April 28, 2024, 11:03:02 PM

Author Topic: Morris calls for younger players in Warriors line-up.  (Read 4620 times)

Offline soca_randy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Morris calls for younger players in Warriors line-up.
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:08:14 AM »
Morris calls for younger players in Warriors line-up.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).

It might seem like a simple missed opportunity now but, at the end of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, that swirling free kick from El Salvador's Osael Romero last Wednesday could come back to haunt Trinidad and Tobago.

With the last kick of the match in San Salvador, Romero chipped it sweetly and neatly out of the reach of T&T custodian Clayton Ince, stealing a point from a match that seemed destined for a loss for the home side.

From the distraught look on the faces of the T&T players, coach and fans alike, the magnitude of a botched penalty, a host of chances that went a-begging, and an inexplicable offside call must have sunk in.

But Clayton Morris, the T&T "Strike Squad" skipper during that infamous 1989 USA home match when one goal separated the teams, dashing T&T's hopes of making their World Cup debut at the 1990 finals, thinks that the result was a good one.

"I don't feel we dropped a point," the FPATT (Football Players of T&T) vice-president told the Express. "Playing away from home it's always good coming away with one point. We would say we dropped a point because we were leading, but that is different. We went in with a point, and we came back with one."

Some important issues were highlighted in Wednesday's match, some by Morris himself.

First, the T&T side comprised all eight foreign-based players in the starting XI in preference to the local-based players who trained for more than two weeks in Argentina for the match.

"I was expecting about five or six of the players who went to Argentina to the training camp to be in the (starting) team," Morris explained. "It was clear we lacked that togetherness in the team. When you're under pressure you need that cohesiveness more. That was where El Salvador came back into the game. It was a sure case of a lack of camaraderie, to make sure the team gelled."

Add to that the heavy reliance on the aging players-T&T had the highest average age of any 2006 World Cup team-which Morris agreed played some part in a youthful El Salvador's comeback,

"This team should really be training to give them the confidence, not just holding on until the foreign-based players come. It will come a time when we will have to depend on them in the near future. We have to go to the young players," Morris pleaded.

It might be easy to put the blame squarely on the shoulders of T&T striker Stern John, who reportedly asked to take the second penalty referee Marco Rodriguez of Mexico awarded the visitors. After all, he did miss the penalty that would have put T&T 3-0 up, by a mile. In football, it's often those crucial misses that hurt the guilty party in the end.

But T&T did struggle in the final 20 minutes, allowing the hosts back into the match and that, more than anything, must be a red flag for the technical staff.

"It was a sure case of youth against experience, (or) I should say youth with energy," Morris noted.

That left a "bitter taste" in coach Francisco Maturana's mouth.

The good news for T&T is that it is only the first match of the final round, which gives them some time to regroup and work out the kinks for the biggest match ahead, most notably a home clash with Honduras on March 28.

When they will have to do without captain Dwight Yorke, custodian Clayton Ince and England-born midfielder Christ Birchall.

All is definitely not lost and T&T are still firmly in the running for a second successive World Cup berth. But if, God forbid, the Soca Warriors stay true to 'Trini' form and leave it until late to qualify for 2010 World Cup South Africa, they may very well reflect on the chances that could have been from a 2-0 advantage over a stuttering El Salvador outfit.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:47:00 AM by Flex »

Offline soca_randy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Morris Calls for Younger Players in warriors line-up
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:12:07 AM »
What Morris says makes sense, but the question remains do we have the younger players capable to play at that level in front of the likes of Jones, Scotland etc.

And if we do, who would you drop from the Pros and replace with the younger players.

I would like to hear peoples views

Socarandy
UK Based

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Morris Calls for Younger Players in warriors line-up
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:48:34 AM »
What Morris says makes sense, but the question remains do we have the younger players capable to play at that level in front of the likes of Jones, Scotland etc.

And if we do, who would you drop from the Pros and replace with the younger players.

