April 28, 2024, 02:12:41 PM

Author Topic: Latapy poised for Caledonia move  (Read 8078 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy poised for Caledonia move
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
Latapy poised for Caledonia move.
By: Lasana Liburd (Trinidad Express).

LATAPY FOR AIA

Trinidad and Tobago national player/ assistant coach and icon, Russell "the Little Magician" Latapy, looks set to close his playing career with local Pro League outfit, Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA, in a move that is expected to have far reaching implications for the financially strapped club.

Latapy, who left for Argentina yesterday with the "Soca Warriors", and Caledonia coach and co-founder, Jamaal Shabazz, were tight lipped on the prospective signing but the Express was reliably informed that the former Europe-based star has already promised his services to the club.

It is unusual for a professional club to expect much return from a 40-year-old recruit but then Latapy has never been an ordinary player.

Last October, Latapy ended his two-year retirement from the international game and marked his competitive return on home soil with the opening goal as the Warriors pulled off an unprecedented World Cup qualifying win over the United States with a 2-1 triumph at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Shabazz, according to a source close to the coach, is thrilled at capturing Latapy and is convinced the gifted player can have a similar effect on not just the club but the community as well.

"Latapy's move gives our community an opportunity to beat its chest with pride," said the source. "Caledonia was his first club and, although we will not say that we made him, we had a role to play and it is wonderful he decided to come back to us.

"There are many talented players from our community who, when they reach a certain age or level, are taken away by bigger, richer clubs. This is an icon who identifies with his roots."

Latapy was 10-years-old when the newly formed Caledonia AIA heard about the scrawny but talented player who practiced with friend, Vaughn Hart, by the Angostura playing field near to the impoverished Beetham Estate.

Caledonia invited the pair to join their under-16 team that played in the Eddie Hart League in Tacarigua. Latapy scored on his debut, with his mother Dawn Latapy among the supporters, although the "Eastern Stallions" were hammered 7-1 by the Eddie Hart Upstarts.

Caledonia improved quickly as they added the likes of John John residents Hutson "Barber" Charles-Latapy's future "Strike Squad" teammate-and Andy Haynes to their roster although the pint-sized Latapy was occasionally relegated to the bench.

Latapy spent two years with Caledonia before moving on to bigger things. But, on his return to Trinidad this month, he contacted the club and revealed his wish to represent them as he strives to maintain his fitness for the present World Cup qualifying campaign.

Caledonia, who were Pro League runners-up in 2007 and finished fourth last year, hope that Latapy helps them to surpass the likes of defending champions, Clico San Juan Jabloteh, Â and heavyweights W. Connection and Bmobile Joe Public, and secure their first national league title.

"It is definitely a big boost to the possibility (of the Pro League crown)," said the source. "The motivation within the team will be high and the fan participation would be high. So our neighbours would have to watch out."

Latapy is expected to play up front while Caledonia will adjust their system to better suit the veteran and co-captain Densill Theobald. While Latapy is set for a roving role off a lone striker, Theobald will organise the midfield from a deeper vantage point alongside a holding player. It is a position that Theobald, another 2006 World Cup player, hopes to occupy at international level too between Latapy and national captain, Yorke.

Latapy's influence is likely to extend well beyond Caledonia's senior team as the former Portugal and Scotland league champion allegedly expressed a desire in setting up a youth academy for Caledonia similar to the model at his former Scotland Premier League employer, Falkirk.

Caledonia, who are believed to be renegotiating their sponsorship deal with Neal & Massy, are anxious to make full use of Latapy's know-how.

"Instead of Latapy coming down to our level," said the source, "Caledonia wants up to come up to his level. But we know we will need improved sponsorship to make it happen."

Latapy's presence, the club hopes, can also aid their efforts in squashing the violent, borderline feuds that plague the Morvant/ Laventille community.

"Latapy is originally from Doratha Street, which is where the Gambinos are from," said the source. "He could be an important symbol in the club's stance against the borderline thing."

Caledonia, who captured their first national trophies last season in the form of the Pro Bowl and TTFF FA Trophy, hope that their new number 10 brings even more prestige to their club. Both parties are expected to formally announce Latapy's move to Caledonia next month.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:50:25 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy poised for Caledonia move
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:25:19 PM »
Gr8 selection
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »
This is a joke. Seriously, our National Assistant Coach playing in the PFL, what a laugh.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 10:33:46 PM »
This is good. another trini bringing back knowledge, experience and fame back to the homeland just like Errol McFarlan doing now.  Nice way to stay fit and close to the national team.  Hope it encourage more crowds to come out to the game like a Beckham impact on the mls.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:24 PM »
This is a joke. Seriously, our National Assistant Coach playing in the PFL, what a laugh.

