April 17, 2024, 06:08:55 PM

Author Topic: First Citizens Cup Thread.  (Read 61073 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the Central FC vs Defence Force Game (18-Oct-13).
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
Central FC has won its first trophy after edging Defence Force 2-1 in tonight's First Citizens Cup Final. Defence Force opened the scoring via a 9th minute goal by Devorn Jorsling. Central answered through Dwight Quintero and Rundell Winchester.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
What FS!! You and your daughter real serious!!! Congrats!!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »
Central FC has won its first trophy after edging Defence Force 2-1 in tonight's First Citizens Cup Final. Defence Force opened the scoring via a 9th minute goal by Devorn Jorsling. Central answered through Dwight Quintero and Rundell Winchester.
:wavetowel: :wavetowel: :party: :cheers:

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »
Congrats Central FC!!! :applause:
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
Congrats Central FS...take a bow FS!
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »
What FS!! You and your daughter real serious!!! Congrats!!
Yuh don know!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2013, 11:01:40 PM »
Some photos here...   Ok, we didn't play nice football. We reacted to Army rather than play our game. I honestly can't remember our goals because I was either too stressed/too drunk/too damn happy. But we won, and that's all that matters tonight. Such a great feeling. 16 months of hard work, but we did it. Maybe Monday we will reflect on what this means, but tonight, guys, I'm just so happy!!
Thank you all for your good wishes.  :beermug:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=611338668909942&set=pcb.611339578909851&type=1&theater
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:10:20 PM by Football supporter »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2013, 11:10:06 PM »
What a goal!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151970888530330

I should elaborate a lttle. Army scored around 13 mins. Quintero equalised  for Central on the cusp of half time. Winchester scored a great goal around 83 mins to clinch it for The Sharks.
Quinny & Winny = unstoppable!! And both under 20!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:04:04 AM by Football supporter »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:56 PM »
Congrats, Congrats!!!

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2013, 11:40:40 PM »
Congrats Central ! responded well to the early Army pressure

Rundell Winchester is quite the athlete.... kid is massive and works so hard , he seems so composed with his running ability and on the ball quite capable.... set up the first goal and scored an absolute beauty to win it, left foot bullet into the V late in the game.... something special in the making

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2013, 11:53:33 PM »
Oh oh. Kicking ass, taking no prisoners.  Congratulations to the entire Central FC football organization. This is a remarkable achievement considering the organization is only a year old. It is amazing that one young gun exits the league only for another young gun to enter to fire the shot heard around the league. Many rivers to cross for bigger and better things await. Keep on climbing.

One.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2013, 11:59:02 PM »
Oh oh. Kicking ass, taking no prisoners.  Congratulations to the entire Central FC football organization. This is a remarkable achievement considering the organization is only a year old. It is amazing that one young gun exits the league only for another young gun to enter to fire the shot heard around the league. Many rivers to cross for bigger and better things await. Keep on climbing.

One.

Thanks bro   :beermug:

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2013, 01:34:07 AM »
Congratulations :)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 First Citizens Cup Thread.
« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2013, 06:46:14 AM »
Terry Fenwick and his team, congrats.

Kevin, big up !!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2013, 07:35:35 AM »
Congratulations Central FC!!! Real happy for Sancho, no one in football is more deserving. What a beauty of a goal by Winchester!

Its good to see Fenwick back in the winner's circle too. I think a national coaching assignment is past due for Terry. The TTFA can't ignore his accomplishments forever.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2013, 07:45:56 AM »
Forza Central FC... very brave performance....
what a frigging winner from Winchester
details later
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tobago love: Winchester leads Central to First Citizens Cup title
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
Tobago love: Winchester leads Central to First Citizens Cup
By Lasana LIBURD (Wired868)

It was about 20 minutes after the final whistle but Central FC striker Rundell Winchester was in no hurry to leave the Hasely Crawford Stadium and the scene of his most impressive triumph to date.

The 19-year-old Tobagonian set up Central’s equalising goal and then scored a superb winner as the “Couva Sharks” edged Defence Force 2-1 in the First Citizens Cup final. In the process, he helped Central secure its first domestic top flight crown after less than a year and a half in existence.

“I just can’t stop smiling,” Winchester told Wired868. “I’m just so happy right now… I want to thank my coach Terry Fenwick, and my teammates; and my mom for bringing me into this world…”

If it sounded like Winchester was accepting an Oscar; but there is a touch of Hollywood about the teenager’s rise from obscurity, which was completed a stone’s throw away from Movie Towne.

A year ago, Winchester was a Stokely Vale player in the Super League and an unknown commodity outside Tobago. This week, he replaced Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones late substitute in an international friendly against 2010 World Cup nation, New Zealand.