I would like to hear peoples views

Socarandy
UK Based

Really, what level Jones play for we on the international scene?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Morris calls for younger players in Warriors line-up.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:46:53 AM »
D yutes could not beat Bermuda people so what magical happen since June 08 to now. Y he eh say betta team selection like JJ instead ah MH.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »
D yutes could not beat Bermuda people so what magical happen since June 08 to now. Y he eh say betta team selection like JJ instead ah MH.

which youths was in that squad dat lost to bermuda in trinidad.... except for  farrier and the right back
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:11:41 AM »
So wit Bermuda d set ah time we play Guyana, Haiti etc d yutes dat have 2 b found have been found. It eh have no yutes around that beein shafted for d old fellas dat is meh pt. So 4 JB 2 b makin d yute argument is a fallacy.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:15:54 AM »
I think that the mix is about right. Just some little things need to change. Daniel should have taken our free kicks. With a 2 nil lead there is no way that Me mum should have been sub off, he is by far our best defensive mid.I think that our biggest problem is our mentality. We don't have a killer instinct and is not just football. Look how many times the West Indies does have a team on the ropes but then allow the tail to score big runs. We have to fight right til the end. We should never take our foot off the gas.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:19:25 AM by che »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:00:03 AM »
Morris make a good point. The EPL players only had about 3 days practice. They were flat in the 2nd have. They bun. Dwight and the othe mids. did not control the middle putting plenty pressure on the defence.  Pressure bust pipe.

Che, to say that TT players don't have a winning mentality is not true. The have a strong attitude, it just that they ain't good enough. TT players take too long to develop. The development process is always hampered by other factors, poor coaching, lacking of financial resources and/or TTFF(well should I elaborate).

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
I think that the mix is about right. Just some little things need to change. Daniel should have taken our free kicks. With a 2 nil lead there is no way that Me mum should have been sub off, he is by far our best defensive mid.I think that our biggest problem is our mentality. We don't have a killer instinct and is not just football. Look how many times does the West Indies does have a team on the ropes but then allow the tail to score big runs. We have to fight right til the end. We should never take our foot off the gas.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
I agree with Clayton,from day one my intentions was never of reaching SA,the foreign based players who went to the last WC are older,they don't have the fire in their belly to go their again,the youths are the ones who have never been there and it's experience they will gain so the next WC they will be ready,everything i'm hearing is who we will put for this or that one,look Yorke and them have to miss some games,don't we have to find guys to replace them?we spinning top in mud and blaming Coaches.   

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:02 AM »
I agree with Clayton,from day one my intentions was never of reaching SA,the foreign based players who went to the last WC are older,they don't have the fire in their belly to go their again,the youths are the ones who have never been there and it's experience they will gain so the next WC they will be ready,everything i'm hearing is who we will put for this or that one,look Yorke and them have to miss some games,don't we have to find guys to replace them?we spinning top in mud and blaming Coaches.   
   :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ent ah saying  so?

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=40607.msg530748#msg530748

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »

Your intention was not 2 go but WC is a cash cow.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
Dat man go write dis after de Gold Cup...ah mean de Grenada Debacle?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »
I agree with Clayton,from day one my intentions was never of reaching SA,

Wit all due respeck, dat have to rank amongst de all time mos total piece a assholery I read on dis board.

Wha yuh takin part in WC Qualifying for if de intention is NOT to qualify?

Yuh intention is to qualify fuh 2014?  And den WCQ come around in 2014 and de team do exactly like wha de Strike Squad do in 1993 and lorse to jamaica and get lick out at de preliminary stage despite havin arguably one a we best ever teams?

Sorry Coop's.....cyah agree wit dah dotishness.  If yuh participatin...participate to de max.  Dis bullshit bout buildin fuh future is why yuh have U 23 and U 20 teams....NOT usin senior men's national teams fuh dat purpose.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
Palos yu don't have to get all upset about anything i say,i'm not JW,i don't run TTFF or FIFA,i just giving my views just like everybody else,at least one man agree with me and i know many others want too but because of guys like you they are afraid,but i does always say all yu have to continue f**king me up on this website,i not going any where,some day we all have to meet in person and i expect to be shot.   

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »
Palos yu don't have to get all upset about anything i say,i'm not JW,i don't run TTFF or FIFA,i just giving my views just like everybody else,at least one man agree with me and i know many others want too but because of guys like you they are afraid,but i does always say all yu have to continue f**king me up on this website,i not going any where,some day we all have to meet in person and i expect to be shot.    

