March 28, 2024, 02:57:54 PM

Author Topic: Lawrence Duprey/Clico Thread.  (Read 40687 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CLICO
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
Any new news today locals base ??

Pressure cyah even c d news but next wk tings will ease up so could c d news.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2009, 05:28:36 AM »
De latest drama is that they were debating the legislation to allow the for the bailout to take effect (or something so...).  Keith Rowley in he presentation say he NOT supporting the Government because this will allow a man like Calder Hart (Chairman of NIB) to control yet another set a billions (in Republic Bank shares)...I take een all that in the gym yesterday evening and all the time I thinking Rowley could talk till he blue in de face the bill goh pass any way....

Well dis morning ah coworker shock mih when she reveal that the bill need a special majority to pass.... :o :o
well look bachanal here today.....and true to form the opposition eh support it....so more drama folks....sit back and enjoy de ride....get out yuh popcorn and your choice of beverage to wash it down...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2009, 12:12:59 PM »
Not 2 mention I hear Rowley in d car sayin he cyah support it because Republic Money goin NIPDEC and he pardner Hart in charge.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2009, 02:24:28 PM »
right- well the thing is that with the legislation the govt will have access to people's personal Insurance files.....so you could imagine- and to make us more nervous the PM said in parliament yesterday (or was it last night???) that he would look through the records to get info on Panday's apartment- if CLICO is holding Insurance for his apartment in London..
now I don't know about allyou folks, but that makes me very apprehansive about how this gov't will be using personal info ...
and that's why it needs the 3/5 majority - it infringes the population's individual right to privacy.
what you think about that? think that could happen when the US or UK govt takes over their banks?
ha! that's democracy T&T style! ???

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »
Bounty killer,
                     What low gas prices. If you feel price of gas going any lower, dream on.
lol  the price of oil going back up? in the future? thaz the end of oil homeboy, windturbines goin up like crazy.  obama done say dey could keep the oil.  who they goin and sell it to? what going and drive the price up?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
right- well the thing is that with the legislation the govt will have access to people's personal Insurance files.....so you could imagine- and to make us more nervous the PM said in parliament yesterday (or was it last night???) that he would look through the records to get info on Panday's apartment- if CLICO is holding Insurance for his apartment in London..
now I don't know about allyou folks, but that makes me very apprehansive about how this gov't will be using personal info ...
and that's why it needs the 3/5 majority - it infringes the population's individual right to privacy.
what you think about that? think that could happen when the US or UK govt takes over their banks?
ha! that's democracy T&T style! ???

So wait, before he get his people together to make sure there's a smooth transition for all the policy holders at CLICO, so nobody get heart failure for losing their monies, he studying to go dig up Panday house insurance ??? Wasn't that London case closed ???

Is it after he had surgery he get more dotish ???

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 11:25:50 PM »
look at problems now it them people go and start withdrawin all they money now
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2009, 05:42:59 AM »

Over ah million dollars was withdrawn from Republic Bank last Saturday. That now they limited the amount of money they put in dey ATM
Capo ya know dat bank eh? :devil:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2009, 08:29:19 AM »

Over ah million dollars was withdrawn from Republic Bank last Saturday. That now they limited the amount of money they put in dey ATM
Capo ya know dat bank eh? :devil:
shhh.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2009, 05:36:57 AM »
Pay severance to CIB employees
Sandra Chouthi | 8:22 pm
Trinidad Guardian
Published: February 4th, 2009
Sandra Chouthi | 8:22 pm

The employees of CL Financial’s Clico Investment Bank (CIB) have been placed on the breadline without severance pay, said unionist Vincent Cabrera. Cabrera is president of the Banking, Insurance and General Workers’ Union (BIGWU). He said billions of dollars are involved in bailing out four companies—Clico Investment Bank (CIB), CMMB, Clico and British American Insurance Company Ltd—but there’s no severance pay for workers. He said the union is demanding that Central Bank Governor Ewart Williams, Finance Minister Karen Nunez-Tesheira and First Citizens’ chief executive officer Larry Howai find a way to pay severance to about 100 CIB employees, none of whom are unionised.

“We are making no compromise on that. They must find a way,” said Cabrera. He was speaking at a press conference the union held at its office on 85 Eighth Street, Barataria, yesterday. “The Government, the Central Bank, all the financial institutions, have failed to look after the interest of this important stakeholder that is the workers,” said Cabrera.

“All of the players, the CBTT, the Ministry of Finance and certainly the various finance houses have treated the human factor in quite an inappropriate manner.” He said the union was more concerned about the industrial relations and human resource dimension of the bailout of four subsidiaries of the CL Financial Group than the financial engineering of the embarked on by the Central Bank.

