April 18, 2024, 12:40:26 PM

Author Topic: St Ann's Rangers midfielder to do community service.  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
St Ann's Rangers midfielder to do community service.
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:38 AM »
Modeste to do community service.
T&T Guardian Reports.

St Ann’s Rangers’ Devon Modeste has been ordered to do six months of community service as part of his penalties for violent conduct and unsporting behaviour in the 2008 Toyota Classic final. Modeste was sanctioned following his team’s match-up against eventual winners Clico San Juan Jabloteh at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo. Following last week’s committee meeting, the Belmont Orphanage will be afforded the services of the 24-year-old midfielder during this period. Modeste’s penalties, which were in accordance to the Fifa disciplinary codes and adjudged by the TT Pro League’s Disciplinary Committee.

The Committee also went further to include a four-match suspension at the beginning of the 2009 season and written apologies to the League, referee Russell Cassimire, Rangers’ owner Richard Fakoory and his team-mates. Most importantly, he has been placed on a five month probationary period, beginning in April, during which any new offences will be strongly sanctioned. Modeste was charged with violent conduct and unsporting behaviour in the 2008 Toyota Classic final at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in which his team lost 2-1 against Jabloteh. Modest picked up back to back yellow cards in the 83rd and 84th minutes for dissent and unsporting behaviour respectively which led to his ejection.

His charges went further after he struck the ball into the referee and removed two corner flags on his way to the players’ tunnel. “It is something that I regret and will endeavour to ensure that it never happens again,” Modeste said over his actions. “I feel that it is a fair judgement,” continued the 24-year-old on realising the penalties he now faces. “I don’t think that it’s too much. I understand that the things that I have done in the final were wrong, so I understand that penalties had to follow.” He will also give back to his club, assisting St Ann’s Rangers youth development for a period of six months as part of his penalties.

Modeste believes that the 2008 season was a trying one for the Rangers on and off the pitch as they finished seventh in the domestic League. Their best at the knockout stage came in the Toyota Classic, finishing runners-up. Although he accepted his penalties, Modeste admitted that it would be tough to have to miss matches on suspension and wished that he was able to start the season for his club. With transfers always present around the pre-season, he assured that he will be available for Rangers in 2009.

Devon Modeste has been ordered to do six months of community service.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: St Ann's Rangers midfielder to do community service.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:04:18 AM »
That might be the best thing that happen to this young man.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:32:52 AM »
That might be the best thing that happen to this young man.

I like the penalties... and applaud his contrition.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:38:19 AM »
Let's hope that his contrition is genuine and that he will improve as he moves on from this. Hopefully the orphanage and Rangers Youth Development gain something from his time with them.

Offline FineMan

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Modeste to do community service
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:28:23 PM »
I don't see how this is a punishment, shouldn't professioanl players have a social responsibilty to give back to the community and shouldn't he already be helping with youth development at his club.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:32:31 AM »
i saw the scene live... he real get on bad...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »
I don't see how this is a punishment, shouldn't professioanl players have a social responsibilty to give back to the community and shouldn't he already be helping with youth development at his club.

Do YOU have a social responsibility to give back etc.? Pay careful attention to the meaning of responsibility.

Secondly, it is punishment because for the next 6 months his time is not his own... that and the suspension from the field.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:31:53 AM »

we all have the same 'responsibility'..professional athlete or not

Offline FineMan

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 05:51:56 PM »
Don't get it twisted I live a life of service. I thought at primary and highschool in Tobago right after leaving A levels. I coached primary school football, I was a volunteer coach at St. Clairs C.S. While in college in the states i was a member of numerous organizations doing my fair share of community service. I'm working on my PhD now and I still find time to coach at the YMCA. If i make a comment is because I can back it up.

My problem is not with him doing community service but labelling it as punishment. Community service is not a punishment it is a social responsibility. When Barack declared Monday January 19th a day of service where were you?

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
great shot by fine man , the ball skips across the lush green outfield  and careens into the advertisment boards now. this bats man is certainly in good nick
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 07:12:51 PM »
Don't get it twisted I live a life of service. I thought at primary and highschool in Tobago right after leaving A levels. I coached primary school football, I was a volunteer coach at St. Clairs C.S. While in college in the states i was a member of numerous organizations doing my fair share of community service. I'm working on my PhD now and I still find time to coach at the YMCA. If i make a comment is because I can back it up.

My problem is not with him doing community service but labelling it as punishment. Community service is not a punishment it is a social responsibility. When Barack declared Monday January 19th a day of service where were you?

geez. no need to take it that way. i made (what i thought was) a pretty innocuous statement that was neither a criticism, nor a judgement of you. you asked if professional players have a certain responsibility. I thought you were saying that he had some some additional responsibility to serve that non athletes didn't have. I should have agreed with you and then added my point, to say 'yes he does, as we all do'. Maybe then you wouldn't have taken it as some sort of challenge. thanks for clarifying. and yeah..i do my part, but i'm sure your intent was not to get into a pissing match as to who is more socially responsible.

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »

Damm son, i didnt think this conversation was that deep. lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »

I was in front of my TV shaking off slumber, in my flannel PJs sipping on cocoa, taking in the festivities from the warm, cozy confines of my couch.  Not that that has to do with anything... but I'm sure your life is further enriched for the knowledge.

