April 20, 2024, 02:16:03 AM

Author Topic: Lasana & Fenwick share their views on the game vs El Salvador.  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Lasana & Fenwick share their views on the game vs El Salvador.
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »
Goal Post Review, with; Inshan "Flex" Mohammed.

Trinidad and Tobago Express freelance writer Lanana Liburd and San Juan Jaboteh head coach Terry Fenwick share their views with the Soca Warriors Online on the T&T versus El Salvador match and, also touched on T&T's upcoming match against Honduras.

Terry Fenwick: The game was full of thrills and spills.

"It must have been great viewing for the neutral fan...?

"Strictly on a professional basis and most definitely in the T&T camp, we must enjoy shooting ourselves in the foot....?

"Make no mistake!  In World Cup qualifiers it is the result that counts, not the performance. At 2-0 up and with a penalty to come, three points are essential ! Professionalism and experience were amiss, at 3-0 El Salvador fans would have been at their own players throats". "The game would have been over !

The missed penalty did two things.

1. Seriously energize the opposition.

2. Have a negative impact on our own players.

"There is no time for sentiment or the old pals act... come on Dwight, knock it in mate! International football the world over, you don't get opportunities like that, kill the game off and prepare well for the next game on a 3 point high."

"T&T had a great start to the game, scoring early and controlling the tempo, the 4-4-2 formation suited our high energy approach. "After 30 minutes, 2-0 up and numerous missed chances, the energy levels in the T&T team dropped and the cracks started to appear. "El Salvador had not really produced a clear cut chance in the early stages but when the game stretched and the gaps opened up, their confidence grew. "Discipline was required and we fell short".

"The fans may reflect on the other chances T&T missed, the pro's will tell you. At 2-0 up, frustrate the opposition, close the game down, make it tough, restrict their movement, stay focused, compact and win the game"

"Furthermore, at 2-0 up, we were still attacking like we were losing and our shape was cast aside. "We became very stretched in the second half, we could clearly define our forwards and defenders but there was nothing in between".

"El Salvador controlled the midfield and by extension the pace of the game in the second half and started to ask questions.. "We were naive in our play and contributed to our own downfall".

"Having started so well and in the driving seat at 2-0, T&T had reaped the rewards of the brave energetic start to the game playing 4-4-2, in the later stages of the first half and the last 15-20mins of the second half, we should have changed the shape of the team to restrict the movement of El Salvador".

"Yorke and Birchill were isolated and running on empty in the second half, a change of shape and personnel was required to solid the team shape and reduce El Salvador's space".

"The way in which we conceded the goals was another disappointment"..... "set-plays again !

"We have conceded six set plays in our last seven competitive games...?  Flex, please remind the technical staff that we can practice defensive set-plays as well as attacking in the build -up to our next WCQ game, please !

"In all, a disappointment, but, not something to dwell upon, it's done now.... lets get it right next time around".

"Honduras at home, they are without a point, we could go four in two..... that's what is important now !

"I assume we will have had them watched against Costa Rico, do the home work and prepare properly..... Come on T&T!!!

"Interesting selection problems for the Honduras game..... will Russell start, who will make up the midfield partnership and will Jason Scotland figure....?

"The El Salvador game was full of the thrills and spills of football".

Don't you just love football !!!

Lasana: There were more positives than negatives.

"I think there were more positives than negatives from the match. We reverted to 4-4-2, which seemed to work for much of the match and we created a lot of scoring opportunities".

"If we want to play to our strength, the 4-4-2 is our best system as it allows Carlos Edwards to play his natural position while it means that Kenwyne Jones will have a partner to help maximise his threat".

"Upfront seems to be the position where we have the most quality and I think it was a brave, progressive move to unleash our attackers. It was very regrettable that we could not hold out defensively. But then our defence did not look much steadier even when there were five midfielders in front of them rather than four".

"We needed more responsibility with and without the ball by our midfielders and attackers to help them out, which is not a new problem. Also, I feel we need new faces in the back".

"I struggle to see how Avery John and Brent Sancho and maybe even Cyd Gray would not add steel to what is there at present. We don't necessarily have to look backwards for help either".

"Glenton Wolfe is unfortunately not back to his best since a serious injury last year but I always felt Seon Power is a very good prospect for central defence rather than at right back where he is often played for the national team and looks mediocre".

"I also think Julius James (especially if he is willing to operate at right back), Noel Williams, Lyndon Diaz and Kareem Smith should be around the team if not pressing for starts".

"Honduras could be one of our most difficult opponents. When we meet the Central American teams and Mexico, we usually have an advantage with height and sometimes strength".

"Honduras, and to an extent Costa Rica, can match us in those areas and it might be more difficult for us to impose our game on them. Honduran striker David Suazo has always been a nightmare for our defence and he dominated Dennis Lawrence in their last meeting in the 2002 W/Cup campaign".

"A strong, aggressive start, if we can manage that, would be good when we meet Honduras. But we need to take better care of the ball later on. So, even without Yorke and Birchall, I would prefer to start off with Trent Noel and either Khaleem Hyland (who is finally playing club football again) or Densill Theobald".

"I think Latapy can play a very important role in the last 30 minutes as maybe he might have done in El Salvador if we had not "wasted" a substitution when we were forced to replace Keyeno Thomas with Makan Hislop, ended the T&T Express sport writer".
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:28:11 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Lasana & Fenwick share their views on the game vs El Salvador.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:53:10 PM »
"I think Latapy can play a very important role in the last 30 minutes as maybe he might have done in El Salvador if we had not "wasted" a substitution when we were forced to replace Keyeno Thomas with Makan Hislop, ended the T&T Express sport writer".

