April 20, 2024, 03:48:41 AM

Author Topic: First Citizens Cup Thread.  (Read 61144 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 First Citizens Cup Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »
"If North East is better because they compete in the so called Pro league where no one gets prize money, so be it."

Joe Public were  part of the board that voted to defer prize money distribution until the govt paid their money. But wait, isn't Jack Warner part of that govt? So, if I understand you correct, Mr Horner, you feel that Jack and his government are responsible for Joe Public leaving the Pro League?

Well, I sincerley hope you write to Mr Warner with your complaint and stop wasting our time here.

"Joe Public is already $50,000 richer and is aiming for the first price now." Congratulations...sincerely, I have a lot of friends at JP and I'm pleased for them. Not sure what the first "price" is...maybe you should get a keyboard with a "z" on it? However, I'm sure that teams like Nottingham Forest could winthe Championship in England if Tottenham run away from the Premiership and gave their players to Forest. Its easy to step down and beat teams that are below your standard.

You sound like you have a serious toothache Pal.

I sense that you are upset, however if you can read English, you will see that Joe Public only uses 2 players from their Pro League team.

Toussaint and Tinto, all the other players and coaches were sold or released, maybe North East Stars should have bought some, with the price tag of Stern John you could have gotten 2 maybe 3 Joe Public players.

Did you read this story as yet ?

Joe Public surge forward

You're right. Stern John was free, so we could have had dozens of JP rejects. In fact we did actually reject some players who were panicked after being treated so disrespectfully by the Warners. Maybe you should take the $50k you crow about and hand it out to those people you made unemployed?

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »
You're right. Stern John was free, so we could have had dozens of JP rejects. In fact we did actually reject some players who were panicked after being treated so disrespectfully by the Warners. Maybe you should take the $50k you crow about and hand it out to those people you made unemployed?

I think you really need to go back to school Pal, maybe you went to a Junior Secondary in Toco. ?

I was never referring to a transfer fee, I was talking about his salary which I have sure its a heafty sum.

Like the national team these men do not come cheap, a next reason why Sancho's best friend Kelvin Jack refuse to sign with North East, its all about the green.
Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »

I think you really need to go back to school Pal, maybe you went to a Junior Secondary in Toco. ?

I was never referring to a transfer fee, I was talking about his salary which I have sure its a heafty sum.

Like the national team these men do not come cheap, a next reason why Sancho's best friend Kelvin Jack refuse to sign with North East, its all about the green.

Pal, you're the idiot that needs to go to school, or maybe it was your pal Jack who taught you incorrectly? You said: "the price tag of Stern John" If you meant salary, you should have said so. As for Kelvin Jack, you should speak about what you know, not what you guess.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ryUObxkoSRE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ryUObxkoSRE</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
  • he who rise against poor ppl shal perish in d end
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »
2011 First Citizens Cup
Quarterfinal Day One

Friday 16 September
Hasely Crawford Stadium
T&TEC FC vs St. Ann’s Rangers—5pm
W Connection vs Caledonia AIA—7pm

Quarterfinal Day Two
Tuesday 20 September

Hasely Crawford Stadium
T&TEC FC vs San Juan Jabloteh—5pm
Connection vs North East Stars—7pm

Quarterfinal Day Three
Friday 23 September
Hasely Crawford Stadium
St. Ann’s Rangers vs San Juan Jabloteh—5pm
Caledonia AIA vs North East Stars—7pm

Semi Final Round
Friday 30 September

Final
Friday 14 October

Semi final 1: Caledonia: 2 (Jamal Gay both) vs Jabloteh:1 (M. Oliver pen)

Semi Final 2: T&TEC:1 (R. Aguilera) vs W Conn: 1 (Britto) >>>> T&TEC adv 4-3 on pks

Friday 14th final: Caledonia vs T&TEC
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:59:24 PM by Tallman »
Soca Warriors, Holland And Barcelona,
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
Adams Construction San Juan Jabloteh   1   Caledonia AIA   2   
Marvin Oliver (34’)
Jamal Gay (47’), (66’)

W Connection  1   T&TEC  1
Jerrel Britto (70’)
Romauld Aguillera (21’)

(T&TEC won 4-3 on kicks from the penalty spot)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2011, 04:59:33 AM »
T&TEC is impressive, they may not play great, but they getting de job done, I am shock W Connection lost, Penalty or not, a lost is a lost.

T&TEC is unbeaten and Clayton Imps didn't even play.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&TEC upsets Connection to reach First Citizens Cup Final
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
T&TEC upsets Connection to reach First Citizens Cup Final
ttproleague.com

W Connection may be sporting some of the brightest young talents in Trinidad and Tobago football, however former players Romauld Aguillera and Kelvin Modeste haunted the Stuart Charles Fevrier coached side on Friday night in the second semi-final of the 2011 First Citizens Cup.

T&TEC making its debut in tournament this season, shocked all with a 4-3 kicks from the penalty spot victory following a 1-1 draw over the six-time winners, with former Connection player Modeste burying the winning penalty against goalkeeper Aquilius Sylvester.

