April 23, 2024, 12:15:02 PM

Author Topic: Hart and UDeCOTT  (Read 46118 times)

Offline jimbo

• I iz a Piper!
  • Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart and UDeCOTT
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »
Trinidad Guardian

Member of the Uff Commission of Enquiry Israel Khan, SC, yesterday waded into executive chairman of the Urban Development Corporation of T&T (Udecott) Calder Hart, telling him he had a knack for breaching established rules. This, as hearing of the Commission of Enquiry into the Construction Sector and Udecott continued. Khan told Hart that sacked government minister Dr Keith Rowley had been vindicated in the probe. “It seems to me that you have a knack, Mr Hart—with the greatest respect—for breaking your own rules and ignoring sagacious advice given to you, by lawyers, by ministers, everybody,” Khan said. “If we find that as a fact, that is a serious indictment against you.” Hart responded quickly: “If you made that indictment, it is serious...There is no question about that.”

Khan said Hart ignored the advice given to him by then planning and development minister Dr Keith Rowley, not to award a flawed contract to Hafeez Karamath Ltd for the Customs and Excise Building in Port-of-Spain. `He said Rowley was within his right to so advise, but Hart refused and proceed to get legal advice on the matter. Khan told Hart: “It seemed to me that Hafeez Karamath had a water-tight connection with Udecott insider information about contracts.” He was commenting on an issue raised by attorney for the Joint Consultative Council on the construction sector Alvin Fitzpatrick, SC, during cross-examination of Hart earlier.

In response to Fitzpatrick, Hart said he could not confirm how Karamath got information about certain packages at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Tarouba , south Trinidad. Later, in response to Khan’s submission, Hart said he did not know when the estimates for the packages were done. Karamath had tendered the exact figure for the packages even before it was made public. Hart said: “I don’t know when that estimate was done. I don’t know how he comes to the exact figures that are in that estimates, whether it was done pre or post submissions.” Khan told Hart: “If all the allegations, including Rowley’s claim that he (Hart) had committed perjury, turn out to be true—you ready to resign?” Hart answered: “If they turn out to be true? Yes!”

Khan forced Hart to withdraw a critical comment he made of the Commission. Hart had said that the Commission could have spent its time addressing more critical issues that those before it. Yesterday, Hart withdrew the comment. Khan asked Hart: “Would you agree that if all these things I pointed out to you are true, it will be a scandalous state of affairs in this country?” Hart said he agreed. Moments later, Commission chairman John Uff told Hart that no member of the Commission “holds any brief for any party. We are not here to accuse you of anything...We are here to listen to and weigh the material that comes before us.”

He said what Khan did earlier was to reflect “some very serious accusations that have been put.” Hart later told the Commission that he was receiving five salaries. He did not elaborate. He said, however, that the salaries were approved by the Public Sector Negotiating Committee. He said he received a bonus of between half-month and three months’ salary. He said, in response to further questions from Uff, that he did not expect any bonus from the Brian Lara Stadium project because it was not as successful as was originally intended.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:14:26 PM by Tallman »
I an I iz u and u..seen

Offline jimbo

• I iz a Piper!
  • Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hart admits to 5 salaries
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:09:38 PM »
Ah wonder if he have he money in Clico
I an I iz u and u..seen

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
One has to go!!! Either Patrick or Hart!!!!. Pick one allyuh!!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
no brainer? :devil:

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rowley: Udecott affairs smelling
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:55:46 AM »
Rowley: Udecott affairs smelling
Kimberly Mackhan
20 Oct 2009

In a scathing attack on his political leader and Prime Minister Patrick Manning, Diego Martin West MP Dr Keith Rowley yesterday said the affairs of controversial State-owned Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (Udecott) “smells to the high heavens.” He said the PNM was being put on trial because of the support its political leader Manning was giving to the controversial Udecott. In an animated hour-long presentation in the House of Representatives yesterday afternoon, Rowley supported the legislation to validate and protect the work of the Commission of Enquiry set up to investigate Udecott and the local construction sector. He expressed strong disapproval against actions of Udecott to condone practices that were against its own tender procedures. “The tail is not to wag the dog. The dog is to carry the tail and keep its tail behind it,” Rowley said. He also became enraged after discussing legal action by Udecott to obtain a stay on the operations of the commission.

He said: “There are those of us in the PNM, for the PNM, who support the PNM, who want no part of this. "The PNM has fundamental principles about morality and public affairs. Those principles are coming under attack and I am putting you under notice. The next election would be the Udecott election said. “(John) O’Halloran (a PNM minister who was found guilty of corruption) has receded into the background. There are other names to be called.” Rowley reminded his other PNM MPs about the stigma from the O’Halloran scandal that affected the PNM’s ability to campaign for elections in the 1980s. He said: “This country has to understand that sometimes you have to break the mould to make a new shape and I am breaking it on behalf of all of the PNM people who, in 1986, when we went to campaign in my area... they (were) slamming doors in your face in Westmoorings, in Glencoe, in Bayshore and all they (are) telling you about is O’Halloran.”

