June 16, 2024, 09:00:59 PM

Author Topic: old Trinidad match programme 1953  (Read 11740 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
old Trinidad match programme 1953
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
This was from their tour to England. just saw it on ebay.

(results of tour)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:56:11 PM by E-man »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: old Trinidad match programme 1953
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »
available on ebay right now. postcard of the team

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:53:52 AM by E-man »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »
cool eman
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »
E-man, ah nearly dead with laff when ah read this piece in your link...Now..now..ah tell yuh

http://www.ttfootballhistory.com/node/468

half century later, we still half second slower..maybe we improve ah few milliseconds..maybe them didn't have no fans in dem time, or dey wasn't as knowledge-able as us fans today  :devil:

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:21 PM »

Singin' In The Rain!: Four of the Trinidad Soccer tourists sing a calypso under an umbrella when the weather gave them a wet welcome on arrival at Southampton. Left to right: SYL DOPSON, MATTHEW NUNES, HORACE LOVELACE and ALAN JOSEPH.

from Reuters, 1953-08-24:

A special calypso has been composed for the arrival in England and when the players were welcomed in the ship's lounge by Sir Stanley Rous, Secretary of the Football Association and other officials, they played and sang it. The first words were: "Fire brigade water the road because Trinidad is coming down"

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »

Singin' In The Rain!: Four of the Trinidad Soccer tourists sing a calypso under an umbrella when the weather gave them a wet welcome on arrival at Southampton. Left to right: SYL DOPSON, MATTHEW NUNES, HORACE LOVELACE and ALAN JOSEPH.

A special calypso has been composed for the arrival in England and when the players were welcomed in the ship's lounge by Sir Stanley Rous, Secretary of the Football Association and other officials, they played and sang it. The first words were: "Fire brigade water the road because Trinidad is coming down"

Stick fight lavway!!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »

To think that back in dem days dey was playing a 2-3-5 as opposed to the 5-3-2 that some sides play today.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »

hmm dem men come to play ah match and still under pressure to strum quattro and chac chac

I surprise dey not wearin some kinda wide straw hat and dem shirt wit de puffy sleeves like de ones on best village
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:56:11 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Just arrived in the mail yesterday and I now have in my swine flu infested fingers the official match programme of the 1st ever match between Trinidad and an English FA side (the result was a 2-all draw):

Good afternoon. It is always gratifying when acknowledgment is made to the excellent amenities of the Wimbledon Football Club and such acknowledgment is made this afternoon when we are honoured with the privilege of staging the very interesting match between the Trinidad Touring Team and the F.A. Amateur XI. Many attractive representative matches have been played at Plough Lane since its inception but we doubt if any previous game has promised such a colourful spectacle as should be witnessed this afternoon.

We extend a hearty welcome to both teams especially to our visitors from the West Indies. They have created a fine impression since arriving in this country and to date have won 5, lost 5 and drawn 2 of the 12 games played. This does not include the floodlit game with the Corinthian League to be played at Selhurst Park on Wednesday Oct. 7th. The F.A. nevertheless, has paid the visitors a high compliment by virtually fielding an International side, changes have been made from the team which lost to the South Africans, but loses nothing in effectiveness.

The personal record of the F.A. team is well known but for the benefit of spectators we include brief pen-pictures of to-days probable Trinidad eleven.

JOEY GONSALVES. Goal-keeper. Possesses a safe pair of hands and a thorough knowledge of the game. A popular selection as captain and has represented Trinidad on numerous occasions. Was honoured with the captaincy of the Caribbean team in Jamaica and Surinam during 1951 and 1952.

GERRY PARSONS. Right-back. A sure kicker and one of the soundest backs in Trinidad. Has gained numerous representative honours since 1947 and was in the Caribbean side in 1952.

BERNARD HOBSON GARCIA. Left-back. An energetic and fearless tackler. Has represented Trinidad on several occasions. Was out of the game with an injured collar bone last season but has now fully recovered.

CONRAD ANGUS BRATHWAITE. Right-half-back. Can play in either wing half positions but prefers right-half. Is very speedy despite his 13 stone.

ALLAN JOSEPH. Centre half-back. Is probably the best centre-half in the West Indies. A fast constructive player with good positional sense. Has played 21 consecutive representative matches and was also in the Caribbean side in 1951 and 1952.

DOYLE GRIFFITH. Left half-back. A forceful tackler and a grand 90 minute player. Now 21 years of age but has represented Trinidad since 1950. Was chosen for the Caribbean team in 1952.

R. HAMEL SMITH. Outside right. A good winger but probably best at inside-right where he earned a reputation as a clever ball player. Has represented Trinidad and was also a member of the 1952 Caribbean team.

CARLTON 'SQUEAKIE' HINDS. Inside-right. Has a reputation with Trinidad soccer fans as a clever dribbler and ball distributer and in addition has a powerful shot in either foot. Diminutive in appearance his artistry enables him to hold his own in any company.

FYLBERT SEYMOUR. Center-forward. A very fast forward and his 5 goals make him the top-scorer of the touring side. Played in the Caribbean team in 1952 but this is his first appearance on a representative match for Trinidad.

MATHEW NUNES. Inside-left. A clever forward with good ball control and a shot in either foot. Played in the Caribbean side in 1952 and considered the star forward of the touring side.

HORACE LOVELACE. Outside-left. A very fast left-winger who has greatly impressed English critics since playing in this country. Has been selected on numerous occasions for Trinidad.

