March 29, 2024, 05:33:28 AM

Author Topic: Thread for the USA vs Mexico game (11-Feb-2009).  (Read 17384 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Thread for the USA vs Mexico game (11-Feb-2009).
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 06:12:19 AM »
Radio Shack withdraws from Mexico soccer-voodoo promo.

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Radio Shack has withdrawn from a Mexican newspaper's promotional campaign inviting fans to prick voodoo dolls to boost the nation's soccer team in a Feb. 11 World Cup qualifier against the United States at Columbus, Ohio.
The Fort Worth-based company said in a statement that it wishes "the very best of luck" to Mexico, the U.S. and all teams in the final round of regional qualifying for next year's tournament.

The Mexican sports daily Record had published an ad for the campaign on Tuesday, printing coupons for fans to clip and redeem at their local Radio Shack store for a voodoo-doll likeness of a U.S. player.

An illustration showed a pair of scissors slicing off the leg of a doll in a U.S. jersey; the doll grimaced in pain with its arms covered in bruises, as stuffing leaked from its No. 10 jersey, stuck with pushpins.

Record said it hoped young people would gather around televisions for the match and "apply punishments to our rivals," giving Mexico an edge to end a decade of winless play versus the Americans on U.S. soil.

But a day later, Radio Shack reversed course.

"In their desire to support their national team in the soccer World Cup, our recently acquired operation in Mexico was interested in participating," the company said in a statement. "Upon notification of our potential involvement, Radio Shack Corp. has decided not to participate."

Record marketing manager Daniel Paz confirmed that Radio Shack notified the paper of its withdrawal Wednesday.

"It surprises us," he told The Associated Press.

He reiterated that the campaign was always intended as a "novel and fun" fun way of elevating the profile of next month's match.

"As things are, the promotion will continue," he said, adding that the paper was in talks with several businesses interested in taking over.

Record said previously it had created 10,000 dolls and planned to expand the promotion to include effigies representing the other finalists in the North and Central American and Caribbean region: Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, and Trinidad and Tobago.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
i talk to a mexican pardner in the gym last night bout this. he say he peeps go be happy with a tie in this game. they know USA better than them now and they eh like sven. they doh believe a european know about their style to be successful.

my prediction - USA 2: MEX 0

the game sell out in 90 minutes BTW. i feel d yank supporters go be getting on bad.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »
i talk to a mexican pardner in the gym last night bout this. he say he peeps go be happy with a tie in this game. they know USA better than them now and they eh like sven. they doh believe a european know about their style to be successful.

my prediction - USA 2: MEX 0

the game sell out in 90 minutes BTW. i feel d yank supporters go be getting on bad.

that stadium will be half immigrants...

i expect a good battle on the field... 3-1 USA

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 02:22:05 PM »

that stadium will be half immigrants...

Nah, it will clearly be pro-Yank, just like all the qualifiers are there.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »
Mexico winning....this is the worst yankee side since 1990
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »

Then I suppose we'll be getting another win in T&T!

;D
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
While some may feel that this is the worst USA side etc etc...the fact remains that they have been a consistant bunch...and with the state of Mexicos game right now I predict a 3-0 USA victory.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
So we call them a sh!t side on the forum, the scouts/ managers and owners have listened ....

One star already get sent on loan ... and look what happen to another one:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AnfRA6fFEvIIaNq0n4OMreomw7YF?slug=goal_kljestan_price_tag&prov=goal&type=lgns
The move of American midfielder Sacha Kljestan to Scottish giants Celtic seems to have been called off. According to the Evening Times the Scottish outfit was not willing to pay the $3.5 million US price tag for the 23-year-old.

Other consideration such as incentives for games played and a sell-on clause were also part of the deal and could’ve played a role in Celtic’s decision to look elsewhere.

Kljestan spent six days on trial with the Hoops prior to returning to U.S. National Team camp, but apparently did not impress enough to warrant such a large investment.

However, Celtic was not the only team showing interest in Kljestan. A move to Europe could still happen for the American who opened his account with the National with a stylish hat-trick against Sweden.

Clubs in Holland and Germany are both reportedly interested in bringing in the playmaking midfielder, but with the transfer window coming to a close the Chivas USA start might have to wait until the summer to realize his European dreams.