He said the Udecott fiasco looked at least ten times worse than the alleged corruption in the construction of the Piarco International Airport. He added: “That is what we are being called upon to do. And those of you, those of you who think I am being (an) obstructionist... what we are being called upon to do by a small clique of people in the country is to support wrongdoing, (to) pretend not to know and see if we can ride it out. We are not going to ride it out.” He gave several examples of discrepancies in the conduct of business at Udecott. Among these included the role of local contractor Hafeez Karamath in a multi-million dollar Valsayn land transaction with the National Union of Government and Federated Workers (NUGFW) Construction Company Limited, in which Independent Senator and Udecott director Michael Annisette was involved. “Land owned by Udecott, Karamath gets the contract with no competition. And there is bank Udecott... bank Udecott, yes, because part of that arrangement was that Karamath would be financed by Udecott.

"So Calder Hart, the (executive) chairman of Udecott goes to Calder Hart the chairman of the Home Mortgage Bank and orders $170 million and hands to the contractor (who had a contract of) $134 million,” Rowley said. He expressed annoyance that the contract was awarded to Hafeez Karamath Limited with no competition, no tender and that “Hart from Udecott, borrows from Hart from Home Mortgage Bank $170 million.” Rowley said: “Now the question is this, if the contract was awarded for $134 million, why was Udecott borrowing $170 million for the contact?” Rowley claimed that there was no truth that Karamath had joint ownership in the land. And, he added that it went from the National Housing Authority to the NUGFW to Udecott and “nowhere would it show that it is owned by Hafeez Karamath.” Rowley also dismissed Hart’s excuse that his and Sunway’s fax number were not the same. “If the technology exists for Sunway to make a computer glitch in Glencoe and generate a number in Cascade, how come then the same telephone number appeared on the rubber stamp of Sunway?” Rowley asked.

“And that is what I am being asked to defend and there is no way that I as a PNM MP defending that. Next week, I will be 60 years old. I am a pensioner and I am good to go. ‘Go quietly,’ as I was advised, is not on.” He said: “As I told the Prime Minister when he fired me and asked me to go quietly, it is not on. I represent the people and I have a job to do. Let the records show that when this was going on, one member of the PNM stood up and said in the name of the PNM, this must not go on. "We have seen where we have come from and we are seeing where we are going and, for me, it is the biggest issue.” Rowley called on the Prime Minister to stand up in the Parliament and dispute the truth of his statements. “That has to be wrong (Udecott’s legal challenge against the commission). No country should accept that from any Prime Minister. But as a country, I do not care who you vote for. I do not care who you worship, government in any country is damaged by that kind of behaviour and if this country cannot call to order its Prime Minister and his Cabinet and a political party to say we are not accepting that, God help us because those who are hired ought never to get bigger than the people who hired them,” Rowley said.

“But me in the Cabinet, I am dismissed from the Cabinet and slandered for misconduct but nobody could say what the misconduct is. Do me a favour Prime Minister, in this debate, get up and tell the country what I did in the Cabinet.” He added that each school child in T&T knew “there was something in this country called Udecott and its smells to the high heavens and this problem ought to dealt with by changing the board.”

Kamla is not surprised:
UNC deputy leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar said last night:
“It’s not surprising the statements coming from PNM MP Keith Rowley. It is exactly what we have been saying about corruption, except this time the statements are coming from the bowels of the PNM. "It proves what we have said that the PNM is the most corrupt Government this country has ever seen.”
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rowley: Udecott affairs smelling
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 11:17:23 AM »
If there were 10 more in T&T like Dr. Rowley, Lasana Liburd and Gillian Lucky, we'd be so far advanced as a country....*sigh*

GO Dr. Rowley!!!!!....lend de Emperor hell!!....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:41:02 AM »
If there were 10 more in T&T like Dr. Rowley, Lasana Liburd and Gillian Lucky, we'd be so far advanced as a country....*sigh*

Only recently I was thinking the same thing about Dr. Rowley. Granted I don't know as much about TnT politics, but I love the way this man is going about business. I truly hope his motive is not based on party leadership.

To the few who are trying to make a difference.. keep going!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 11:51:26 AM »
Dats right...gi dem the "wajank"

Is pace for Matrick Panning.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »
Rowley staying quiet loooong time now.

only cause he and manning fall out he bumping he gums
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »

Més que un club.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 04:15:11 PM »
manning continues to disappoint me every day. is like all d power gone to his head an he doh give a fork about d country.

after d second economy boost a couple years ago, we should have been in a more developed state than how we are now. we in a terrible state. an yuh hearin all d time it have no money in d treasury. whey all d money gone! steups!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »

Cosign if he and Manning was still pitchin marbles and climbing trees he would say nutten so me eh want u hear him.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »

not only is he our Prime Minister
de man is ah 4 King eyelid inspector ALSO :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »
daiz wuh yuh call beppin.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 07:19:21 AM »

Cosign if he and Manning was still pitchin marbles and climbing trees he would say nutten so me eh want u hear him.

