March 28, 2024, 10:16:51 AM

Poll

Which of two socawarrior strikers have your full backing for a sure position on the starting 11?

Jason Scotland
48 (24.5%)
Cornell Glen
27 (13.8%)
Errol McFarlane
4 (2%)
Stern John
13 (6.6%)
Darryl Roberts
9 (4.6%)
Kevaughn Connell
2 (1%)
Kenwyne Jones
93 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Striker Selection  (Read 10643 times)

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Striker Selection
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
I think it should be a crime not to start Scotty and Jones if they both keep on rippin up the two top leagues in England so they both get my vote.

De fact that a man "rippin up" in England doesn't means he goh do de same with the national team - we need strikers who work well together etc - it's about chemistry and tactics.

I respect that but at the same time u can't just say look even though you guys are the best strikers currently we not gonna start one of you because we just don't think you guys work well together... I think u need to give them a chance and see if they can gel together i think they can scotty have two good foot and jones have pace and he is great in the air. And this is the first time they both been in such good goal scoring form and able to play for our national team.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »
Scotty could prob rip the EPL if he get a chance but he has yet to translate club success to international prowess.
that is the biggest conundrum about Jason for me
Scotty had two very good games against Guatemala and USA with his back to goal. He held up the ball well, linked the midfield well and had a few chances himself. Everything expected of a lone forward. Some men just have one track minds and limited expectations of what a forward should be. He didn't run at nobody or drop no beats, so they don't appreciate his contribution.
Yeah I have to temper my conundrumness and realise that scoring goals is not THE only thing that a player can do.
 Every game/opponent is different and strategies change to accommodate...so thanks again for your observation.....clarification: it was not a negative view that I had
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:23:42 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 11:39:06 AM »
Base on the system we play, I see KJ and CG starting, IF we go with 2 strikers...Scotty is a must on the team, coming on for Glenn in the 2nd half  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 12:11:10 PM »
Should we not build from the back to front? Seeing that we have little options in defense, that may be a given, but we have some options in the middle that we overlooking which will/should select the forwards that will play/start.

We have many forwards on fire but few of them are truly versatile. Stern basically has one type of game so too KJ and  even Scotty to a certain extent. The guys that can play all aspect of a forwad most effectively is Glenn. He can be strong and win the post up ball, the cross, or make the darts across, behind or true the defense.

And again a 4-5-1 is not necessarily a more defensive formation than the 4-4-2, as the 4-4-2 is basically the most complete formation there is. It's all in how  you use the formation, and we have not utilized the 4-5-1 effectively since Beenhaker.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
Scotty could prob rip the EPL if he get a chance but he has yet to translate club success to international prowess.
Scotty had two very good games against Guatemala and USA with his back to goal. He held up the ball well, linked the midfield well and had a few chances himself. Everything expected of a lone forward. Some men just have one track minds and limited expectations of what a forward should be. He didn't run at nobody or drop no beats, so they don't appreciate his contribution.

So men have a one track mind because they would not start Scotland in the hex? Steups.

Is not like its the first time Scotty been selected on the basis of scoring goals in a foreign league. He and Sealy have both been very successful in club play, but check the stats...show me where Scotty goal rate for Trini has ever matched his club rate. And a strikers role is not just to hold up the ball, its to score.

Obviusly Scotand is a good player, but players like Cornell Glen and Stern have had more success in international games than Scotland. To criticize people for taking that into consideraton and to say men doh support him because he doh drop beats enough is simplistic at best.

And is all fantasy eh, neither you or me matters one ass over whether Scotty get pick or not.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:47:35 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 01:43:33 PM »

So men have a one track mind because they would not start Scotland in the hex? Steups.

Is not like its the first time Scotty been selected on the basis of scoring goals in a foreign league. He and Sealy have both been very successful in club play, but check the stats...show me where Scotty goal rate for Trini has ever matched his club rate. And a strikers role is not just to hold up the ball, its to score.

Obviusly Scotand is a good player, but players like Cornell Glen and Stern have had more success in international games than Scotland. To say men doh support him because he doh drop beats enough is simplistic at best.

The question is do we have a midfield (creative) to support a player of Scottie Caliber?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »

Obviusly Scotand is a good player, but players like Cornell Glen and Stern have had more success in international games than Scotland. To criticize people for taking that into consideraton and to say men doh support him because he doh drop beats enough is simplistic at best.

And is all fantasy eh, neither you or me matters one ass over whether Scotty get pick or not.