T&TEC will meet Caledonia AIA in the Final on Friday 14 October at the Hasely Crawford Stadium both with a chance to lift the title for the first time.

It was another former Connection player, Romauld Aguillera that gave T&TEC a 1-0 advantage in the 21st minute after bouncing a pass off teammate Sylvester Teesdale and slotting a low shot past Sylvester.

Both sides struggled to settle against each other in the opening period, but in the second period Connection dominated chances.

Teenaged substitute Jomol Williams was introduced by Fevrier on the hour mark and his first touch on the ball was a shot on goal which was foiled safely by goalkeeper Akini Adams.

Seconds later Williams picked up a yellow card for a useless foul, however his side leveled the scores 1-1 in the 70th minute through another teenager Jerrel Britto who executed a superb strike from inside the area after the T&TEC defence failed to clear a crossed ball by Shahdon Winchester.

It was Britto’s fourth goal in as many games for his new club, netting in every game.

Hector who has four goals in the tournament and went on to smash in the first kick from the penalty spot had a decent shot from distance just overbar and seven minutes from regulation time his low whipped in cross which defeated the backline found substitute Neil Benjamin at the far post, but the 17 yearold’s shot on goal was blocked out by goalkeeper Adams.

And in the final regular time minute yet another former Connection midfielder Andre Pacheco saw his free kick from the right crash onto the crossbar and onto goalkeeper Sylvester and back into play, in what was inches short of giving T&TEC a regulation time victory.

However 24 yearold goalkeeper Adams starting in his second game for T&TEC with first choice goalkeeper Clayton Ince still out with an injured shoukder made two saves from the penalty kicks, denying Connection’s third (Joevin Jones) and fifth (Jerrel Britto) kicks setting up his teammate Modeste for the winner, in which the midfielder converted with confidence.

In the earlier semi-final contest Caledonia registered a 2-1 comeback victory over rivals San Juan Jabloteh with striker Jamal Gay netting both items.

W Connection 3                                  T&TEC FC  4
Hughton Hector(scored)                    Romauld Aguillera(scored)
Mekeil Williams(scored)                    Coneal Thomas(saved)
Joevin Jones(saved)                             Anthony Noriega(scored)
Rennie Britto(scored)                         Sylvester Teesdale(scored)
Jerrel Britto(saved)                             Kelvin Modeste(scored)

Regular time result W Connection 1—1 T&TEC FC
Jerrel Britto 70’  ; Romauld Aguillera 21’

San Juan Jabloteh 1—2 Caledonia AIA
Marvin Oliver 34’(pen)  ;  Jamal Gay 47’, 66’

W Connection—Aquilius Sylvester(gk), Hughton Hector(capt.), Mekeil Williams, Akeem Benjamin, Kenaz Williams, Joevin Jones, Kerron Cummings(Jomol Williams 60th)(Y), Shahdon Winchester, Andre Quashie(Neil Benjamin 46th), Jerrel Britto, Kern Cupid(Rennie Britto 29th)

Coach—Stuart Charles Fevrier

T&TEC FC—Akini Adams(capt.), Kern Peters(capt.), Anthony Noriega, Coneal Thomas, Romauld Aguillera, Sylvester Teesdale, Vurlon Mills(Daniel Garcia 80th), Andrei Pacheco, Kerlon Furguson(Bevon Lewis 74th), Kevin Modeste, Akeem Adams
Coach—Dexter Cyrus

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&TEC upsets Connection to reach First Citizens Cup Final
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5UTACyef7v4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5UTACyef7v4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cojpj3z2s9s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Cojpj3z2s9s</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fevrier contented despite First Citizens Cup semis defeat
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:08 PM »
Fevrier contented despite First Citizens Cup semis defeat
ttproleague.com

“It’s not all about winning,” enlightened W Connection head coach Stuart Charles Fevrier in an interview with ttproleague.com this week.

Connection, six-time winner of the First Citizens Cup and eight-time finalist, went under 4-3 on penalty kicks against T&TEC FC on Friday night at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in the semi-final round following a 1-1 draw.

“We always try and win everything that we play in, but winning is not everything. We want to win with quality and although we were defeated in the semi-finals we are playing quality football,” Fevrier said.

“So I was still quite pleased with our effort (against T&TEC),” continued the St. Lucian.

He added, “Our players have been together for twelve weeks. It’s a very young team and we have been showing a lot of progress.”

Connection conceded a first half goal scored by former player Romauld Aguillera in the 21st minute, but leveled the scores 1-1 in the 70th minute with a strike from 19 yearold Jerrel Britto who has scored in all four games played for the Fevrier coached side this season.

Britto a newcomer to Connection this season, is one of the many teenaged names in Fevrier’s squad made up of mostly U23 players with the likes of Shahdon Winchester, Kenaz Williams, Jomol Williams, Neil Benjamin, Akeem Benjamin, Mekeil Williams, goalkeeper Andre Marchan and 16 year-old Matthew Woo Ling.

“I just thought on the day I was still satisfied with play,” continued the Connection coach. “A draw was a fair result. Both teams didn’t create much scoring opportunities, and we just lost on penalties. It happens to a lot of good teams, so I put pressure on the players.

