April 24, 2024, 09:56:35 PM

Author Topic: Xavier dropped; Enter Lendl Simmons  (Read 3650 times)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Xavier dropped; Enter Lendl Simmons
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:02:01 AM »
West Indies call on Simmons

Young batsman Marshall pays the price for his duck

Last updated: 9th February 2009

Simmons: Set for debut?

Xavier Marshall has been dropped from the West Indies squad for the second Test against England on Friday.

The 22-year-old batsman managed only a two-ball duck in Jamaica as the hosts coasted to an innings and 23 run victory.

Prolific domestic performers Ryan Hinds and Lendl Simmons have therefore been drafted in ahead of the match in Antigua.

Simmons - the nephew of former West Indies batsman Phil Simmons - has yet to make his Test debut, but his double century for West Indies A against England seems to have given him the edge.

Left-hander Hinds at least has some experience in the Test match arena, though, and his 585 runs in seven innings for Barbados at an average of 83.55 make him an attractive prospect.

The 27-year-old's useful left-arm spin has also put him among the Caribbean competition's leading wicket-takers.

Opener Dale Richards and off-spinner Amit Jaggernauth have both been omitted, meanwhile, after being part of the squad at Sabina Park.

West Indies squad: Chris Gayle (captain), Denesh Ramdin, Devon Smith, Lendl Simmons, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Ryan Hinds, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Brendan Nash, Jerome Taylor, Sulieman Benn, Daren Powell, Fidel Edwards, Lionel Baker.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12123_4906755,00.html

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Xavier dropped; Enter Lendl Simmons
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:26:44 AM »

Hmmm Simmons or Hinds in for Marshall, a hard choice.
But. Hinds could bowl his tweakers or Simmons his gentle hit me if you can stuff, then Simmons can also keep.
So I guess the selectors have a bit of a problem.
On the flat Antigua track if either man get pick they have an opportunity to make big runs , if I was a selector I would say Hinds have the slight advantage.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »
Unless they decide to drop Devon Smith from the starting line up too then both will play!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »
Unless they decide to drop Devon Smith from the starting line up too then both will play!
I'd give Devon Smith another chance. Either R. Hinds or Simmons would be ok with me.

With R. Hinds our entire top and middle order would be left-handed bar Sarwan however. This may be a good thing to neutralize Monty's left arm off-spin but in general, such a lineup would be too lefty-heavy.

Hinds bowls some good left-arm off spin which would be useful but since Benn bowls the same thing it may be redundant. Simmons bowls some useful right-arm medium pace - I don't know if it's up to Test standards though.

Both players bring something to the table and hopefully whichever one gets selected, he will perform with the bat.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:36:46 PM »
All yuh good oui how much chance he go get?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:45:24 PM »
drop smith, play simmons and hinds :beermug:

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:28:38 AM »
Well they recalled him and I can't justify recalling someone for just 1 innings. That just don't make sense to me. If you're recalling a player you can't tell him you have 1 innings to prove yourself.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:11:17 AM »
sorry man Devon smith ran out of chances...imo
just like Xavier - we need to keep on winning and to do that we have to pick the men
who will give us the best chances- I would like to give Simmons a go, but I feel the selectors more
likely to give Hinds a go...
as long as we win!
 ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »
Well they recalled him and I can't justify recalling someone for just 1 innings. That just don't make sense to me. If you're recalling a player you can't tell him you have 1 innings to prove yourself.

D mistake was 2 recall him so recover from d mistake and doh play him.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 07:32:41 AM »
I'm not sure it was a mistake to recall him though. I wouldn't necessarily have selected him, but he has international experience (even though he's not got good numbers) and was showing some early form in the regionals (which doesn't say much given the standard). He was unfortunate not to see the ball that Flintoff bowled to get him out and as a result he's failed yet again and that is the part to note. He did fail.

To drop 2 players from a team that won emphatically though doesn't seem wise. Definitely Marshall should go because in addition to his numbers he just doesn't look comfortable in the middle. At least Smith looks like he could be an international cricketer before he fails. At the end of the day we have the easy decision to make because we can never be proven wrong. We have no pressure and our choice has no consequence to Windies cricket.

