April 28, 2024, 09:45:45 PM

Author Topic: Messi propels 5,000-goal Barcelona  (Read 2230 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Messi propels 5,000-goal Barcelona
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:13:27 PM »
Supersub Lionel Messi scored twice as nine-man Barcelona, with their 5,000th Spanish league goal, came from behind to beat Racing Santander 2-1 and move 12 points clear of Real Madrid. A Nikola Zigic penalty had put Racing in front on 56 minutes before Messi changed the game, equalising just five minutes after coming on and then scoring an 81st minute winner with his weaker right foot. Messi's personal goals tally for the season is now 16 while Barcelona, unbeaten in 20 games, recorded a ninth straight league win. "You always know that Messi is capable of creating a goal and fortunately for us he created two," Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola said. "We had dominated, but without creating much going forward against a well-organised Racing side."

Valencia did their Champions League hopes the world of good with a 3-2 victory over Almeria. David Villa scored twice to notch his 16th and 17th goals of the campaign as Valencia moved a point behind third-placed Sevilla and three points ahead of Villarreal, who slipped in a 3-0 defeat at Deportivo La Coruna.

Sevilla, who defeated Valencia to reach the Kings Cup semi-final in midweek, suffered a 1-0 defeat at Sporting Gijon in Sunday's late match.

The home side overcame an early red card to Mate Bilic, and then a missed penalty mid-way through the first half, to claim all three points thanks to a goal after 16 minutes from Diego Castro.

Barcelona are the favourites for the cup after defeating Espanyol to reach the semi-finals and looked off the pace in the first half against Racing. Racing had the first opening after 11 minutes with Jonathan Pereira's shot hitting the post. In the 56th minute, Racing won a penalty when Rafael Marquez committed a silly foul on Perreira and Zigic cooly converted the penalty.

He (Messi) had two half chances and scored both of them.
Racing Santander coach Juan Ramon Muniz

Guardiola responded by throwing on Messi, who had been rested, for Sergi Busquets on the hour mark and it quickly paid dividends. Five minutes after coming on, Messi equalised from close range after Xavi's header had come off the crossbar. Messi then struck again, controlling the ball on his chest before firing in a right-footed shot for Barcelona's 5,000th league goal.

"He (Messi) had two half chances and scored both of them," Racing coach Juan Ramon Muniz said. Barcelona finished the match with nine men after Marquez and Gerard Pique were sent off late on for cynical fouls.

Real had defeated Numancia 2-0 on Saturday for a sixth successive league victory and must again be frustrated that Barca collected maximum points. The game was an historic one as Real captain Raul scored his 307th goal for the club to equal Alfredo di Stefano's all-time goalscoring record.

"Raul could certainly get 400 or 450 goals as he is still young," di Stefano told daily Marca. "He is only 31 and could play until he is 37 or 38."

Atletico Madrid's miserable year continued as they fell to a 2-1 home defeat against Valladolid. Atletico have yet to win in 2009 and were jeered off the pitch at the Vicente Calderon.

"Am I worried about my job? I have a contract that I signed in front of two others and they haven't told me that it will end before the set date," said Atletico coach Javier Aguirre. "I have faith in myself and what I am doing and what the players are doing, too. I hope that on May 31 (the final day of the season) we are talking about something else."

The bottom three of Osasuna, Espanyol and Mallorca are locked on 17 points. Osasuna won their relegation duel with Real Mallorca triumphing 1-0.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
Re: Messi propels 5,000-goal Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:04:45 AM »
According to Wiki, Messi has 67 goals in 138 appearance for Barca over a 4 year period.
He has 28 goals in 25 appearances this season.

Wiki says Raul has 307 goals in 664 games.

The source says, Di Stefano had 377 goals in 521 games.

The post above says Raul is 31, could play to 38 and score 450. However, Messi is 21 - footballers seems to peak around 27.

Let's just consider simple math without weighting or extrapolating any numbers.
Di Stefano scored 1 goal per 1.38 games.
Raul scored 1 goal every 2.16 games
Messi is scoring  1 goal every 2.05 games (but this season he is scoring astonishing 1 goal every 1.12 games)

At Messi's current rate ... he could even catch up with Raul - BEFORE Raul retires!!!
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:33:14 AM »
According to Wiki, Messi has 67 goals in 138 appearance for Barca over a 4 year period.

The post above says Raul is 31, could play to 38 and score 450. However, Messi is 21 - footballers seems to peak around 27.

Messi is scoring  1 goal every 2.05 games (but this season he is scoring astonishing 1 goal every 1.12 games)

At Messi's current rate ... he could even catch up with Raul - BEFORE Raul retires!!!

Messi's current rate probably isn't sustainable for the rest of the season, let alone the rest of his career. But given his age and talent, it wouldn't surprise anyone if he breakS LAa Liga scroing records.

Under lows..I'd put more money on David Villa scoring more goals than Raul if he stays in La Liga. He will always be a deadly hitman...I could see Messi become more and more of a withdrawn playmaker as he gets older

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »
Racing 1 - Barcelona 2

Highlights

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DOYZBOdR524" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DOYZBOdR524</a>

Més que un club.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »

Messi's current rate probably isn't sustainable for the rest of the season, let alone the rest of his career. But given his age and talent, it wouldn't surprise anyone if he breakS LAa Liga scroing records.

Under lows..I'd put more money on David Villa scoring more goals than Raul if he stays in La Liga. He will always be a deadly hitman...I could see Messi become more and more of a withdrawn playmaker as he gets older

Messi will probably get injured next weekend and his season will end.... he is too injury prone but a very good talent...possibly the best player in the world at the moment... but lets see if he can help Barca to some titles first

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »
Messi will probably get injured next weekend and his season will end....

Keeping it classy.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:02:18 PM »
Messi will probably get injured next weekend and his season will end....

Keeping it classy.

was being sarcastic

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »
I now realise is ah right foot the man score yes.

Més que un club.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »

Both goals were brilliant... he's definitely on his way to becoming a measuring stick for greatness...

Was probably the best game I have seen in a while  :beermug:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »

Under normal circumstances I'd agree w/you, but there is nothing normal about his performance for the season thus far (rest of his career is a more difficult argument), the man looks like genius personified, barring injury, we could be in store for the best yet as La Liga goes into the 2nd half, Copa Del Rey semis/finals, and CL heats up
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »
I ain't see no team to beat Barca in the Primera Liga...Ramos now putting his stamp at Real, but it is too late, if yuh ask me...

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
they dont call this man "la pulga atomica" for nothing u know.  when this man running at defenders you could actually feel the fright, they does be like deer in the headlights. i remember in the u-20 (or was it u-17) final vs nigeria that man cause 2 penalties with his quicksilver pace and control, barring injuries he could be the next man to be mentioned in the same breath as pele, maradona, eusebio, best et al

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »

Both goals were brilliant... he's definitely on his way to becoming a measuring stick for greatness...

agree with the 2nd part. but his first goal was simple. it required composure and good technique, but players with half his talent should score that. 2nd goal was sweet..especially as he got tripped in mid air and kept his balance

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »

agree with the 2nd part. but his first goal was simple. it required composure and good technique, but players with half his talent should score that. 2nd goal was sweet..especially as he got tripped in mid air and kept his balance

cronaldo and the host of lesser players woulda opted for the penalty on that play.  This boy is absolutely brilliant.  Best player in football.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>