Although we had more control of the game, we didn’t create many chances. T&TEC always played with numbers behind the ball and it made it difficult for us to penetrate them,” said Fevrier.

When asked about his personal disappointment of not reaching this year’s Final, of the tournament he won in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008, Fevrier responded, “Personally I don’t study these things when it comes to past records and so on. I just keep working hard and try my best to win everything. And that has always been the effort of W Connection. Try and win everything that we play in. We are back on the training pitch now and it remains the same that we are going to attempt to win everything left to play in.”

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2012 First Citizens Cup
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »
FRIDAY 21st September

Manny Ramjohn Stadium

6pm W.Connection vs Police

8pm Defence Force vs Central F.C.

Hasely Crawford Stadium

6pm North East Stars vs St Anns Rangers

8pm T&TEC vs Caledonia AIA
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:58:12 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
First Citizens Cup quarterfinal round pits Caledonia, T&TEC
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »
First Citizens Cup quarterfinal round pits Caledonia, T&TEC
ttproleague.com

Last season's First Citizens Cup winner Caledonia AIA and runner-up T&TEC FC will meet eachother in the quarter-final round of this year's tournament on Friday 21 September.

The match-up was totally coincidental in Wednesday's random draw during the launch of the 2012 First Citizens Cup at the First Citizens Corporate Box at the Queens Park Oval, Port of Spain.

Caledonia's Kareem Joseph was the first to pull from eight secretly numbered cards respective to spots in the quarterfinal round. He was immediately followed by T&TEC midfielder Keeron Benito who to the delight of Caledonia coach, Jamaal Shabazz, pulled the card that pits the 'Electric Boys' against the defending champion.

Other quarter-final round clashes include six-time winner W Connection against Police FC from 6pm at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, and two hours later (8pm) at the Marabella venue, Defence Force are against debutant Central FC.

And prior to the T&TEC, Caledonia contest from 8pm at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, North East Stars and St. Ann's Rangers will challenge eachother from 6pm at the Port of Spain venue.

The semi-final round will follow on Friday 28 September and the Final on Friday 5 October. The winner of the tournament will lift the prestigious crystal trophy and $80,000.00 while $20,000.00 goes to the runner-up.

Warren Sookdar, Chief Information Officer at First Citizens, opened his remarks by quoting American football coach Anson Dorrance: “The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat and at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.”

He told the audience, “As we are about to start another thrilling First Citizens Cup, I am sure that all of this year's participating teams have had this experience in the months spent preparing to compete on the field in hopes of overthrowing defending champion, Caledonia. And for one team, their efforts will be realised on the Final day when there will be a cheque in one hand and a magnificent cup in the other.”

First Citizens awarded the League $350,000.00 for this season's tournament which will also financially reward the tournament’s Top Goalscorer, the Player of the Tournament and the Player of each Match.

The fans will also have a change at prizes themselves with the 'Biggest Cooler Crew' and 'Dash for Cash' promotions.

“This eleven year partnership has promoted the development of raw talent and as the only truly local bank, we are committed to enhancing our youth through their development in education and sport,” Sookdar continued.

“I must commend the TT Pro League for their efforts of finding innovative ways to improve football and for grooming our youth, not just into professional athletes but well rounded individuals.”

Sookdar told clubs that First Citizens recognise the hard work put into preparing athletes to vie for the ultimate title and went further to share a quote from Vince Lombardi who said “if winning isn't everything, why do we keep score?”

He concluded, “So in the spirit of these words, I urge all teams to put their winning foot forward because in this tournament there is no room for losers!”

Earlier League CEO Dexter Skeene applauded the financial institution for its commitment which spans over a decade.

“I am delighted that First Citizens, one of the premier financial services groups in T&T and the best rated indigenous financial institutions in the English speaking Caribbean, continues to be our partner and title sponsor of the premier club knockout competition in Trinidad and Tobago, and more so, they have agreed to continue their association with us,” said Skeene.

The former T&T international continued, “The first citizens Cup is a coveted prize in local sport.

But more than just the Cup or the competition it is the act of faith whereby First Citizens is saying that our vision, mission, corporate image and attributes and the TT Pro League's values align, and as such First Citizens are willing to associate their brand with the TT Pro League.

Our association with First Citizens demands that we strive for excellence always. It demands that we continue to go the extra mile towards making the TT Pro League and the clubs viable and sustainable. Let us continue to strive to achieve this goal by making this edition of the First Citizens Cup the most memorable and exciting,”

2012 First Citizens Cup Quarter Final Round
Friday 21 September

Hasely Crawford Stadium
North East Stars vs St. Ann's Rangers—6pm
T&TEC FC vs Caledonia AIA—8pm

Mannie Ramjohn Stadium
W Connection vs Police FC—6pm
Defence Force vs Central FC—8pm

Friday 28 September
Semi Final Round

Friday 5 October
Final

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Friendly banter excites First Citizens Cup
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
Friendly banter excites First Citizens Cup
ttproleague.com

Caledonia AIA Coach Jamaal Shabazz and North East Stars Coach Angus Eve were key players in friendly banter during the launch of the 2012 First Citizens Cup on Wednesday afternoon.