I really cannot believe you say that  >:(

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 10:48:15 PM »

How will the assistant coach out playing for Caledonia directly help our National team. This position is/should be a full time year round position. Latapy should not have time to be playing any serious football. I guess Trinidad and Tobago football still part-time.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »

How will the assistant coach out playing for Caledonia directly help our National team. This position is/should be a full time year round position. Latapy should not have time to be playing any serious football. I guess Trinidad and Tobago football still part-time.

maturana want him as a player still so he need to keep fit
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:01:51 PM »
That is a good point elan .But where better place to scout talent than down in the trenches .Rite now Anton doing work with the juniors ,and the NT doh work year rong .So am still shocked u said that come to think of it ,and I know u dont like Latas ,even having a minor role on our team.

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »
u could laugh,i like it :beermug:

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:54 PM »
Chain up ;D
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:23:22 PM »

I wish we were Spain England or Italy where thousands of people pack the stands to watch even minor league football.

I wish we had the money, population and organizational capability the Americans have to afford huge sponsorships and have team uniform, coach, equipement and transportation for every child that wants to play the game.

I wish we still had the passion for the game like we used to. At one time we coulda probably rival Brazil and Argentina in the relative numbers of people kicking a lime, tennis ball or roll piece of paper.

But we are little Trinidad, and we have to move creative, maybe to the point of absurdity, to overcome all these defecits.  Remember Latapy does not HAVE to play for Cali, the man volunteer HIS time to bring an audience back to this league.

Latapy in the PFL is a joke they could play on me anytime.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:28:04 PM »

didn't Anton have the same job while carrying out other duties simultaneously?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »
That is a good point elan .But where better place to scout talent than down in the trenches .Rite now Anton doing work with the juniors ,and the NT doh work year rong .So am still shocked u said that come to think of it ,and I know u dont like Latas ,even having a minor role on our team.

Why would you say I don't like Latas? I just don't think he is "the saviour" of T&T football as everyone else seems to think. Even if I did not like him, it still does not augurs well for him to be playing full time with a Professional outfit, when he should be a professional with the National team.

It's like those DR. at the hospital that also have their private practice, one will always suffer. I believe that if you want to coach then you coach, if you want to play you play. But, you cannot have your cake and eat it. T&T football need to become professional and this step is not a step to professionalism. Saying he will be in the trenches with the players is the easiest and obvious excuse for those who want to see Latapy play, to have something to talk about. I, on the other hand want to see T&T football get to that next level.

We fail to realize that this football thing is a full time committment, and not only when qualifiers or a tournament come around we scamper. This is why we will always suffer at the hands of the USA, as they are at it year in and year out, always ready, always prepared for the next battle. We on the other hand always caught with our boots off, and when it's time for battle we does put on we shirt before we boots and pants.

I could take the stick for my convictions cause I believe that to be the best you have to operate like the best.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 11:32:15 PM »

Withion the National Set up.

So Latapy don't have to train, just show up and play so the stands could be filled.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »
I would fly back jes to see him play.

Is Latas we talkin bout.  The PFL should be on dey knees thanking GOD above dat he smile on dem and have Latas playin in dey league. Even if he play 5 minutes...he mere presence is a filip for local football.

Russell Latapy is de Barack Obama of T&T football.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 11:48:53 PM »

Why would you say I don't like Latas? I just don't think he is "the saviour" of T&T football as everyone else seems to think. Even if I did not like him, it still does not augurs well for him to be playing full time with a Professional outfit, when he should be a professional with the National team.

It's like those DR. at the hospital that also have their private practice, one will always suffer. I believe that if you want to coach then you coach, if you want to play you play. But, you cannot have your cake and eat it. T&T football need to become professional and this step is not a step to professionalism. Saying he will be in the trenches with the players is the easiest and obvious excuse for those who want to see Latapy play, to have something to talk about. I, on the other hand want to see T&T football get to that next level.

We fail to realize that this football thing is a full time committment, and not only when qualifiers or a tournament come around we scamper. This is why we will always suffer at the hands of the USA, as they are at it year in and year out, always ready, always prepared for the next battle. We on the other hand always caught with our boots off, and when it's time for battle we does put on we shirt before we boots and pants.

I could take the stick for my convictions cause I believe that to be the best you have to operate like the best.

More great points ,and fully agree with everything you saying ......but we both know  that eint going to happen this hex .After the last WC we all here where hoping ,but we know what happened so you should let that dream go ,for this year atleast .
And like Triniman say ,Mats say he is just a player to him ,so he has to get a job,if he wants to play ,But tell me who was the last person in a coaching role ,really loved and cared about the team as much as this man.For once we have somebody who we can trust ,to do the rite thing ,and I believe that is why everybody so optimistic and happy that he can be a savior for us. 

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 12:01:09 AM »
who is Kaka ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:08 AM »

Withion the National Set up.

So Latapy don't have to train, just show up and play so the stands could be filled.

