April 19, 2024, 07:46:21 AM

Author Topic: Yorke allows friendship to cost Warriors win.  (Read 18731 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Yorke allows friendship to cost Warriors win.
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:38:22 AM »
By: Andre Baptiste (T&T Guardian).

Friendship cost T&T big time on Wednesday night when team captain Dwight Yorke defied team instructions and allowed his friend Stern John to take a penalty, which turned out to be the defining moment in the game which ended in a 2-2 draw. With T&T ahead 2-0 and a chance of putting the game beyond the reach of El Salvador, John kicked the ball high overbar.

It was a pathetic kick by the T&T striker and not only sent loud noises of dissatisfaction all over T&T, but also changed the direction of the game. Coach Francisco Maturana has told the team that Yorke must take all penalties. Yorke confessed afterwards that it was all his fault, as John asked him to take the penalty to gain confidence. When he (Dwight) hesitated, John asked him if he doubted that he could score. John convinced the captain that he would easily score.

It was not to be. Yorke blames himself for what happened as El Salvador scored with the last kick of the game to earn a point in the important World Cup qualifier. In the end, the grim faces of Yorke and Russell Latapy told the story. As for John, he cut a pathetic figure both in the hotel and at the airport. It was as if no one wanted to talk to him. Why did Yorke put friendship in front of country will be a question on the minds of everyone throughout this World Cup campaign. It is well known that Yorke, John and Latapy are friends. They have been playing together for so long, that it is expected they will always want to help each other.

But it cost T&T two vital away points. In the future, Yorke, despite his experience must listen to instructions. The road has now become that bit much more rough due to a stupid and costly error. Country must come first. We are all sad now but maybe on March 28, things will be different. Perhaps as well the words of Sepp Blatter, Fifa President to Austin Jack Warner are instructive. “This was inconceivable.”
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:42:58 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke allows friendship to cost Warriors win.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:50:59 AM »
listen...we taking this friendship ting too far....
look...yorke did not give stern de penalty cause is he friend..so if lets say if spann is he friend too and he say spann??..yuh wha one o wha ??...i am sure it was not like that

it had more to do with getting our leading scorer to get a goal and get some confidence going for the campaign..
why??...because yorke knows how important stern is to tnt...unlike some of us here...
allyuh feel is only KJ  KJ  KJ KJ..well think again...a firing stern is what tnt needs...and i think thaT was the rationale behind yorke's decision...
still i think yorke should have taken it...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:57:28 AM »
Big magician- I agree with you. With a two goals lead I can understand Yorke giving Stern the opportunity to get on the score sheet. I believe Stern will be motivated to score against Honduras and I will start him with KJ in that match.

Offline goalmember

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »
We lost that game in the last 15 - 20 mins.  It wasn't Stern's miss that cost us the game; it was the fatigue and we did not properly protect the ball and our lead.  We had a 2 goal lead and we let it slip away!!!  It is possible that Yorke could have taken the penalty and missed, but the fact remains that we had a 2 goal lead and we allowed it to slip away.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:26:21 AM »

...it cost T&T two vital away points.
Andre too with dis dotish simplistic analysis? Stern miss, so de draw is his fault? If he did score de penalty but miss five more and dey come back and draw 3-3, is still his fault?

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:27:30 AM »
look...yorke did not give stern de penalty cause is he friend..so if lets say if spann is he friend too and he say spann??..yuh wha one o wha ??...i am sure it was not like that

it had more to do with getting our leading scorer to get a goal and get some confidence going for the campaign..
why??...because yorke knows how important stern is to tnt...unlike some of us here...
allyuh feel is only KJ  KJ  KJ KJ..well think again...a firing stern is what tnt needs...and i think thaT was the rationale behind yorke's decision...

I think that is the point. Yes men talking with a lot of emotion here, but that too is to be expected. We lost two points instead of gaining one... that is the perspective most of us here are living with. That being said, is it that we wanted to build Stern's confidence for down the road, or see out the three points at that time?

Stern played well, and continues to serve well, but let's face it, if he asked to take the penalty, then in my mind that shows a breakdown of the game plan. We know who takes the penalties on the team, stick to the game plan and let's go home knowing we did everything to earn three points.

But, we can only deal with the here and now. At that time Dwight should have done so, and now as the result of his bad decision, we and everyone else have to live with it and move on to the next challenge.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:28:37 AM »
Big magician- I agree with you. With a two goals lead I can understand Yorke giving Stern the opportunity to get on the score sheet. I believe Stern will be motivated to score against Honduras and I will start him with KJ in that match.

So if Stern scored it would have boosted his confidence and we'd be better off for it in the next game
And if he miss he will be motivated to score in the next game

Sounds like a win-win situation to me...a no-brainer then to let Stern take it.  Don't know why people vex then

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 06:43:31 AM »

I think that is the point. Yes men talking with a lot of emotion here, but that too is to be expected. We lost two points instead of gaining one... that is the perspective most of us here are living with. That being said, is it that we wanted to build Stern's confidence for down the road, or see out the three points at that time?