Show me where Scotty got a consistent run in the side prior to the performances that Gillie Face mentioned for you to be talking about his goal rate at international level.

If he was getting called up but not selected for starts or getting cobo sweat, how yuh want de man to score goals?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »
well boy, I really am surprised that Jones get more votes that Stern

I know some ah all yuh in here have ah affinity for all things Stern

maybe the members of this site have finally turned the corner and realise he is ah pile ah goat shit

Més que un club.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:45 PM »

The question is do we have a midfield (creative) to support a player of Scottie Caliber?

That is it. If Mats team chemisrty is such that it allows Glen to express himself and score more goals than Scotty or KJ then why chook them in to score goals?

This is why old man Stern go surprise people...if Yorkie and Latas in that midfield against El Salvador Stern go be pushing ball in El Salvador net, regardless of how much goals KJ or Scotty scoring.

Maybe Scotty is a more comfortable fit for Mats than he was for Beenie or Latas, but either way you can't just magically export players from one context to the next and expect the exact same results.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 02:16:54 PM »
Should we not build from the back to front? Seeing that we have little options in defense, that may be a given, but we have some options in the middle that we overlooking which will/should select the forwards that will play/start.

We have many forwards on fire but few of them are truly versatile. Stern basically has one type of game so too KJ and  even Scotty to a certain extent. The guys that can play all aspect of a forwad most effectively is Glenn. He can be strong and win the post up ball, the cross, or make the darts across, behind or true the defense.

And again a 4-5-1 is not necessarily a more defensive formation than the 4-4-2, as the 4-4-2 is basically the most complete formation there is. It's all in how  you use the formation, and we have not utilized the 4-5-1 effectively since Beenhaker.

Ah think you see it de same way I do.  Jones, Scotland and Stern play somewhat similar to each other when they lineup for T&T.  Which is why I would not start any two out of those three together.  My starting lineup would include Glenn and any of those three.  Seeing the success that Jones is having plus his combination of size, speed and aerial prowess he would get my nod to start alongside Glenn.

If I were the coach Latapy would not be starting.  His place would go to Darryl Roberts if I used 4-5-1.  If I wanted to play 4-4-2 I would start Glenn and Jones.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 02:34:01 PM »
Show me where Scotty got a consistent run in the side prior to the performances that Gillie Face mentioned for you to be talking about his goal rate at international level.

If he was getting called up but not selected for starts or getting cobo sweat, how yuh want de man to score goals?

Yeah he get more than his fair share of shafts. But you telling me every coach from Beenhakker to Maturana treat him poorly? And why can't he score in a cobo sweat? I'm not saying he cant do the business, but he has yet to do it, cobo sweat and team chemistry not withstanding.

Nobody saying he does not deserve success or should not be on the team, but its just a fact that different players thrive in different environments.

If Stern and Scotty doing the same thing in training then Mats will probably start Stern just based on history.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »

My post didn't mention anyone's decision to start others ahead of Scotland. If men want to see KJ and Glen, me eh business. I self want to see how KJ and Roberts look. My post was in response to the question of his performance at international level. My post was also in response to several posters who, after two very good games from Scotland, cry him down because he wasn't running all over de place dribbling and pelting bullet.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »

Yeah he get more than his fair share of shafts. But you telling me every coach from Beenhakker to Maturana treat him poorly? And why can't he score in a cobo sweat? I'm not saying he cant do the business, but he has yet to do it, cobo sweat and team chemistry not withstanding.

Nobody saying he does not deserve success or should not be on the team, but its just a fact that different players thrive in different environments.

If Stern and Scotty doing the same thing in training then Mats will probably start Stern just based on history.

but you making my point for me.

It is well documented that Scotty has not had a run in team for a number of reasons that had nothing to do with his form or ability. Understandably he has been affected by the depth of top level talent in the striker position, with Stern and Kenwyne being favored.  He's also been affected by the cobo brand which employs 1 forward up front causing increased competition for places. And lets not forget the whole blacklist saga and the lengthy omission. Even when he got called up eventually he was making trips across the Atlantic to sit on the bench.

I find it real unfair to question a man international pedigree when he's not had sufficient opportunities to prove himself. And this is a man who was bussing de net in Scottish 2nd division and they say he lighting up ah easy league. Then he buss de net in the 1st division and they say well that is Scotland and question the quality... So he gone England and buss up de net in League One and they say that level too low. Now he bussing up the net in Championship and we eh hearing dem so again..

