April 23, 2024, 11:55:50 PM

Author Topic: High School Basketball 100-0  (Read 2896 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
High School Basketball 100-0
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »
High school to forfeit game

I say good beat down, I will explain why I say so. What do you think?

PS: If this was posted before plz merge.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: High School Basketball 100-0
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
It was in the "Other Sports" section

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=41536.0

and because I not a moderator, do yuh thing  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
I don't have a problem with the coach having his team continue to execute their plays on both offense and defense... however I have a problem with them continuing to jack up three pointers and to press the other team on defense, forcing them into more turnovers.  Lack of professionalism and sportsmanship on the part of the coach.  Which is why he got fired...

The Coach

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:07:58 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:06:30 PM »
"Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with “learning differences,” like short attention spans or dyslexia."
The Coach deserved to be fired and the cheering parents should be ashamed.

This is the best...."the Dallas Academy team has been recognized for refusing to give up during the lopsided contest."
Never surrender  :applause: :applause:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:09:51 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »
Is this one of those things that make yuh go, 'hmmm'? (including the firing)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:54 PM »
Is this one of those things that make yuh go, 'hmmm'? (including the firing)

The firing doesn't make me go "hmmmn" at all... seems like he defied the the school's principal, director, jefe... whatever they call him.  An apology was issued... coach issued his own statement 'un' apologizing.

Cut him loose.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »
What about the school the girls  attending? What are they doing to help the girls? Four years they have not won a game. Imagine they so bad they could not even score a free throw (if they got one). The school that these girls attend should hold a lot of the blame. They depend on other schools knowledge that the girls are "special" and the numbers are small, to go easy on them. They seem to not be interested in investing in the BB program to assist the girls in doing better. This is etting up the girls for things like this to happen.

When I play games I find games that my team could compete in a and stay clear of the teams that would beat us down for the most part. I understand my team, and is concerned about them and how they develop. This it sems is not the schools concerns, they just want to say they have a girls team, well then deal with it.

If I was the coach of the team scoring 100 I would have resigned the minute the school apologize. What if the winning team was bad at 3 pointers and on that night they hiot them? What if they never played the full court press and tried it out then? How do you tell players to work hard, do their best, but then to go easy on those who others think you should ease up on.  Why can't they train hard like everyone else or find another sport to "bond"?

My daughter trains every single day, day in day out, her team, my teams (U-18 boys and she is 11), individual train with me, on her own etc. so that she can get better. She comes up against players who were playing playstation, texting, and out having fun while she was training hard. She should ease them up? They don't ease her up when they talking about going to the movies and hanging at each other houses when she was out practicing. You have to be kidding me. Winning with pride, how about losing with dignity.

This guy should have resigned. If he is a progressive, goal oriented person, then that school is not for him. I say take your beat down and work hard or quit.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »
Elan, it is obvious to me that High School has been "allowed" to play with the regular Private and Parochial high schools
check this quote from BnS post
"There is, however, “a golden rule” that should have applied in this contest, Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, said last week. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas."
and in that game I feel that the coach and parents forgot about the "Golden Rule", and exhibited very unsportsman like behaviour.
If the coach had swallowed his pride and agreed that it was not right....he would still have his job and things would be forgotten.....but, maybe he wants to sell the story to hollywood ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:22:15 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:40:13 PM »
What about the school the girls  attending? What are they doing to help the girls? Four years they have not won a game. Imagine they so bad they could not even score a free throw (if they got one). The school that these girls attend should hold a lot of the blame. They depend on other schools knowledge that the girls are "special" and the numbers are small, to go easy on them. They seem to not be interested in investing in the BB program to assist the girls in doing better. This is etting up the girls for things like this to happen.

When I play games I find games that my team could compete in a and stay clear of the teams that would beat us down for the most part. I understand my team, and is concerned about them and how they develop. This it sems is not the schools concerns, they just want to say they have a girls team, well then deal with it.

If I was the coach of the team scoring 100 I would have resigned the minute the school apologize. What if the winning team was bad at 3 pointers and on that night they hiot them? What if they never played the full court press and tried it out then? How do you tell players to work hard, do their best, but then to go easy on those who others think you should ease up on.  Why can't they train hard like everyone else or find another sport to "bond"?

My daughter trains every single day, day in day out, her team, my teams (U-18 boys and she is 11), individual train with me, on her own etc. so that she can get better. She comes up against players who were playing playstation, texting, and out having fun while she was training hard. She should ease them up? They don't ease her up when they talking about going to the movies and hanging at each other houses when she was out practicing. You have to be kidding me. Winning with pride, how about losing with dignity.

This guy should have resigned. If he is a progressive, goal oriented person, then that school is not for him. I say take your beat down and work hard or quit.

You're being entirely subjective and not examining this situation from a realistic standpoint.

The mission of this school isn't to "invest in the basketball program"... the mission of the school is to provide an education for girls with special needs.  The school has 20 students... what sort of budget do you suppose the school has for sports?  Many of these schools have sports teams so that the students have an athletic outlet, as well as to provide for their development outside the classroom, we all know just how significant a role athletics plays in building character. 