......seriously ah doh know if to  :rotfl: or  :'(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »
I agree with Clayton,from day one my intentions was never of reaching SA,

Wit all due respeck, dat have to rank amongst de all time mos total piece a assholery I read on dis board.

Wha yuh takin part in WC Qualifying for if de intention is NOT to qualify?

Yuh intention is to qualify fuh 2014?  And den WCQ come around in 2014 and de team do exactly like wha de Strike Squad do in 1993 and lorse to jamaica and get lick out at de preliminary stage despite havin arguably one a we best ever teams?

Sorry Coop's.....cyah agree wit dah dotishness.  If yuh participatin...participate to de max.  Dis bullshit bout buildin fuh future is why yuh have U 23 and U 20 teams....NOT usin senior men's national teams fuh dat purpose.

Yuh being harsh on Coops because his suggestion is not that far off-base.

It have plenty teams in the past defer to playing younger players in qualification tournaments. You basically comparing the young players to the experienced ones and asking yuhself "are the experienced players THAT MUCH better?". Once that answer is "No" then yuh try to qualify with the youths but at least yuh have the consolation of building for the future. That is what we always talking about on here.

In any case Palos ask yuh self if we "participating to the max" right now? It seems like for the last year the management has been making the decision to look to the future. Somebody obviously decide that despite his way superior experience it don't make sense going with Avery. If we were seriously looking short term, with singular focus of SA2010 qualification, it is unlikely that a single local-based would be on that side.

What Coops and Morris might be saying is that we already doing thing halfway might as well go all the way.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »

My sentiments exactly there Sugar
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »

Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but sounds to me like you and Alberta saying that we should try to qualify for the WC every eight years. With the right mix and the right coaching this team can do it.The goal should be to qualify all the time.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »
There are certain things i would have liked to explain here but i think i'll pass,you see how man done start to cuss and get on,yes Coop's on the floor,don't worry guys i gone.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 04:02:30 PM »

I sad that because that's how Trini's dealing with their problems today.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 04:04:56 PM »
There are certain things i would have liked to explain here but i think i'll pass,you see how man done start to cuss and get on,yes Coop's on the floor,don't worry guys i gone.

Coop's drink ah guiness and strengthen yuh back nuh man..

you have men on here to study? steups, look eh...

if yuh know yuh talking sense then talk yuh talk..

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 04:26:09 PM »

Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but sounds to me like you and Alberta saying that we should try to qualify for the WC every eight years. With the right mix and the right coaching this team can do it.The goal should be to qualify all the time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me be emphatic in my response. I am in agreement in so far that Coops mentioned  that 'we seem to be spinning top in mud and blaming coaches. When the real intent of this campaign is puzzling at times, it would appear that  we have a depth like never before. I did not say  that qualifying for TNT should be on an  8 year cycle. I most definitely think that our present situation is more than one of simply  blaming a COACH!!!!!   

Look our aging veterans are simply that aging to heavily rely on them  may not be feasible on the other hand our, younger players are lacking  experience but nonetheless we have some positive potential upside with the players who are given ample opportunities. So do we have what it takes to get through???????? That's left to be seen do we have players that could mature into  a force in 2014?? I would say that response also is applicable to most other nations including Jamaica, Grenada etc.... so in my  belief system on any given dy on any given time  the mighty could crumble much lies with what I have to say here:  http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=40607.msg530748#msg530748

This will attest to where I believe that accountability lies. 10% IS SITUATIONAL 90% is how one reacts to adversity.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:36:04 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »

Coop's drink ah guiness and strengthen yuh back nuh man..

you have men on here to study? steups, look eh...

if yuh know yuh talking sense then talk yuh talk..
       I eh studying nobody is they that studying me,from the time i say something on here all of them does jump,it have they padner and them saying the same thing and no one does bulge,i don't need any support or back up to say what i want to say,by the way i wish guiness used to strengthen your back.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:08 PM »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me be emphatic in my response. I am in agreement in so far that Coops mentioned  that 'we seem to be spinning top in mud and blaming coaches. When the real intent of this campaign is puzzling at times, it would appear that  we have a depth like never before. I did not say  that qualifying for TNT should be on an  8 year cycle. I most definitely think that our present situation is more than one of simply  blaming a COACH!!!!!   