And, three days later, Winchester cut himself a slice of history for Central while winning the MVP award in a cup final to boot.

Defence Force coach Ross Russell might have been doubly distressed by the way the First Citizens Cup final unfolded.

Last November, Russell was national under-20 coach when the young Warriors finished dead last in a Caribbean group that included Haiti, Puerto Rico and Curacao. Winchester was not in his squad and, presumably, Russell had never heard of him.

It is farcical that scouting can be such an obvious problem in a country of well under two million inhabitants and in which one can drive from one end of the island to the next within three hours and Tobago is just a 15 minute plane ride away. But that is another issue.

The November 2012 Toyota Classic competition, which was a mixture of Pro League and Super League teams, alerted Central to the likes of Winchester, Darren Mitchell and Omar Charles and Sharks’ managing director Brent Sancho snapped them up in the January transfer window.

Yesterday, Central reaped the benefits although it was harsh on Russell and his soldiers.

“We were apprehensive at the start tonight and Army bossed us,” said Central coach Terry Fenwick. “No one has done that to us so far this season.”

Central whipped Defence Force 3-1 in their previous meeting this season but there was no sign of inferiority by the Pro League defending champion team as the “Teteron Boys” made a roaring start.

Devorn Jorsling did not feature when the two clubs met last month and he did not take long to make his mark last night.

In the sixth minute, he flicked through for winger Kevon Carter who was blocked by the legs of Central and Trinidad and Tobago custodian Jan-Michael Williams.

Three minutes later, Carter found Jorsling in space and the outcome was never in doubt when last season’s top scorer cocked his left boot inside the penalty area.

Jorsling celebrated his early strike with a typically creative celebration as his teammates lined up like bowling pins and the veteran striker rolled the ball to comically knock them all on their backs.

Fenwick changed tactics from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 system, which gave his players more straightforward man to man duties. But still his young team struggled against the direct and incisive soldiers.

In the 37th minute, a dangerous Kerry Joseph cross provoked a ridiculous, blind backheeled attempted clearance by Central defender Akeem Benjamin, who was fortunate to see the ball bounce off Carter and roll out for a goal kick.

Two minutes later, Josimar Belgrave opened the Central defence as casually as if it was an automatic door but Williams denied Carter with a tremendous save with his legs.

And, just as it seemed that Central would be happy to end the half with a one-goal deficit, the Sharks pulled level.

Winchester, now deployed on the left flank, stepped inside and curled a cross into the box where fellow teenager Dwight Quintero rose to force a header past Defence Force keeper Kevin Graham. It was almost the last kick of the first half.

Both teams chose to strengthen defensively in the second half as the versatile Curtis Gonzales and man-mountain Keston Williams were introduced for Defence Force while Central brought on Jamaican midfield sentry Toric Robinson.

But neither team could find any rhythm offensively as the game trudged towards to extra time.

But Winchester had other ideas.

The Central build-up was sharp but not electric. Right back Elton John passed inside to Oliver who, under pressure, stabbed up the left flank where Peltier had swapped places with Winchester.

Peltier stepped in off the wing and played a crisp, low cross-field pass towards Winchester, who was in the inside right channel. And Winchester gave the ball a gentle tap to his left before absolutely hammering it with his left boot; and the sphere flew towards the near post “vee” and into the back of the net off the underside of the crossbar.

Defence Force could not find an answer to that strike.

“That goal meant a lot to me,” said Winchester. “It is the first time I’ve scored a goal in a final; and to score a goal like that!

“And then I only just got a (national) call-up… It is such a great achievement for me where I came from…”

It was Fenwick’s first trophy since 2011, when he led Jabloteh to the TTFF FA Trophy before the San Juan club temporarily withdrew from the top flight due to financial problems.

“The first (trophy) can be a bogey,” said Fenwick. “Now that we have won it, I think we can relax and enjoy our season a bit more. Hopefully we can grow from strength to strength after tonight.”

Winchester was still walking around, grinning from ear to ear and clutching his MVP trophy.

“I will just keep on working hard,” he said. “I know hard work brings success…”

Fenwick credited the Tobagonian for a brilliant and decisive goal. And then he made it clear that the teenager still had a lot to do to satisfy him.

“I thought he was poor for most of the night,” said Fenwick, a former Tottenham captain and England World Cup defender. “He kept losing his footing and giving the ball away… But then he can score goals like that; so you don’t want to take him off.”

About a dozen Tobagonians travelled to Port of Spain to see last night’s final and they cooed proudly about Winchester’ winning goal. Perhaps they were here last Tuesday too when Winchester made his international debut and almost sniffed out a late winner against New Zealand.

