April 18, 2024, 10:58:52 PM

Author Topic: USA  (Read 14503 times)

truetrini

Re: USA
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2009, 02:58:50 PM »
You seem to suffer from a common affliction here in America... being born with your mouth situated too close to your asshole.

:o...you SURE you wanted to type that?...yuh take ah xanax this mornin or wha?

Scientists trace the spread of the epidemic back to Canada....

RIM SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »
Dutty, I here, if ya need back up :D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
I was ignoring this thread for de past couple days but when I finally read the thing I can understand why real men on Zeppo case.

The comparison between Latas and Reyna is unfair to both....two different players.

The only US player I can remember from the US with the syle, control/touch and artistry that could stand in the same half of the field as Latas is Hugo Perez . He was a damn good baller.

Zeppo, your arguments concerning the leagues where Latas played is also flawed because Hugo perez was a real boss but he played overseas in Saudia Arabia and the lower levels in France. The fact remains that coming out of the CONCACAF region, there werent many opportuinties for our players at big names clubs.

I remembered Hugo in the WCQ for the 1990 WC, silky smooth, nice touches ..but injuries kept him off the US team and when he finally recovered, he wasn't quite the same.

I said before that Latas is one the best I've ever seen play the game period ... and no US born player that I know of is in his class or has attained his stature regardless of position...

And I'm even willing to wager that Hugo Perez was not even Amrerican born, not that this has anything to do with it.

My memory is not that great but if anyone remembers Hugo Perez, please comment.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:45:03 PM by College »

truetrini

« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2009, 09:56:52 PM »
I was ignoring this thread for de past couple days but when I finally read the thing I can understand why real men on Zeppo case.

The comparison between Latas and Reyna is unfair to both....two different players.

The only US player I can remember from the US with the syle, control/touch and artistry that could stand in the same half of the field as Latas is Hugo Perez . He was a damn good baller.

Zeppo, your arguments concerning the leagues where Latas played is also flawed because Hugo perez was a real boss but he played overseas in Saudia Arabia and the lower levels in France. The fact remains that coming out of the CONCACAF region, there werent many opportuinties for our players at big names clubs.

I remembered Hugo in the WCQ for the 1990 WC, silky smooth, nice touches ..but injuries kept him off the US team and when he finally recovered, he wasn't quite the same.

I said before that Latas is one the best I've ever seen play the game period ... and no US born player that I know of is in his class or has attained his stature regardless of position...

And I'm even willing to wager that Hugo Perez was not even Amrerican born, not that this has anything to do with it.

Yuh eh lie, dat man was decent, he almost get sign by Ajax, but de US side he was on did not release de man...unbelievable bad luck

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »

College, Zeppo is a tiny part of the 4 page discussion we have going here, the actual substance of his contribution is even more meager.  He's an imps pay him no mind.

But yuh call a good name there, I clean forget about Hugo Perez and yeah I remember her as being born elsewhere... I had to google it, but he was born in El Salvador and moved to the US at 11.  My memory is sketchy, in part because I saw him at a time when injuries severely limited his playing time.  In fact, according to wikipedia Johan Cruyff wanted him to join his Parma outfit but work permit requirements mandated that he play in a World Cup.  That opportunity presented itself in Italy 90, but Gansler left him off the team... maybe due to injuries or whatever. 

Shame to say that part of the reason I remember him is because I always confused him with Hugo Sanchez... not as a player, but just by name... b/c I couldn't stand Sanchez (hard to believe I came to detest Blanco even more).  But good call on Perez, I like to see good underrated players recognized by fans.

truetrini

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2009, 12:05:52 AM »
why you hate Blanco and Sanchez breds?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2009, 12:55:27 AM »
why you hate Blanco and Sanchez breds?

Two primadonna fassies who never saw a patch of grass that didn't need lying down on.  Plus Blanco like to spit in man face and use racial epithets.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »

I was responding to the claim that US hasn't produced a player on par with Latapy. I said that I'd put Reyna's career up against Latapy's any day, and I stand by that.

It's true that CONCACAF players had major difficulties in getting to Europe for many years. Reyna is younger than Latapy, but when he went to Europe there still wasn't a pro league in the USA either. Reyna was, however, offered a contract from Barcelona when Cruyff spotted him playing at the 1992 Olympics, but he turned it down because he wanted to stay in college. Dumb move, I know, but it's a fact.

Latapy did well to arrive in Portugal with only Caribbean league ball under his belt, and did even better to work his way up to a contract with Porto, one of the league's Big Three. His time there was a mixed bag of ups and downs, and eventually they sold him to Boavista. Hardly a step up. And a move to the Scottish 2nd division with Hibernian was even less impressive. Yes, he eventually made it to one of the two teams in Scotland who actually challenge for trophies, but I've already mentioned how his Rangers stint went.

I'm not questioning his talent. But I think he underachieved because he was simply content to stay in his "comfort zone". Of course, those motivational and disciplinary problems -- things like the drunk driving incident, cigarette habit and walking out on T&T in the middle of a World Cup qualifying campaign -- most likely did their part to scare off any potential suitors from better leagues, too.

