April 24, 2024, 06:22:15 PM

Author Topic: Redknapp rocks the boat...again  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Redknapp rocks the boat...again
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:57:10 AM »
ESPNsoccernet

Harry rocks the boat...again
Posted by Paul Allen 2 days, 11 hours ago

It seems that Harry Redknapp can't keep his mouth shut when it comes to talking about other team’s players.

His public pursuit of Sunderland striker, Kenwyne Jones, is an annoyance that new boss, Ricky Sbragia, could do without.

The Tottenham Hotspur manager has not been shy in expressing an interest in the Trinidad & Tobago international, a move that has not been welcomed in Sunderland.

It's not the first time Redknapp has publicly declared an interest in a player registered with another Premier League club and the fact that Spurs were so damning of Liverpool and Manchester United in announcing their summer interest in Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov respectively, is a clear sign of double-standards.

Redknapp confirmed: ‘We have made a bid for Jones. I have no idea how far the chairman has got with it or even whether Sunderland want to do a deal.’

The Spurs boss’ confirmation of a bid through the media for the Sunderland striker is a clear attempt to unsettle the player – a move that has not gone down well with Sbragia.

The Sunderland boss confirmed the interest from Spurs but was quick to rebuke any advances for last season’s top scorer for the Black Cats and reiterated his desire to keep the striker at the club. Sbragia said: ‘They have enquired about him but it’s the methods they use that are disappointing. A lot has appeared in the papers but the main concern is that it does not get in the player’s head and that his performances don’t dip.’

Despite Spurs’ initial bid being rejected and Sunderland’s condemnation of Redknapp’s media tactics, Jones has continued to interest the Londoners, with a reported bid of £15million or a swap deal involving Spurs striker, Darren Bent, on the table.

Despite the opportunity for Sunderland to make a huge profit on the £6million they paid Southampton for Jones 18 months ago, Sbragia is adamant that he’s not for sale, especially to a club showing complete disregard to Premier League rules.

A frustrated Sbragia added: ‘They are still coming back and doing it again. They’re trying to get into the player’s head and maybe trying to work the agent a bit more. On many occasions we’ve said no to Spurs.'

Premier League Rule K8 states: ‘A statement made publicly by or on behalf of a club expressing interest in acquiring the registration of a contract player shall be treated as an indirect approach.’

And Appendix Q2 states: ‘A manager shall not, either directly or indirectly (including by making any statement to the media) make an approach to a contract player with a view to the manager’s club negotiating a contract with such player.’

Only six months ago Spurs complained to the Premier League that Manchester United and Liverpool had broken Rule K8 in their summer pursuits of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane, respectively.

Although Spurs lost their cases against Manchester United and Liverpool and the players were sold to the accused clubs, it was a sign of integrity and a stand against so-called bigger clubs unsettling players by making their interests known publicly.

Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, said at the time: ‘The public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players.

‘It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date.

‘Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie recently and we made an official complaint to the Premier League about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

‘I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either.’

Sunderland are in the same position as Tottenham were in six months ago. They have absolutely no wish to sell and have not accepted an offer.

At the time, I admired Levy’s determination to fight some clubs self-proclaimed prerogative to do whatever they felt necessary to get their hands on a player, be it breaking rules and unsettling the player in question.

It would seem that the Spurs chairman has changed his opinion and now believes that it is okay to publicly announce an interest in another club’s player.

His manager clearly has no regard for the rules and, it would seem, neither does Levy. The chairman clearly does not think that Redknapp is breaking any rules, otherwise he would have made it clear to him that his comments were unacceptable when he confirmed his interest in Jermain Defoe, Stewart Downing and Craig Bellamy.

Redknapp announced to the media his interest in these players, resulting in all three players demanding a move from their clubs. Defoe rejoined Tottenham, West Ham had no option but to sell Bellamy to Man City after he stormed out of a training session and Stewart Downing had a written transfer request turned down by Middlesbrough.

Redknapp’s public interest in these players was a clear factor in them wanting to leave their clubs.

He has also declared an interest in former Spurs forward, Robbie Keane, now at Liverpool following a £20million move from Spurs in the summer. Redknapp said: ‘I wouldn’t sit here and say I wouldn’t like to have Robbie Keane at my football club, I’d be a liar, but he belongs to Liverpool so it is not an option unfortunately.’

At the moment, Kenwyne Jones' head has not been turned by the courting of Redknapp and I don't think it will.

Jones burst on to the Premier League last season, quickly becoming a fans' favourite for his hard-working displays. A knee injury playing for Trinidad & Tobago against England in a summer friendly resulted in months of treatment.

However, Jones returned to the team in goalscoring form, something that was lacking from his game last season. Although he hasn't quite hit the form he was in last season and his partnership with on-loan French forward, Djbril Cisse, has not reached its potential, he no doubt has the ability to be a top-class Premier League forward.

Still only 24 and cutting his teeth in the top-flight, Jones probably knows he has a good thing going at Sunderland and doesn't feel the need to move on just yet. Sunderland have, potentially, a formidable strike force in Jones and Cisse. It would be a step backwards if Jones, last year's player of the season, was to leave.

Jones has signed a new, long-term contract at Sunderland to counter the advances of Spurs and surely puts the transfer saga to bed.

This time, it seems, Redknapp's disruptive tactics have failed to deliver.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
Dont rate this guy but this could be good for him and T&T
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
Tottenham Hotspur want Kenwyne Jones in Darren Bent deal

Harry Redknapp wants Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones to be part of any deal for Darren Bent.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is demanding a sky-high price of £16m for Sunderland target Bent who is surplus to requirements at White Hart Lane.

