April 27, 2024, 06:29:43 PM

Poll

Which of two socawarrior strikers have your full backing for a sure position on the starting 11?

Jason Scotland
48 (24.5%)
Cornell Glen
27 (13.8%)
Errol McFarlane
4 (2%)
Stern John
13 (6.6%)
Darryl Roberts
9 (4.6%)
Kevaughn Connell
2 (1%)
Kenwyne Jones
93 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Striker Selection  (Read 10815 times)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Striker Selection
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2009, 06:44:33 PM »
jason scotland never impressed me for trinidad but we have to give him another chance.

the man plays like a beast for the club level and is a goal-scoring machine. to me it's only a matter of time before that form translates to his play for T&T given a fair opportunity.

according to some people, scotty doing everything wrong as a striker and scoring once in every 6 tries @ goal. well let me just say, that swansea midfield must be the bomb to be creating 6 opportunities a game only for scotty to throw away 5 of them.

let's not forget that some of our best players took a while to translate good club form into good form for T&T - yorke (as mentioned before) and a few years ago, carlos edwards.

in my book, you can't argue with a forward who scoring goals at a high level. goals will always be the #1 selection criterion. if you scoring goals, you deserve a chance.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
jason scotland never impressed me for trinidad but we have to give him another chance.

the man plays like a beast for the club level and is a goal-scoring machine. to me it's only a matter of time before that form translates to his play for T&T given a fair opportunity.

according to some people, scotty doing everything wrong as a striker and scoring once in every 6 tries @ goal. well let me just say, that swansea midfield must be the bomb to be creating 6 opportunities a game only for scotty to throw away 5 of them.

let's not forget that some of our best players took a while to translate good club form into good form for T&T - yorke (as mentioned before) and a few years ago, carlos edwards.

in my book, you can't argue with a forward who scoring goals at a high level. goals will always be the #1 selection criterion. if you scoring goals, you deserve a chance.

Well Said...  :beermug:

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »

He would"n score u know .Are you saying present form out weights years of non productivity .
JC yah done know Roberts on my team everytime .Hell I would put Glen and Jaggy ahead of Scotland .........but he has to get a shift to prove us wrong ,is only fear for his good year ,and if he does click ,god have mercy ,on our opponents .
 And he might ,cause I remember for the WC ,I just knew this man would score if he played ,with all of Scotland pulling for him ,never happened ........thing is he doh play there again so like he lose he fire .Like all of Trinbago eint good enough to spark that fire .
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:01:47 PM by Quagmire »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 12:07:30 AM »

He would"n score u know .Are you saying present form out weights years of non productivity .
JC yah done know Roberts on my team everytime .Hell I would put Glen and Jaggy ahead of Scotland .........but he has to get a shift to prove us wrong ,is only fear for his good year ,and if he does click ,god have mercy ,on our opponents .
 And he might ,cause I remember for the WC ,I just knew this man would score if he played ,with all of Scotland pulling for him ,never happened ........thing is he doh play there again so like he lose he fire .Like all of Trinbago eint good enough to spark that fire .
Yeh form is alright , but when ah fella need ah clear shot on goal tuh score , he's placed in the category of dime ah dozen striker, in the world of football.

forinstance look @ boby zamora , jason roberts , marlon hearwood, sean write, benjani,Zlatan, all dime ah dozen, but when yuh come tuh man like cisse, anelka, torres, christiano(even though he's ah attacking mid) artteta, KJ ,owens, martins, dem men does score some impossible goals at some ridiculous angles somtimes yuh wonder how the hell they do that boy.

well scotty in the zamora , hearwood catagory, they does miss too many clear cut opportunities, and hit 1 out of 5, but in todays world of technical football where the bar has been lifted and it becomes ah lot more difficult tuh score goals, why go for the run of the mill striker when yuh have ah proficient striker tuh play, but leaves him on the bench or exclude him from selection.

allyuh cyar be serious by saying scotland, glenn , wolf, tussant, can produce more than roberts, them men is heart break players like gary glassgow, i doh waste time wid that, if we want tuh win and win big then roberts and stern have tuh start along side KJ, if allyuh want tuh cry and get goodie in the process, then let glenn and scotty play, allyuh go cry blood for the whole campaign!!

