April 18, 2024, 07:59:16 PM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones: Is he a Cole or a Drogba?  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones: Is he a Cole or a Drogba?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 10:56:53 PM »
but players only work on conditioning and stop working on there actual skill

sorry. this is completely incorrect. I've seen pro clubs train in the off season and during the season and they work alot on technique and other 'skill drills'. during the off season there is a greater emphasis on conditioning than during the season. but you can be sure that KJ is constantly working on his technique, shooting, passing etc.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones: Is he a Cole or a Drogba?
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 02:12:27 AM »
Its really hard to compare the 2 at the minute you are talking about a player on top of his form and a player not really hit form returning from injury.  Kenwyne certainly has the potential to be a much better forward than Cole whether he gets there is really upto himself. 

Most of the points has already been pointed out, I haven't seen Cole week in week out but yes he has pace and power but lacks finishing ability and upto know hasn't made the best use of himself.  He is a very patchy player in the fact he will play really well for a few weeks then not so for a few weeks / longer time.

I personally don't think Kenwyne is lazy, but his anticipation lets him down (already pointed out) by the time he realises he should of moved the opportunity has gone and there is very little point in going for the ball, which helps with the perception he is lazy.  Kenwyne's pace, power, heading ability and probably dribbling is up there with the best at his position, but he is let down by his movement, first touch, holding of the ball and shooting, its really not good enough too much of the time and that for me is where he needs to improve.  He is still 3 years off his peak and probably another 3/4 years at his peak so there is still time.

Kenwyne still hasn't played well this season although with his injury and fitting into a slightly different role with a partner takes time.  Before I am jumped on by that I mean you have players in the team that provide different things and when I say play well it is how they play against what they bring to the team.  Take a player like Owen for example you won't see much of him during a game and then he will score a couple of goals and he has done his job and played well, he is judged to have played badly if he misses the opportunities during the game, very little other contribution is expected.  Kenwyne on the other hand is expected to bring more to the team with his physical presence, dominate CH etc, upto now we haven't seen that from him. 

Last season suited him, because he was up front by himself with his back to goal most of the time, he had to win the ball and do something with it for the most part and he was emmense at it.  This season I just get the feeling he is thinking what he is going to do, flick it on hold it up etc almost as the ball is getting to him so he seems unsure.  He is certainly not winning the headers he used to, but again his injury.  He last couple of goals from open play have come from positions he rarely got himself into last season, running into the 6 yard box across the front post so things are changing.  He is playing a bit behind Cisse and really it should help as the opposition have more than Kenwyne to mark (unlike last season) but both have been making it far too easy for the defenders to mark them, by playing too close together.  It is far too early to tell if there is a partnership there or will it ever work, I simply don't know.  Maybe Kenwyne is better suited to a more 4411 / 451 structure being the most forward than 442 ish.

His injury was really unfortunate timing from both Kenwyne's and the clubs view.  2/3 rd of the season gone and in the terms of learning / adjusting to a different style / teammates we are only now where we should of been in the learning curve 10 games into the season. 

I simply can't see Kenwyne being sold in Jan, but the summer is a totally different matter and it will largely depend on a different number of factors, first which league, then who wants to stay, if Kenwyne wants to move then he should be allowed to move (providing the money's right), will Cisse want to stay, has the partnership worked for the last 3rd of the season, does it make sense to have 2 players in the team like that or is a different mix / system better overall, again before being jumped on all I mean by that is by having both in the team are we not getting the best out of either of them. 

I really do believe Kenwyne has the potential to be up there with the greats, but he needs to show it on the pitch with greater consistancy, I hope and expect a great run in from him and see what happens in the summer.

1]; } ?>