Stern played well, and continues to serve well, but let's face it, if he asked to take the penalty, then in my mind that shows a breakdown of the game plan. We know who takes the penalties on the team, stick to the game plan and let's go home knowing we did everything to earn three points.

But, we can only deal with the here and now. At that time Dwight should have done so, and now as the result of his bad decision, we and everyone else have to live with it and move on to the next challenge.

well said bredda....not to cry him down (too much) for asking to take it eh....but oh geez man score ah goal from open play if yuh so want to score nah.
He should care bout the team and he bredren (Dwight) to not put him in dat situation (if dais how it went down.)

I have ah thing bout penalties, anytime it have any kinda hesitation or dicussion (or anything other than the designated taker just taking he ball and placing it on the spot), it does jumbie the penalty...and sure enough dais what happen.
Unbe-friggin-lievable!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:46:08 AM by Fyzoman »
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:35 AM »
Friendship cost T&T big time on Wednesday night when team captain Dwight Yorke defied team instructions and allowed his friend Stern John to take a penalty, which turned out to be the defining moment in the game which ended in a 2-2 draw. With T&T ahead 2-0 and a chance of putting the game beyond the reach of El Salvador, John kicked the ball high overbar.

Whoever wrote this article is not being realistic. Isnt Stern John T&T's leading all-time goal scorer? Isnt he a senior member of the team? He has all right to ask that he take the penalty, and Yorke had all right to grant him his wish.

If you ask me, its not the penalty miss that cost you the game, its the shoddy defending on the free kicks that ES scored...especially the first one.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 07:09:27 AM »
All manner of foolishness ...

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 07:16:45 AM »
If your coach gave you instruction, you follow. The coach should also have change the formation to a 4x5x1 to crowd the middlefield. Slowdown the El Salvadorian should have been our main focus in the last 15 minutes.
Import a Backline, quick.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 07:20:34 AM »
It's a game and these things do happen but lets face it no one man should be blamed for losing any game,it's a team effort,we always trying to point fingers at individuals when things go wrong.

What i want to say though is this,the person i feel for is the Coach because when a Coach gives instructions and players go out there and do their own thing he has to take the blame,the same way if they successful he takes the praise,these are things we never know when a Coach tells players to do certain things.

This have happened with all Coaches we have,we have players who feels they know a little more than the Coach,Gally had problems with Nakhid and them and others too,it's mostly with foreign based,it's the reason our local Coaches can't do well because they don't get that respect,who feels Latapy is our answer have something else coming,the thing is he is everybody friend even the public which makes it very difficult for him.

Remember this same thing happened with the Captain armband,i'm sure a lot more goes that we don't hear about,it's something that's been going on in our Football even before i played,the who better than who and foreign based vs locals etc etc

I don't think Stern should be put down and made a scapegoat for the results we got because a lot of you don't know what it takes to represent your country and the pressures that come with,i remember always being nervous first 5/10 mins in a game,i never told anybody,some players use preys all kind of things to help them,Stern will be alright give the guy a chance he is human.

Yorke just did what he had to do it's his decision.    

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 07:23:25 AM »
Whatever...

Who knows? Yorke might have missed as well- can't dwell on it.  PK misses are part of the game.  We were 2-0 up and should have been able to keep that lead.  Stern is the unfortunate scapegoat for the much bigger problem in our team- a dubious coach and a lack of overall quality. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 07:26:45 AM »

...it cost T&T two vital away points.
Andre too with dis dotish simplistic analysis? Stern miss, so de draw is his fault? If he did score de penalty but miss five more and dey come back and draw 3-3, is still his fault?
Me eint hate the man now or nothing but........that miss bring the crowd back into it ,and give the Salvadorians a huge lift and swing the momentum against us . Had he scored ,that would hav been the death blow ,and more than likely kept tails between there legs.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 07:28:29 AM »

boss ah penalty eh no easy situation to deal with, plenty things does be weighin on yuh mind, especially when u not really firing on all cylinders and yuh track record with set pieces not all dat sparkling, come on man, even over d tv u could see the body language of d man, it was pure uncertainty, they did the same ting against guatemala in '05 it didn't work, but ent he get d goals he needed after dat. we does talk about professionalism and having a proper plan and allyuh want to cover for men dat break d plan because is u favorite players.......boss it eh have no 'I' in team, lets say the game plan stayed d same and dwight may have scored, dont u think that the mode of the game might have changed enough to give Stern the goals he needed...............If u have a plan stick to d plan, it dere for a reason.

but having said all dat d tone of dat article was harsh and unnecessary..........but it easy to get emotional about events given d situation
I pity the fool....

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 07:29:24 AM »
Whatever...

Who knows? Yorke might have missed as well- can't dwell on it.  PK misses are part of the game.  We were 2-0 up and should have been able to keep that lead.  Stern is the unfortunate scapegoat for the much bigger problem in our team- a dubious coach and a lack of overall quality. 

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 07:37:13 AM »
It's a game and these things do happen but lets face it no one man should be blamed for losing any game,it's a team effort,we always trying to point fingers at individuals when things go wrong.

What i want to say though is this,the person i feel for is the Coach because when a Coach gives instructions and players go out there and do their own thing he has to take the blame,the same way if they successful he takes the praise,these are things we never know when a Coach tells players to do certain things.