allyuh better buy some XXL jock strap before going tuh the stadium BC allyuh will need it when scotty commence swinging on allyuh stones like tarzan!! mark my words he will not produce.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:44:29 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 04:00:12 AM »

Yeh form is alright , but when ah fella need ah clear shot on goal tuh score , he's placed in the category of dime ah dozen striker, in the world of football.

forinstance look @ boby zamora , jason roberts , marlon hearwood, sean write, benjani,Zlatan, all dime ah dozen, but when yuh come tuh man like cisse, anelka, torres, christiano(even though he's ah attacking mid) artteta, KJ ,owens, martins, dem men does score some impossible goals at some ridiculous angles somtimes yuh wonder how the hell they do that boy.

well scotty in the zamora , hearwood catagory, they does miss too many clear cut opportunities, and hit 1 out of 5, but in todays world of technical football where the bar has been lifted and it becomes ah lot more difficult tuh score goals, why go for the run of the mill striker when yuh have ah proficient striker tuh play, but leaves him on the bench or exclude him from selection.

allyuh cyar be serious by saying scotland, glenn , wolf, tussant, can produce more than roberts, them men is heart break players like gary glassgow, i doh waste time wid that, if we want tuh win and win big then roberts and stern have tuh start along side KJ, if allyuh want tuh cry and get goodie in the process, then let glenn and scotty play, allyuh go cry blood for the whole campaign!!

allyuh better buy some XXL jock strap before going tuh the stadium BC allyuh will need it when scotty commence swinging on allyuh stones like tarzan!! mark my words he will not produce.

The only problem is we cyar start with 3 forwards.
I would start with KJ and Stern.
KJ because he is KJ and Stern because of his ability and experience, then tweak it with the wealth of talent we have.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »
They have ah saying "strike the iron while it's hot" Well in this situation we should while Scotty is playing at the level he is right now. It is important that you start this guy. If we start him for the first game against El Salvador and he does not produce or give them trouble in the front line, then you relegate him back to the bench, but as for now he must start.

Right now it ent really about who is we favorite player etc etc. Is who on fire will get blaze!!  ;)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:08:44 AM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
They have ah saying "strike the iron while it's hot" Well in this situation we should while Scotty is playing at the level he is right now. It is important that you start this guy. If we start him for the first game against El Salvador and he does not produce or give them trouble in the front line, then you relegate him back to the bench, but as for now he must start.

Right now it ent really about who is we favorite player etc etc. Is who on fire will get blaze!!  ;)

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
Just Cool-

I think that you are right in that Roberts is the long will be our most promising striker. I feel he will be de first to play in Spain. Really like de way he does play. However Scotty is on fire... no doubt. So the selection goes to him.

However the blatant problem with the National Team has never been our Strikers.... Leonson, Latas, Stern, Yorke, Glenn..... what is our main problem, no we had apt men to fill that slot, but.... defense and Mids are the problem right?.... How much game we does play on de defensive? I think that Roberts could fill in as a winger or attacking midfielder... and at Concacaf level this yute will do well. I agree that he will be good for starting but not as a striker... not when KJ and Scotty lighting up goalies.... (btw) we need to also how much goals KJ does score from pouncing on assist. If we have no one to give him an assist then we just above average....

But Good debate on your end....

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
Just Cool-

I think that you are right in that Roberts is the long will be our most promising striker. I feel he will be de first to play in Spain. Really like de way he does play. However Scotty is on fire... no doubt. So the selection goes to him.

However the blatant problem with the National Team has never been our Strikers.... Leonson, Latas, Stern, Yorke, Glenn..... what is our main problem, no we had apt men to fill that slot, but.... defense and Mids are the problem right?.... How much game we does play on de defensive? I think that Roberts could fill in as a winger or attacking midfielder... and at Concacaf level this yute will do well. I agree that he will be good for starting but not as a striker... not when KJ and Scotty lighting up goalies.... (btw) we need to also how much goals KJ does score from pouncing on assist. If we have no one to give him an assist then we just above average....