At the rate the young Central striker is progressing, Tobago football fans will probably be making themselves comfortable in the Hasely Crawford Stadium for years to come.

(Teams)

Central FC (4-1-3-2): 21.Jan-Michael Williams (GK); 2.Elton John, 24.Akeem Benjamin, 12.Jamal Jack, 3.Keion Goodridge, 10.Marvin Oliver; 11.Darren Mitchell (22.Keon Trim 75), 15.Kaydion Gabriel (6.Toric Robinson 53), 13.Johan Peltier, 9.Dwight Quintero (19.Dwight Pope 87), 17.Rundell Winchester.

Unused substitutes: 25.Javon Sample (GK), 4.Omar Charles, 16.Akil De Freitas, 23.Hector Sam.

Coach: Terry Fenwick

Defence Force (4-4-1-1): 1.Kevin Graham (GK); 13.Marvin Jones, 5.Devin Jordan (8.Curtis Gonzales 46), 6.Rodell Elcock, 21.Aklie Edwards; 23.Kerry Joseph, 14.Cory Rivers (captain) (3.Keston Williams 58), 18.Sean Narcis, 11.Kevon Carter; 10.Josimar Belgrave (26.Richard Roy 77); 9.Devorn Jorsling

Unused substitutes: 25.Sheldon Clarke (GK), 12.Jemel Sebro, 15.Jerwyn Balthazar, 17.Ross Russell Jr.

Coach: Ross Russell

Referee: Neal Brizan

First Citizens Cup final
(October 18)

Central FC 2 (Dwight Quintero 45, Rundell Winchester 85), Defence Force 1 (Devorn Jorsling 9) at Hasely Crawford Stadium

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:05:15 AM by Flex »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2013, 08:59:07 PM »
Just a little video of the fellas enjoying their victory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhQso2tBnvg&feature=youtu.be

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2013, 05:23:55 AM »
Congrats Central FC!!..... :applause: :applause: :beermug:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tobago love: Winchester leads Central to First Citizens Cup title
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2013, 05:38:30 AM »
 ;D ;D :beermug: :beermug:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2013, 05:55:43 AM »
I thought this would have been trims break out season ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tobago love: Winchester leads Central to First Citizens Cup title
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »
Look how Suga smilin!!!!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2013, 07:13:37 AM »
Good point Lasana...

See why I dont like local coach.

Ross Russell fail to pick de best players for de under 20 team and now Winchester came back and haunt him, same with Anton Corneal and Ricky Shakes.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
First Citizens Cup Semifinal: Central FC vs W-Connection
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E6QexqankPE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E6QexqankPE</a>

First Citizens Cup Semifinal: San Juan Jabloteh vs Defence Force
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNLe_kYuyD4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JNLe_kYuyD4</a>

First Citizens Cup Final: Central FC vs Defence Force
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZOpo3m_uQA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oZOpo3m_uQA</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
Good point Lasana...

See why I dont like local coach.

Ross Russell fail to pick de best players for de under 20 team and now Winchester came back and haunt him, same with Anton Corneal and Ricky Shakes.

:timeout: Not defending anyone here, but Lasana full of shit here. This is how I remember it went down & Lasana for all is journalistic genius should know better.
Michael McCormie  :clown: was the coach of the U20, he get the boot for some mad  player abuse, two weeks before the tournament & Russ Russell stepped in as coach.
  :thinking: Now reason would suggest that it was Anton & MCCormie who do the scouting & pick the squad. Russel only play the hand that was dealt.

But nah Lasana playing off people short memory to sensationalize his writing  :shameonyou:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2014 First Citizens Cup Thread.
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2014, 01:53:56 AM »
Central FC starts defence against Point Fortin CC.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Central FC will kick off defence of its First Citizen Cup title, one of two trophies captured in the 2013/2014 season, against Pt Fortin Civic Centre on October 17 in one of four quarterfinal matches.

This was determined when the draw for the nine-team tournament, now in its 12th year of First Citizens sponsorship was made yesterday at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Last year, the “Sharks” (Central FC) are called edged out Defence Force 2-1 in the tournament decider at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

And this year the Couva-based club, yet to play a Pro League match after losing to DirecTV W Connection 1-0 in the Digicel Community Shield, has a great chance to reach a second straight final based on its draw.

Should Central get past Pt Fortin in its quarterfinal, it will then face the winner of the Police and St Ann’s Rangers quarterfinal in the semifinal on Friday October 17 for a spot in the October 31 final.

However, in the other half of the draw its anybody’s guess who will get to the title match with six-time winners W Connection, 2011 and 2012 champions Caledonia AIA, and 2002 and 2009 titlist Defence Force, beaten in three of the last four finals as well all in the fray.