Kljestan is back in training with the U.S. National Team in Carson, California preparing for the February 11th showdown with CONCACAF rivals Mexico.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »
My View: Can USA Qualify With Flair?
By Mike Woitalla (socceramerica.com)

THE USA WON'T HAVE MUCH trouble qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, but we should expect more. Getting its first win in Mexico and playing impressive soccer would be nice.

It was in the 69th minute of the USA's game in Mexico City's Azteca Stadium in 1997 that the Americans pulled it off. They got the Mexican fans, who numbered 114,000, to turn on their own team.

The Steve Sampson-coached Americans lost defender Jeff Agoos in the 32nd minute to a red card from Argentine referee Javier "The Sheriff" Castrilli for elbowing Pavel Pardo. But the Mexicans could not take advantage.

And late in the second half the Mexican fans began jeering El Tri - not even sparing the popular goalkeeper Jorge Campos when he picked up the ball. They shouted for the ouster of Coach Bora Milutinovic.

When Castrilli awarded Mexico a throw-in after the Americans appealed it was theirs, they booed The Sheriff. And they chanted "Ole!" to each U.S. pass.

The game ended in a 0-0 tie, the best result ever for the USA in Mexico City, where the USA has lost all its other 19 games against El Tri dating back to 1937.

The USA and Mexico, which also tied on U.S. soil before the Azteca draw, both qualified for the 1998 World Cup. In the next two qualifying campaigns, with Bruce Arena as U.S. coach, the Concacaf region's two giants each won their home games against the other and both qualified.

This time around, as the USA aims to reach the World Cup a sixth straight time, it begins the final round of qualifying by hosting Mexico Feb. 11 in Columbus, Ohio.

For sure, opening in the USA has to be the worst-case scenario for the Mexicans, who have recently been in poor form. In the semifinal round, Mexico went winless in its last three games and only advanced to the Hexagonal ahead of Jamaica thanks to goal difference. And Mexico is winless - eight losses and two ties - at the USA since 2000.

There's something about facing the USA north of the border that frays the Mexican players' nerves. Perhaps the prospect of losing to the nation with which it shares a 2,000-mile border - and where more than 20 million people of Mexican descent reside - drains their confidence.

How else to explain that, in 2007, Mexico lost to the USA, 2-1, in Chicago in the Gold Cup final, then three days later defeated Brazil, 2-0, in Venezuela at the Copa America, which Brazil ended up winning?

It's why psychologists have gone on Mexican TV to discuss the failings of the Mexican mentality when the national team faces the USA.

Besides having to travel to Ohio to start the Hexagonal, the Mexicans are also hurt by how the draw placed their home game against the Americans. They host on Aug. 12, which is a Wednesday. In the past, Mexico has welcomed the Americans on Sundays, when they can play at noon, in the midday sun.

The fact that more Mexican players than ever are playing in Europe - El Tri fielded as many as eight European-based players in the semifinal round - has actually become a handicap. Fielding mainly domestic players in the past enabled El Tri to hold lengthy training camps with a full squad.

The foreign-based players will be late arrivals for Mexico's home game. And flying in from Europe means their adjustment to playing at altitude will be just as challenging as it is for their opponents.

Only once has Mexico lost a World Cup qualifier at Azteca, in 2001 when Costa Rica won, 2-1. The time is ripe for a first-ever U.S. victory at Azteca.

Regardless of the results between the two archrivals, they'll both get to South Africa. Of the Hexagonal teams, three qualify automatically, and the fourth-place team faces South America's No. 5 for a spot.

In the last three qualifying campaigns, the USA has clinched a spot before their last Hexagonal game. It qualified for Germany 2006 with three games left.

For however much U.S. players and coaches like to talk about how difficult it is to play on the road against Central American and Caribbean opponents - invoking bad fields and hostile crowds - it ain't that tough.

Including the earlier rounds of 2010 qualifying, the USA has traveled to 11 Concacaf countries in World Cup qualifying this decade. Not including games after which it had already clinched passage into the next round or the World Cup itself, the USA has lost only to Mexico and Costa Rica. And at home, the USA has lost only once over the last two decades, covering 30 World Cup qualifying games.

After its Feb. 11 game against Mexico, the USA travels to El Salvador, which hasn't qualified for a World Cup since 1982 and has never beaten the USA in qualifying.