But Spurs boss Redknapp is ready to try and make the move happen by asking for Jones in a player-plus-cash deal with Sunderland.

Redknapp tried to sign Trinidad and Tobago striker Jones, 24, in January and wants to bring in a big centre forward to spearhead his attack.

Tottenham have so far been frustrated in their efforts to bring in a striker after missing out on Roque Santa Cruz and Wolfsburg forward Edin Dzeko.

They are monitoring developments with Peter Crouch and Craig Bellamy but Jones is right at the top of Redknapp’s wish-list.

Tottenham’s valuation of Jones would be well short of the £16m they want for Bent as they look to recoup all the money they paid for him two years ago.

But Redknapp’s admiration of Jones could break the deadlock over Bent and also deliver the big target man that Tottenham are looking for.

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce may allow Jones to go as he looks to bring in Portsmouth striker Crouch, having signed Manchester United’s England under-21 striker Frazier Campbell yesterday.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Dont rate this guy but this could be good for him and T&T
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:19:21 AM »
Tottenham Hotspur want Kenwyne Jones in Darren Bent deal

Harry Redknapp wants Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones to be part of any deal for Darren Bent.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is demanding a sky-high price of £16m for Sunderland target Bent who is surplus to requirements at White Hart Lane.

But Spurs boss Redknapp is ready to try and make the move happen by asking for Jones in a player-plus-cash deal with Sunderland.

Redknapp tried to sign Trinidad and Tobago striker Jones, 24, in January and wants to bring in a big centre forward to spearhead his attack.

Tottenham have so far been frustrated in their efforts to bring in a striker after missing out on Roque Santa Cruz and Wolfsburg forward Edin Dzeko.

They are monitoring developments with Peter Crouch and Craig Bellamy but Jones is right at the top of Redknapp’s wish-list.

Tottenham’s valuation of Jones would be well short of the £16m they want for Bent as they look to recoup all the money they paid for him two years ago.

But Redknapp’s admiration of Jones could break the deadlock over Bent and also deliver the big target man that Tottenham are looking for.

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce may allow Jones to go as he looks to bring in Portsmouth striker Crouch, having signed Manchester United’s England under-21 striker Frazier Campbell yesterday.

Won't mind this deal going thru at all!  :thumbsup:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Redknapp rocks the boat...again
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:52:36 AM »
ary fack-up by not trying to sign Frazier Campbell. In the few games he played for spurs last season, he had the most "life" on the field. I would even rate him higher than Theo Walcott.

KJ needs to get serious about his onfield performance if he's to be taken seriously. Hopefully with an injury free season he will show his class.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
So lets have a look at this:-

In Jan it was being reported Spurs wanted KJ and bid around £16 - £20 Million or Bent plus cash offer valuing Bent at around £10-£12 Million depending on what paper you read.  So 6 Months later Kenwyne is now worth £10 Million ish and Bent £16 Million (what Spurs paid for him)

You would have to ask whats happened in the meantime to justify such a big swing in valuations.  Not a lot as far as I can see apart from Redknapp humilating Bent about the header he missed.

Spurs are used to getting good prices for players Keane Berbatov Carrick etc., but these were all players they wanted to keep, not the ones they want to sell.  They also spent all their cash in Jan so have no sizeable budget for summer signings so are just trying to bump the price.  Sunderland did have a reported £16 Million bid last summer accepted until Keane and Berbatov left.  Spurs / Redknapp don't want Bent and Bent doesn't really want to be there, I cannot see him being there come the end of the transfer window and I don't think anybody will pay Spurs asking price, probably more like £10 Million or so.  

I think the swap might happen, but it is more likely Spurs paying cash plus Bent than the other way around.  Personally not bothered either way whether KJ stays or goes.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
I hope this deal happens..

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
with the deputies outta town, the sheriff betta hightail it outta Dodge...ah done see how dat outlaw does abuse TT strikers, doh care to see it again...head for the hills, even if Tottenham have none,KJ, if yuh have any say in the matter...Bruce too influenced by Cantona, English, French, then rest ah Europe, after comes everybody else 

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 02:52:55 AM »
Tottenham is a more technical team in terms of the brand they play I feel that is what KJ needs his style right now is shite  ..... he needs to improve technically and hard work on it an make it happen no such thing as an age limit restricting a man from improving

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:41:25 AM »
Whether he comes to Spurs or not I agree with Maxg.....he needs to get out of Sunderland.

We've needed a player to hold the ball up in the attacking third since we lost Berbatov.  Bent isn't that kind of player and Pavlyuchenko doesn't seem to have the strength to fulfill the role effectively in the EPL.

The consensus on the Spurs boards is split between those who think KJ isn't good enough for Spurs and those who think that he can fill the role mentioned above effectively.  I'm in the second group, Harry demonstrated an ability to bring the best out his players at Portsmouth and I think KJ would do well under him.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Redknapp losses his cool.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 03:57:08 AM »
allyuh, check out harry getting on bad. always thought he was the quintessential gentleman.   :devil: :devil: :rotfl:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrWS0bZqsY&feature=PlayList&p=DE1CD252693B04A2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:31:55 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Redknapp losses his cool.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
allyuh, check out harry getting on bad. always though he was the quintessential gentleman.   :devil: :devil: :rotfl:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22xixmWOOlE&feature=related
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
He look for that......That is why he is in the f!@#$%ing reserves !!!!!!
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
 :rotfl:  :rotfl: hilarious!!!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
Harry in more pleasant times. check out harry story telling.  :devil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgAbu4zOxg4&feature=related
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »
Just so meh linx wid harry cussin out the yute dissappear, but i will try again. check this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrWS0bZqsY

1]; } ?>