At the end of the day Latapy never played in a top tier European league. Reyna, however, established himself as a starter in both the Bundesliga and the English Premier League for multiple seasons. Those are facts. And anyone who has convinced himself that the Portuguese and Scottish leagues are on par with them is delusional.

I know that Latapy is a hero in T&T and to many supporters in Scotland and Portugal. But to an outside observer his resume is just not as impressive as many here like to imagine it is.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2009, 09:24:19 AM »
Zeppo HYMC... FU.... No player the US has ever produce will ever have the skill set that Latapy possesses. He could teach Claudio a thing or two....

Word of advice doh bring a knife to a gunfight...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:29 AM »

I know that Latapy is a hero in T&T and to many supporters in Scotland and Portugal. But to an outside observer his resume is just not as impressive as many here like to imagine it is.

So you're saying that we should judge a player's merit by the perception of outside observers of his resume, as opposed to by those who followed the player day in and day out?

That doesn't seem to make any sense... 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »

But I think he underachieved because he was simply content to stay in his "comfort zone".

??? ??? ???
Define "comfort zone".....Also, did it occur to you that Latapy's height may have been a disadvantage to him in taking his career further.   Additionally, name the country where Reyna is revered as much as Latapy is in Scotland.....

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2009, 10:30:58 AM »

But I think he underachieved because he was simply content to stay in his "comfort zone".

??? ??? ???
Define "comfort zone".....Also, did it occur to you that Latapy's height may have been a disadvantage to him in taking his career further.   Additionally, name the country where Reyna is revered as much as Latapy is in Scotland.....

USA... USA... USA...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »

??? ??? ???

USA... USA... USA...

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Good one....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »

So you're saying that we should judge a player's merit by the perception of outside observers of his resume, as opposed to by those who followed the player day in and day out?

That doesn't seem to make any sense... 

funny thing is every Trini football fan thinks Latapy underachieved resume-wise, so Zeppo is just talking out of his arse. comfort zone? A T&T player making his way up to the top team in two foreign countries (one with a foreign language) after starting in the 2nd division in each is sticking to his comfort zone? Didn't Reyna return to his comort zone after manCity no longer wanted him and released him. Yet somehow Latas decided to continue to try and make it in Europe well past his prime. What a joke. And don't look at reyna's resume too closely..you'll see huge holes in Zeppo's argument's. BUt seriously..no need to waste down Reyna to big up Latapy. I'm just saying that when you start making stupid arguments it's easy to poke holes in it.

Both reyna and Lasta were top players and went far for guys from nation's that don't get much respect at an international level (especially true of T&T..not so much for US anymore). I think Latapy was a different level in terms of ability. At the end of the day, one was holding midielder/right back..the other was a creative midfielder. No contest on who had more ability on the ball imo. Reyna probably was the better professional, and maybe the more consistent..seemed to have good relationships with his coaches, unlike Latas. But in the end, I don't think Reyna ever played for a team the level of Porto. You can say what you want about which league is stronger than which..but playing for POrto in Portugal is arguably better than playing for Man City in the EPL, or Rangers in the SPL. Porto would consistently beat either side due to more quality in the squad and POrto is a much bigger player in Europe than either. Reyna's physique, ability and style and just overall situation meant he was able to test himself in a couple tougher leagues, but the highest he ever reached isn't quite as high as Latapy, regardless of what you think Latapy did with the chance.

AND ALL that I've said is just to refute the pointless claims of Zeppo regarding resume and career trajectory. I've barely even touched upon what I think makes Latapy a better player..which is what one should be discussing here
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:20:17 AM by Filho »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
Wait nah.... I was not going to say nutten but i cay believe Zeppo attack Latas like this....
Nah nah.... no freaking way he go come here and compare Latas to a bamsee scratcher like Renya...

Zeppo you living in the hills of Tennuhsee??? Please lay of the moon shine, think before you type and refrain from typing with your prick.... because yuh go come here and write chupidness like this about a Concacaf hero... no way... We will settle this score on April 1st...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »
I was responding to the claim that US hasn't produced a player on par with Latapy. I said that I'd put Reyna's career up against Latapy's any day, and I stand by that.

It's true that CONCACAF players had major difficulties in getting to Europe for many years. Reyna is younger than Latapy, but when he went to Europe there still wasn't a pro league in the USA either. Reyna was, however, offered a contract from Barcelona when Cruyff spotted him playing at the 1992 Olympics, but he turned it down because he wanted to stay in college. Dumb move, I know, but it's a fact.

Latapy did well to arrive in Portugal with only Caribbean league ball under his belt, and did even better to work his way up to a contract with Porto, one of the league's Big Three. His time there was a mixed bag of ups and downs, and eventually they sold him to Boavista. Hardly a step up. And a move to the Scottish 2nd division with Hibernian was even less impressive. Yes, he eventually made it to one of the two teams in Scotland who actually challenge for trophies, but I've already mentioned how his Rangers stint went.

I'm not questioning his talent. But I think he underachieved because he was simply content to stay in his "comfort zone". Of course, those motivational and disciplinary problems -- things like the drunk driving incident, cigarette habit and walking out on T&T in the middle of a World Cup qualifying campaign -- most likely did their part to scare off any potential suitors from better leagues, too.

