April 24, 2024, 11:59:32 PM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones: I wanted to repay Sunderland for their support  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones: I wanted to repay Sunderland for their support
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Kenwyne Jones: I wanted to repay Sunderland for their support
By Rob Stewart (Daily Telegraph)

The Trinidad and Tobago international striker snubbed Spurs' overtures to remain at the Stadium of Light, where he signed a new 4½-year contract this week. He will aim to prove his worth against Newcastle on Sunday.

Jones said Sunderland were a big help as he recovered from the injury sustained during a friendly international against England last summer. "Did that contribute to me staying? Of course it did," Jones said. "It's not a good thing to show disloyalty.

"Everyone here at the club was working hard to get me back fit, firstly to get me to walk again then you have all the physios and the manager, training staff and support staff behind the scenes – everyone wants you to come back and gives you support.

"It's easy to say there are a lot of disloyal people in football but that happens on both sides. There are times when a club wants to get rid of a player and he has no choice. They do everything they can to try to get rid of him and then there are times that players want to leave.

"Most of the time they focus on the player wanting to leave and throwing fits and all of that. But you never know when a club wants to get rid of someone and what they will do when they want to do that. I think it's a two-edged sword."

Sunderland's prospects for the future were also a key factor in his decision to ignore Tottenham's advances. "Sunderland has a lot of potential to be a big club," Jones said.

"The manager has that ambition, the chairman, the owner, they all have it. I choose to be part of that and hopefully that will materialise. I think Sunderland have the potential to be a top-seven team constantly at least."

As for former manager Roy Keane's assertion that he was the best striker in the Premier League, Jones was modesty personified.

"Fair enough to him but maybe that was to build my confidence or the team's confidence," he said.

"But of course you are flattered by something like that, you are only human, When you are young and your mum say you are the best in the world, of course you are going to be smiling all day, but at the same time I know I still have a lot of work to do. You always learn in football every day."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones: I wanted to repay Sunderland for their support
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »
Loyalty + humility= pure class
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
nothing so valuable as seeeing the truth

He realised what Sunderland management was all about
Great stuff KJ
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:31:58 PM »
KJ is class...he showing it more and more...off de field and on
Back in Trini...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »
I commented earlier this week that signing this contract was good for KJ but better for Sunderland. They will sell him eventually but a longer contract means they will get more (or have a great player for longer).

When O'Neill at Villa was talking about Heskey last week He mentioned how much he appreciated him signing a contract AFTER Liverpool had expressed serious interest. He basically signed a deal with Leicester in the last year of his contract, just before he was sold so Liverpool had to stump up 11M pounds. If Heskey wanted to, he could have not signed and sped up his move to Liverpool (and probably get a better signing bonus) but he did right by the club instead.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:35:37 PM »

He, as well as Sunderland, are one of the chosen ones.

Més que un club.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:42:07 PM »

Loyalty + humility= pure class
[/quot
nothing so valuable as seeeing the truth

He realised what Sunderland management was all about
Great stuff KJ
[/q

KJ,wise decision.Yuh exhibit great character an yuh among yuh fellow Trinis.
Show them that Warriors doh necessarily have to be mercenaries.Be safe.    :applause: :notworthy:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:41:22 AM by mwanasoka »
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:12:03 PM »
Represent KJ !!  Represent !!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:41:57 PM »
Well said  :beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:27:01 PM »
If any of the top four had try to sign him bet uh bottom dollar we would have left

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »
play yuh fitball son

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »
good fuh he,sunderland in EPL fuh good
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 06:04:54 PM »
SPURS STILL KEEN ON KENWYNE JONES
By STEVE LILLIS, newsoftheworld.co.uk

Striker can join Tottenham for £6m if Sunderland go down
HARRY REDKNAPP will be able to buy Kenwyne Jones for a bargain £6million if Sunderland are relegated.

Tottenham boss Redknapp made a £15m bid only for striker Jones to pledge his future to the Black Cats by signing a new 4½-year deal worth £50,000 a week.

But the Trinidad and Tobago ace had a clause inserted that he could quit the Stadium of Light for £6m if they go down this season.

Jones, 24, said: “It’s nice to know that where you are playing, they want you that much they will turn away offers and tie you up.

“It’s good to hear another manager has seen something in me and wanted to sign me but I think Sunderland are a big football club.

“I have made this decision and I am quite happy to stay here. You want stability in your life and, thankfully, I am here still.”

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
SPURS STILL KEEN ON KENWYNE JONES
By STEVE LILLIS, newsoftheworld.co.uk

Striker can join Tottenham for £6m if Sunderland go down
HARRY REDKNAPP will be able to buy Kenwyne Jones for a bargain £6million if Sunderland are relegated.

Tottenham boss Redknapp made a £15m bid only for striker Jones to pledge his future to the Black Cats by signing a new 4½-year deal worth £50,000 a week.

But the Trinidad and Tobago ace had a clause inserted that he could quit the Stadium of Light for £6m if they go down this season.

Jones, 24, said: “It’s nice to know that where you are playing, they want you that much they will turn away offers and tie you up.

“It’s good to hear another manager has seen something in me and wanted to sign me but I think Sunderland are a big football club.

“I have made this decision and I am quite happy to stay here. You want stability in your life and, thankfully, I am here still.”

:heehee:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>