The whole episode just goes to show that Manning is damn fool and MAY have made a costly political error when he decided to fire Rowley for a most dotish of reason....talk Rowley talk....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 07:27:16 AM »

Political error d fanatics on either side will vote 4 dem d few level headed 1's will decide whether Patos or Bas. Choose yuh poison. Rowley just doin Elias biddin so me not intrested in anyting he have 2 say.

The whole episode just goes to show that Manning is damn fool and MAY have made a costly political error when he decided to fire Rowley for a most dotish of reason....talk Rowley talk....
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 08:48:07 AM »

He bounce he head. Rowley has much more credibility than him. I hope for but do not anticipate his retirement before the next elections.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 08:52:14 AM »

Hmmm ah man with a closet of skeletons, a vendetta journalsit and a man in woman clothes , doh take much for TT to advance
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:46 AM »

Hmmm ah man with a closet of skeletons, a vendetta journalsit and a man in woman clothes , doh take much for TT to advance

Yeah, dais how much mess we in.... ::)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:45 AM »

He bounce he head. Rowley has much more credibility than him. I hope for but do not anticipate his retirement before the next elections.

Doh let Kiethos foolall yuh d man eh credible.

Vendetta we need more journalist wit vendatta than bein mouth piece

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »
Tell me wish political party doesn't have skeleton in the closet. Look, it appears that manning and Rowley are polar opposites. Ever since Rowley challenged him for the leadership, Patrick, it seems to me, has had some kind of vendetta against him. Nobody must challenge the PM? All yuh only men yes men. That is ridiculous. That is why I call for term limits. 2 terms and f---king out. Time for Patrick to go or PNM will go!!!!!!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

Well girl, so far everything they've thrown at Keithos eh stick....in fact the man cause ah Integrity commission board to resign.  Didn't he win something else against somebody over Landate or was it the same Integrity commission?  Any who so far he PUBLICLY coming out smelling like roses and Manning looking like a damn fool.  Espeically since he Manning (and he band of merry yes men) insist on publicly supporting Calder Hart when on the face of it, he Hart, eh smelling like roses at all right now.  Let's start with the mysterious fax number.......

Ah also hear what yuh saying about elections.....from the way things shaping up I goh be one voter on the sidelines with mih popcorn and some mauby to wash it down....cuz ah eh voting for Manning and he stooges and dem other fellas cyar cut it.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 05:34:39 AM »

Well girl, so far everything they've thrown at Keithos eh stick....in fact the man cause ah Integrity commission board to resign.  Didn't he win something else against somebody over Landate or was it the same Integrity commission?  Any who so far he PUBLICLY coming out smelling like roses and Manning looking like a damn fool.  Espeically since he Manning (and he band of merry yes men) insist on publicly supporting Calder Hart when on the face of it, he Hart, eh smelling like roses at all right now.  Let's start with the mysterious fax number.......

Ah also hear what yuh saying about elections.....from the way things shaping up I goh be one voter on the sidelines with mih popcorn and some mauby to wash it down....cuz ah eh voting for Manning and he stooges and dem other fellas cyar cut it.....

baby!  :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 08:15:54 AM »
aye capo ah here mannin callin yuh name in dis, wais dah one ;D
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 09:13:38 AM »
aye capo ah here mannin callin yuh name in dis, wais dah one ;D

Yes Capo wha goin on dey??.... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 01:40:07 PM »

He eh do nutten illegal but as I say he battin heavy for he pardner Elias who has done such a stellar job in d hospital in TBGO. I will neva support a man who was in cabinet say eh c d hotel in d project come out and cuss and then do a half bake apology dat d press but in pg 100 while dey carry he rants on pg1.

ZERO CREDIBILITY= ROWLEY. Y he eh resign he seat. I guess d MP perks 2 gr8.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »
Well, we have to agree to disagree on this one.  Until he detractors bring evidence out in public that discredits what he has said so far.....I in he corner....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »
Well, we have to agree to disagree on this one.  Until he detractors bring evidence out in public that discredits what he has said so far.....I in he corner....

COSIGNNNNNNNN

AirMan

Calder Heart being paid 3x more than Manning
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 12:02:12 AM »
CALDER HART SALARY     
The Government finally tells the Parliament, the net monthly pay of the controversial Udecott Executive Chairman...who also sits on four other State Boards. It's a figure that's about three times more than that of...Prime Minister- Patrick Manning ..Watch video report here .. http://www.cbeanmedia.org/TV6NEWS_F4V/Links/min_nunez_rpts_calder_hart_receives_200K_per_month_09_12_18.htm

1]; } ?>