Look our aging veterans are simply that aging to heavily rely on them  may not be feasible on the other hand our, younger players are lacking  experience but nonetheless we have some positive potential upside with the players who are given ample opportunities. So do we have what it takes to get through???????? That's left to be seen do we have players that could mature into  a force in 2014?? I would say that response also is applicable to most other nations including Jamaica, Grenada etc.... so in my  belief system on any given dy on any given time  the mighty could crumble much lies with what I have to say here:  http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=40607.msg530748#msg530748

This will attest to where I believe that accountability lies. 10% IS SITUATIONAL 90% is how one reacts to adversity.
BREDS MORRIS TALKING OUT AH TIMMIN !! and you as far as the coaching is concrened, why do you think clubs the world over does go to great lenghts to fire and hire coaches, that's BC your team is ah good as yuh coach!!

as for what morris said, he probably didn't follow the team since the nut case started coaching ? BC if he did so, then he would not have put his foot all the way up in his mouth!

bermuda run rings around that rookie team, the U.S. tore them ah new a$$hole in chicago wid ah 70% yute team, grenada, put we to shame , and so did barbados with a yute team.

them fellas ain't ready to play on their own as of yet, they need to learn what they can from the seasoned over seas players , they also need to secure foreign contracts to learn their craft properly.

our local standard is piss poor, maybe the poorest league in the world, we need to up the antie or deal with the consequences.

breds this coach has been making things hard on him self from day 1 , and by the looks of it he's behind time on his tactics. he's been excluding players who could get the job done.

i'm 100% sure if we had that WC team in El salvador ,cyd and avery and beenhakker included, we would've came away with a win!         

that coach is mad! he's ah dunce, he can't recocnize true talent, he can't rotate players , he can't motivate players either,So what is he good for! get rid !  and we'll start winning!

PS: Breds most of our overseas players are under 30 and to me that is young! birchall 23, kenwyn 24, scotty 28, spann 27, carlos i believe just turned 29,  cornell  glenn former overseas 27,  roberts 25, julius james 23, bleeder 26.

as a matter of fact we only had 4 old men on that team in el salv, yorke 37, stern 31, lawrence 34, ince 36 37, and only yorkie from what i read was exausted.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:15:11 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 06:13:36 PM »

I apologize Coop's.  It was never my intention to f**k u or anybody else up, make anybody feel any kinda how, or make anybody feel dat dey cyah speak dey piece.  Men could disagree without goin overboard.  I didn't think I went overboard but obviously you did so I'll temper my comments if any in de future.

Respeck as always.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »

I apologize Coop's.  It was never my intention to f**k u or anybody else up, make anybody feel any kinda how, or make anybody feel dat dey cyah speak dey piece.  Men could disagree without goin overboard.  I didn't think I went overboard but obviously you did so I'll temper my comments if any in de future.

Respeck as always.
         Breds,cool man  :beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:40 PM »
Coops,
            Don't stop. Keep the message going!!!!!!!

Offline everhigh

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 10:20:42 PM »
I agree with Morris 100%.  Back in '89 Yorke and Latas were almost babies and were working magic for the country.  Scouts need to get into the senior comprehensive schools or as camp suggested the other day, develop a rehabilitation program in the prisons for men with football skills and who knows, we might just finds some great and gifted players. 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 02:05:22 AM »
I agree with Morris 100%.  Back in '89 Yorke and Latas were almost babies and were working magic for the country.  Scouts need to get into the senior comprehensive schools or as camp suggested the other day, develop a rehabilitation program in the prisons for men with football skills and who knows, we might just finds some great and gifted players. 
Yorke and latas does come around every 40 yrs.

breds time is opon us , we don't have the luxury to bleed new talent, this is the hex! what you sugested is OK after we qualify, BC yuh dun see where the rookies eh able.

BTW what do we do in the mean time dem young boys developing? as the saying goes, while the grass growing the cow starving!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>