Fair is fair man. The man in lighting form.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »
My post didn't mention anyone's decision to start others ahead of Scotland. If men want to see KJ and Glen, me eh business. I self want to see how KJ and Roberts look. My post was in response to the question of his performance at international level. My post was also in response to several posters who, after two very good games from Scotland, cry him down because he wasn't running all over de place dribbling and pelting bullet.

[/quote]

Sorry for that misunderstanding.

If the coaches could accomodate Scotland's talents that will only make us better. I myself curious to see how he work with this midfield

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
Base on the system we play, I see KJ and CG starting, IF we go with 2 strikers...Scotty is a must on the team, coming on for Glenn in the 2nd half  :beermug:

Big Up!

I second this.
the days of T&T holding the ball and playing slow was never really in our blood.  Scotty is on fire lately but against El Salvador we need to attack, and attack fast.  We have the strike power to do so, and who better than Glenn and Jones to have El Salvador always having to run back and play catch up?  Especially on the counter I can see those 2 do some serious damage.  And bringing Scotland later in the game might not be such a bad idea...
whey boy!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 03:49:08 PM »

but you making my point for me.

It is well documented that Scotty has not had a run in team for a number of reasons that had nothing to do with his form or ability. Understandably he has been affected by the depth of top level talent in the striker position, with Stern and Kenwyne being favored.  He's also been affected by the cobo brand which employs 1 forward up front causing increased competition for places. And lets not forget the whole blacklist saga and the lengthy omission. Even when he got called up eventually he was making trips across the Atlantic to sit on the bench.

I find it real unfair to question a man international pedigree when he's not had sufficient opportunities to prove himself. And this is a man who was bussing de net in Scottish 2nd division and they say he lighting up ah easy league. Then he buss de net in the 1st division and they say well that is Scotland and question the quality... So he gone England and buss up de net in League One and they say that level too low. Now he bussing up the net in Championship and we eh hearing dem so again..

Fair is fair man. The man in lighting form.

Where I question his international pedigree? As for who ever say he was bussin up easy league that is them, nothing to do with my point. In fact I still think he could rip the EPL with good feeding.

What  I said was that his international success has not equalled his club success. That is just a fact, whatever the reasons. Same as Yorke club scoring rate VS international.  And look how Birchie does rep T&T, but ketching he skin to play in league 1. Don't mean shit.

IMO Scotty is clearly the best T&T striker in Europe since Yorke.  And no coach can ignore that, but if Scotty get a chance and don't repeat the club goalscoring for T&T that is just how it is.  

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »

Big Up!

I second this.
the days of T&T holding the ball and playing slow was never really in our blood.  Scotty is on fire lately but against El Salvador we need to attack, and attack fast.  We have the strike power to do so, and who better than Glenn and Jones to have El Salvador always having to run back and play catch up?  Especially on the counter I can see those 2 do some serious damage.  And bringing Scotland later in the game might not be such a bad idea...

Why do we need or should to attack fast?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »

I have a question for allyuh.........HOW MUCH GOALS YORKE WAS SCORING FOR US WHEN HE WAS RIPPING UP THE EPL?

Why wasnt the arguement the same?

Well said.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »
I think a way must be found for Daryll Roberts on this team,even though I did not pick him to start against ElSalvador,I feel he should  start ahead of Daniel
He has alot to offer

Just my two cents

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 10:48:56 PM »
Jones and roberts, jones and stern. glenn and scotty is fill in players.

Stop drinkin yuh flecking hateorade.... I talk to Scotty recently and he say he ready to blaze the concacaf, just like he blazing the Championship  :beermug:

Give Roberts two more guava season  :o
Look who talking bout drinking,yuh sure yuh not talking bout yuhself! How soon allyuh forget!

if what yuh mentioned was really the case, then we would not be having this convo, as a matter of fact this thread would've been a non issue!

but i will remind yuh. like yuh forget when scotty sh!t down he self in the bermuda game when pancho had robbie on the bench and bermuda buss we ass in we own back yard.

scotty was totally shut out the game, he couldn't even out run them big belly fat bermudans, and then matukakahole decide to bring on robbie in the 2nd leg and he produce one of the winning goals so we could advance to the next round.

had it not been for roberts goal, then bermuda or gautemala would've been playing El sh!tsnakedor on FEB 11th instead of us.

