'. dunno. Seems like everyone still gets up for the game and the tacxkles come fast and hard..but maybe it's a little different now that it's not just 11 catholics vs 11 protestants from Glasgow (and the two Irelands)

Nah, it has cooled down alot off the pitch...the religious element of it is less intense. People used to get stab up and killed, both in Glasgow and even moreso in Northern Ireland. Football was just a medium to express religious hatred.

Things eh really too bad in Glasgow anymore. The Rangers headquarters in Belfast still looks like a war bunker tho, lol.

That's what I was thinking as well. generally the fan base has gotten more secular and can't be bothered with Catholic/Protestant BS which used to fuel the pasison.

I remember when Mo Johnston went to Rangers his religion was as big a deal as Kaka going to City. Now nobody even mentions Old Firm players' religions.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »
That's what I was thinking as well. generally the fan base has gotten more secular and can't be bothered with Catholic/Protestant BS which used to fuel the pasison.

I remember when Mo Johnston went to Rangers his religion was as big a deal as Kaka going to City. Now nobody even mentions Old Firm players' religions.

Remember too the calming of tensions between the UK government and the IRA... much of that was religion driven and played out in the Old Firm rivalry.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 08:18:43 PM »
Football Rivalries-Barcelona v Real Madrid

Part 1
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q1rI2i433q0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/q1rI2i433q0</a>

Part 2
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9aCcuN0Nv3Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9aCcuN0Nv3Q</a>

Part 3
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xDuB8PfQNp8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xDuB8PfQNp8</a>

Més que un club.

Offline LondonTrini LFC

• El mejor...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Rafa is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 03:10:47 AM »
well... it's never a "friendly" between England and Germany now is it?..
Shut up Sven...

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 05:12:32 AM »
BM Here....as allyuh mention  Germany vz Poland...  I actually went to that match at the world cup in Germany
hear meh... you could feel,smell and taste the tension..all on the train, the stadium and back...real real tension... i had to just keep eyes on small mag all the time...crazy feeling
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:14:42 AM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »
Yeah I saw some Polish fans get their ass kick in the train station, but it was small ting
compared to what I have seen in South America and Europe
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
Mascherano on Derbies:

Mascherano has not finished on a losing side against Everton, and has plenty of experience of derby battles from his days in South America with River Plate and Corinthians.

He said: "I have played in some great derbies in the world and they are all unique occasions in their own right.

"In Argentina I played for River Plate against Boca Juniors many, many times. That is the biggest derby match of them all back home.

"I have won some and lost some. Nothing compares to River versus Boca. They are always competitive and the fans are in the stadium half a day before kick-off.

"The city would virtually stand still waiting for the result. And playing for Corinthians (in Brazil) the derbies got even crazier. Their derby is with Palmeiras and if you lose you can't go out for weeks."

Now he is relishing Merseyside derbies, adding: "I haven't lost to Everton in my Liverpool career. Every player loves being in the big games and I am the same.

"They bring the very best out of everyone. These derbies, though, are more civilised in England, people know you can win or lose. In Argentina and Brazil they have a different mentality and winning is all they understand."

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 06:25:32 PM »

"They bring the very best out of everyone. These derbies, though, are more civilised in England, people know you can win or lose. In Argentina and Brazil they have a different mentality and winning is all they understand."[/i]

haha  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
fifa vs PES ::)
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

1]; } ?>