Wait, wasted, didn't Thomas get injured ? we had no choice to sub him, right... ?

Fenwick, talk he mind, I loving it...

Lasana right, Avery John and Brent Sancho and maybe even Cyd Gray should be reconsidered, but will the TTFF do this ? they treath unwanted players so bad and now they may have to put they tails between they legs and call these players back because Honduras is a vey good team and man like Aklie will get blown away.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »

Wait, wasted, didn't Thomas get injured ? we had no choice to sub him, right... ?

Lasana right, Avery John and Brent Sancho and maybe even Cyd Gray should be reconsidered, but will the TTFF do this ? they treath unwanted players so bad and now they may have to put they tails between they legs and call these players back because Honduras is a vey good team and man like Aklie will get blown away.

well he mean "wasted" in de sense that in essence we only had two subs to make as Keyeno substitution was forced by injury
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:36:02 PM »
Interesting reading coming from ah coach, though some might add he is ah 'nothing' coach cause he never make it big in England or whatever...anyway so....

'The missed penalty did two things.

2. Have a negative impact on our own players'

Is he trying to say that the missed penalty by STERN JOHN caused those two things?
He cyah be serious, that so logical and making so much sense.
Or is he just ah damn fool talking what he don't know bout?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
Interesting reading coming from ah coach, though some might add he is ah 'nothing' coach cause he never make it big in England or whatever...anyway so....

Is he trying to say that the missed penalty by STERN JOHN caused those two things?
He also said this:

"The fans may reflect on the other chances T&T missed" , but...

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »
"Make no mistake! In World Cup qualifiers it is the result that counts, not the performance. At 2-0 up and with a penalty to come, three points are essential ! Professionalism and experience were amiss, at 3-0 El Salvador fans would have been at their own players throats". "The game would have been over !.....

..."There is no time for sentiment or the old pals act... come on Dwight, knock it in mate! International football the world over, you don't get opportunities like that, kill the game off and prepare well for the next game on a 3 point high".....

... "Discipline was required and we fell short".....

".... we could clearly define our forwards and defenders but there was nothing in between".

Fenwick in, Latapy out?
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »

This is where Latas should use his influence on Jack. Pull yuh cord now Latas. Pull yuh cord!!!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 07:43:52 PM »
It have some tings dat not up 4 negotiation Sancho return is 1 of those tings.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 05:38:51 AM »
Both men talk good, I'm suprise Andre Samuel eh jump on Lasana report yet.

Lasana have to be mad to even make a comment like putting Seon Power in central defence !!!!! , leave Power far from T&T box, maybe right wing good.

Anybody better than Aklie Edwards, even Sancho or James on the left.

I admire the way Fenwick talks, straight and to the point, no BS....

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 06:48:07 AM »
Both men talk good, I'm suprise Andre Samuel eh jump on Lasana report yet.

Lasana have to be mad to even make a comment like putting Seon Power in central defence !!!!! , leave Power far from T&T box, maybe right wing good.

Anybody better than Aklie Edwards, even Sancho or James on the left.

I admire the way Fenwick talks, straight and to the point, no BS....
         Lasana have to leave Football alone.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »
Lasana make Palos day with that Seon Power remark, Palos must be loving he self all now.

Fenwick should get a chance with T&T youth teams as coach instead of Anton Corneal.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:26 AM »
Fenwick should get a chance with T&T youth teams as coach instead of Anton Corneal.

Agreed, Fenwick will do good with the youths like he did with Jabloteh last season....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:56:12 AM »
Hell, give Fenwick control of the senior team. He deserves it.

Good stuff, Flex.
Hart for president

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »

Good stuff, Flex.

Try him with the youths first, but if we fail to reach Africa then Fenwick is a good option for T&T with Latapy assisting also.

Seon Power in central defence will be a sight to see and a bad one at it, nuff teams will get penalty against us !!! Power has the speed to be a good right back or left wing, he just have to develop a bit more, same with Aklie.

Osei Teleford is a good central defence prospect.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »

Good stuff, Flex.

Try him with the youths first, but if we fail to reach Africa then Fenwick is a good option for T&T with Latapy assisting also.

Seon Power in central defence will be a sight to see and a bad one at it, nuff teams will get penalty against us !!! Power has the speed to be a good right back or left wing, he just have to develop a bit more, same with Aklie.

Osei Teleford is a good central defence prospect.
I thought i woulda never hear that on this site. that bredder has been a victim of the columbian dr jekell from day one, playing the man as a midfielder,ssttuueepppsss! and having ppl doggin the bredder when he don't measure up in that position. the man is ah defender yuh duncy coach !
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »

come man Fyzoman, yuh better than dat... speaking realistically about the psychological impact the missed penalty had on both teams is a far cry from saying that the missed penalty cost us the game.  You self know dat.

lol@Coop's... I actually thought Lasana was more balanced than he's been recently.  Saw a bMobile interview with him at halftime of the game (inside Trotter's) and his assessment was again fair, tempered optimism but still conceding room for improvement.  Who knew the tempest to later come.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 05:57:07 AM »
Can anyone confirm if Noel Williams is better than Aklie Edwards.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »
I hope Fenwick told them this also, I know they had a meeting with Latapy and the other Pro League coaches 2 days ago.

Is Lasana a football fan or just a writer ? because he made some good points here except for the one with Seon Power.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eye on the Prize By Lasana Liburd
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 07:05:34 PM »
 ;D Is this we boy Lasana to his credit he say he cant even remember this ,due to drink lol . Sorry partner,i love your writing  but I just had to' journalism and such lol   :rotfl:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:13:01 PM by Quagmire »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Eye on the Prize By Lasana Liburd
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »
Wha, he real gehin on dey, niceness man Compre
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>