April 29, 2024, 01:09:44 AM

Author Topic: El Salvador vs USA(1989)  (Read 827 times)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
El Salvador vs USA(1989)
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:04:51 PM »
Go back to 1989 when we needed a draw with USA to get to Italy,that was made possible bcoz the weakest team in the Hex,El Salvador held USA TO A 0-0 DRAW.The USA team officials could not believe their bad luck on having to go to TT and win.They even said that TT officials bribed them to play well coz they nothing to play for.I am just pointing out that we may think that we suffered by dropping 2 points but ES COULD PROBABLY DO THE SAME TO OTHER TEAMS AS THEY DID TO US,LETS WAIT FOR SOME MORE BIGGER SHOCKS.
We all know wah happen in 89,we didn't accept El Salvador help.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: El Salvador vs USA(1989)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:35:32 PM »
Good point..but you could sell ice to Eskimos if you could get that point across to those who saw us go two up inside the first 30 mins, then draw ...
The point is not so much that we drew but it is the manner in which we performed or did not perform. I will agree with JB who pointed to the age of the team. That could explain why we seemed out of it in the second half.. I saw an antique today on the highway..a zephyr with a soft top ..it was the best looking car on the road ..but every car was going past it ....get meh point ..Yorke, stern, tallest, even carlos eh spring chickens, although they might look fit.
USA change two whole teams since Yorke and latapy days .... Lalas coaching , coby johes is ah commentator ..none ah dem teams expecting people who past their sell by date to be still key on a WC team.
The next point is team discipline ....man could do what dey want on de field ...look at the captain's example.
This El Salvador team had young runners ...look how many fouls we gave up because of late tackles ...message here to all teams is ..run them hard they will capitulate and give up fouls !!!
How do we change that ? If we dont ..the same thing will happen ...

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: El Salvador vs USA(1989)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:14:53 AM »
JAIJOHN,ah see yuh point especially bout our older players so now is the chance to use younger replacements,people shouldn't expect another Yorke but a good performance by the replacements should augur well for the matches to come.I say replacements but Yorke and Birchall are the only people needs to be sorted,as for Ince we have plenty GKs.I dont see no reason why we cant beat Honduras at home,especially if we play  the way I know we can,I at least expect a draw if we dont win,remember Honduras is not in a very clever situation right now and its going to interesting to see how they approach this one,we have men who can hurt them if they come and leave themselves open by looking for a win,of course I expect them to look for a win but they have to be very circumspect.I think we are in a happier situation.I HOPE.

1]; } ?>