The duo among other coaches, players and even W Connection Marketing Manager Renee John-Williams joined in to add some flare to this season’s competition well before the kickoff on Friday in the quarter-final round.

“It was a problem to get back the trophy from the supporters, and you know the people of Morvant/Laventille,” joked Shabazz, who guided Caledonia to the title last season defeating T&TEC FC 2-1 in the Final.

The always charismatic Caledonia coach joked further saying he even tried getting the assistance of the Minister of National Security and Port of Spain Mayor to retrieve the trophy from his supporters.

Finally he said, “I had to get two soldiers to go and get the trophy. So you see how tough it would be to part with the trophy. So we look forward to the semi-finals.”

Coincidently by a random draw on Wednesday at the First Citizens Corporate Box at the Queens Park Oval on Wednesday, T&TEC and Caledonia will face eachother in the quarter-final round at the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 8pm, with North East Stars against St. Ann’s Rangers in the earlier match from 6pm at the Port of Spain venue.

Other quarter-final round clashes include six-time winner W Connection against Police FC from 6pm at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, and from 8pm, Defence Force takes on debutant Central FC.

The semi-final round will follow on Friday 28 September and the Final on Friday 5 October. The winner of the tournament will lift the prestigious trophy and $80,000.00 while $20,000.00 goes to the runner-up.

Firing back at Shabazz’s confidence, T&TEC FC captain Keeron Benito said, “I’d just like to say first of all, [Mr. Shabazz] is a very entertaining kind of guy. But right now I want to say that our guys are really ready to play. I don’t think T&TEC is under any pressure. I believe Cale’ is under all the pressure right now so that’s a positive for us going into the game.”

Meantime Eve who guided North East Stars to a 3-1 Digicel Pro League win over Caledonia last weekend is also looking ahead to the semi-final round.

He told quarter-final round opponents Rangers, “All yuh gone already.”

However Eve was quick to add, “All competitions are tough. I think people don’t give the Pro League the respect it should get.”

Rangers’ defensive midfielder Mikhail Awai seemed down to business.

He said, “With all the talk I have a lot of respect for people like Jamaal Shabazz and Angus Eve, but honestly what they say doesn’t matter to me. We are coming here to play a football match, not talking in a conference.

While Police Head Coach Richard Hood, coming off a 2-1 win over T&TEC in the League, is hoping to capitalize on Connection’s 3-2 loss to Guatemalan club Xelaju on Tuesday night in the CONCACAF Champions’ League group stage.

He said, “It would be really good for us to make a positive statement by beating them on Friday. I looked at their game (against Xelaju) and saw some areas that I feel we can exploit and just the fact that they played (Tuesday) they may be a little on the tired side. Also the fact that they lost; there may be a dip in confidence.”

But John-Williams was quick to defend her club.

She warned, “W Connection is no stranger to the first Citizens Cup and we have won this trophy time and time again. And this year would be no different. We would be coming at Police to win. We’ve won the competition six times and been in the Final nine times and that alone speaks for itself. We are coming very motivated to regain the title. Try your best, but we don’t go down very easily.”

Defence Force also voiced confidence and seems ready to learn on the run against newcomers Central FC.

“Not knowing about your opponent is a difficult thing,” said the Soldiers assistant coach Marvin Gordon. “Central FC is a new team in the League and we don’t know much about them, so I think Ross (Russell) and I will have to learn on the run on Friday.

But in our camp we are confident and I think since we’ve put together the Defence Force team in previous seasons, I think this is the best we ever had. We are high in confidence and playing good football. So I have no doubt in my mind that on Friday we will have the right result.”

Gordon said he is anxious to meet the loud talking North East Stars in the semi-final round.

“You know the ‘mouthers’,” he said. “Those are the teams I want to play against.”

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 First Citizens Cup
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »
Central F.C. pre match promo:     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeAb-xq8oxg

Offline TheLegend

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »
Will be there and looking forward to getting my first look at Central FC in person this seasons.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »
Will be there and looking forward to getting my first look at Central FC in person this seasons.

:beermug:

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Army 3 -Central 0
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
0-0 first half, Army scored within the first 5mins of the restart and then added two more late on. Very tight first half, with both teams having one or 2 half chances. Army was definitely the stronger of the two teams late on, and deserved victory on the night. I was able to get some really decent footage with what happens behind the scenes and will post the video once edited. Win, loose or draw I know the fellas at Central want to continue providing as best an insight into the ups and down of the football, and stuff you typically do not get to see normally..bless!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2012, 05:54:54 AM »
Rangers out Stars in First Citizens Cup quarterfinals.
ttproleague.com.

St. Ann’s Rangers surprised high flying North East Stars 2-1 in the first of a First Citizens Cup quarterfinal round double header at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Friday night.

Jason Marcano had Rangers ahead by the 28th minute, tapping in from close up to beat goalkeeper Cleon John for the 1-0 advantage, as teammate Jamal Jack remained slumped to the ground after hitting his head on the upright in an attempt to score.

