April 24, 2024, 03:16:40 PM

Author Topic: Julius James in MLS 'excitement in 2009' XI  (Read 1908 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Julius James in MLS 'excitement in 2009' XI
« on: February 05, 2009, 02:54:38 PM »
First XI: Taking down names
By Jeff Bradley / Special to MLSnet.com

A look at players who could bring excitement in 2009

Sometimes it's a single play that makes you want to see more from a player. Sometimes it's a move from one team, one system, to another that makes you think a player might be on the verge of a big season.

This is what the offseason is for First XI: anticipation. Here's a list of players we want can't wait to see on the field come late March:

11. Marco Pappa, Chicago Fire. We caught only a few fleeting glimpses of Pappa last season, as he amassed only 217 regular-season minutes. It was, however, Pappa's one playoff minute that has me thirsting to see more. Remember that vicious shot he unleashed in the waning moments of the Fire's Eastern Conference Championship loss to the Crew? Perhaps I'm making too much out of too little, but as the 2009 season opens up, I'm anxious to see if Pappa's got more of that.

10. Maykel Galindo, Chivas USA. All we got to see out of Galindo a year ago was a paltry 549 minutes as he was nursing injury after injury. In 2007, the Cuban striker looked to be well on his way to becoming one of the league's more dangerous attackers. What's more, his partnership with Ante Razov was looking like one of the league's best fire-and-ice combos ever. Can Galindo return to his old form? Can he even take it up a notch? That's what I want to see.

9. Cory Gibbs, Colorado Rapids. After a three-season hiatus from MLS, we got to see Gibbs for eight games a year ago. Upon first glimpse, he still looks to have his speed and his poise, but can he step up and be a leader for a Colorado team that missed the playoffs? Gibbs just turned 29, so he's still in his prime. But it is nearing now-or-never time. Can he stay healthy?

8. Dave van den Bergh, FC Dallas. This is just a case of me wanting to see how a player who developed into such a key figure on one team -- New York -- can do when he steps onto the field for a new team. Especially when that team, FCD, needs for him to be at least the player and leader he had become in New York a season ago. Certainly, this was a bitter pill for Red Bulls fans to swallow, having watched VDB develop into such a key figure on their team. Dallas now hopes the transition is quick and smooth, because this is a player they need at his best.

7. Francis Doe, D.C. United. I'm remembering Doe's two-goal performance against New England in October and wondering, is he a starter or super sub for D.C in '09? In a way, it reminds me of the first go-round for Andy Herron in MLS, when he joined Chicago late and looked like he'd be a terror in MLS for many years ... only to become just another well-traveled forward. D.C. United could use a breakout season from someone. Can it be the 24-year-old Liberian?

6. Julius James, Houston Dynamo. The defender from Trinidad goes from a sometime-starting, rookie player in Toronto to the "guy we traded Dwayne De Rosario for" in Houston. Yeah, that's pressure. Sure, Houston also got allocation money along with James for DeRo, but MLS fans have never had an easy time getting used to the player for money thing. They'll remember James.

5. Dominic Oduro, New York Red Bulls. Like James, Oduro is going to be feeling some heat from the New York fans as he's the player the Red Bulls acquired for the popular van den Bergh. Oduro has speed to burn. That's never been questioned. What is questioned, however, is how come Oduro has never started more than 10 games in an MLS season? Can he earn starter's minutes on the field alongside Juan Pablo Angel, or will he continue only as a late-game spark?

4. Will Johnson, Real Salt Lake. There's little doubt that Johnson added an element to RSL down the stretch, when he joined the team after finishing a stint in Holland. He scored the MLS Sierra Mist Goal of the Year, but that's not what has me wanting to see more. It was the way Johnson seemed to bring a whole new element to RSL's attack. I want to see if the 22-year old is for real.

3. Nate Jaqua, Seattle Sounders. Seems I say this every year, but I keep thinking that Jaqua is on the verge of a monster season in MLS. He had four goals in 14 games in Houston a year ago. I think he's a 10-plus scorer in the right environment. Is Seattle that place? Will Sigi Schmid's first-year collection provide him with enough service to hit double digits? This I want to know.