If I had it to do though I'd drop just Marchall and bring in the more experienced Hinds. It's a difficult choice though because you are battling "new blood" versus "old failure" added to that the mediocre level of the regional competition always leaves you sceptical as to how good the performance really was.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:27:30 PM »
D 2 players what did they contribute. D not changin a winnin side is = a rabbit foot in yuh back pocket. 

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 07:44:26 AM »
If team performance can be summed up simply by what each individual contributes then the Windies would not have won that match so comfortably, nor would many of the dominant Aussie performances have been so convincing. Team dynamics, rhythm, harmony, etc. all play a part. Why not drop Chanderpaul then? He didn't contribute much with the bat and dropped a catch.

The more changes you make to the team coming off of their performance the more you can affect the team dynamics and chemistry. I am not saying that they will fall apart if both Smith and Marshall are dropped, but conventionally selectors try not to make too many changes after a strong team performance. Marshall for sure because his failures have been more recent and potentially harmful for the team.

If they drop Smith I don't see it as a disaster or as unfair. I just don't think that they should or that they would coming off of the win.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »
If team performance can be summed up simply by what each individual contributes then the Windies would not have won that match so comfortably, nor would many of the dominant Aussie performances have been so convincing. Team dynamics, rhythm, harmony, etc. all play a part. Why not drop Chanderpaul then? He didn't contribute much with the bat and dropped a catch.

The more changes you make to the team coming off of their performance the more you can affect the team dynamics and chemistry. I am not saying that they will fall apart if both Smith and Marshall are dropped, but conventionally selectors try not to make too many changes after a strong team performance. Marshall for sure because his failures have been more recent and potentially harmful for the team.

If they drop Smith I don't see it as a disaster or as unfair. I just don't think that they should or that they would coming off of the win.

I don't think team harmony is a big enough reason to keep a winning side the same. How exactly Devon Smith and Xavier Marshall contributed to team harmony and rhythm? Did they cheer loudly from their fielding positions? Did they celebrate extra when we took a wicket? The same arguments are made about Ganga - his leadership presence, etc. etc., but are all voided when he doesn't score runs consistently.

The "don't a change a winning side" formula to me, especially in a game like cricket where individual performances are the most quantifiable criterion for selection, just doesn't hold water.

I already said I don't believe Smith should be dropped after just 1 innings to prove himself on this recall. As for not dropping Chanderpaul, no one would ever drop Chanderpaul after 1 bad test - but the reason is NOT because of team chemistry and harmony.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »
I don't think team harmony is a big enough reason to keep a winning side the same. How exactly Devon Smith and Xavier Marshall contributed to team harmony and rhythm? Did they cheer loudly from their fielding positions? Did they celebrate extra when we took a wicket? The same arguments are made about Ganga - his leadership presence, etc. etc., but are all voided when he doesn't score runs consistently.

The "don't a change a winning side" formula to me, especially in a game like cricket where individual performances are the most quantifiable criterion for selection, just doesn't hold water.

I already said I don't believe Smith should be dropped after just 1 innings to prove himself on this recall. As for not dropping Chanderpaul, no one would ever drop Chanderpaul after 1 bad test - but the reason is NOT because of team chemistry and harmony.

Team harmony doesn't start or end on the cricket pitch. Unless you've spent time with the team you cannot know what these guys do or do not contribute in that regard. Besides, team harmony is more than just clapping or encouraging from second slip. Does Gayle do that? Does Chanders? How come you not mentioning that when talking about harmony?

If changing team composition had no effect on team performance why don't we see more of it when teams are winning? I was not implying that players should be kept in the team when they aren't performing just because it affects chemistry, hence why Marshall is free to go in my opinion. To ignore the importance of it though...?

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »

Team harmony doesn't start or end on the cricket pitch. Unless you've spent time with the team you cannot know what these guys do or do not contribute in that regard. Besides, team harmony is more than just clapping or encouraging from second slip. Does Gayle do that? Does Chanders? How come you not mentioning that when talking about harmony?

