April 28, 2024, 05:57:18 AM

Author Topic: Thread for the USA vs Mexico game (11-Feb-2009).  (Read 17529 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Thread for the USA vs Mexico game (11-Feb-2009).
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:43 AM »
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 * Columbus Crew Stadium (Columbus, Ohio)
U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Mexico / 7 p.m. ET — 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifier

Live on ESPN2, ESPN2 HD and Univision - 7:00 PM  ET
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:08:28 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Thread for the USA vs Mexico game (11-Feb-2009).
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:11:42 PM »
Mexicans turn to voodoo to help team beat the US

MEXICO CITY (AP) — A Mexican sports daily is pinning its hopes of beating the United States in a World Cup qualifying match on voodoo — with help from a U.S-based electronics chain. An advertisement in the sports daily Record on Tuesday invited fans to clip coupons and redeem them at their local Radio Shack store for a voodoo-doll likeness of a U.S. player. The hope was that a little black magic might help Mexico break a decade of futility on the road versus its northern neighbor.

"Help end the losing streak so Mexico advances," the ad read.

An illustration showed a pair of scissors slicing off the leg of a doll in a U.S. jersey that was bruised, crying out in pain, leaking stuffing, and stuck with pushpins.

"We imagine a group of young people gathered around the TV supporting Mexico and applying punishments to our rivals so that the team can qualify," Record said in a statement.

Daniel Paz, marketing manager for the newspaper, told The Associated Press the promotion was a lighthearted attempt to make next month's rivalry game more enjoyable for fans.

"It's a toy," Paz said. "There's no intention of being anything serious."

The press office of Radio Shack in Fort Worth, Texas, did not immediately return phone calls and e-mails seeking comment, but the company's Mexico office confirmed its participation.

Mexico plays the United States on Feb. 11 in Columbus, Ohio, in the first match of the final round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 World Cup. The "Tri" has not won in the U.S. for 10 years.

Record said it has created 10,000 dolls and plans to expand the promotion to include effigies representing the other CONCACAF finalists: Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »
pack ah assness.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »
http://www.postnewsline.com/2008/02/voodoo-priest-s.html

Voodoo Priest Says He Got Inspiration From Cameroon
By Innocent Mbunwe in Ghana

Ghanaian number one sports voodoo priest, popularly known as Okwonfor, told The Post in Accra, Ghana, that he got his inspiration from the Indomitable Lions in 1990.

When asked how, he said, "spiritually, I was born a voodoo priest, but when I saw a Cameroonian witchdoctor during the 1990 World Cup in Italy, perform all those incantations and the Lions got to the quarter finals, it inspired me. Knowing that I have those same powers, I decided to support the Black Stars of Ghana with it."

On how he has been helpful to the Black Stars, he said, "On the opening game between Ghana and Guinea, I brought two guinea fowls into the stadium and Ghana won 2-1. In our second encounter against Namibia, I carried one eagle and we beat Namibia 1- 0.

Then, came our third game against Morocco; I took two fowls to the stadium and the score was 2-0. Against Nigeria in the quarter-finals, I had an eagle and a fowl and we beat them 2-1."

About the semi-final match against Cameroon, "I will only know on the eve of the encounter," said Okwonfor.Voodoo is a kind of spiritual force and is alleged to have started in Benin, where it is more or less a state religion, before being taken to Haiti and elsewhere by slaves.

At the AFCON 2008, it is common to see several Ghanaian fans carrying juju pots containing leaves and liquids in order to scare away all evil spirits and that brings them victory, as they claim.

"It seems to work, if you believe in this sort of thing," said a Ghanaian policeman. "Is it not a similar thing that happened in the 2002 semi-final match between Mali and Cameroon in Mali, where Cameroon coaches, Winfred Schafer and Thomas Nkono, were arrested by police for placing a magic charm on the pitch before the match?" the police added.

When it comes to football, many people have the belief that an extra force somewhere can do the trick for them. Even Europeans believe in it; reasons why some of England's top stars over the years like John Terry will tie his shin guard three times, Gary Neville will wear the same perfume every day he has a match, as reported by the English press some time ago.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mexicans turning to voodoo to beat United States
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:25 AM »
Mexican soccer fans are turning to voodoo to beat the United States, with help from an American electronics company.

The teams meet Feb. 11 in Columbus, Ohio, in the first game of the final round of regional qualifying for the 2010 World Cup. Mexico has not beaten the United States on American soil in 10 years.