Nevertheless Rangers celebrated; Jack returned to full action with little injury, and North East Stars had a game on.

Stars' centre forward Cornell Glen who packed in a solid shift for the Sangre Grande club, leveled the scores 1-1 in the 67th minute.

The former LA Galaxy striker made easy of a left side cross by Kevon Villarael to head past goalkeeper Zane Coker.

But three minutes later, the Stars dimmed.

Rangers midfielder Devon Modeste had the St. Ann's club in front again by the 70th minute with a 2-1 score.

Modeste raced in at the back post to meet Cameron Roget's header across goal and made no mistake as he flung in to get a shot past goalkeeper John.

Rangers moved into the semi-final round and will meet Defence Force on Friday 28 September. Defence Force rallied to a 3-0 win over Pro League debutants Central FC in their quarterfinal clash at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium with forward Richard Roy bagging two (48th and 70th minutes) and strike partner Devorn Jorlsing adding one in the 90th minute.

At the Hasely Crawford Stadium, North East Stars should have found the net in the 13th minute, however Coker was well poised to make a stop against Kerry Baptiste who latched onto a short pass forward by Glen.

A minute later Modeste unleashed an effort from the right of the box, thanks to a great diagonal ball by Marcano, however it was easily wrapped by John.

Modeste was denied again by John in the 18th minute, canceling out a shot from outside the area.

Modeste was involved again two minutes later, hustling the Stars defense, and somewhat creating an effort by Cameron Roget. But that too was taken easily by John.

Rangers centre back Elijah Belgrave also got on the statistics in the 25th minute with a strike from distance that flew a couple feet wide.

Glen stormed back for Stars, but was inches wide of the upright when he controlled a long forward pass and raced into the area.

The former T&T striker continued to prove too much for the Rangers defense and in the 33rd minute pulled off another effort but was blanked by Coker.

Coker, who helped Caledonia win the First Citizens Cup last season, was fortunate not to concede two minutes before the break as Glen blasted wide with the goalie at his mercy.

Coker's goal was under treat again eleven minutes into the second period when Baptiste's curling effort flew inches past the upper corner.

Baptiste tried his luck again in the 63rd minute, this time from distance, and Coker pulled off an excellent save pushing it behind.

In other results Caledonia scored an early double to defeat T&TEC FC 2-0 in the second quarterfinal at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, and W Connection finished 3-1 on kicks from the mark against Police FC following a goalless draw.

2012 First Citizens Cup
Quarter Final Round results

North East Stars 1—2 St. Ann's Rangers
Cornell Glen 67’ ; Jason Marcano 28', Devon Modeste 70’

W Connection (3) 0--0 (1) Police FC
W Connection won 3-1 on penalties

T&TEC FC 0--2 Caledonia AIA
Keyon Edwards 5, Sheldon Holder 9'

Defence Force 3--0 Central FC
Richard Roy 48', 70', Devorn Jorsling 90'

Teams

North East Stars—Cleon John, Seon Power (capt.), Cornell Glen, Jean-Luc Rochford (Kaydion Gabriel 46th), Kareem Moses, Kerry Baptiste, Elijah Manners, Jeromie Williams (Johan Peltier 72nd), Kevon Villarael, Jayson Joseph, Glenton Wolfe (Kennedy Hinkson 46th)

Coach—Angus Eve

St. Ann's Rangers—Zane Coker, Jamal Jack (Yellow Card), Devon Modeste, Elijah Belgrave, Jason Marcano (Yellow Card), Hector Sam (Yellow Card), Christon Thomas (Yellow Card), Cameron Roget, Kadeem Drayton, Andrew Smith (Nicholas Castellanos 80th), Mikhail Awai

Coach—Dean Pacheco‬

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2012, 05:30:00 AM »
Caledonia meets Connection in First Citizens Cup semis.
ttproleague.com.

Defending champion Caledonia AIA and six-time winner W Connection are into semi-final round of the First Citizens Cup and would face eachother on Friday 28 September.

While Defence Force, 3-0 winner over Central FC, and St. Ann's Rangers, 2-1 winner against North East Stars, will clash in the other semi-final.

Caledonia completed an early 2-0 win against last season's finalist T&TEC FC on Friday night at the Hasely Crawford Stadium with Keyon Edwards (5th minute) and Sheldon Holder (9th minute) the goalscorers.

Holder first set up the Edwards' goal after weaving his way around right-back Marc Hunte and his early cross was met perfectly by Edwards who volleyed past goalkeeper Akini Adams for a 1-0 score.

Holder made it 2-0 four minutes later when he guided in a miscued effort by Conrod Smith which flew across the face of goal.

Connection meantime, had to work overtime against Police FC for a 3-1 penalty win at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium following a goalless match.

But should have wrapped a win in the 85th minute from the penalty spot. Connection were awarded a penalty following a handball inside the area off Rennie Britto free kick however Clyde Leon was denied by goalkeeper Emmanuel Nurse.

Despite celebrating Nurse's shutout, the Lawmen were down to ten men for the final few minutes after Trent Noel picked up a second yellow card during his protest against the penalty call.