I haven't read up too much on the school or if it competes in an athletic league, but it seems to me that with a student body that small they're functioning as an independent school and therefore have to play whichever school is willing to put them on its schedule.  With only 20 students in the entire school, and 8 on the basketball team talent is going to be limited.  You talk about "investing" in basketball... how?  Put magnets inside the balls so they could better find the rim?  You can't get better until you get better players.  Given the type of students they educate they can't attract "normal" students... let alone normal students who also have basketball talent.

Finally, you should note that the school is a Christian school and the principal (agree with him or not) didn't think that the win at all cost attitude shown by this over-zealous coach was representative of the school's "Christ like" philosophy.  If you ent representing your company in the proper light and they tell yuh about it and yuh want to play harden and guff up yuh chest then doh be surprise when yuh get yuh walking papers.

All this other talk about your daughter training hard and this setting up de girls for things like this is nonsense, quite frankly.  These young women by all accounts DID take the loss with dignity, and showed a lot more class than a coach who couldn't call off the dogs even after his team was up 59-0 at the half.  How can you take pride in that?  How competitive could that game have been that that coach could take anything away from it to use as a teaching point?  If that is your mindset as a coach then I submit to you that you're in the wrong business where it comes to leading young people.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »

You're being entirely subjective and not examining this situation from a realistic standpoint.

The mission of this school isn't to "invest in the basketball program"... the mission of the school is to provide an education for girls with special needs.  The school has 20 students... what sort of budget do you suppose the school has for sports?  Many of these schools have sports teams so that the students have an athletic outlet, as well as to provide for their development outside the classroom, we all know just how significant a role athletics plays in building character. 

Then why let them compete in a league? I understand the team as an outlet and all that, but if they are special then they should be placed in situations where things like this will less likely to happen.

I haven't read up too much on the school or if it competes in an athletic league, but it seems to me that with a student body that small they're functioning as an independent school and therefore have to play whichever school is willing to put them on its schedule.  With only 20 students in the entire school, and 8 on the basketball team talent is going to be limited.  You talk about "investing" in basketball... how?  Put magnets inside the balls so they could better find the rim?  You can't get better until you get better players.  Given the type of students they educate they can't attract "normal" students... let alone normal students who also have basketball talent.

Finally, you should note that the school is a Christian school and the principal (agree with him or not) didn't think that the win at all cost attitude shown by this over-zealous coach was representative of the school's "Christ like" philosophy.  If you ent representing your company in the proper light and they tell yuh about it and yuh want to play harden and guff up yuh chest then doh be surprise when yuh get yuh walking papers.

All this other talk about your daughter training hard and this setting up de girls for things like this is nonsense, quite frankly.  These young women by all accounts DID take the loss with dignity, and showed a lot more class than a coach who couldn't call off the dogs even after his team was up 59-0 at the half.  How can you take pride in that?  How competitive could that game have been that that coach could take anything away from it to use as a teaching point?  If that is your mindset as a coach then I submit to you that you're in the wrong business where it comes to leading young people.

So the girls who won have nothing invested in the game then? What if they wanted to score 100 points and they have been working to that objective? It is not a simple as what you and others are bringing it over to be. Maybe because they are "christian schools" or the losing team are "special" and the school only has 20 girls makes one sympathize. What if it was the other way around, this would have been the story of the year.

Small Christian Girls Basketball Team with Special Needs win 100-0.
By SI

It would have been a Television show by now inspiring all to the possibilities of working hard, not giving up, and the capabilities of the Human mind.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
Then why let them compete in a league? I understand the team as an outlet and all that, but if they are special then they should be placed in situations where things like this will less likely to happen.

By SI
IMHO, The concept of fair play is what is the driving force behind the School board allowing them to play, as they say there is a "Golden Rule", which i would guess was instituted as a result of this team in this league.
But hear nuh, you can think it not fair for "Normal" girls to not demolish these girls scorewise.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »

By SI
IMHO, The concept of fair play is what is the driving force behind the School board allowing them to play, as they say there is a "Golden Rule", which i would guess was instituted as a result of this team in this league.
But hear nuh, you can think it not fair for "Normal" girls to not demolish these girls scorewise.

Yeah maybe the coach could have done something different, but like what? If he had only try to score lay ups, then people would have spoke out about driving the lane. Tell the player not to score? That's does not fulfill the natural objective of the game.

What is really the problem here, that the girls have special needs (keeping in mind that it's ADD and Dyslexia)? The NSCAA journal have an article talking about how kids today are taught to play and not to compete.

I don't necessarily agree with the 100, but I can't see the coach taking all the blame.

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.
There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised "each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner."

Civello said he appreciated the gesture and has accepted the apology "with no ill feelings."

At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
ya re-hashing tings now
start again from the first post
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 06:42:59 PM »
Posted by elan:
When I play games I find games that my team could compete in a and stay clear of the teams that would beat us down for the most part. I understand my team, and is concerned about them and how they develop.

Have you ever faced this situation in a tournament ... going into a tourney?

1]; } ?>