But Good debate on your end....
Breds , as a fella who watching T&T football for yrs, i've seen us play excellent football against more than worthy opponents and fell short BC we couldn't finish or had no finishers.

when we fell to the USA in 89 i went and got cable TV just to watch that game, it was ah huge mistake BC i couldn't sleep for ah few days after that! yuh want to know one of the reasons for us not advancing ?

we didn't have a finisher, ah fella who could run with the ball and create opportunities, of course there are other reasons, but the main reason was we didn't have ah finisher.

now i used to go home to trini quiet and watch meh games @ least once every few yrs, but of late i kinda cool off from travelling to watch we lose to JA.

i used to wonder why we can't beat these teams in concacaf and we have such great players, i soon came to the realization that we didn't have proficient goal scorers, then came stern john! ah man who has the instinct of ah ronaldo , pele, maradona, ah zidan, had it not been for that fella, we would've never had the recognition we attained in concacaf over the yrs.

and i wiil go as far as too say that if he was old enough to play in 89 , then we would've been to the WC twice.

now here we are agian and fellas telling me that we should give ah chance to ah fella i've seen play on ah few occasions just BC he's scoring goals, but they fail to realise what level of competition he's up against.

scotty is no doubt ah good player, but does he score under tremendous pressure, does he split defences, does he torture defenders ? is he mobile , is he unmarkable? well here goes, NOOO!!!

do you remember daryl roberts, the man who torture them bermudans till dey tongue was hanging out their head? then he hustled and helped out in defence, plus winning ball and running right back in attack? he made it easy for stern to come in and score  to put us through to the semi's.

i saw scotty in the first game live and 2 games later on TV, he was @ best mediocre, immobile, slow, no defensive play, the defenders had him in their back pockets like what they did to yorke and lewis in 89.

i have ah feeling that pancho doh like DR and has made it quite clear that he don't, the fact that he could select wolf and tausantt before ah top flight striker who score is a mystery bordering on the abominable. ah hope latas could be the vioce of reasoning to a self oppiniated joker.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »

Everyone has their own opinion. But every once in a while something is written that is so unbelievingly erroneous..it cyah pass. Zlatan..a dime a dozen? Oh shims man...He eh perfect..but he easily one of the most technically gifted ballers on de planet.. And he does score some unbelievable goals...KJ is we boy..but he close to dat yet. Of the names you call only Torres and C Ronaldo could hang wid dat. And SWP and Arteta are not forwards..Arteta especially not even close...

no disrespect. just feel yuh hadda watch some more Serie A

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »
scotty is no doubt ah good player, but does he score under tremendous pressure, does he split defences, does he torture defenders ? is he mobile , is he unmarkable? well here goes, NOOO!!!
There are different kinds of strikers. Scotty's role as a lone forward is not to "torture defenders" It's to hold the ball up front and link with oncoming midfielders. The question is: does T&T's midfield function well enough for that and/or do they serve up enough chances for Scotty to do what he does?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2009, 12:06:25 AM »
just cool...good stuff...and respect to your opinions...but have a drink
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2009, 05:47:35 AM »
Breds , as a fella who watching T&T football for yrs, i've seen us play excellent football against more than worthy opponents and fell short BC we couldn't finish or had no finishers.

when we fell to the USA in 89 i went and got cable TV just to watch that game, it was ah huge mistake BC i couldn't sleep for ah few days after that! yuh want to know one of the reasons for us not advancing ?

we didn't have a finisher, ah fella who could run with the ball and create opportunities, of course there are other reasons, but the main reason was we didn't have ah finisher.

now i used to go home to trini quiet and watch meh games @ least once every few yrs, but of late i kinda cool off from travelling to watch we lose to JA.

i used to wonder why we can't beat these teams in concacaf and we have such great players, i soon came to the realization that we didn't have proficient goal scorers, then came stern john! ah man who has the instinct of ah ronaldo , pele, maradona, ah zidan, had it not been for that fella, we would've never had the recognition we attained in concacaf over the yrs.