Cabrera said the workers of CIB turned up for work last Monday, but were met with closed doors, with not even a notice posted informing them of the situation. “They had to be guided like ordinary members of the public by what they had seen and heard in the media.

“They enquired from officials of the Central Bank and were told that they would be paid the sum of one month’s notice, that they were not entitled to severance pay and they would be required to effect some final activity associated with the closure of CIB,” Cabrera said.
“This is a cold and callous approach to employees, who are not to blame for the predicament in which the employer has placed them.”
The unionist said the Retrenchment and Severance Benefit Act No 3 of 1985 needs to be repealed as it was “inadequate and useless.”
“That excuse for a law is failing to protect workers who are severed.

“In fact, workers are worse off today than they were before the law was passed in 1985,” Cabrera said.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2009, 05:37:44 AM »
Now hopefully people doh get tie up and blame the economy - instead blame poor management of funds and assets :-\

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2009, 05:57:05 AM »
As I now reading that CIB severance story I have a friend who worked at Republic Bank for over 12 years.  Last year when CIB opened in Tobago, the girl leave Republic and moved there.  When I talked to her over the Christmas season she said she was enjoying it.....less than 2 months later she on the bread line...

Lawd fadder....ah eh even know what to call she and say.... :(
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2009, 06:03:56 PM »
So the first 100 from CIB went home yesterday. Heard people needed counseling, because no one was ready or could of imagine this would happen.  Also heard last week WASA sent home some Managers and Executives (dem on vacation for 1 year) for non performance. But told the public they down-sizing.  :-\

Strangely I ain't hear any one mention that costumes sold out in any of the 4 main mas band ie Harts, Revellers, Island People and of course Tribe.

Fete lovers, how dey crowds looking at the all inclusive fetes and dem ??? Or is it that common sense prevailing these days???

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2009, 06:37:43 PM »
Trini I blieve nuff peeps searchin high and low 4 there money 2 buy dey bikini and beads.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
yuh know jus among people i know, they have a quite a few who decided to forego playing ina  band this year...but thing is, for every person selling a costume, they have someone willing to buy it...
personally i one of de stupid ones  ;D comin home for carnival for first time in a four years
Back in Trini...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2009, 07:43:03 PM »
yuh know jus among people i know, they have a quite a few who decided to forego playing ina  band this year...but thing is, for every person selling a costume, they have someone willing to buy it...
personally i one of de stupid ones  ;D comin home for carnival for first time in a four years

I hear ya. I have some friends who said that they cutting back on feting, because no one knows whats really happening. BUT DEY GOING PAN tomorrow ;D One girlfrien' say she ain't care bout nothing else but she PAN.
Another one who always in somebody fete, say she only hitting 3 good ones (UWI, Moka and Cooler) plus pan dis year and datzz it

Nobody in dey group say nothing bout playing mas. They not even sure if red ants bringing anything for Jouvert.  Anyone heard if they are ???

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »
cana as far as i know they are..my cousin playing with them, or so she said on wed...i eh hear nuttin different
Back in Trini...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2009, 03:04:10 PM »
So the first 100 from CIB went home yesterday. Heard people needed counseling, because no one was ready or could of imagine this would happen.  Also heard last week WASA sent home some Managers and Executives (dem on vacation for 1 year) for non performance. But told the public they down-sizing.  :-\

Strangely I ain't hear any one mention that costumes sold out in any of the 4 main mas band ie Harts, Revellers, Island People and of course Tribe.

Fete lovers, how dey crowds looking at the all inclusive fetes and dem ??? Or is it that common sense prevailing these days???

Cana Tribe sell out since August last year....and if eh mistaken ah sure Island People sell out long time too....as for the other 2 you mention, I'm not sure....but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't sold out too.....the only bands I hear saying that they are not sold out yet are the lesser known ones...

As for the fetes....dem sell out too....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »

As for the fetes....dem sell out too....

:o damn!!
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »
Soooooooooo dat means dat Trinidadians ain't too worried bout dey economy during Carnival and hence dey shouldn't worry bout after Carnival too...

arigh' ah go hear bout allyuh

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
Soooooooooo dat means dat Trinidadians ain't too worried bout dey economy during Carnival and hence dey shouldn't worry bout after Carnival too...

its actually economically responsible..

yuh go spend less money on ah psychiatrist with less returns..

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »

Nah word on the street is that we goh tighten we belt AFTER Carnival....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »

Nah word on the street is that we goh tighten we belt AFTER Carnival....