Further north, Caledonia seemed settled by its early two-goal margin while T&TEC were fortunate not to concede another item in the 18th minute when Nathan Lewis headed wide after he was found free at the back post by Kareem Joseph’s cross.

T&TEC had rare looks at goal with Javed Mohammed hitting wide from distance in the 49th minute and substitute Kevon Neaves forcing a good save out of goalkeeper Glenroy Samuel in the 76th minute.

Jamaal Shabazz's side was blanked a third item in the 83rd minute when substitute Abdallah Phillips' well struck half volley was wrapped by a fully sprawled Adams.

And two minutes later, another substitute, Trevin Caesar curled an effort just wide after eluding defender Hunte.

The 'Electric Boys' then got their best opening during injury time when substitute Simeon Augustus controlled a Bevon Bass cross inside the area and hooked a shot at goal, however Samuel was well positioned to make a comfortable gather.

Soon afterwards Caledonia's healthy possession saw the Morvant/Laventille execute a smooth buildup which ended with Lewis' strike wide of the target.

Results

T&TEC FC 0—2 Caledonia AIA
Keyon Edwards 5’, Sheldon Holder 9’

Teams

T&TEC FC—Akini Adams, Keeron Benito (capt.) (Simeon Augustus 80th), Cebastian Bailey, Javed Mohammed, Angus John, Eustace Darius, Desta Francis, Tigana Sparks (Kevon Neaves 46th) (Yellow Card), Bevon Bass, Brent Garcia, Marc Hunte (Kern Peters 60th)

Coach--Jefferson George

Caledonia AIA--Glenroy Samuel, Conrad Smith (capt.) (Yellow Card) (Stephan David 78th minute), Colin Nelson, Cornelius Stewart (Abdallah Phillips 73rd), Keyon Edwards, Kareem Joseph, Walter Moore, Densill Theobald, Kemron Purcell, Nathan Lewis, Sheldon Holder (Trevin Caesar 46th) (Yellow Card)

Coach--Jamaal Shabazz

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/le1H3VLcoms" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/le1H3VLcoms</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7t5ZVRtSFzE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7t5ZVRtSFzE</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rangers mount up for First Citizens semis against Army
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2012, 06:20:53 AM »
Rangers mount up for First Citizens semis against Army
ttproleague.com

“This is our time!” hollered St. Ann’s Rangers veteran utility player Devon Modeste.

Modeste scored the winner against Digicel Pro League leaders North East Stars in a 2-1 quarterfinal win last Friday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium and is very confident that his team can defeat Defence Force in the semifinal round to reach the Final.

Rangers and two-time winner Defence Force will play in semi-final one on Friday 28 September at the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 6pm and at 8pm six-time winner W Connection and defending champion Caledonia AIA will tackle each other in semifinal two.

“With the team we now have, Rangers can reach the Final and win it,” added Modeste confidently.

“It will be a hard game but we’ve done our preparations for them and will make it easy. Our entire team is ready for the match. We are all excited and are doing the right things. It’s big time now, or no time and we are all aware of this. We can’t say when we will reach another semi-final so we have to do our best now.”

Modeste said the team received a boost knowing that they played “the team (North East Stars) on top the League and beat them” in the semifinal round.

If Rangers were to defeat Defence Force and reach the Final of the 2012 First Citizens Cup, it would be only the second Final reached in the club’s history since joining the TT Pro League in 2006.

It was in 2007, under then coach Anthony Streete that Rangers reached the Final of the (Courts) Pro Bowl but lost to W Connection on penalties following a 2-2 draw.

Today the St. Ann’s club is coached by former player Dean Pacheco, who was a member of the team in 2007, and he is equipped with a generally new squad.

Talented goalkeeper Zane Coker, sturdy defender Jamal Jack, Elijah Belgrave, youthful Kadeem Drayton, Christon Thomas, Modeste, experienced Hector Sam, T&T U23 forward Cameron Roget, rookie Andrew Smith, Mikhail Awai and opening goalscorer against North East Stars, Jason Marcano, makes up the nucleus of Pacheco’s squad.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7t5ZVRtSFzE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7t5ZVRtSFzE</a>

Ross Russell say "ah think" about 50 times, wha a f**king loser.....

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2012, 07:19:43 AM »
So, is the name "Drent" a combination of Brent and Dread?  :rotfl:

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Defence Force edges Rangers to First Citizens Cup final
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »
Defence Force edges Rangers to First Citizens Cup final.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Defence Force will play in the first knock out final of the 2012/13 season after a 2-1 win over St Ann’s Rangers this evening in the First Citizens Cup semifinal at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain.

The army/coast guard combination would face the winner of tonight’s meeting between Caribbean champions Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA and runners-up DirecTV W Connection next Friday at the same venue.

Almost certainly, Defence Force coach Ross Russell would need an improved performance next week if he expects to get near the trophy.

The “Teteron Boys” met Rangers, two weeks ago, in the opening Digicel Pro League fixture and the final scoreline was identical. The pattern of play, however, could hardly have been more different.