and i wiil go as far as too say that if he was old enough to play in 89 , then we would've been to the WC twice.

now here we are agian and fellas telling me that we should give ah chance to ah fella i've seen play on ah few occasions just BC he's scoring goals, but they fail to realise what level of competition he's up against.

do you remember daryl roberts, the man who torture them bermudans till dey tongue was hanging out their head? then he hustled and helped out in defence, plus winning ball and running right back in attack? he made it easy for stern to come in and score  to put us through to the semi's.

i saw scotty in the first game live and 2 games later on TV, he was @ best mediocre, immobile, slow, no defensive play, the defenders had him in their back pockets like what they did to yorke and lewis in 89.

i have ah feeling that pancho doh like DR and has made it quite clear that he don't, the fact that he could select wolf and tausantt before ah top flight striker who score is a mystery bordering on the abominable. ah hope latas could be the vioce of reasoning to a self oppiniated joker.

it's pacho

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2009, 06:48:26 AM »

Everyone has their own opinion. But every once in a while something is written that is so unbelievingly erroneous..it cyah pass. Zlatan..a dime a dozen? Oh shims man...He eh perfect..but he easily one of the most technically gifted ballers on de planet.. And he does score some unbelievable goals...KJ is we boy..but he close to dat yet. Of the names you call only Torres and C Ronaldo could hang wid dat. And SWP and Arteta are not forwards..Arteta especially not even close...

no disrespect. just feel yuh hadda watch some more Serie A
Breds! Zlatan Ibrahimovich is the reason i don't like tuh watch INTER anymore. the man real wortliss dread, i doh know how he used to sweat before suazo, that fella does throw away some of the most basic of opportuniries, and yes he does score some imposible goals , but he does dump 5 before he hit one.

FYI KJ is ah class act. the bredder don't get ah bligh from the defenders in the league, is like they does stick to the man like crazy glue not giving him an inch of space in the 3rd half, and he does still score.

if Ibrahimovich was under such scrutiny he would score once every 8 games trust meh ! why yuh think david james came @ the fella like that , BC KJ buss his net twice that same season and he couldn't afford it ah 3rd time especially on the international level.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »

it's pacho
Yuh back on that agian!! what's it to you anyway fella, pancho is yuh fadder or what? stuueeppsss!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
just cool..

if is one ting, iz ah man does really look forward to reading yuh post and dem.. But at the end of the day yuh coming in from ah real subjective standpoint in this one..

your reasons for supporting Darryl over Scotty seem all to do with personal opinions about his natural ability, which implies that no matter if Scotty rack up 40 goals this season, he not good enough for a start in your books.

Now lemme tell you what I see as the positives about scotty.. No player on a team right now could collect a ball with his back to goal and turn on a shilling like Scotty can.. No player can hit a ball from outside the box with either foot with a high level of accuracy like scotty.. No player we have can operate in tight spaces like scotty right now..

you must be not watching the highlights week in week out to say most of his goals have been penalties and easy goals.. The most recent goals he score, the one against Preston i think (playoff rival), de man collect on top the 18, lose the defender with ah swivel, and slap home bottom corner with left foot. He score ah brace in the Burnley game (EPL promotion contender), where he earn the PK for the first goal and good finish for the second. Look the video HERE.  Then the portsmouth goal he score was a penalty, but the 1st goal is he who set it up with ah delightfully flighted thru ball. And in the other games, he set up nuff goal by terrorizing defences and other players feeding off the wreckage.

And we have little to judge him on in TT colors, but I thought he did extremely well leading the line in that Guatemala game. Especially with us down to 10 men, the man held up the ball nice and even create some havoc in the Guat defence. Look ah snippet here.....

Now I not sure what system Pacho and Latas coming with, whether we going 4-5-1 or 4-4-2, and whether we going to be knocking it more on the ground or playing a cobo brand. All that will influence which players best fit the system. I also not sure how a KJ/Scotty partnership will work up front because there will be an admitted lack of mobility. But I will say that Scotty should not be ignored given the form he is in.. And I also think Darryl should be tried in attacking midfield where we short on options right now, but as a striker he down the pecking order.