The third opponent is Trinidad & Tobago, which qualified for its first World Cup in 2006, finishing fourth in the Hexagonal to earn a playoff with Bahrain. The USA dismantled T&T convincingly, 3-0, in Illinois last September in the semifinal round. The Americans had already advanced when Coach Bob Bradley sent an experimental squad out in Port of Spain for the rematch the Soca Warriors won, 2-1, for their first ever qualifying win over the USA. They shouldn't pose any problems for the Americans in the Hexagonal.

Aside from the drama the Mexico opener promises, playing at Costa Rica on June 3 - the game has been moved up a week to free  the USA to head for the Confederations Cup - provides the most exciting challenge for Bradley's team in the first half of the Hexagonal.

Besides Mexico, the Ticos are the only team with a winning record against the USA in qualifying and are notoriously strong at home, where they now play on artificial turf. They would be favorites to finish in the top three along with the USA and Mexico were it not for Honduras, which finished ahead of Mexico, Jamaica and Canada in the semifinal round.

Honduras beat the USA in Washington, D.C., in 2001 after falling to the Americans in San Pedro Sula. But for however troublesome the Catrachos and Ticos can be for the USA, they tend to slip up against other opponents.

Judging from past qualifying campaigns, including the semifinal round last year that included a dour 1-0 win at Cuba, the USA is likely to grind out the results it needs on the road, play a bit more impressively at home, and book a ticket to South Africa.

When they claw their way to collecting the points they need to qualify, the players will explain that these games are "battles" and not meant to be "pretty."

But this time around, the bar should be set higher. The USA should be able to outplay their opponents regardless of the venue with superior soccer - a possession game, clever buildup, and flair.

The true measure of Bradley's team will be if it offers better soccer than what we've seen in the last three qualifying campaigns. It isn't too much to ask for a sign of real progress - and for a win in Mexico.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 06:56:05 PM »
U.S. Men’s National Team Roster vs. Mexico

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa: 4/3 SO), Tim Howard (Everton FC: 7/5 SO)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes: 16/2), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA, 1/0), Danny Califf (FC Midtjylland: 3/0), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew: 14/1), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege: 12/1), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock: 7/0), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC: 0/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers: 21/6), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach: 6/2), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo: 3/0), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA: 6/0), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew: 0/0), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca: 1/0)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Xerez C.D.: 3/1), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo: 12/6), Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF: 1/1) Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC: 12/4), Landon Donovan (Bayern Munich: 25/9)
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 07:23:09 AM »
Pardo: We have to qualify
(FIFA.com)

Pavel Pardo is one of the mainstays of Mexican football. A veteran of 142 internationals with El Tricolor and two FIFA World Cups™, he is one of the few Mexican players still in action who knows how it feels to beat USA in their own backyard; a triumph he will be hoping to repeat when the two meet again in Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday.

Just weeks after returning from a successful stay with Stuttgart in Germany, the Mexico captain spoke exclusively to FIFA.com about the forthcoming derby, and what the future holds for him and El Tri.

FIFA.com: Pavel, there are just a few days until the region's final qualifying group for South Africa 2010 begins. How do you feel about Mexico's chances?
Pavel Pardo: Very good, I have to say. In training we are working hard on tactical, offensive and defensive aspects and things are looking better and better all the time. It's been a while since we've been able to train for a whole week with Sven-Goran Eriksson, although it wasn't that easy before because we had a lot of players in Europe and we couldn't work the way we are at the moment.

Having time to prepare is important for you?

I think so. I also feel we need to have the core of the team here in Mexico. When the nucleus was in Europe it was a lot harder to do all this integration work.

Your first game in the final six-team group takes you to the USA. Will that be your most difficult match?
Every game is difficult and it's going to be a very tough group. It's a key match, for sure, but it's not a final and there are other vital games ahead. We've got nine other matches and every one of them is crucial to our hopes. If things don't work out for us in one match, then there's no need to worry, as long as we pick up as many points as possible in the other fixtures.

Will the cold weather in Columbus make life harder for Mexico?
I don't think so. We've already faced them there and the players who are coming back from Europe are used to it. The conditions will be the same for both of us and I honestly don't think it's going to have any impact on the game.

Mexico have had some poor results lately. Would you say you are struggling?
There's always criticism and pressure, and those are things we've had to put up with in every qualification campaign I've been involved in and with every coach I've played under. As players we need to be very sure about what we are doing. As I said before, we can't just think about USA. We need to focus on all the qualifiers ahead of us.