An advertisement in the sports newspaper Record on Tuesday invited fans to clip coupons and redeem them at their local Radio Shack store for a voodoo-doll likeness of a U.S. player. The hope was that a little black magic might help Mexico break its decade of futility.

"Help end the losing streak so Mexico advances," the ad read.

An illustration showed a pair of scissors slicing off the leg of a doll in a U.S. jersey that was bruised, crying out in pain, leaking stuffing and stuck with pushpins.

"We imagine a group of young people gathered around the TV supporting Mexico and applying punishments to our rivals so that the team can qualify," Record said in a statement.

Daniel Paz, marketing manager for the newspaper, told The Associated Press the promotion was a lighthearted attempt to make next month's rivalry game more enjoyable for fans.

"It's a toy," Paz said. "There's no intention of being anything serious."

The media office of Radio Shack in Fort Worth, Texas, did not immediately return phone calls and e-mails, but the company's Mexico office confirmed its participation.

Record said it has created 10,000 dolls and plans to expand the promotion to include effigies representing the other finalists in North and Central America and the Caribbean: Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mexicans turning to voodoo to beat United States
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
leh we go Moruga yes..it have quantillia dolls dong dey ??( o wha ever he name is)
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:30:07 AM »
Should be a good game...

Wonder if they have black people in Mexico ? as I have never seen one play for Mexico.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 10:11:16 AM »
Should be a good game...

Wonder if they have black people in Mexico ? as I have never seen one play for Mexico.

If you counting California as part of Mexico, then yes.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Should be a good game...

melvin brown - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Brown

gio dos santos look dougla.

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »
them people taking this voodoo thing for Joke.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
Should be a good game...

melvin brown - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Brown

gio dos santos look dougla.
gio is half brazilian
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
he might be half brazilian but i bet he ol man (Gerardo dos Santos) look more like pele than kaka.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »
i don't think that the first time they doing something like this or other teams around the world....club's from south american to world cup team does it

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »
http://www.postnewsline.com/2008/02/voodoo-priest-s.html

Voodoo Priest Says He Got Inspiration From Cameroon
By Innocent Mbunwe in Ghana

Ghanaian number one sports voodoo priest, popularly known as Okwonfor, told The Post in Accra, Ghana, that he got his inspiration from the Indomitable Lions in 1990.

When asked how, he said, "spiritually, I was born a voodoo priest, but when I saw a Cameroonian witchdoctor during the 1990 World Cup in Italy, perform all those incantations and the Lions got to the quarter finals, it inspired me. Knowing that I have those same powers, I decided to support the Black Stars of Ghana with it."

On how he has been helpful to the Black Stars, he said, "On the opening game between Ghana and Guinea, I brought two guinea fowls into the stadium and Ghana won 2-1. In our second encounter against Namibia, I carried one eagle and we beat Namibia 1- 0.

Then, came our third game against Morocco; I took two fowls to the stadium and the score was 2-0. Against Nigeria in the quarter-finals, I had an eagle and a fowl and we beat them 2-1."

About the semi-final match against Cameroon, "I will only know on the eve of the encounter," said Okwonfor.Voodoo is a kind of spiritual force and is alleged to have started in Benin, where it is more or less a state religion, before being taken to Haiti and elsewhere by slaves.

At the AFCON 2008, it is common to see several Ghanaian fans carrying juju pots containing leaves and liquids in order to scare away all evil spirits and that brings them victory, as they claim.

"It seems to work, if you believe in this sort of thing," said a Ghanaian policeman. "Is it not a similar thing that happened in the 2002 semi-final match between Mali and Cameroon in Mali, where Cameroon coaches, Winfred Schafer and Thomas Nkono, were arrested by police for placing a magic charm on the pitch before the match?" the police added.

When it comes to football, many people have the belief that an extra force somewhere can do the trick for them. Even Europeans believe in it; reasons why some of England's top stars over the years like John Terry will tie his shin guard three times, Gary Neville will wear the same perfume every day he has a match, as reported by the English press some time ago.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:40:10 PM »
So if he carry a box of KFC to the game, what is the score then?

Do you keep hitting the post because is not a whole bird?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
So if he carry a box of KFC to the game, what is the score then?

Do you keep hitting the post because is not a whole bird?

I assume in Trinidad KFC, dey does use normal chickens, and not the mutations that they does use in the US.

But then again, what kinda KFC you carrying to the game?
You cyar carry a Zinger and Cruncher and expect to score goals.