With the best of luck to both teams and pleasurable watching to all spectators.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:44:10 PM by E-man »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 09:21:22 AM »
Nicely done.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
Syl Dopson was real kicks we. Dat man travel everywhere with his quatro. Use to visit my old man and his brothers and is calypso all night. Charleau was a master class footballer
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »
I heard a lot about them guys when I was coming up. Two of Lovelace sons went QRC. One was in class with me. Norace did play for QRC. They say Lovelace was real good. They use to call him pepperwine. I also knew Nunes son Mathew who use to play for a small team called Preston from Belmont. They say  Nunes was real bad also. I think he and Allan Joseph played pro-ball in Caracas. Tallman.........!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 04:11:14 PM »
I heard a lot about them guys when I was coming up. Two of Lovelace sons went QRC. One was in class with me. Norace did play for QRC. They say Lovelace was real good. They use to call him pepperwine. I also knew Nunes son Mathew who use to play for a small team called Preston from Belmont. They say  Nunes was real bad also. I think he and Allan Joseph played pro-ball in Caracas. Tallman.........!!!

Yes, Allan Joseph played for Centro Atlético in Caracas. As ah matter of fact, his nickname was "Caracas". I eh know about Nunes, but Natty Sealy went to Caracas with Joseph.

Pepperwine's first name was Horace, not Norace.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »
Norace was his son who played for QRC.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
Norace was his son who played for QRC.
Or hor. Ah need comprehension lessons. LOL.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 05:16:20 PM »
Nah Tallman,
                   Is I who screw up.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
Syl Dopson was real kicks we. Dat man travel everywhere with his quatro. Use to visit my old man and his brothers and is calypso all night. Charleau was a master class footballer

as i see dis name i think bout music, ent he was some kinda rel music man too wid ah band or something? or i getting meh wire crossed?

Mr. Dutty interesting fact bout Holly, me eh know he had it like dat back in the day!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »

as i see dis name i think bout music, ent he was some kinda rel music man too wid ah band or something? or i getting meh wire crossed?

Mr. Dutty interesting fact bout Holly, me eh know he had it like dat back in the day!

Yeah Syl had a band, too. Same guy.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »

Action during the friendly match between Bristol Rovers and a Trinidad F.A. XI. (August 31, 1953) Bristol players shown are Lyons and Hooper. The T&T players are Bernard Garcia and Delbert Charleau.

http://www.ttfootballhistory.com/node/2120

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 10:18:42 PM »

Action during the friendly match between Bristol Rovers and a Trinidad F.A. XI. (August 31, 1953) Bristol players shown are Lyons and Hooper. The T&T players are Bernard Garcia and Delbert Charleau.

nice pull :beermug:...decent teams playin T&T since the 50's
we reach long time
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 08:17:19 AM »

nice pull :beermug:...decent teams playin T&T since the 50's
we reach long time

Nice pic - but what I mainly seeing is the free header the man get!! ..is either the keeper real save dey or he pullin do ball outta de onion bag...

So it would seem is at least 50 yrs now dat we doh really have an affinity for playing solid defense.   Ce la vie!!   ;D
Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:51 AM »
Yeah dat look like sure goal to me... TNT defense *shake head*

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »
How all yuh know that was a goal. Like all yuh was dey or what. Maybe it glanced off his forid or he missed it altogether.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »
How all yuh know that was a goal. Like all yuh was dey or what. Maybe it glanced off his forid or he missed it altogether.

Yuh cyah even tell wha part of de field that is....

it completely plausible that it occurring in midfield
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 12:36:40 PM »
The team self from a postcard off ebay

Delbert Charleau, Bernard Garcia, Ian Seales, Doyle Griffith, Joey Gonsalves, Horace Lovelace, Gerry Parsons, Paul Carr, Matthew Nunes
Shay Seymour, Eric James, W. Vincent "Sonny" Brown, Allan Joseph
Colin Agostini, Robert Hamel-Smith, Carlton "Putty" Lewis, Syl Dopson, Conrad Braithwaite, John Atwell, Rex Burnett, Carlton "Squeakie" Hinds, Pat Gomes

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »
Just show meh mom the thread, bring her back "ah few years" she say,..she thought it was ah quiz, she start to call team...
She say Squeaky " Malvern , Horace - Colts, Seymour - Colts or Malvern, ah go come back to that, Syl - Sporting Club, Joseph & Braf- Maple,Gomes - Casuals, Joey...Joey...Leh meh eat, ah go come back...what ah winning, what ah winning, had some fellas from south too.."
ah say Mom yuh not winning nothing, is not no contest, she say "yuh mean I huttin meh head for nothing "..
me hit she, 'True trini, cyah do something for nothing'
she watch meh like she wha say "and ah make you"   :-X
hear she instead nah, "1.2..3...4...5...6..7...8..9..10", "1..2.3..4..5..6..7....9.10"
 :rotfl:

ps: nice collector's piece Eman
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:02:53 PM by maxg »

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
BM here... "FORID"... yes deeks...nice one..lol...

and brilliant stuff eman...danke..prost

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:13 PM »
It is a pity they did not film some of these games of the old timers. I have heard great things of all them guys. I know they were very good when playing against their peers in the Caribbean. I will not kid myself to think they could have match the English first tier teams toe to toe. But, still that a team of rank amateurs would go England and play to the best of their abilities against some very good team is pretty cool.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »
I play Golf with Squekie Hinds...what a gentleman....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>