In a scrappy affair, Rangers created enough chances to have won the match comfortably within the first hour and then enjoyed a numerical advantage for the final 30 minutes as opposing defender Rodell Elcock was ejected for a second yellow card.

Somehow, Rangers contrived to squander them all save a penalty decision and paid the price for this genorosity.

Overrun two weeks ago, the St Ann’s squad was more compact in the First Citizens Cup and would not be stretched by a Defence Force side missing adventurous left back Aklie Edwards. And responsible ball movement saw Rangers create several scoring opportunities too as a bewildered Defence Force team found itself on the ropes.

Hector Sam, who scored a brilliant goal when the two teams last met, might have had another today but for a fine save by army custodian Kevin Graham low to his right in the 13th minute.

Rangers captain Mikhail Awai threatened too with a volley from just outside the opposing penalty box that dipped just over the bar in the 20th minute

Seven minutes later, Graham could only look on and pray as a Sam cross eliminated the Defence Force backline and found Andrew Smith unmarked at the far post. Six yards from an open goalmouth, Smith leaned backwards and cushioned his header. Wide.

Remarkably, Rangers conjured up another sitter in the first half.

Read More

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:11:50 PM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Defence Force edges Rangers to First Citizens Cup final
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2012, 02:51:19 AM »
Shit side Caledonia beat W Connection 1-0.

W Connection really disappointing this year sah.

Ah vex.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Defence Force edges Rangers to First Citizens Cup final
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2012, 07:53:10 AM »
Sam, football is cruel sport. I am honestly not surprised by the score. If you read one of my post about AIA/Marathon, I said that AIA should not have lost the gamebecause they played well. On the other hand Connection came away with a draw when Chivas could have beaten them had they taken all their chances. I like the Connection organization. If every team was like them, I think we football would be heading in the right direction. That is club football I mean. But this Connection team not playing well. The team not fluid. Too many bad passes in the final third. There are issues with their play. I hope the coach fiind out what is or they will not be the toast of the league this year. The season still young.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shabazz cautions Defence Force: We are soldiers too
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
Shabazz cautions Defence Force: We are soldiers too
ttproleague.com

“Each game brings its own situation.”

That’s the viewpoint Caledonia AIA coach Jamaal Shabazz, and rightfully so.

Caledonia, the defending First Citizens Cup champ, reached its second consecutive FCC Final by defeating W Connection 1-0 in semi-final two last Friday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

And would meet two-time champion Defence Force—2-1 semi-final winner against St. Ann’s Rangers—from 8:30pm at the very same Port of Spain venue on Friday 5 October on the Final stage.

“We are very happy that we are in the Final again,” said the Caledonia coach. “…and we look forward to the encounter with Defence Force.”

But for the charismatic Shabazz it’s always a little more than just a football match.

Shabazz’s history against the Defence Force treks the memory back to 1990 when the Caledonia coach, a member of the Jamaat Al Muslimeen, was involved in a staged coup attempt which lasted six days before the group eventually surrendered to the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.

“With Defence Force, it’s since 1990 we battling them,” said Shabazz in his regular dry humor personality. “So it’s always a pleasure to meet them on the football field because off the field we have no chance.

But on the field we are the soldiers of the ghetto. We are the soldiers of the people in Morvant-Laventille, and against Defence Force it’s a pleasure.”

Caledonia notched the semi-final winner in the 89th minute when a determined run by substitute Densil Theobald inside the area and cross was finished off by the boot of another substitute Keyon Edwards for the 1-0 result against Connection.

Caledonia only returned home on Thursday following a 2-1 defeat to Honduran club CD Marathon in the CONCACAF Champions’ League a day earlier, while Connection played to a 2-2 draw against Mexican giants Chivas Guadalajara at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

“I thought we made the right decision to put (Theobald) on the bench with a couple other players who started in the Marathon game,” explained Shabazz. “I thought they all came on, Keyon Edwards Densil Theobald, and made a big difference for us. The discipline and understanding that he (Theobald) showed in knowing that this was a game to come off the bench, I thought that was admirable and I thought he did very well for us tonight.

We were exhausted because we had a long flight from Honduras with difficult games in the Champions’ League and against W Connection it’s always a difficult game.

I think the players from both teams worked very hard. We both came off tough Champions’ League matches. They played Chivas and we played CD Marathon. Good experience and it was shown in the intensity of the game. I thought both teams were a bit tired down to the end, but when W Connection and Caledonia play, it’s always good tactical games …some method in the madness.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2012, 05:19:34 AM »
Bobb stars as Caledonia retains First Citizens Cup.
ttproleague.com.

Caledonia AIA picked up its first trophy of the 2012-2013 season on Friday night by retaining the First Citizens Cup with a 2-1 win over Defence Force in the Final at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Teenaged Guyanese winger Trayon Bobb, who eventually picked up the tournament MVP award, was instrumental in the opening Caledonia item in the 22nd minute before netting what turned out the winner in the 49th minute.

Caledonia, which also won the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield, FA Trophy and Caribbean Club Championship last season, started the brighter of the two sides.