The expectations are still the same, then?
We have no option but to qualify for the World Cup. For me it's even more important this time as it will be my last one. I'm sure the project will be a success and with the players we've got I think we can go beyond the second round. No matter what your objective is, there will always be obstacles and defeats. What you have to do is pick yourself up and reach your objective, and although the team's going through a tough patch we can put all that behind us with some good results.

Having played in Europe do you still feel it's an essential step for other Mexican footballers to take?
Yes, I still feel that way and that's why I also think it's good for the national team to have people in Europe, including those of us who've been and come back. The level of competition and the mentality are different there. Once you get used to it, you start to feel the difference and I'm convinced that having so many players there has brought about a change in the national team.

You played in the Bundesliga and the UEFA Champions League. How does the Mexican championship compare?
It's different. Our league isn't easy because sometimes you have to play at midday at 2,400 metres above sea level, and the following week you're at sea level playing in 40-degree heat. Mexican football is very competitive and although you might see better matches in Europe, you have to remember that they play in the afternoon or evening there and that's when players perform at their best. People in Mexico sometimes ask why the pace of the game is so slow but it's got a lot to do with the conditions. I still think it's a very entertaining league.

You are 32 now. How long do you intend to keep playing at the highest level?
Three more years, maybe four. It all depends on how I feel physically and mentally at the end of each season. If I'm in good shape, I'll carry on. You can be sure of that.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mexicans turn to voodoo ahead of crucial U.S. match
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
Mexicans turn to voodoo ahead of crucial U.S. match

By Mike Steere
For CNN

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Mexico football fans are adopting voodoo tactics ahead of Wednesday's crucial World Cup Qualifier with regional rivals the United States.

Funny or freaky? Voodoo dolls of U.S. players have been issued in Mexico ahead of a crucial football game.

Both sides will be looking to make a strong start to the final phase of qualifying for South Africa 2010, when they meet in the match at Columbus, Ohio. Mexico haven't won in the U.S. for ten years.

In the hope of boosting their team's chances, Mexican sport magazine 'Record' has issued coupons for U.S. team voodoo dolls -- which could be attained with five different stamps from the publication.

The move has also been supported by U.S. chain Blockbuster, which began trading the coupons for dolls in its Mexican stores last week.

Complete with pins, the dolls represent U.S. players, however, users are instructed to wish for Mexican goals, rather than hoping for harm upon the U.S. players.

The practise of using voodoo dolls stems from the belief they represent the spirit of a person. It's believed that by taking actions upon the doll, the represented person will be affected.

Fans will have to wait until the full-time whistle on Wednesday to see if the dolls have made an impact.

Read about other football superstitions, including David Beckham's "Golden buns" at Football Fanzone.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mexicans turn to voodoo ahead of crucial U.S. match
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »

this old ,but still wrong ..next thing men die or geh sick in troot.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Mexicans turn to voodoo ahead of crucial U.S. match
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 02:50:03 PM »
I suspect that if Sven loss this match he will be out of a job. He under real pressure at the moment.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mexico vs USA
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »
Temp 5 mins to kick-off: a comfortable 54 degrees. Strong headwind.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico vs USA
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 06:06:19 PM »
any1 have a link

i not seeing the game on any channel

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »
ESPN 2 bringing the game in the States. Check Univison also.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
any1 have a link

it on univision
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
any1 have a link

it on univision

I have flow and both espn's have different stuff

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »
at least ah taping DVR-ing dis game  ;D ah hoping for ah 0 - 0 final  :devil:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
Try justin.tv for link up.

http://www.justin.tv/sportswii1

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2009, 06:16:28 PM »
any1 have a link

it on univision

I have flow and both espn's have different stuff

yuh have espn2? it showing dey.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
Howard just save the USA, should have been 1-0 Mexico.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Should be a good game...

Wonder if they have black people in Mexico ? as I have never seen one play for Mexico.

There are African people in Mexico(mainly on the coastal areas in the South and also in Vera Cruz) and Melvin Brown who is black-Mexican has already played for Mexico.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2009, 06:21:17 PM »
sven doh look good in green at all

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »
any1 have a english comm justintv link?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
this game is always have real vibes in it

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »
it's only a matter of time before dos santos scores..

this game have real vibe!

1]; } ?>