At the end of the day Latapy never played in a top tier European league. Reyna, however, established himself as a starter in both the Bundesliga and the English Premier League for multiple seasons. Those are facts. And anyone who has convinced himself that the Portuguese and Scottish leagues are on par with them is delusional.

Like I said... you're an imps... in Trini vernacular that's a nice way of saying you're an idiot... a little bit touched in the head.  Everything you say there reeks of the usual arrogance that Americans are often accused of.  You remain obtuse "standing by" your conviction in spite of the objective evidence before your eyes.  Four Four Two isn't the bible when it comes to football and its word isn't the gospel, but the fact that they have him rated among such quality international footballers should be all you need to know.  According to you, your 'outside' perspective doesn't have him rated too high, therefore he must not be worthy of such high praise as lauded on him here.  As Kicker implied, objective evidence be damned, Americans don't rate him highly so he's not worthy of being rated highly.  Sorry I'll take Four Four Two's "outside" observation over yours any day.  But yet you talk about "delusional".

You can stand by your conviction that Reyna somehow is up there with Latapy all you want, all it does is confirm that your knowledge of football is minimal at best.  I hardly think even Reyna himself would put himself up there with Latapy... let alone for the comparison to be made by some arrogant know-nothing such as yourself.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:02:29 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
Zeppo even if I agreed with you, by now you should know that this forum is the last place to say anything critical of Latapy...come on now...

It's an unwritten rule that you are obliged to follow....

By the way, allyuh warm Zepps not tuh bowl full toss in first class cricket nuh....lawwd long time since I see a man get lix like this...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:18:31 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:01 PM »
Zeppo even if I agreed with you, by now you should know that this forum is the last place to say anything critical of Latapy...come on now...

It's an unwritten rule that you are obliged to follow....

By the way, allyuh warm Zepps not tuh bowl full toss in first class cricket nuh....lawwd long time since I see a man get lix like this...

I usually go out of my way to engage this dude b/c personally, it's good to get different perspectives and as long as we all have football in common I don't really care one way or another where you're from or who you support.  That said, this is the second time I've given this dude the benefit of the doubt and he's turned around and revealed himself to be an ass. 

To be fair this time he's just expressing his opinion as opposed to saying something really out of place like the last time (can't even remember what it was now that he said).  However for him to be so misinformed yet dug into that position... to be so happily ignorant of what's going on outside his little American world is all the indication I need that I shouldn't bother wasting time or energy engaging him.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Predictions on 9 U.S. World Cup qualifiers
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2009, 07:51:32 PM »
Predictions on 9 U.S. World Cup qualifiers
By Luis Arroyave (Chicago Tribune)

The United States will travel from El Salvador to Washington D.C., to lock up one of the CONCACAF region's three automatic World Cup bids in the nine games it has before the event opens in South Africa. Here is a look at the remaining World Cup U.S. qualifying schedule:

March 28 at El Salvador: The U.S. will be without goalkeeper Tim Howard (yellow card accumulation). Coach Bob Bradley could turn to Homer Glen-native Brad Guzan. Prediction: U.S. 3-1.

April 1 vs. Trinidad & Tobago: The visitors were without Dwight Yorke when it lost 3-0 to the U.S. in September at Toyota Park. Would the Sunderland midfielder reverse the Soca Warriors fortunes in the U.S. if he plays? Unless their defense improves—probably not. Prediction: U.S. 2-0.

June 3 at Costa Rica: Next to the game in Mexico, this will be the toughest challenge on the U.S. schedule. The U.S. is 0-6-2 in Costa Rica. Prediction: Costa Rica 1-0.

June 6 vs. Honduras: Benfica forward David Suazo is one of the region's most dangerous players and could pose a threat to the U.S. back line at Soldier Field. The U.S. has won four straight against Honduras by an 11-1 margin. Prediction: U.S. 2-0.

Aug. 12 at Mexico: Though the U.S. has outscored Mexico 19-3 while going 9-0-2 in its last 11 home games against it after last week's 2-0 victory, Estadio Azteca in Mexico City has been a house of horrors for the Yanks. The U.S. is 0-22-1 in Mexico. Prediction: Mexico 1-0.

Sept. 5 vs. El Salvador: The United States is 10-0-2 at home against El Salvador and it's likely that streak will continue against the weakest team still alive in the region. Prediction: U.S. 3-0.

Sept. 9 at Trinidad & Tobago: The United States' only loss in the previous qualifying round came against Trinidad & Tobago on Oct. 15. Bradley fielded a less experienced U.S. squad because the Americans already had earned a spot in the final qualifying round. Prediction: U.S. 2-1.

Oct. 10 at Honduras: Honduras is very capable of earning one of the regions three automatic World Cup bids, which means it could lay it all on the line. Prediction: U.S. 1-0.

Oct. 14 vs. Costa Rica: Chances are the U.S. already will have qualified for the World Cup at this point. If that's the case, Bradley could call in a less experienced squad for this qualifier in Washington, D.C. Prediction: Tie, 1-1.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>