... and then what if Im not sure anymore, if I want corn or cole slaw ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f0c9auWweg

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:53:17 PM by acb »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »

Mexico voodoo dolls kick up a fuss

MEXICO CITY (AFP) — A Mexican sports daily is seeking help for the national soccer team against the United States using voodoo dolls, despite losing support for the stunt from a US-based electronics chain.

Radio Shack on Wednesday ordered its Mexican division not to distribute some 8,700 voodoo dolls wearing US soccer shirts.

The dolls were promised in a promotion in the sports newspaper Record in exchange for printed cut-out dolls, Katia Santiago, at the Mexican Radio Shack's publicity department, told AFP.

Radio Shack argued "that a US company cannot support a situation that goes against the (national) team," Record said on its web site.

Record, which is supporting Mexico in regional knockout matches ahead of the 2010 South Africa World Cup, said the promotion would still go ahead and that it would shortly inform its readers of new distribution points.

"Imagine that it's a player from the opposite team and put pins where you want to," the newspaper said, calling the dolls a "secret weapon."

Mexico has not beaten the United States since 2000.

Mexico plays the United States on February 11 in Columbus, Ohio, in the CONCACAF qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup.

Record said it plans to expand the promotion to include dolls representing the other CONCACAF finalists: Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 04:27:06 AM »
Radio Shack cancels Mexico voodoo campaign

Radio Shack has withdrawn from a Mexican newspaper's promotional campaign inviting fans to prick voodoo dolls to boost the nation's soccer team in a Feb. 11 World Cup qualifier against the United States at Columbus, Ohio.

The Forth Worth, Texas-based company said in a statement that it wishes "the very best of luck" to Mexico, the U.S. and all teams in the final round of regional qualifying for next year's tournament.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 04:33:33 AM »
them people taking this voodoo thing for Joke.
EH Yuh remember papa neza. well dais meh granfadder! :devil: :devil:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mexico shows nothing in exhibition loss to Sweden
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 05:02:29 AM »
Mexico shows nothing in exhibition loss to Sweden

Bob Bradley had his scouts watching Wednesday night's soccer friendly between Mexico and Sweden, but it is doubtful that the U.S. national team coach learned much that will trouble him.

Mexico was abysmal in its 1-0 loss in front of an increasingly restless crowd of about 46,000 at the Oakland Coliseum that booed the unimaginative display by "El Tri."

One fan played taps on a trumpet when the final whistle sounded.

Bradley might not even bother showing the game tape to his players ahead of the U.S. team's Feb. 11 World Cup qualifier against Mexico in Columbus, Ohio.

(continue)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:06:05 AM by Zeppo »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico shows nothing in exhibition loss to Sweden
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 06:08:15 AM »
God, I wish our first game was against mexico...we definitely had a chance. Now by the time we bounce them up, Sven will be gone and they will be playing catch up so the game will be tougher.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico shows nothing in exhibition loss to Sweden
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 06:12:52 AM »
God, I wish our first game was against mexico...we definitely had a chance. Now by the time we bounce them up, Sven will be gone and they will be playing catch up so the game will be tougher.

wais dah saying "playin dead....................................."
I pity the fool....

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 04:38:49 PM »
all dat voodoo nonsense go backfire.....

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
leh we go Moruga yes..it have quantillia dolls dong dey ??( o wha ever he name is)

Sorry BM mother Cork Hocks has long passed away... (rip)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »
Eriksson's priorities change as Mexico lose again
foxsports

Mexico national team coach Sven-Goran Eriksson of Sweden reatcs during their World Cup 2010 qualifying soccer match against Honduras in San Pedro Sula November 19, 2008. REUTERS/Edgard Garrido (HONDURAS)

MEXICO CITY, Jan 29 (Reuters) - When Sven-Goran Eriksson took over as Mexico coach last June, the talk was of whether he could lead his new team to the World Cup semi-finals for the first time.

Barely six months later, doubts have emerged about whether he can can even get them to South Africa in 2010.

World Cup qualifying defeats away to Honduras and Jamaica have given ammunition to critics who warned Eriksson was not prepared for the idiosyncrasies of Mexican football and the coach's headache grew worse on Wednesday with a 1-0 defeat to his native Sweden in Oakland.

Mexico, who have won only once in their last six games, showed little creativity and gifted a goal to the Swedes, losing the ball as they tried to play their way out of defence.

"I think we have to try and score goals when he have the opportunity and create more chances," said Eriksson on the Mexican federation's Web site ((http://www.femexfut.org.mx).

"We also made mistakes in defence."