Keyon Edwards managed a tame shot under goalkeeper Kevin Graham before it was cleared away by defender Glynn Franklyn in the 5th minute and five minutes later Bobb forced the Defence Force goalie into action.

But twenty minutes into the match low power voltage caused a number of the stadium lights to go out forcing referee Neil Brizan to pause the match and consult both coaches over continuation. Eventually both teams were back out under the dim lighting.

That's when the real action started.

It wasn't long into the resumption when Bobb cross from the left was directed in goal by the lanky Jamal Gay to hand the Jamaal Shabazz coached outfit a 1-0 advantage.

The Soldiers then leveled the scores 1-1 in the 28th minute with a superb run and strike by Richard Roy snatching his third item of the tournament and later picked up the Most Goals Award with three items.

Roy later struck an effort from distance just wide, when he was picked out by a Russell Jr. pass some 26 yards out.

Bobb had Caledonia back in front just four minutes into the second period receiving a pass inside the left of the area and firing past Graham for a 2-1 score.

Caledonia substitute Nathan Lewis had another one in the back of the net a minute and a half later beating goalkeeper Graham through the legs after controlling a Walter Moore strike across the area, however the item was ruled offside.

The Morvant-Laventille club missed a third item in the 57th minute, which was clearly wasted wide by an unmarked Edwards who headed wide of the post off Lewis' right side cross.

Defence Force, winners of the First Citizens Cup in 2002 & 2009, had an opening to level the scores in the 64th minute when a long ball forward by Roy was controlled brilliantly by Carter between three defenders but when inside the area, the attacker fumbled.

Carter had another opening in the 70th minute, this time hitting into goalkeeper Samuel after he was slipped in a pass by Jorsling to put him one on one with the Caledonia goalie.

Caledonia took full control of the match near the end which was labeled "shooting practice" some supporters.

Lewis, Caledonia's liveliest of the second period, swung an effort wide of the far post in the 73rd minute and two minutes later Densil Theobald was denied by the glove of Graham.

Moments later Theobald stuck a low effort just wide.

Late substitute Ataullah Guerra joined in on the fun against a depleted Defence Force, but it was Lewis who forced Graham into action in the 84th and 90th minutes before the final whistle.

Defence Force 1--2 Caledonia AIA
Richard Roy 28'  ; Jamal Gay 22', Trayon Bobb 49"

Teams

Defence Force--Kevin Graham, Corey Rivers (capt.), Marvin Jones, Glynn Franklyn (Keston Williams 55th), Devin Jordan, Curtis Gonzales (Michael Edwards 75th), Jerwyn Balthazar (Yellow Card), Richard Roy, Kevon Carter, Ross Russell Jr. (Sean Narcis 55th), Devorn Jorsling

Coach--Ross Russell

Caledonia AIA--Glenroy Samuel, Stephan David (capt.) (Yellow Card), Densill Theobald (Yellow Card), Nuru Abdallah Muhammad, Colin Nelson, Walter Moore, Kareem Joseph, Abdallah Phillips (Cornelius Stewart 24th), Trayon Bobb, Keyon Edwards (Conrad Smith 88th), Jamal Gay (Ataullah Guerra 72nd)

Coach--Jamaal Shabazz

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »
Caledonia’s First Citizens Cup wthdrawal
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA made its first significant deposit of the 2012/13 season on Friday night as the “Eastern Stallions” captured the First Citizens Cup at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain after a 2-1 win over Defence Force.
If the outcome was predictable for the Caribbean champions, the game itself fluctuated wildly before Caledonia finally reaped dividends for a fairly steady performance.
It was scrappy at times and nerve racking for Caledonia supporters as the Morvant/Laventille team repeatedly failed to cash in on scoring opportunities. There was a glimmer of hope too for the overrun regiment as Defence Force winger Kevon Carter fluffed two straightforward chances and striker Devorn Jorsling, who played for Caledonia last term, skied a free kick from a promising area.
But the final score was probably fair if one judged from the volume of chances created.
Supporters, many of whom were surely first-timers, must have wondered what to make of it all. One thing it wasn’t, though, was dull.
There were easily 3,000 supporters in the covered stands on Friday night, which is especially promising when one considers that the season is just a month old.
Trinidad Express columnist Fazeer Mohammed noted, in the quarterfinal round, that the Pro League administrative staff did not do enough to make newcomers feel welcomed with information on competing teams in scarce supply.
The League responded by printing leaflets with names and jersey numbers of the two squads, switching on the electronic scoreboard and attaching the team name to its respective bench.
So, the viewing public benefited from constructive criticism by the media and an administration that is mature and secure enough to digest disapproval and react appropriately. How often does one get to say that in Trinidad and Tobago?
A sizeable informed audience, stirred by a well-oiled rhythm section, led to a relatively festive atmosphere at kick off.
And then, just 19 minutes into the contest, the lights dimmed.
Even Murphy was at the Hasely Crawford, it seemed, and he had brought his “Law” with him.
Read More: http://www.wired868.com/2012/10/07/caledonias-first-citizens-cup-withdrawal/

1]; } ?>