April 29, 2024, 03:27:34 AM

Author Topic: El Siete  (Read 853 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
El Siete
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »
Maldini, Del Piero, Fabregas Hail Real Madrid Record-Breaker Raul
‘El Angel de Madrid’ has earned universal tribute from his peers after becoming Los Blancos’ all-time leading goalscorer overnight.
Raul Gonzalez Blanco last night became Real Madrid’s new and outright all-time top scorer when he netted twice in the 4-0 win at Sporting Gijon to take his tally to 309 club goals in all official competitions, surpassing the previous record of 307 held by the mythical Alfredo Di Stefano.

While the media are certain to gush over the iconic ‘No. 7’ in the coming days, several of his peers have already sent their congratulations and tributes to the Los Blancos hot-shot.

Another legend of the game, AC Milan’s Paolo Maldini who himself last night took part in what should be his very last Milan derby, said: “Raul is an icon of Spanish and world football.

“He has won everything with Real Madrid and he has always been a reference point for all young forwards. He is a positive example of a football champion.

“His professionalism and his constant dedication in training is just one of the many characteristics of a true champion. 

“Of all the goals he has scored and the successes he has had, surpassing Di Stefano’s record is, ofcourse, one of his most important achievements and he has now rightly earned his place in the club’s history books.

“I congratulate him and I send him my best for the future, as I believe he still has a lot to give to Spanish and international football,” the 40-year-old affirmed.

Alessandro Del Piero

The Juventus captain, widely regarded as Italy’s version of Raul, believes that ‘El Siete’ will continue shattering more records.

“308 official goals is an historic, unique and incredible achievement and surely it is just another step for a great champion who has demonstrated, over the years, his great qualities,” he told EFE news agency.

“I am sure he will continue to show that for a long, long time,” he added.

Cesc Fabregas

The Arsenal captain and the future of Spanish football, was equally in awe of his countryman.

“For my generation and the younger generation of Spanish players, Raul has always been an example. His goals, his determination, his work ethic has always been at the same level for many years and he represents continuity,” he professed to EFE. 

Cesc then went on to recall one of the striking memories he shared with Raul: “I remember this one moment very well during the 2006 World Cup [after Spain were eliminated by France].

“I could not bear being so helpless after losing and Raul, who had already changed after he was substituted, came to the pitch to console me. He was always there for us when we needed him.

“Raul is a reference to all football players around the globe. In every corner of the world, his image is synonymous to that of Real Madrid. I congratulate him for creating history by scoring so many goals,” he concluded.

In addition to his record 309 goals for Los Blancos, Raul is also Spain’s current leading scorer with 44 goals, the Champions League’s top marksman with 64, and the highest goalscorer in all UEFA official club competition with 66. And with 685 appearances for Madrid, he is closing in on Manuel Sanchis’ record of 712.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: El Siete
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:32:47 AM »
I've been critical of Raul in recent seasons because it's very difficult to not compare him to yesteryear when he was in a class above what he is today.... but the fact is the old man still knows how to hit the net, and the records speak for themselves... Also seems like the rest of the team feeds off him and his energy.

Cheers to a living icon   :beermug:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:28:50 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:00:38 AM »
Living Legend  :beermug: :applause: :applause: :salute:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:01:53 AM »
how much crucial penalties and chances Raul miss in his career?

assholes on this forum should take a note at respecting your legends

1]; } ?>