PS: so easy yuh take arrow chain up boy, you self!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2009, 09:11:44 AM »
Definitely agree in using Daryl as an attacking mid  :beermug:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
Breds! Zlatan Ibrahimovich is the reason i don't like tuh watch INTER anymore. the man real wortliss dread, i doh know how he used to sweat before suazo, that fella does throw away some of the most basic of opportuniries, and yes he does score some imposible goals , but he does dump 5 before he hit one.

FYI KJ is ah class act. the bredder don't get ah bligh from the defenders in the league, is like they does stick to the man like crazy glue not giving him an inch of space in the 3rd half, and he does still score.

if Ibrahimovich was under such scrutiny he would score once every 8 games trust meh ! why yuh think david james came @ the fella like that , BC KJ buss his net twice that same season and he couldn't afford it ah 3rd time especially on the international level.

jc..i hear yah. doh agree with you about Zlatan, but that is how it goes. respect to KJ. hoping the coaching staff come correct and get Daryll back in the side. Room in the side for Scotty and Glen too. They have a part to play imo.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:26:06 PM by Filho »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
Omar and filho , don't get me wrong , i defiantly feel scotty should be on the roster, ah just don't think he should start before roberts and john, and if he does then DR should @ least get ah 20 mins tuh show what he could do.

yuh can't see how the coach has been dissing this bredder! and giving every tom dick and harry ah bligh , but has ignored roberts since the 1st cuba game, and playing men who not scoring neither creating opportunities! now what kinda sh!t is that!

show me since the campaign started which strikers scored to keep us in the running besides roberts glenn and stern, most of our goals came from the midfield.

all the games scotty played he didn't score or even produce an assist, all the games wolf and toussant played had the same effect,how many goals they produced or helped produce.

YEh they(JS, AS, AW,CG,) alright but the two men who sure to score not getting games, and their replacements don't produce @ all! to be in contention we need strikers who could produce.

i'm afraid coach maturana don't know talent if it jumped up and bit him on the nose, i hope latas could be the voice of reasoning since that imps who he replaced was just ah huge hindrance in the way of progress, like his big dumb penny wise boss.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »
I not going on JC wagon but since the first Jamaica friendly I said that Darryl Roberts need to be on the team.

However I don't believe he should start over Scotty as a striker He is however versatile enough to play attacking mid and should do so.

With two strikers, Scotty and Glen. Let Scotty play the post up role and Glen play the free electron. When Scotty start to get tired bring on KJ or Stern to poison them. If Glen get tired then I would push Roberts up and make the change in midfield instead

If we keep playing with one striker I will play KJ - he do it whole of last season with sunderland and will be an asset defending corners as well as attacking them.

I purposely benching Stern to get him riled up. He seem to be lacking the fire these days and I know he have a allergic reaction to pine that does cause goal explosion

Connell need to find a club first.

Toussaint and all these other fellas should have gone to the Gold Cup, but the clearly show they can't make the grade.

The hardest part of all this is not figuring out which striker to start, but which midfield will play with those strikers. If you decide that Carlos and Dwight are automatic starters, and that Dwight can't play dmid by himself all game, so Birchall/a fit Whitley is one too, you have to have the courage to make a couple men ride pine - Latas, first and foremost, Keon Daniel secondly - or play three defenders. Nobody have the courage to do the first at home except Latas himself, I doh have the courage to do the second, and Maturana doh have the courage to do the third.

Dat is why roberts will always get a raw deal.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »
Ay allyuh fellas waxing eloquent. This is good stuff. Interesting.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 01:44:38 PM »
There are different kinds of strikers. Scotty's role as a lone forward is not to "torture defenders" It's to hold the ball up front and link with oncoming midfielders. The question is: does T&T's midfield function well enough for that and/or do they serve up enough chances for Scotty to do what he does?

he also  obviously hasnt seen the way he's been scoring his goals this year in the championship.

give the man another chance, plain and simple, he's earned a chance at the very least.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

1]; } ?>