March 29, 2024, 07:51:18 AM

Author Topic: Dennis Lawrence prepares for Trinidad’s World Cup qualifier  (Read 779 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dennis Lawrence prepares for Trinidad’s World Cup qualifier
« on: February 11, 2009, 07:10:32 AM »
Dennis Lawrence prepares for Trinidad’s World Cup qualifier
By Peter Morse (Crewe Chronicle)

FROM El Salvador to Leyton Orient in four days.

That is the world of contrast inhabited by Crewe Alex’s loan defender Dennis Lawrence who is now more than 5,000 miles away from the Railwaymen’s relegation battle.

He is preparing for Trinidad and Tobago’s vital World Cup qualifying clash in San Salvador today.

Many would relish the chance of escaping the pressure of a battle against the drop in freezing conditions.

But it is indicative of the 6ft 7ins stopper’s commitment to the Alex cause that he was disappointed at the prospect of missing last night’s clash with Bristol Rovers.

Lawrence will jet back to the UK on Friday for the trip to Leyton Orient.

Speaking before he flew out to North America on Sunday the 34-year-old said: “There was a bit of disappointment as well as joy at being called up for the national team. I didn’t even realise the Bristol game had been arranged for that date.

“But I have to deal with what is ahead of me. I just enjoy playing football whether it is for Trinidad or Crewe. I am always looking forward to the challenge.”

Former Wrexham man Lawrence, who is on loan to Crewe from Swansea until the end of the season, is in line to win his 75th cap in the CONCACAF World Cup qualification second stage group one clash.

He joins fellow British-based players Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards, Kenwyne Jones, Clayton Ince, Chris Birchall, Stern John and Silvio Spann in the squad.

Lawrence said they will be facing a hostile atmosphere in the Estadio Cuscatlan in San Salvador for the first of 10 group games.

He said: “It is a massive game for us in terms of qualification for South Africa. It gives us the opportunity to get off to a positive start.

“It is not going to be easy because it is an away game but we want three points.

“We have played these teams many times so we know what to expect.

“The atmosphere will be very hostile in El Salavdor as it always is and we have to prepare right for that.”

Of course the aim for Trinidad is to make it to a second consecutive World Cup Finals. Lawrence said everything is being done to make sure they are at South Africa next year.

But in the meantime Lawrence aims to help guide Crewe to League One safety.

He has worn the captain’s armband on several occasions of late and he is more than happy to shoulder that responsibility.

He added: “Being asked to be captain of Crewe is an honour. I try to do my job with pride and I am happy to take responsibility. I want to be a presence around the place.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>