all who want tuh leave out stern and roberts is ungrateful c@ck sukers, when KJ was in plaster pariss it was stern  robbie and daniels who pull we through, but allyuh dogging dem now BC scotty scoring ah set ah penalties for swansea,

even cornell ain't want nothing with them two strikers, but allyuh go ahead and ask for scotty and cornell , if he scotty score 1 solitary goal for for the whole campaign then we should count ourselves lucky, Bc for me , ah slow non penetrative striker could easily be shut down, but ah mobile one does make opportunity for the midfielder and other strikers to score.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:21 PM »
some good points there Just Cool

dais the same big belly fella that was bowling on their cricket team :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2009, 12:05:19 AM »
Wasn't Scotty coming off Stomach surgery when he played in the Bermuda game? Alyuh working for the TTFF or what.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2009, 04:20:47 AM »
Wasn't Scotty coming off Stomach surgery when he played in the Bermuda game? Alyuh working for the TTFF or what.
Haul yuh a$$, if he was unwell then he should've been on the injured list , what about gautemala and usa the 2nd, wham he was just off liver surgery or what!!!!!!!!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
Haul yuh a$$, if he was unwell then he should've been on the injured list , what about gautemala and usa the 2nd, wham he was just off liver surgery or what!!!!!!!!!

Remember Mats and the crew say they did not know Scotty was injured.  :angel:

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
Just Cool I with yuh.  I cyah understand why Roberts get drop.  Maybe he need to put ah video on myspace or youtube too.  Hell, it work fuh Scotty.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »
how come Scott Sealy not on that list?
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
JC am harsh on Jason too eh ,but hes scoring to many goals not to give the man another chance to prove us wrong .

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »

yuh real unfair dread, and yuh memory short. The man had just come off stomach surgery and was admittedly unfit but Maturana say he need to come down for games...

plus the man played well against guatemala..

now i am a big darryl roberts fan eh, daz meh boy, but if we picking on form then Scotland have to get the nod over Darryl right now for the forward position.

however, let me add that i would like to see darryl selected as an attacking midfield option.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »

yuh real unfair dread, and yuh memory short. The man had just come off stomach surgery and was admittedly unfit but Maturana say he need to come down for games...

plus the man played well against guatemala..

now i am a big darryl roberts fan eh, daz meh boy, but if we picking on form then Scotland have to get the nod over Darryl right now for the forward position.

however, let me add that i would like to see darryl selected as an attacking midfield option.

agreed, and yeah he had a few dead games, buh yuh forget back in the day when he used to buss de net regular for Najjar, and other than Carlos edwards that Najjar team wasnt supplyin him with the best balls he was doin it on his own, and his ambi foot ability has always been a threat, at the least yuh could put some faith in him in the wake of his recent form which has been red hot.

I mean 8 goals from 8 games, 13 and he still have plenty game to play dis season, about 10+ assists.

come on.

(make that 9 in 9 btw)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:42:29 PM by Jefferz »
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2009, 06:10:31 PM »
JC am harsh on Jason too eh ,but hes scoring to many goals not to give the man another chance to prove us wrong .
Breds i not talking bout goal scoring, but running @ defenders, penetrating defence, scoring on 1/2 and 1/4 chances, not 6 tries @ goal before yuh could score one!

no one on the team does make use of their chances like roberts, the yute is ah pure finisher and waste very little chances, you ain't see the kinda tight angles this fella does score from,

scotty doh have dat kinda skill, i see scotty get shut down in the bahrain, bermuda, guatemala game and couldn't make ah note,

fellas like daryl and KJ are mobile players and are extremely difficult to shut down.

like allyuh forget is mostly penalties scotland scoring. remember daryl roberts is leading goal scorer for his team as of last month, ah doh know where his goal count stands as of now but last i check it was @ 6,

it's not like he eh scoring and scotland alone bussing the net, scotland is just an impeccable penalty taker and most of his tallies are therefrom, but he does not out score the rest of the T&T strikers by scoring from chances created on his own.

two things to consider, scotty playing on ah lower level than roberts, and he's a starter meaning more chances to score, whereas roberts is not a regular starter, playing on ah higher level, and still producing.

in closing i will say this, no matter what we think or who we like , it's still up to mad pancho to select the right players, and as we know he's lacking in that department and wouldn't recognise ah valid player if one landed on his dunce head,

i could only hope latas has a say in the selection policy and could sway the mad opinion of ah mad no arse head coach.

i don't hate jason in the least , it's just that his game is real basic, and i fear that basic strikers are a liability in today's footballing world,we need players who could harass defenders not fellas who could be shut out of ah whole game.

we need to match our counterparts in concacaf or else we will fail miserably. america has cheng and dempsey, mexico has blanco and the young looking kid, hunduras has polasias and sauzo, we have KJ and .........................?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:32:11 PM by just cool »

1]; } ?>