This have happened with all Coaches we have,we have players who feels they know a little more than the Coach,Gally had problems with Nakhid and them and others too,it's mostly with foreign based,it's the reason our local Coaches can't do well because they don't get that respect,who feels Latapy is our answer have something else coming,the thing is he is everybody friend even the public which makes it very difficult for him.

Remember this same thing happened with the Captain armband,i'm sure a lot more goes that we don't hear about,it's something that's been going on in our Football even before i played,the who better than who and foreign based vs locals etc etc

I don't think Stern should be put down and made a scapegoat for the results we got because a lot of you don't know what it takes to represent your country and the pressures that come with,i remember always being nervous first 5/10 mins in a game,i never told anybody,some players use preys all kind of things to help them,Stern will be alright give the guy a chance he is human.

That resonated with me based on some of my own experiences in my sport. Nuff respect for that.

Unfortunate scapegoat nature of spectators. It is always someone to blame. Sport is such a funny thing though and sometimes things just happen... no blame no shame. Hopefully we can move on sooner rather than later and start thinking about the next match on the schedule.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 07:42:35 AM »
look Yorke have to take all penalty kicks talk done , what he did was wrong , doh butter it up. if Yorke had miss i could of stomach that.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »
This is rank nonsense.

What..someone looked into a crystal ball and knows for a fact Yorke would have scored that penalty just because he scored one earlier? steeups. Yorke has missed more than his share of penalties for T&T (Gold Cup against Mexico, friendly against US in the Hasely crawford come to mind) and he could very well have missed the penalty that Stern did. It's part of the game. Writing as if the penalty was sure to go in cuz Yorke was taking it is crap.

This friend thing is also bs. Is not like Yorke call a breds from in the stands to take the kick. Is Stern we torking about. A professional footballer and is very capable of taking a penalty for T&T.

The team was winning 2-0 when Stern miss. Playing like shit and collecking 2 goals in the last 9 minutes is why we didn't get the 3 points. The penalty miss shoulda just be a side note if this team was anywhere near decent on the night. Making Stern the scapegoat for this is nuts. And it especially sad since he was one of the better players on the night.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:54:31 AM by Filho »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 07:51:32 AM »
So if Yorke not on the field e.g. the next game, who is the next designated penalty kicker?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 08:02:29 AM »
So if Yorke not on the field e.g. the next game, who is the next designated penalty kicker?

NOT STERN JOHN!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »

NOT STERN JOHN!

lol  :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 08:33:27 AM »

Latas will be on the field if Yorke not there.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
The whole blaming Stern for the loss is pure madness. Just as it is pure madness to suggest that some system of 4-5-1 would have made a difference and given us victory. systems of play do not win games, regardless of system, players still have to defend, attack and be concentrated in the defending & transition. Why no one blaming the loss on the foul for the freekick?
Stern missed yes, that is the nature of football, but we was still 2-0 up. The fact is a combination of things caused the squad to give up a 2-0 lead.  
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »
To be honest I thought Stern was our designated penalty taker before Yorke sloteed in the first one.
Didn;t he kick the penalty against Mexico int he stadium a few yrs ago?
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 09:05:26 AM »

As for John, he cut a pathetic figure both in the hotel and at the airport. It was as if no one wanted to talk to him.

I wouldn't talk to him neither, matter of fact nobody should ever talk to him. As an act of contrition he should just stop talking. And as I read this article I realise is not Stern fault we lorse the game, is Dwight fault for giving in to the whims of he hoes running patna. And with the cool, calm collective way Dwight socre the 1st penalty, I hardly doubt he would have missed the 2nd and who say different jes trying to find a silver lining in ah dark cloud ah sh!t.

It come like yuh chain up ah padna to go some out ah timing place to check ah gyal and ah man break the major road and bounce all yuh c&*t. Is not your fault the car bounce but he go still blame yuh cause yuh chain him up and that is yuh padna.

If and when Trinidad get a penalty, Stern should jes walk to the center circle and wait for the touch before he blight infect the pk taker.

FAIL FAL FAIL

Més que un club.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 09:11:50 AM »
Yorke missed penalties for us and for Man U before.
But he regained ppls trust.

Stern could still regain the team's and fans' maybe even Disgruntled's trust :)
He just have to put his head down and score some goals.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »

it had more to do with getting our leading scorer to get a goal and get some confidence going for the campaign..why??...because yorke knows how important stern is to tnt...unlike some of us here...

Well said Big Mag  :applause: :applause: :applause: ...unfortunately few here wud understand that .

As for the part where the reporter say 'When he (Dwight) hesitated, John asked him if he doubted that he could score. John convinced the captain that he would easily score. ...Andre Baptiste yuh is ah dyam blasted liar that verbal exchange never happened .
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 09:29:03 AM »
So, question: whaiz de state ah Stern's confidence right arong NOW?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

Andre Baptiste yuh is ah dyam blasted liar that verbal exchange never happened .

you get a special broadcast of the game or wha

how you know that never happen??

Més que un club.

1]; } ?>