2. Eddie Gaven, Columbus Crew. How many times have you heard this question in the past year? "Can you believe Eddie Gaven is still only 22?" Well, yeah, he is. And even though (preposterous as it is) some media have called his MLS career "disappointing," there's quite a bit of miles left on Gaven's tires. A Best XI choice at the age of 18. Now, a champion. I have a feeling people are soon going to be seeing Gaven emerge as one of the league's elite players.

1. Dwayne De Rosario, Toronto FC. And if there's pressure on Julius James in Houston, how about the expectations for native son DeRo in Toronto? Was last season -- 7 goals -- a sign that De Rosario is on the downside? Or will a move to Toronto FC re-ignite this all-time MLS great? Toronto is looking at this acquisition as the move that will make them a playoff team. How will he mix with what TFC have already assembled? Will it be magical? Can't wait to see.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Julius James in MLS 'excitement in 2009' XI
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »
I know he will do just fine, I hope the fans give him time to adjust. He will be the centre of attention, after all he was traded for Dwayne De Rosario.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »
it kinda unfair to place that kinda pressure on Julius. he was traded for an attacking player and the US audience, who only appreciates the exciting aspect of the game, will never be able to accept julius because he is a defender. i think professionally he will do great things in houston and i wish him all d best, but to hold him up and compare him to dwayne is kinda unfair!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »
But he still can't get a regular bligh with the Soca Warriors!  Are we crazy or just don't know talent when we have it?  Not even a regular bench!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »
I think Julius is a special player and great things are ahead for him

He reminds me of Darryl Roberts....good enough and you ask why they are not on the first team

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:10:53 PM »
it kinda unfair to place that kinda pressure on Julius. he was traded for an attacking player and the US audience, who only appreciates the exciting aspect of the game, will never be able to accept julius because he is a defender. i think professionally he will do great things in houston and i wish him all d best, but to hold him up and compare him to dwayne is kinda unfair!! :beermug:

That's a gross oversimplification... Eddie Pope was arguably the first US-born star that MLS ever had (not counting John Harkes who had by then made his name in England).

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 06:52:41 AM »
big up to julius big tings a gwan 2009
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:37:30 AM »

That's a gross oversimplification... Eddie Pope was arguably the first US-born star that MLS ever had (not counting John Harkes who had by then made his name in England).

boss i was refering to the average US fan who is not educated on the game. all they tune in to is when the games have a fight, plenty goals, or one of their foreign based players do well. outside of that, they wont know julius james if he was standing on their foot. :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »
I think Julius is a special player and great things are ahead for him

He reminds me of Darryl Roberts....good enough and you ask why they are not on the first team

doh forget Patterson...

Don't worry, Houston is definitely not the typical 'US Audience' when it comes to MLS... most of the diehard Dynamo fans are Mexican, Salvadorean, and Colombian...with the typical sprinkling of 'soccer moms', dads, and kids in there as well. Some of the greatest games in Houston have not been the typical MLS fireworks displays, but rather gritty, down-and-dirty, European-styled slugfests- and I think the fans have come to appreciate these things. But even if none of this was true, JJ will be respected in Houston, because he is quite simply ah big player. :beermug:

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »
when i meet de man the last game of the TFC season, he real cool  :beermug:

Hope he know he doh have to prove anything to anyone...good luck  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »
boss i was refering to the average US fan who is not educated on the game. all they tune in to is when the games have a fight, plenty goals, or one of their foreign based players do well. outside of that, they wont know julius james if he was standing on their foot. :beermug:

Boss, how do you even know what "the average US fan" knows... yuh talk to dem?  You arrogantly assume that you know more than the average US fan... just like many Trinis arrogantly presume that TnT should be better than the US in football, not understanding why we getting we ass cut on de regular.  Bottomline is, don't confuse the average American (who truly could care about soccer) for the average US fan, the fans know their sport... they certainly know MLS.

1]; } ?>