I don't understand what you're saying here.  sorry.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »

Latapy, who left for Argentina yesterday with the "Soca Warriors", and Caledonia coach and co-founder, Jamaal Shabazz, were tight lipped on the prospective signing but the Express was reliably informed that the former Europe-based star has already promised his services to the club.
This is the Guyana technical director and national coach.  Is this why T&T play them so often?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 04:43:38 AM »

This is the Guyana technical director and national coach.  Is this why T&T play them so often?

No TT was playing dem often WAY before Shabazz. Bear in mind his fees in Guyana were (and perhaps still are) paid for by the TTFF (Jack).

Latas is only the Assistant Coach not DE Coach. He is however, a PLAYER. This move means he can stay match fit. And of course it's a great financial boon for the club. I wonder how much dey paying him :-)

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 05:51:35 AM »
I would fly back jes to see him play.

Is Latas we talkin bout.  The PFL should be on dey knees thanking GOD above dat he smile on dem and have Latas playin in dey league. Even if he play 5 minutes...he mere presence is a filip for local football.

Russell Latapy is de Barack Obama of T&T football.

And de congregation say Amen....I have to find mih self in a PFL game or 2 to see he play.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 06:00:24 AM »

He is a professional!  And his contribution to the local football is exactly what we need.  Men here have dey nose so far up Wim ass, always quoting him how we players eh good, here you have a man with requisite knowledge to help raise the level, one club at a time, a man willing to use his time to develop the youth players and you find time to excoriate the move of a god..you a mere mortal and a shit hound!  get a f**king grip!

It's like those DR. at the hospital that also have their private practice, one will always suffer. I believe that if you want to coach then you coach, if you want to play you play. But, you cannot have your cake and eat it.

If you know anything about medicine in the US you would shut your cake hole.  Most doctors in Hospitals in teh US are contracted by the Hospitals. they have their private practices outsaide the Hospital also!  and their medicine don't seem to be suffering  How yuh mean yuh cyar have yuh cake and Edith also...?

T&T football need to become professional and this step is not a step to professionalism. Saying he will be in the trenches with the players is the easiest and obvious excuse for those who want to see Latapy play, to have something to talk about. I, on the other hand want to see T&T football get to that next level.

How de f**k it come more professional when their are no real professionals involved except for Latapy now? Everyone bemoans the lack of intensity, the lack of physical fitness, and now a man who has played at the highest level wants to contribute and you, a shit pot have to take shots at his involvement?  You ever kick ah lime to soften it up to make lime juice?  STEUPS!

We fail to realize that this football thing is a full time commitment, and not only when qualifiers or a tournament come around we scamper. This is why we will always suffer at the hands of the USA, as they are at it year in and year out, always ready, always prepared for the next battle. We on the other hand always caught with our boots off, and when it's time for battle we does put on we shirt before we boots and pants.

{b] so now we have someone to help, someone preapred to give back, someone willing, able and who have contacts outside T&T, someone who can recommend and whose recommendations will likely be taken seriously,  to prepare youth players and players who are striving to be professional, and you have grouse.[/b]

I feel you jes want stick!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:03:51 AM by Trinity Cross »

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 06:27:17 AM »
Latapy poised for Caledonia move.
By: Lasana Liburd (Trinidad Express).

LATAPY FOR AIA

Latapy is expected to play up front while Caledonia will adjust their system to better suit the veteran and co-captain Densill Theobald. While Latapy is set for a roving role off a lone striker, Theobald will organise the midfield from a deeper vantage point alongside a holding player. It is a position that Theobald, another 2006 World Cup player, hopes to occupy at international level too between Latapy and national captain, Yorke.

This is the part of the story I more concerned about.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 06:37:10 AM »
Morvant now call meh with the news........fire bun all waggonist

CALI CALI CALI CALI CALI CALIDOOOOOOOONIIIIIAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

IS LATAPY IN YUH PWEFEN NOW
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 06:41:39 AM »
Is it just me or doesn't this seem like a conflict of interest?  ??? We have an Assistant National Coach, who would have an influence on the selection of the National side lining up with a local Pro league team? Suppose for example that Theobald makes it back in the good graces of the national squad, justified or not, would not such a decision be viewed as being biased?

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 06:47:19 AM »

really..., How pray tell should he stay in shape? running around de savannah?

:o :o :o :o :o :o
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 06:48:11 AM »
Excellent move !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope many others follow.....

Wonder if Darrly Warner will now consider retired T&T stars to come back and join the league, I remember he got vex when Flex ask him this in his interview....

Latapy move could be a stepping stone for others to follow.

And we also need him fit !!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:17:13 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »

Steups. So where Hardest go play?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 06:55:13 AM »

Steups. So where Hardest go play?

Do hit man so hard in de early mornin so  :rotfl:

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »
lawd fadda we footbal really really sad..
war
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>