April 29, 2024, 08:15:45 AM

Author Topic: American completes takeover of Sunderland  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
American completes takeover of Sunderland
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:17:47 AM »
Tycoon secures Sunderland buyout

United States businessman Ellis Short has taken total control of Sunderland.

Short has increased his 30% majority stake to 100% and bought out the Niall Quinn consortium which had taken over the Black Cats in 2006.

Quinn, who will continue as chairman, told the Sunderland website: "This is fantastic news for the club."

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: American completes takeover of Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:04:39 AM »
wheys... team gone from bad to worse juss like dat oui  ;)
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
AH hope he learns the culture of owning a football team.  Give yuh manager space to run the team, and don't try to be clocking man time.   ;)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:47:53 AM »
AH hope he learns the culture of owning a football team.  Give yuh manager space to run the team, and don't try to be clocking man time.   ;)

Only time will tell, wonder if Quinn was taking cues from him when he force RK out.  If he was then that is a sign of the micromanagement to come.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
Texan promises to bolster Sunderland's roster

Sunderland’s new American owner promised Thursday to provide funds to strengthen the squad and avoid another battle against relegation from the Premier League.

While Dallas businessman Ellis Short said he expects a top-half finish next season, he was advised by club chairman Niall Quinn “not to promise too much.”

Short, who will assume 100 percent control of Sunderland, provided his initial investment early last season after becoming a majority shareholder.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:03:44 PM »

Only time will tell

http://www.safc.com/news/ellis-short-q-amp-a.html?

Ellis Short Q&A

It's been a historic weekend - how do you feel about the match you saw and about your own involvement in the Club?

ES: Probably like every other good Sunderland Football Club fan, I'm ecstatic and if I had to pick one word it would be relieved. Relief that two months of fear and nervousness is over. This club has a lot of reasons to stay up, we've got a lot of good plans for the future and relegation would have been horrible, so I'm relieved and happy.

You speak like a real football fan and that the game is important to you, so why did you become involved in football - and why Sunderland Football Club?

ES: Well I've been a sports fan all my life, I live in the UK and have done for some years now. Football is the biggest sport in the world and the Premier League is by far the best league in the world, so it's hard to live here and not get excited by it.

I was a fan of the game but didn't really have an idea to invest until I met Niall and there was a lot about Sunderland that interested me. It's a big, proper football club with the best fans in the league, both home and away, with one of the best stadiums in the league and one of the best training facilities in football. It's a very well run club, the scouting organisation and the youth development program are in place, so it's got all the pieces in place to be a long term successful, really powerful club.

Niall's passion was evident, his story about how this wonderful club had so much more to achieve interested me, so I decided to become involved to hopefully take all these ingredients the club has and help it along to become a little more successful.

How involved with the Club to you intend to be and what do you think you can bring to Sunderland?

ES: Niall runs the club. Niall is a very smart footballer, very smart about the Premier League and is a wonderful Chairman of the club who knows more about football than I ever will, so I will be in the background and Niall will be running the show.

I'll be involved in things like finance. With me coming in you get all of these other good ingredients that are already in place at the club and can add to that a streamlined decision making process, a streamlined Board and with some financial ability to make some moves - and we think that is the missing piece that this club has needed.

Looking a few years down the line, what would success at Sunderland be to you?

ES: Well Niall told me not to answer that and not to promise too much, but I'll tell you what I think. I became involved late last summer and our only real goal this year was not to get relegated, and with the money we spent last summer we probably shouldn't have come as close as we did, but we have achieved our goal.

What we want to do is take this good club and continue to improve it; we'll do what we need to do this summer to get this team into a place where we can try to finish in the top 10 next year. I don't ever want to go through a relegation battle again and I don't want the fans to have to go through it, I don't want Niall to have to go through it, so what we will genuinely be trying to do with the things that Niall does this summer is to be able to finish in the top 10. And in the longer term we just want to continue to improve and always run things well. I don't want to promise things and not be able to deliver but that's genuinely what we are going to try and do.

You have already invested a substantial amount of money in the club so you know a football club can be a very expensive business - does that worry you at all?

ES: Like any other business, it is worrisome if you don't handle it correctly. As I said, it's a very big club with a lot of fans, a big stadium, and lot of revenue - and when you are in a position where we are where you are trying to improve it, it takes money. But if that money is invested wisely and the personnel decisions that you make are good ones, then I'm not worried at all and I fully expect that Niall will be able to make good personnel decisions going forward.

So when Sunderland are playing, what's it like in the Short household - is there are real feeling of anticipation about games?

ES: This season it wasn't as much fun as I'd have liked it to have been for obvious reasons. It's very tense - if I'm travelling I try and spend the morning trying to make sure I am going to be able to see it - and if I can't, I try to follow it through the Sunderland website. Then of course, it's tense during the game, as it is for all supporters - and if we lose it's terrible because I can't watch the news, I can't read the newspapers, I just don't want to have to hear about it anymore but if we win it's fantastic and if play well and come away with a draw I'm happy as well.

Any final thought or anything you'd like to say to the fans?

ES: Only thank you for the support, as I've said before the supporters here at Sunderland are fantastic. They're great supporters and they deserve not to go through this again and we'll do our very best to deliver a good season to them next season.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:11:08 AM »
good...hope it works out
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>