The defeat could not have come at a worse time with Mexico due to visit arch-rivals United States for a World Cup qualifier on Feb. 11.

EUROPEAN PROBLEMS

The game kicks off the CONCACAF qualifying competition's final stage which is played as a six-team mini-league.

The top three teams qualify directly for South Africa and the fourth plays off over two legs against the fifth-placed team from South America.

If Mexico lose away to the U.S., as their recent record of two wins their last 10 meetings suggests they will, then the trips to Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Trinidad will loom very large.

Eriksson, the former England boss, is facing serious selection problems with Mexico's European-based players either injured or struggling to get first-team football.

The country's younger players, including the members of the team which won the under-17 World Cup, have still to live up to their potential and his decision to call up naturalised players to fill the gaps has sparked controversy, much to Eriksson's bemusement.

Eriksson tried to put a brave face on the whole situation after the Sweden defeat.

"For me, this game wasn't entirely negative," he said. "There were a lot of positive things, I liked the attitude, it was a good game and it cleared up some doubts.

"We had some chances to score a goal, we fought hard and we have two weeks to improve before we face and try to beat the United States.

"Of course, we have a chance to win the first game of (final stage of) the qualifying tournament," he added.

"It will be difficult, we know it will be a tough game, as history suggests, but we are going to work with optimism."

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
Hopefully this match would end in a draw.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 06:07:47 PM »
Is USA really that strong. ?   Their B team couldn't beat our struggling A team but they acting like Mexico in real trouble.  Like it have no way they could loose come game time.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »
Is USA really that strong. ?   Their B team couldn't beat our struggling A team but they acting like Mexico in real trouble.  Like it have no way they could loose come game time.
PEOPLE DOH SEEM TO REMEMBER LITTLE THINGS LIKE THAT,MEXICO ALWAYS PLAY CRAP BEFORE DE BIG MATCH.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 02:10:37 AM »
Is USA really that strong. ?   Their B team couldn't beat our struggling A team but they acting like Mexico in real trouble.

Who said that Mexico is in real trouble?
- Xavi

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 06:08:04 AM »
Bradley Recalls 20 Players to Carson to Begin Preparations For FIFA World Cup Qualifier Against Mexico.

CHICAGO (Jan. 29, 2009) — U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Bob Bradley has called 20 players back to U.S. Soccer's National Training Center at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., to begin preparations for the USA’s first match of final round qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. The U.S. will take on regional rivals Mexico on Feb. 11 in front of a sold-out crowd at Columbus Crew Stadium live on ESPN2, ESPN2 HD and Univision beginning at 7 p.m. ET. The match can be heard live on the Futbol de Primera radio networks, and fans can also follow along on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker.

The 20-man group is made up almost entirely of players who participated in the previous camp from Jan. 4-24 at the HDC, with Columbus Crew defender and two-time World Cup veteran Frankie Hejduk the only new addition. The U.S. team will train in Carson for nine days before departing on Feb. 7 for Columbus.

Fourteen of the players on the roster appeared in the USA’s 3-2 win against Sweden on Jan. 24, including midfielder Sacha Kljestan, who became the second player in U.S. history to score his first three goals all in the same game. Both Robbie Rogers and Chris Wingert made their debut for the full team in the victory.

Tickets for the USA-Mexico clash sold out in 90 minutes following the beginning of the public sale. The match is the first of 10 in the final round hexagonal that will determine the three automatic entrants from CONCACAF into the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. In addition to qualifying, the U.S. will compete in the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in June, having been drawn into Group B along with five-time World Cup winners Brazil, current World Champion Italy, and Egypt. Just days after the tournament, the U.S. will begin its defense of the CONCACAF Gold Cup title.

U.S. Men’s National Team Roster By Position

GOALKEEPERS (3): Jon Busch (Chicago Fire), Will Hesmer (Columbus Crew), Matt Pickens (Colorado Rapids)

DEFENDERS (5): Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Ugo Ihemelu (Colorado Rapids), Chris Wingert (Real Salt Lake), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Brian Carroll (Columbus Crew), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Jack Jewsbury (Kansas City Wizards), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), John Thorrington (Chicago Fire)

FORWARDS (4): Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire)

NOTE -

Team to Train at The Home Depot Center for Nine Days Before Heading to Columbus

Sold-Out Match Against Mexico on Feb. 11 to be Broadcast on ESPN2, ESPN2 HD and Univision

U.S.-Mexico FIFA World Cup Qualifier in Columbus Sells Out in 90 Minutes
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>