Definetely dat is d time frame.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »

Dookeran calls for criminal charges to be laid in CLICO fiasco
February 14th 2009
CTNTWORLD.COM

Political Leader of the Congress of the People Winston Dookeran is calling for criminal charges to be brought against those involved in the CLICO fiasco.

Dookeran made the call at a news conference this morning.

The COP Leader is blaming a lack of proper governance and oversight for the difficulties CLICO found itself in.
While Dookeran admitted that the Board and management of CLICO have to take part of the blame, insisting that the regulators, including the Central Bank and the Securities Exchange Commission, are equally liable.

He says there should be an investigation into whether criminal charges ought to brought against those responsible.

Dookeran argues that the Parliament has not been doing its job, with members of the Public Accounts Committee refusing to call anyone before them to answer questions about how CLICO could have fallen so quickly.

Saying he had predicted since 2006 the negative fallout on the financial system from the global financial crisis, Dookeran says Government did not take him seriously.

He was also scathing in his comments about the way the Central Bank and by extension its current Governor, Ewart Williams, has been regulating the financial system.

On Friday the Governor announced that the problem at CLICO was worse than initially anticipated because some of its assets were pledged to other projects.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
I eh hear he say 2 luck up Harry or did I miss dat?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »
Casualty #1

Plymouth Jazz Festival called off
Earl Manmohan Scarborough
Trinidad Express

Tuesday, February 17th 2009

The 2009 edition of the popular Plymouth Jazz Festival is off.

CL Communications CEO Tony Maharaj, in announcing this yesterday, blamed the cancellation of this year's event on the global economic crisis rather than Clico's financial woes. He was adamant that the event had not been cancelled but postponed until next year.

Clico was one of the main sponsors of the festival for the past four years. However, THA Tourism Secretary, Oswald Williams, told the media the Assembly was planning an alternative event for the same weekend to accommodate those who had already booked accommodation and made travel arrangements.

Two weeks ago, Maharaj had dispelled rumours that the festival, which was scheduled for April 24 to 26 at the Plymouth Recreation Ground, was off because CL Financial had pulled out. In fact, a press conference scheduled for last Wednesday was rescheduled at the last minute to Thursday and then yesterday. The reason given for the Wednesday postponement was that members of the committee were in deep discussions on the event.

Yesterday at the Mount Irvine Bay Hotel, Maharaj said it would have been reckless and not financially prudent to continue with the event when all indicators were showing it would not have been well attended. "What caused it was that when we started getting our information, as we have always done from our travel agents abroad, what we were finding was that people, because of the world economic crisis, were very concerned about the affordability of coming to Tobago," he said.

Maharaj said there was a clear distinction between Clico and CL Financial, and stressed that Clico was an individual sponsor just as Colfire, b-Mobile and others. He added that when Clico pulled out, they were immediately replaced by another sponsor and two other major sponsors showed interest in the event.

He also attributed the poor response to the festival to the exorbitant rates charged by some local hotels during the period, noting that this situation had to be addressed.

"In business, people have to act prudently and it would have been reckless of the Plymouth Jazz Festival Committee and the THA to say that we will still have the festival even if 2,000 people come," Maharaj said.

He said it was not certain if the $50 million event will be held in April next year and the possibility existed that it could be held later in the year.

The Plymouth Jazz festival started in 2005 and has featured foreign acts like Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Sting and Whitney Houston.

Offline Saywha

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Lawrence Duprey/Clico Thread.
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »
Don't u think dey should lock up this man and throw away de key because how he indiscriminately spend we money.  I reading the papers this week and see de man invested in some high profile properties in Florida using we hard earned money.  What de  :cursing: Now people go lose their jobs because he was on a spending spree.  Trinidad really soft yes!  If it was America, he would already be in a cell with Bubba and de soap.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:55:34 AM by Flex »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Lawrence Duprey
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »
They haven't implicated him in any illegal activity yet. Until they do so he just another greed capitalist exploiting the system.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
Don't u think dey should lock up this man and throw away de key because how he indiscriminately spend we money.  I reading the papers this week and see de man invested in some high profile properties in Florida using we hard earned money.  What de  :cursing: Now people go lose their jobs because he was on a spending spree.  Trinidad really soft yes!  If it was America, he would already be in a cell with Bubba and de soap.

......or at least under house arrest....steups...this is T&T, nobody eh going jail for one blasted thing!!!...taxpayers goh pay thru we teeth to save CL financial cuz money eh no problem...and that will be the end of that.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2009, 02:12:39 PM »

if he was in usa it would not have made any difference.check bernard madoff.he lose 50 billion.ponzi scheme.

1]; } ?>