If changing team composition had no effect on team performance why don't we see more of it when teams are winning? I was not implying that players should be kept in the team when they aren't performing just because it affects chemistry, hence why Marshall is free to go in my opinion. To ignore the importance of it though...?

i think i misunderstood your earlier post. i just re-read it and got your point. i appreciate the intelligent response. sorry if i came off as abrasive

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
Nah, no problem. I don't mind heated debates once we keep it respectful, which I think you did. We go be cheering them on from tomorrow regardless of who gets selected anyway. Cheers.  :beermug:

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 10:23:47 PM »

Trinidad and Tobago selector Claude Phillip has high hopes for Lendl Simmons, who he described as "a good selection" on the West Indies squad for the second Test against England in Antigua.

Phillip, a former national player, said he always had faith in the right handed Simmons, who he insisted has lifted his game this season and has been able to concentrate a lot more out in the middle.

"Simmons did surprise me a lot in terms of his concentration this season. I knew he had the ability and the talent, but his problem was being able to concentrate for long periods and to bat for almost two days is a great credit to him," said Phillip, referring to his knock for West Indies "A" against England in St Kitts last month.

Simmons scored a career-best 282 against the English in a tour match and that has given the 24-year-old a lot of confidence.

Phillip, although happy with the eventual selection of Simmons, was "disappointed" in the West Indies selectors who named the squad for the First Test against England in Jamaica before the tour match had even bowled off. But he insisted "that had been the policy of the West Indies selectors in the past so it is not different for the present and, as the saying goes, better late than never".

Phillip was also critical of Xavier Marshall, who was dropped from the First Test team, saying: "If he can't open he should not be in the West Indies team because there are too many middle order batsmen around to be persisting with him because he is not a good player of spin bowling and Simmons, if he does not open, could get that spot in place of Marshall."

On the repercussions of Simmons' selection on the regional squad, Phillip noted: "It will be a big blow for us...T&T."

Simmons has been one of the key players in the national squad this season but his absence, Phillip said, "will leave room for someone else to come in," hinting at the possible inclusion of Imran Khan for the next match, against the Leeward Islands, which also bowls off on Friday, at UWI's Sir Frank Worrell Memorial Ground.

"He (Khan) has been doing well this season and he could find himself in the final XI for the next game and this is what life is all about-you wait for the opportunity and when you get it what you have to do is grab it with both hands and put pressure on the selectors as to who to leave out for the next game.

"He (Simmons) has nothing to lose if he finds himself in the final West Indies XI, he just has to go out there and perform."

Of the other players who will be missing for T&T's next match, Phillip said Darren Bravo should be back in the fray in the next week or two and Ravi Rampaul has gotten the all clear to return to training with the team, but whether or not he will be match ready will be a different thing.

Offline rumblers17

• New Warrior
  • now thats a belt!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 06:08:39 AM »

Drop Marshall and keep him as a sub, the man could bat i don't think anybody could deny that. Keep him in the mix show him he still has a chance, let him work on his batting and help him regain his confidence.
The most important thing though is to maintain a high level of competition to earn a place in the starting 11, if they don't WI cricket will suffer because the team would be full of talented players of sometime-ish performances with big egos who dont work on their game cause they dont have to worry about their place on d squad... for that matter Ramdin better play this series otherwise they should let Baugh have a next go at it.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 06:54:05 AM »

Drop Marshall and keep him as a sub, the man could bat i don't think anybody could deny that. Keep him in the mix show him he still has a chance, let him work on his batting and help him regain his confidence.
The most important thing though is to maintain a high level of competition to earn a place in the starting 11, if they don't WI cricket will suffer because the team would be full of talented players of sometime-ish performances with big egos who dont work on their game cause they dont have to worry about their place on d squad... for that matter Ramdin better play this series otherwise they should let Baugh have a next go at it.

Great post!

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 07:40:38 AM »

I would only keep him on the squad if Jamaica is on a bye this weekend. Otherwise he'll get better if he's playing. Let him get a chance to score some runs regionally and build a little confidence. Getting dropped doesn't mean he won't be up for selection again if he scores runs so give him the opportunity to do so.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
Yeah, he is back on Jam team for the coming match.

1]; } ?>