March 28, 2024, 03:39:16 PM

Author Topic: South Africans fear crime could mar World Cup  (Read 3809 times)

Offline LondonTrini LFC

• El mejor...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Rafa is Magic
    • View Profile
South Africans fear crime could mar World Cup
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:51:18 AM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/football/01/29/southafrica.survey.2010/index.html?iref=intlOnlyonCNN

By Mike Steere
For CNN
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A survey by football's governing body FIFA has found that more than half of South African people are worried about the country's high crime rate impacting the 2010 World Cup.
South Africans are happy to have the World Cup, but worried about crime during the event.

South Africans are happy to have the World Cup, but worried about crime during the event.

The World Cup, which goes to South Africa for the first time next year, is the beautiful game's showpiece event and is expected to attract global interest in the African nation.

FIFA's survey showed 53 percent of people were worried that the nation's crime rate -- which is one of the highest in the world -- could affect the event, which is now less than 500 days away.

Official statistics from the country show violent crime is a major issue, with more than 17,000 murders and almost 137,000 serious and violent assaults recorded in 2007.

Despite the concerns, more South Africans (77%) now believe the World Cup will be a success, and 91% of people believe the event will have a positive effect on the country's tourism sector, the survey found.

Overall, 88% of people said they were "proud" that South Africa was hosting the 2010 event.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said security at the event would be very tight.

"Through the competition, there will be extremely tight security, just as there is at the Olympic Games and other huge sporting events. We hope that this security will be maintained after the World Cup in order to ensure that we have left a legacy," Blatter said.

One thousand people were questioned for the FIFA survey.
Shut up Sven...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: South Africans fear crime could mar World Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:08:47 PM »
They should b worried.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
they will have ah problem,evrybody will be lookin to put someting in they pocket,if it involves robbin some naive european or american tourist,so be it.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
pardon me........I havent been really focused on SA......but is 17,000 murders dey say.........ah guess dat eh bad wit a population over 44 million.........

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »
Interesting ... off the topic.
I watching the Milan game on mute and have NBC for the SB on to the side, and Bob Costas just mentioned that while the SB is the biggest sporting event to Americans, the Olympics is the biggest sporting event to the world.

Now while I know NBC has television rights, which will obviously influence the propoganda they pitch - I always thought it was the World Cup that was the biggest sporting event in the world.

throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:38:57 PM »
I watching the Milan game on mute and have NBC for the SB on to the side, and Bob Costas just mentioned that while the SB is the biggest sporting event to Americans, the Olympics is the biggest sporting event to the world.

Now while I know NBC has television rights, which will obviously influence the propoganda they pitch - I always thought it was the World Cup that was the biggest sporting event in the world.

World Cup is the single most watched sporting event in the World. Dem American never want to talk about that.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »

Bob costas is wrong to say that when just 2 days ago his colleague keith obermann said it was the World Cup that is the biggest sporting event in the world....  

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 05:50:37 PM »
KO keeps it real.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
pardon me........I havent been really focused on SA......but is 17,000 murders dey say.........ah guess dat eh bad wit a population over 44 million.........
Are you justifying 17,000 murders in one year because of the pop. of 44 million.Yuh cyah be serious man.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »
Are you justifying 17,000 murders in one year because of the pop. of 44 million.Yuh cyah be serious man.

17,000 is really alarming...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »

Bob costas is wrong to say that when just 2 days ago his colleague keith obermann said it was the World Cup that is the biggest sporting event in the world....  
[/quote]

It depends on how you measure it... I think the WC is the largest spectator event, while the Olympics have the largest viewership worldwide.  Not too sure though.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »
Talking to those SA college footballers, and they were saying they don't know how they getting people to other games around SA. They were talking about places they don't go in J'burg where they live for fear of  being robbed or becoming some type of victim.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »

...only if yuh compare it to Trinbago's statistics  :-\

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »

nah ah wasnt.......america have 300 million plus and didnt cross dat 17,000 mark

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »

...only if yuh compare it to Trinbago's statistics  :-\

some fuzzy duzzy math.......trinbago at around 50 right now........50x12=600x40=24000

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »
I wonder what Brasil's #s are.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »

2003 51000 and 2006 46000

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 07:54:01 PM »

2003 51000 and 2006 46000

Brazil have over 140 mil population
T&T have 1.5 and read this   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homicide_rate

Scary >:(
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 08:01:37 PM »
.... and they worried about a lil 17000?

1]; } ?>