April 19, 2024, 05:36:19 AM

Author Topic: 'No God' Ads, Soon To Appear On TTC Vehicles, Spark Heated Debate  (Read 1936 times)

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'No God' Ads, Soon To Appear On TTC Vehicles, Spark Heated Debate

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

It's certainly not everyone's opinion, and it may or may not be yours - but if you're a transit user in this city you'll soon be seeing that message frequently.

It's part of a controversial ad campaign by the Toronto-based Freethought Association of Canada that has been approved by the TTC to appear on buses and inside subway cars.

The spots are already sparking heated debate. Charles McVety, president of the Canada Christian College in Toronto, calls them out-and-out attack ads in a published report. The evangelical leader said he hasn't decided whether the group he heads up, the Canada Family Action Coalition, will formally complain about them once they start appearing on the transit vehicles.

The ads were used in a similar campaign in Britain recently.

The Freethought Association, for its part, says the atheist messages aren't meant to attack people's religious beliefs but to promote dialogue. And they've certainly done that - Torontonians asked what they thought of the soon-to-appear spots had a lot to say.

"We are living in a multicultural country. That's their right to express their belief," said Willy Rablora. "But for me, whatever I see, I just read it, that's it."

And George Van Luven noted, "Personally, it doesn't affect me - I'm sure a lot of people would be upset."

The TTC says the ads don't violate any of the transit commission's rules, however the decision to approve them could be reviewed if there are complaints.

The Freethought Association now plans to use the tens of thousands of dollars in donations it raised through a site called www.atheistbus.ca to post similar ads in Calgary and Halifax.

I wonder how religious groups will react to this!!!

truetrini

Re: 'No God' Ads, Soon To Appear On TTC Vehicles, Spark Heated Debate
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »
'No God' Ads, Soon To Appear On TTC Vehicles, Spark Heated Debate

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

It's certainly not everyone's opinion, and it may or may not be yours - but if you're a transit user in this city you'll soon be seeing that message frequently.

It's part of a controversial ad campaign by the Toronto-based Freethought Association of Canada that has been approved by the TTC to appear on buses and inside subway cars.

The spots are already sparking heated debate. Charles McVety, president of the Canada Christian College in Toronto, calls them out-and-out attack ads in a published report. The evangelical leader said he hasn't decided whether the group he heads up, the Canada Family Action Coalition, will formally complain about them once they start appearing on the transit vehicles.

The ads were used in a similar campaign in Britain recently.

The Freethought Association, for its part, says the atheist messages aren't meant to attack people's religious beliefs but to promote dialogue. And they've certainly done that - Torontonians asked what they thought of the soon-to-appear spots had a lot to say.

"We are living in a multicultural country. That's their right to express their belief," said Willy Rablora. "But for me, whatever I see, I just read it, that's it."

And George Van Luven noted, "Personally, it doesn't affect me - I'm sure a lot of people would be upset."

The TTC says the ads don't violate any of the transit commission's rules, however the decision to approve them could be reviewed if there are complaints.

The Freethought Association now plans to use the tens of thousands of dollars in donations it raised through a site called www.atheistbus.ca to post similar ads in Calgary and Halifax.

I wonder how religious groups will react to this!!!

They don;tlike the truth, so they will probably protest vociferously.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
steupse!!

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »
well de fact is that religious groups are allowed to put their own ads. So therefore there is no reason to blank the people who want to put these "No God" ads up.
Personally find it funny, just cuz yuh see an ad saying there is no God, it eh mean it gonna change yuh belief one way or another!
Back in Trini...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »
well de fact is that religious groups are allowed to put their own ads. So therefore there is no reason to blank the people who want to put these "No God" ads up.
Personally find it funny, just cuz yuh see an ad saying there is no God, it eh mean it gonna change yuh belief one way or another!

that is basically why i steupse...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
this is the one from london i think:

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »

Thats a good ad .

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:27:42 PM »
Is ah shit ad.  Probably?  steups

dey eh have no god...get over it, enjoy yuh life and stop worrying about ism schism.

If they ahd a God allyuh feel he woulda allow Canada to become ah country?

steups

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »
look eh
atleast we have good beer

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »

The debates I listened to was not on whether they should be allowed to post the ads.  People were generally agreeing on freedom of expression

Rather, it was whether the ad content was hateful and misleading.

For example, most believers I know are living a happy worry-free life vis-a-vis the existence of God.

The ad implies that believers are in a constant state of worry which is not true.

Conclusion: Atheists could publish whatever they want.  In fact, this type of ad campaign only preaches to the fellow atheists as true believers would not be swayed by their flippant approach to God
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »

The debates I listened to was not on whether they should be allowed to post the ads.  People were generally agreeing on freedom of expression

Rather, it was whether the ad content was hateful and misleading.

For example, most believers I know are living a happy worry-free life vis-a-vis the existence of God.

The ad implies that believers are in a constant state of worry which is not true.

Conclusion: Atheists could publish whatever they want.  In fact, this type of ad campaign only preaches to the fellow atheists as true believers would not be swayed by their flippant approach to God
Yes they are in a constant state fo worry..worrying if dey going to heaven, worrying about muslims, worrying about who to bomb. 

Ent de Bible say do not worry and dont let yuh heart be troubled..be an atheist and realize that command!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »
Is ah shit ad.  Probably?  steups

dey eh have no god...get over it, enjoy yuh life and stop worrying about ism schism.

If they ahd a God allyuh feel he woulda allow Canada to become ah country?

steups

ha ha. like, america is the probably the greatest country of all time.

ah feel all them british and european ideas (e.g. falsifiability) does stop at the american border.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »

The funny thing is whoever funding the ads...kinda coverin dey backside, they saying 'probably'  JUST in case it have the odd chance..........it like a escape clause in a contract
At least a full blown evil heathen like TT does stick to he convictions
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »

The funny thing is whoever funding the ads...kinda coverin dey backside, they saying 'probably'  JUST in case it have the odd chance..........it like a escape clause in a contract
At least a full blown evil heathen like TT does stick to he convictions

Thanks, thats why I find de ad shitty.  Ribbit what de arse kermit know about greatness>? ; )

1]; } ?>