The “Teteron Boys” will first have to get past their qualifier against San Juan Jabloteh next Tuesday at Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya. The winner will have a date against W Connection.

North East Stars, one of three current Pro League clubs never to capture the crown will tackle Caledonia in the other.

Speaking at the launch, Warren Sookdar, First Citizens chief information officer, boasted that it was the twelfth year First Citizens has partnered with the T&T Pro League in producing the tournament and it thanks Dexter Skeene and the Pro League for their efforts and commitment as league administrators.

With regards to First Citizens commitment, Sookdar was quick to note that sponsorship goes beyond giving money and gaining brand awareness.

“The value of sponsorship must lie in the lives that we change and in the growth of the initiative while the footballer, the sponsor and administrator must be unified by the desire to improve the state of football in all areas.”

Reflecting on what the tournament has produced over the years, Sookdar said,”First Citizens was proud of its investment when it looks at players like Shannon Gomez, Carlos Edwards and Densill Theobald, who have come through the First Citizens/BGTT Secondary Schools Football League to represent the national Under-20 team and play on the international scene respectively.

He added, “First Citizens is pleased when players can express their heartfelt gratitude to the Group for seeking their interest at a personal level as they did during the ‘Managing Your Finances” seminar held earlier this year.

Skeene, Chief Executive Officer fo the T&T Pro League was in full praise of the tournament sponsors saying: “First Citizens has led by example in moving to the top of the corporate rankings.

“You have been here from the beginning and continue to understand the importance of the T&T Pro League to the development of football, the nation’s youth and sport industry.

As is customary, First Citizens will also provide incentives to the spectators with its annual “Dash-for-Cash” in which an increased prize of $800 at all quarterfinal and semifinal will be on offer, and $1,500 in the final.

The biggest cooler crew will also again be up for a winners prize as well with groups having the opportunity to win cooler of drinks at the semifinals and final.

First Citizens Cup Fixtures Qualifier:

October 14:

Defence Force vs San Juan Jabloteh, Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya, 6 pm

Quarterfinals:

October 17:

Central FC vs Pt Fortin Civic
Police vs St Ann’s Rangers
Caledonia vs North East Stars
W Connection vs Defence Force/San Juan Jabloteh winner

Semifinals:

October 24:

Central FC/Pt Fortin Civic winner vs Caledonia/North East Stars & Defence Force/Jabloteh winner

Final:

October 31:

RELATED NEWS

Champs Central to face Civic in First Citizens Cup.
T&T Express Reports.

One Pro League football team will have a $100,000 pay day and earn a crystal statue.

At the launch of the 2014 First Citizens Cup yesterday at the VIP Lounge of the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the draw for the competition was announced.

Action will kick off next Tuesday when the Defence Force tackle San Juan Jabloteh in a qualifying match at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

Defending champions Central FC oppose Point Fortin Civic Centre in the quarter-final round of matches on October 17.

Caledonia AIA go up against North East Stars, Police FC challenge St Ann’s Rangers and W Connection will play the winners of the Defence Force /Jabloteh encounter in the other quarter-final matches on October 17.

Last year, Central FC won the First Citizens Cup for the first time when they beat the Defence Force by a 2-1 margin.

Times and venues for the quarter-final round will be announced soon, Pro League CEO Dexter Skeene said
At yesterday’s launch, it was revealed that the competition’s winners  will pocket $100,000, while the beaten finalists will win $20,000, all part of a  First Citizens’ sponsorship package.

Speaking at  the launch, Warren Sookdhar, Chief Information Officer at First  Citizens, confirmed the financial organisation’s continued commitment to the competition.

“The value of sponsorship must lie in the lives that we change and in the growth of the initiative. The footballer, administrator and the sponsor must be unified by their desire to improve the state of football in all areas,” Sookdhar said, while urging competitors to play fair but fierce.

Skeene said First Citizens’ 12-year relationship was confirmation of the Bank’s commitment to the event.

FIRST CITIZENS CUP FIXTURES:

Quarter-finals

(A) Centra FC v Point Fortin Civic Centre
(B) Caledonia AIA v North East Stars
(C) Police FC v St Ann’s Rangers
(D) W Connection v Defence Force/San Juan Jabloteh

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:02:19 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 First Citizens Cup Thread.
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2014, 07:10:21 AM »

And this year the Couva-based club, yet to play a Pro League match after losing to DirecTV W Connection 1-0 in the Digicel Community Shield, has a great chance to reach a second straight final based on its draw.

??? ??? ??? Smh

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 First Citizens Cup Thread.
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2014, 07:52:25 AM »
I

??? ??? ??? Smh
I guess the 7-0 victory over Rangers was kinda forgettable lol

1]; } ?>