Additionally, I didn't get anything twisted... I asked you a simple question as to whether YOU had a responsibility.  Rather than answer the question you chose to relate to me your life story.  Unlike you I feel no need to get into my civic activities, but suffice to say that what you have accomplished and what you are doing isn't anything special, my own activities/achievements easily match or surpass what you've posted. 

That aside you didn't "back up" anything, in that you haven't outlined how your civic activities are a 'responsibility'.  A responsibility is a duty owed, the failure which to perform carries some form of sanction or penalty.  Any volunteering that I personally undertake to do, I do so out of a sense of altruism, not because I have a 'responsibility' to do it.  Even if I feel indebted to the point that I make it my duty to give back, I assume that duty of my own will, and it's not my place to transfer the same onto others. 

Rather than be in such a haste to question what others are doing, while simultaneously thumping your own chest... maybe you should slow down and take some time to sort out your homonyms... I'd like to believe that all of us have 'thought' at some point in primary and secondary school.

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »

I was in front of my TV shaking off slumber, in my flannel PJs sipping on cocoa, taking in the festivities from the warm, cozy confines of my couch.  Not that that has to do with anything... but I'm sure your life is further enriched for the knowledge.

Additionally, I didn't get anything twisted... I asked you a simple question as to whether YOU had a responsibility.  Rather than answer the question you chose to relate to me your life story.  Unlike you I feel no need to get into my civic activities, but suffice to say that what you have accomplished and what you are doing isn't anything special, my own activities/achievements easily match or surpass what you've posted. 

That aside you didn't "back up" anything, in that you haven't outlined how your civic activities are a 'responsibility'.  A responsibility is a duty owed, the failure which to perform carries some form of sanction or penalty.  Any volunteering that I personally undertake to do, I do so out of a sense of altruism, not because I have a 'responsibility' to do it.  Even if I feel indebted to the point that I make it my duty to give back, I assume that duty of my own will, and it's not my place to transfer the same onto others. 

Rather than be in such a haste to question what others are doing, while simultaneously thumping your own chest... maybe you should slow down and take some time to sort out your homonyms... I'd like to believe that all of us have 'thought' at some point in primary and secondary school.

:D :D :D :D :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

dis forum eh easy nah!

"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline FineMan

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »
Thanks for correcting my grammar, I'll have to get you on board to help edit my thesis. I made my comment to say that the league does not need to put it out there that he is doing community service as a form of punishment. When I played with Coaching School in Tobago all the senior players coached in the academy and had a group of younger players to mentor. When a player in the EPL does his shit on the field do you hear the club coming out and saying that we giving him community service for 6mths, NO. They deal with the problem in house. The player will get his rightful ban from the field of play and they deal with it in house. If a player breaks his contract and he is to get fined he will.

P.S My nickname is fineman and I could thump whatever lickle chest I have. This is a message board and comments are always going to get lost in translation, that being said I don't apologise for anything I say or will say in the future.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 04:09:42 AM »
great delivery by bake and shark, in typical west indies fashion, short rising delivery knocks fine mans helmet off his head the helmet jus missing the stumps. what a delivery u could hear him grunt as he realised the ball. the speed of the delivery is coming up on the monitor now.........amm sorry folks we seem to have some technical difficulties the speedometer is reading WHOOOOOSH :o

seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 04:27:01 AM »
yuh know allyuh get me thinking about the "responsibility" of our more "famous" athletes. do they owe society? is it incumbent upon them to give back in some form or fashion? some one was saying look how many coaching schools beckham has but what has yorke done along that same line. who am i to judge or he 4 that matter

but the community service shouldnt really be viewed as a punishment  but maybe thats the only way our local players can give back . who knows

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »

Seems you don't know the meaning of the word punishment... 

Social responsibility or not- it's still punishment because it was sanctioned against him, against his own free will as repayment for wrong-doing...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 11:26:09 AM »
They shouldnt have to be ordered to do community service. going out and making yourself known in the community will in return bring fans to the stadium.  Visiting to local nearby schools, etc will help.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 04:39:16 PM »
I agree with the pros and cons of this argument. Whichever side we fall on, it appears to me that everyone agrees that footballers and sports personalities should make it their duty/responsibity to give back to the community out of the "goodness" of their heart. That being said, the "punishment"/order to do service is right on time, as far as I am concern. I know nowadays because of the money pressure involve in football causes some players to argue with ref over decisions(good and bad), but he deserves what he got. i hope he comes back a better MAN and better player.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »

I real sorry for whoever you "thought" brodda
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ease up on d man nah...he said after leaving A-levels, not after passing A-levels  ;D

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »

Ease up on d man nah...he said after leaving A-levels, not after passing A-levels  ;D
nah nah nah
I kno fa a fact, dat de spell check was dong the day FineMan did post dat ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 05:35:51 PM »

nah nah nah
I kno fa a facc dat de spell check was dong the day FineMan did post dat ;D ;D

Why would spell check be dong?  He spell "thought" correctly.  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »

nah nah nah
I kno fa a facc dat de spell check was dong the day FineMan did post dat ;D ;D

Why would spell check be dong?  He spelt "thought" correctly.  8)
ya know, dat was my first Taught, too
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:39:49 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>